Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hi-level / Hi-angle exhausts??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Couger
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:47 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Hi-level / Hi-angle exhausts?? Reply with quote

Hiya all,

I'm looking at getting a new exhaust for my R6, and I would really like something which has the angled look of the race bikes, in particular the Red Pirahna BSS R6.

Ive noticed loads of high level options like the Blue Flame can, however I've kinda of gone off these. I was wondering if to achieve the high angle but not high level (if you get what I mean Razz ) look of a race bike, you have to opt for a full system?

Could someone clear this up for me, or recommend a good option for a 2000 R6 in blue.

Cheers,
Cougs.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:03 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERM Try Wolf racing. I have a wolf road legal carbon can and its the best quality can I've seen. Rivetless design etc.

https://www.wolfracing.co.uk/

O/T for a second. I notice you have a VFR750 thats knackered.
You don't wanna buy a haynes manual do you? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 20:04 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Couger

Have a look at this thread-

https://pub114.ezboard.com/fyamahar6messagenetmodifications.showMessage?topicID=6611.topic

It's 12 pages long, but should have about every possible R6 pipe in it. Smile

Couger
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:48 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dusty,

Marjay, Ive already got one thanks, and have managed to make the VFR non nackered now!

Dusty, you had an Akra on your R6 didnt you, what are they like in terms of sound and styling?

Cougs.

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 22:12 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couger wrote:
Dusty, you had an Akra on your R6 didnt you, what are they like in terms of sound and styling?

Imho Akrapovic are the best slipon to go for performance wise. In terms of styling it's down to taste really, a lot of other manufacturers make exhausts that imitate the akra ones, so I guess they must be doing something right. The sound is good, although not as loud as something like an Art - which afaik is really just designed to be loud. The thing I love about the Akra's is the way they 'pop' when you throttle off, never heard another can quite like it. At night you can see mini backfires coming out, just from throttling off. Very Happy
An Akra is likely to be one of the most expensive options for a conventionally mounted can though - but then I guess you get what you pay for.
Mines not a road legal one by the way, but personally I wouldn't bother getting a road legal one - I've never heard of anyone getting done for having a non legal can.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:21 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're only saying its the best because you have one.

Just like IMHO Art is the best Smile

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 22:29 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You're only saying its the best because you have one.

Just like IMHO Art is the best Smile

I only said it was best performance wise imo. How many race teams use Art systems? Akrapovic seem to be the most widely used cans in WSB and BSB. I know a few blue flames, Microns etc are used - due to the teams being sponsered by them, but Akras rule. Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but with big name systems your really paying for that name more than say the quality of the materials used and the construction. IXIL make a fair few race bike zorsts, but they arn't so popular, as some of the other race systems, but that doesnt mean they arn't so good. IMHO pipes like Yoishimura which are big big bucks, are probably not any better designed and made as some of the less popular brands, but they get away with charging alot more for them, because everyone would rarther have a Yoshimura badge on their can, more as a fashion statement than anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Couger
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:51 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dusty, a guy is interested in selling me an Akra end can for £150 which is why I ask, im glad they are not mega loud as I don't want anything too mad. If I go for it could I upgrade it to a full system later, or would I have to get a full system with another end can included? Being dumb I know nothing! Very Happy

Stevo, its like everything, my DVD player cost £199, exactly the same as a Sony one but a different badge, the Sony one was £500! I do really like Akrapovic though. Cool

Cheers
Cougs.

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 23:32 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couger wrote:
could I upgrade it to a full system later, or would I have to get a full system with another end can included?

You would have to get a whole system, the pipes are wider on the full systems.

Stevo - yeah I agree, branding has a lot to do with the price, but I would maintain that Akra, Yoshi etc are well built and have had a lot of money put into R&D. Some of the cheaper alternatives, seem to be modeled on the better know pipes, so the probable reason they are cheaper is that they have had to spend less money on R&D. Ime a lot of the cheaper cans are more targeted at looking good or sounding loud, which personaly aren't big issues for me. I'd rather get something that will make a difference(albeit small) to performance.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 23:45 - 30 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

was planning on a Devil "Tuning" slip on for my R6, you might like it?

https://www.automotif.co.uk/cgi-bin/partno.cgi?site=devilbike&partno=53240

ive always had a thing for twin stack, its about 512 includin VAT

btw, great to hear you got an R6, how you finding it? and hows the navy treating you Smile ?
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Couger
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:02 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dusty

Hey Goose, yeah I dunno if I like the Devil system, bit radical for me. With regards to the bike, dunno how it is yet! Because I've been away dad had to pick it up, and its having its 33bhp kit put in at the mo, hoping it will be done before end of this Sunday, before I get on the lovely grey war canoe we call Ocean! But yeah, the RN is still ace!

Cougs.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 00:19 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

still waiting for my hand to sort, then im off on a similar grey war canoe Razz

my PVR date just went by...lost a lot of good mates this week cos of it Crying or Very sad
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 00:23 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:

I only said it was best performance wise imo. How many race teams use Art systems? Akrapovic seem to be the most widely used cans in WSB and BSB. I know a few blue flames, Microns etc are used - due to the teams being sponsered by them, but Akras rule. Smile

As I said...."If it's good enough for top race teams.." Razz

Couger
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:42 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

PVR, can't imagine its a pleasant business. Still, glad to see you didnt opt for it! Hope your hand sorts soon.

Cougs.

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 00:57 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stew wrote:
As I said...."If it's good enough for top race teams.." Razz

Laughing

I was wondering where that had come from. Very true.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:01 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, I doubt the power gains from a race can of whatever make brand or whatever will actually ever make any difference to power and performance on the roads. It does however make a nice noise Smile

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 01:21 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
TBH, I doubt the power gains from a race can of whatever make brand or whatever will actually ever make any difference to power and performance on the roads. It does however make a nice noise Smile

Bah, well at least Akras aren't sqidgy like your Art one, I prefer my can to be solid. Razz

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

High-level exhausts don't look right unless you have one on each side.
In my opinion a normal level can looks better.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 13:03 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with dodd, high level cans just dont work right unless you have one each side.

All bikes should have twin cans made compulsory because of the superior gains in 'look factor' Laughing

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 15:01 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
because of the superior gains in 'look factor'

TART.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 15:04 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
TART.

Dont you know it Razz

/me whacks alex with 'The Tart Stick'

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 15:38 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah so we can pay even more for our cans cuz we need 2!!! Maybe not.
We could just follow the trend for underseat systems

Couger
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:39 - 31 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon underseat systems on bikes which werent originally designed for them look odd and a bit gay, a lot of hassle and cost for something which isnt really rare anymore.

Cougs.

Gti
Bendy Groupie

PostPosted: 12:10 - 01 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underseat systems in my honest opinion look completely pants!
High level ones look alright but force you to take the passenger footpegs off on smaller bikes like the RS250, is it the same with big bikes?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2