BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FireBlade

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: FireBlade Reply with quote

All of you people with a FireBlade, what age did you get one at? What is the minimum age you can get insured or ride one at? I was just wondering this because everyone on the forum seems to know each other but your bike sizes and ages differ. One of those fantasy moments where you begin to wonder when you will be tearing up the open road on one of the "beastie" bigger bikes! Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:54 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get them at 17 having done your test, with a 33bhp kit fitted (or not Wink , or it could fall out) and then legally remove the restrictors after your two year restriction period is up.

Phoenix got one at 18

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:42 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Triumph Daytona on my 23rd Birthday. I did have 4 years no claims though and the Daytona is insurance group 15.
However I did spend a year and a half on a VFR400 and then another year and a half on an SV650S...

I wouldn't reccommend getting a powerful bike unless you're experienced, confident and sensible with bikes.
Not aiming this at anyone except the people that I refer to here but...
For example I witnessed several acts of lunacy today committed by one guy on an NSR125, One on a Mito and one on a scooter. They were riding the wrong side of traffic islands and other possible dangerous driving charges, wearing only trackie bottoms, helmet and 'hoodie' and trainers.
All of these scary moments were happening whilst they were trying to overtake me (on a more powerful bike, taking gaps that won't be there when they arrive).

If you even have the slightest inkling that you might try to act like a lunatic on a blade then I suggest you try something less poweful first. Smile

However if you feel confident you won't accidentally wheelie over backwards / wrap the bike round a solid object / hit a car / truck / etc. and you can afford the insurance, go for it. Very Happy Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you think that you might try to act like a lunatic on a blade then I suggest you try soething less poweful first.

Thanks, i don't really know myself with bikes yet and might of gone out and got one just for the sake of it! (When you see something you want...) i like the look of them but i would probably do something stupid even if by mistake. I don't like scooters, my mate has one and thinks he is good because it is de-restricted and will go 45mph instead of the usual 33mph. Hah! i laugh at him!

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 00:08 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
They were riding the wrong side of traffic islands
Are you sure that is illegal? I do it when there is no traffic coming the other way and there is no police about, but I don't know if it's illegal or not. Confused

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:13 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its illegal I think danny. However if there's nothing coming the other way I also tend to go round em when overtaking a queue.

And Furious D, you might as well go and get a fireblade as you'll get one at some point so why waste time waiting Wink Razz

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:21 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
MarJay wrote:
They were riding the wrong side of traffic islands
Are you sure that is illegal? I do it when there is no traffic coming the other way and there is no police about, but I don't know if it's illegal or not. Confused

Depends on the signs on the islands. Most have a keep left sign which you must obey.

All the best

Keith

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 01:53 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get a FireBlade as a first proper bike, it was my 4th bike. Insurance isn't that bad on the early ones (RRN-RRV) assuming you've got a clean licence and don't live in a high crime area or a city (vastly increases third party risk).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 08:28 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m 25 and i had a blade the same as phoenix`s but its kind of squashed now and my insurance is £232 tptf.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:29 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one at 21 with 3yrs NCB and it still costs me £1070 TPFT. I deffo wouldn't get it as a 1st bike as it's powerful and heavy and none-too forgiving.
I ride the wrong side of traffic Islands Very Happy Usually while overtaking though.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:36 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. On the road I'm thinking of there are large paved islands in the road to stop people turning right. They're not the crossing type islands, they're like hardstanding type things. They all have keep left signs on them, and these guys were overtaking when there were buses coming the other way. It was all so as they could say to their mates "I overtook a big bike last night!"

Believe me, I'm not the most cautious rider in the world, but these guys had a death wish! Shocked

They also cut in in front of 4x4's and one of them almost side swiped me trying to avoid an oncoming car.

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reasons like those, it makes me think that the CBT should have a no "retards" barrier so that you can't take it if they think your going to f*uck round on your bike like a pr!ck. I love to hear and see i big bike come flying past on an open road but they little sh!ts on scooters do it it make's you want to swerve and take them out!

