Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

De-Restricting a first time bike, with no experience..doabl?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 01 Nov 2003    Post subject: De-Restricting a first time bike, with no experience..doabl? Reply with quote

hey, stil thinkin of getin the NSR but i was wonderin if its recomended to try de-restricting it myself... im joining the army early next year(which is how im paying for it) im going in as a Vechical mechanic so by then i should have a descent idea of the general layout of things but i was thinkin if anyone else has tried de-restriction themselves for the first time and just how difficult it is. i have the step-by-step frm the NSR125.com. if u dont think i should try it myself is there anyone i can turn to to do it for me?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:59 - 01 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you're going to have problems if you can't spell your job title Wink Razz

As long as you have the guide, some common sense and the right tools you'll be ok. Have a trawl through the stuff which comes up on search for this, as you should find some relevant stuff Smile

Allow an afternoon IME, and its not hard, just a bit time consuming to do the exhaust

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:02 - 01 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, i never have been good at spellig words i dont use often! but hopefully i wont nack up on th bike. il giv it a try an then if evrything goes end up, panic!

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 17:45 - 01 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furious D wrote:
cheers, i never have been good at spellig words i dont use often! but hopefully i wont nack up on th bike. il giv it a try an then if evrything goes end up, panic!
Try clicking on the spell check button or the karma system will ban you very quickly.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i was wondering what that was for! Confused

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:09 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use capital I when referring to oneself, the Karma system will love you for it Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Racer X
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:15 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may sound odd but you say you're joining the army as a mechanic but yet you sound insecure to do a mechanical task of 1 - 2 hours on a motorcycle. Excuse for being so non-chalant but it's so funny to concieve the thought of it all!!! Laughing

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 08:30 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

They prefer you not to know anything so they can teach you their way.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:19 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

:LOL:
these guys have ripped of Korn + Zims NSR125.com's images to derestrict an NSR

https://members.lycos.co.uk/roylee20/twodescphotos0.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind opening up an army bike or tank or whatever its just when i have to pay for it if i f*@k it up then i concerns me a little more. I was thinking of just buying a Arrow full race system for it instead of de-restricting the exhaust that way when i go to sell it i can stick the old one back on and sell the both of them separately. Any suggestions to that? Question

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:21 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

*PJ braces himself for the inevitable onslaught of "do test bigger bike" responses that he has received himself in the past*

If you have the cash mate, do it, as long as you can do the extras that go with it. namely re-jetting to compensate.

PJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, but what is "re-jetting"? I'm new to all of this!

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:03 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusting/replacing the jets, correcting the fuel air mix so your engine wont run lean/rich.

Apparently.

I was thinking about doing it a few times, TBH I cant be arsed with fiddling or getting someone else to do it so im gonna leave it as is untill next year, do my test and just get the dealer to derestrict it.

PJ

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:36 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you value your time at £35ph + or whatever mechanics charge, then fair enough.

If not it's really not that complicated to do... very, very worst case is that you mess up the exhaust.. if you're incredibly unlucky and stupid you could drill a whole in it.
Probably be an easy repair anyway, if it wasn't 2nd hand ones can be got for £60-70.

Best bet is to have a go on a derestricted NSR and see if you think it's worth it.

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:41 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id have no problem ridding the exhaust of the restrictor. Id be fine attempting that.

For £35 you could probably buy a dremmel with all those new grinding wheels, (has anyone tried one of them to de-restrict a bike yet?) id say that was probably well easy but i not sure on the finer points like the re-jetting.

That, i would have thought can cause a few pains in the arse.

PJ

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:43 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware that anyone who has derestricted their bikes has rejetted them.

All have run fine afterwards AFAIK. I don't know what the dyno results from danny's bike said about the fueling, but I don't recall anyting being mentioned about it being too far out.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:44 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but i not sure on the finer points like the re-jetting.

No need to re-jet to derestrict an NSR.

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:46 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whats the difference when derestricting an NSR, exhaust and intake, and derestricting the intake and replacing the can?

PJ

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:51 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jetting which comes as standard with the NSR is presumably designed for a derestricted exhaust (as this is in theory 'standard' for the bike, with the restrictors as an after thought).

An aftermarket exhaust may be designed to use different jetting for better performance. Many bolt on cans (generally for bigger bikes) claim to not require rejetting and be designed to work with the stock settings.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:52 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change the exhaust, the jetting might well need changing. And you will no longer have a 100% road legal bike, and it would need to be declared to your insurance as a modifaction.

If you just derestrict the current on, it doesnt need to jetting changing, and you would never really have any problems with insurance., but could/ should tell them it is full power (but only do tell them if you have passed your test!)

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 20:53 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
.... could/ should tell them it is full power...

Why? You don't tell them that its restricted in the first place, and really the restriction is the modification.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 20:54 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if they don't ask......

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:55 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I were to get a replacement (unrestricted) exhaust system and fitted that myself, it shouldnt need re-jetting?

This is the idea I have had for a while, but from things people were saying, I thought I needed to have it jetted too.

The replacement unrestricted can was to get a little extra from the bike without having that much else changed so if the need arose, I could just swap back.

PJ

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:56 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are sold as standard in the UK restricted, so they assume it is restricted, i.e. a standard UK bike.

Insurance companies always ask "Is it de-restricted?", whether you get your quote online or whatever.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:14 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got asked about restrictions when insuring my nsr both on a learner and full licence.
Both times I rung a significant amount of companies.. ie 30+.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2