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 13:08 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
little sh!ts on scooters do it it make's you want to swerve and take them out!

Right then seeing as you are generalizing here what about those people who have scooters to commute on do not ride like a idiot and basically cause no harm to other users does this also count you do not mention all the other idiot road users you are just generalizing on scooters what about the nova boys who tried to push me off the road one night into a ditch or is that ok because I am just another scooter rider?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:18 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hondababe wrote:
Quote:
little sh!ts on scooters do it it make's you want to swerve and take them out!

Right then seeing as you are generalizing here what about those people who have scooters to commute on do not ride like a idiot and basically cause no harm to other users does this also count you do not mention all the other idiot road users you are just generalizing on scooters what about the nova boys who tried to push me off the road one night into a ditch or is that ok because I am just another scooter rider?

We ought to look after all riders of powered two wheelers - even if we don't like their particular group. Especially the ones that make an effort to stay safe.

After all, we're all vunerable road users. Thats why I'm careful around horse riders and cyclists as well. Smile

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fair to generalise with scooters, especially as we have more experience on the road. They're generally 16yo nova-wannabe's waiting to get that 1.1 Powah under them. They ride like tossers and bring the name of all Scooter bois' and gals down a few notches.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 13:26 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, 16 is a stupid age to be let out on the road on a scooter after a couple of hours basic training (a lot I have come into contact with don't even bother with this)

They always try and overtake me, i hear the unmistakable gnat sounding engine at full revs behind me, trying to overtake me to look cool. I don't have the most powerful bike in the world, but if I wanted I could beat them quite easily, I just let them pass because I'd prefer them in front of me so I can see what they're doing than behind me about to go into the back of me.

Also, none of them seem to know what waterproofs are, I'm always seeing them riding along with soaking wet feet, soaking tracksuit bottoms and a dripping wet hoodie with no gloves on.

Oh, and I get sick and tired of "my ped does 75mph"!

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm not scratching at everyone who like's to mess around on a road but there is a time and a place when acting 'the fool' is safer than others. Like when there's no-one else around. curcumstances are everything. Personally i don't terribly like scooter riders but i definitely don't agree on physical violence on them, until they do something which would warrant such actions. D

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the same I am in the process of doing my bike test I ride safely and wear lots of protective clothing on the scooter as well so don't generalize people that is what annoys me when people group one set of people we are not all the same.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 13:36 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few moped riders like yourself, and I respect them!

Just the Nike wearing nova wannabe's you can spot a mile off that I'm not a great fan of!

Having said that, if I saw one go down, I'd stop to help, they are bikers after all!

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:37 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but you are generalising by saying everyone generalises about scooters Razz

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:40 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
I know a few moped riders like yourself, and I respect them!

Just the Nike wearing nova wannabe's you can spot a mile off that I'm not a great fan of!

Having said that, if I saw one go down, I'd stop to help, they are bikers after all!

He said it all for me. Smile

I'd probably mention to them that they are riding like twats if I see them for long enough. I only usually see them in my mirrors or ahead when they manage to carry off lunatic overtakes.

They definitely seem to think that gloves and waterproofs are for wimps. I'd like to see them say that after they stick their hand out to the floor to break their fall at 30mph. Smile

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 14:06 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never ride without textile jacket and trousers (both armoured) and my armoured gloves and good quality lid!

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I've ridden the wrong side of traffic islands before. Sometimes when I'm sober as well Wink I bet we were all young once MarJay, and as such did stoopid things Razz (Also witnessed on a certain BCF rideout)

Very Happy

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 16:31 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my point just scooter riders are more commenly known for this and in most cases I ave to agree with you! Smile

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
Kris wrote:
Laughing I've ridden the wrong side of traffic islands before. Sometimes when I'm sober as well Wink I bet we were all young once MarJay, and as such did stoopid things Razz (Also witnessed on a certain BCF rideout)

Very Happy

I hope your not reffering to the pug inciddent?

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2