Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:01 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Car (1977)

Purportedly the best movie released in 1977 (!) A horror movie about a murderous car which is posessed by a daemon or the Devil or something. I was expecting it to be terrible, especially as I heard that it earned a number of razzies and it was sold as 'the best movie of 1977' and considering the subject matter.

My expectations were subverted...

Ok so the premise is silly, but if you look at it as a kind of Jaws remake with a car instead of a shark it's not that bad. The dialogue is pretty poor in places, but the actors manage to sell it. Josh Brolin's Dad plays the small town deputy who has to go after the posessed vehicle, and Kathleen Lloyd (Carol Baldwin from Magnum PI) plays his schoolteacher girlfriend. They are both immensely likeable in this, and sell the weird stilted dialogue. Ronny Cox (Dick Jones from Robocop) Is also in it, and does a bang up job of the recovering alchoholic deputy and best friend to the protagonist.

By the end there were a few moments that had the heart pumping a bit, a few good kills and lots and lots of V8 engine noises. It even includes a few motorcycles (a Police Moto Guzzi or two and a Suzuki scrambler) as 'hero' vehicles. The main characters all act sensibly, which is not like your usual horror movie and they are all very likeable.

Ok, so it's not Shakespeare, or that other movie of 1977 about conflict in space, but I kind of fell for it's charm. It's like a plain and slightly dull girl in a bar with a nice smile. You feel a bit sorry for it and want to take it home anyway, but don't want to admit to liking it.

So I give 'The Car' (1977) 6.5/10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the red and white 50s car called Christine(?) - that can magically heal up even after being attacked with hammers?

It's surprising how something will trigger memories of a film you kind of enjoyed not long after release.
Was watching The Quiet Earth (1985) at the weekend (it's on youtube now) - because I somehow came across an image which features at the very end with bizarre alien clouds (spoiler: something disastrous happens to earth).

Like a lot more Sci fi, elements of this have been copied and developed into later movies.
Basically a guy wakes up one morning and the entire earth is apparently empty of all other people - but not quite all have gone.
Some unexpected twists and turns as they discover how a tiny number have survived for now.

Even though it's in NZ which is practically deserted anyway (sorry Hellcat) there's some good scenes racing through real empty streets etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue One: 7/10

Not Star Warsy enough for a film in the Star Wars galaxy.

Needed more Jedi.

Imperial commanders weren't imperial enough.

Not enough use of Donnie Yen's skills.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:57 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Is that the red and white 50s car called Christine(?) - that can magically heal up even after being attacked with hammers?

Apparently Stephen King ripped off 'The Car' for Christine and Maximum Overdrive, so 'The Car' came first.

The Car, in turn, ripped off Stephen Spielberg's 'Duel' from 1971, which he also ripped off to make 'Duel' with a shark, called 'Jaws'. Interesting huh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:08 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Stormtrooper armour doesn't work against blasters, lightsabres, arrows, rocks, and now not even sticks? "You have tapped me gently on the ankle, now I shall fall unconscious on this soft sand."

Truly the Rainpal of personal protective equipment.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Stormtrooper armour doesn't work against blasters, lightsabres, arrows, rocks, and now not even sticks? "You have tapped me gently on the ankle, now I shall fall unconscious on this soft sand."

Truly the Rainpal of personal protective equipment.

It's purely for aesthetic reasons.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:15 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I have posted in here, so....

The Belko Experiment.

I saw a trailer for this that really piqued my interest, so when I saw that it had been released, I took the Mrs on the premise of date night. It is a really funny and dark film, with shades of The Cabin In The Woods and The Running Man. John C McGinley was brilliantly unhinged. 9/10

Ghost In The Shell

I've never seen the original Manga, but the premise sounded good. Scarlett Johansson is doing the same thing over and over again at the minute, but she looks good doing it. The film stylistically looks exceptional, and it was entertaining. 7/10

Going In Style

Old blokes decide to rob a bank after their pension goes tits-up. Imagine Cocoon crossed with Heat and you are there. Or Tower Heist with OAPs. I'm just gonna say it - I don't like Michael Caine. Alan Arkin is funny (another one who seems to do the same schtick...) and Morgan Freeman is Morgan Freeman. The film was ok, nothing spectacular but OK enough for a Sunday afternoon. 6/10

Get Out

White girl takes black boy home to meet the folks. People are weird. I can't say too much more because it can give a bit away, but it is a good film. I was worried that it might get a bit preachy, but it was handled well. 8/10

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2

I preferred the first, but this was still a solid 9. Lots of action, great CGI, even emotional scenes and belly laughs. Kurt Russell is a boss. Watch it. 9/10

Life

Trailer looked great, Ryan Reynolds is going through a bit of a rennaisance at the minute and I'm trying to ease my Mrs into a bit of Sci Fi ready for Alien Covenent. Frustrating though. It looked beautiful, and the actors are great, but the script was lacking. Some of the decisions made by the "brilliant scientist / astronoughts" made me laugh. Not enough Reynolds - 6.5/10

Boy

American nanny starts a job looking after a well to do families "boy", which is actually a pot doll. She doesn't take the rules seriously and weird stuff happens. Creepy film, but not scary, and you can see the end from a mile away. The mrs liked it though. 6.5/10
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Roger! How could you?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poundshop Dave wrote:
Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 5/10

Without giving the game away, there was no plot. Nada, nothing. Music wasn't as good and although visually superb it brought nothing new to the table. Kind of disappointed that I paid nearly £10 to watch the film as well, normally I'd do West Brom £5 Odeon but on a lads night out jolly; ended up parting with £9.80 for the ticket and £3 for a bottle of water.

If they do a Guardians 3; I doubt if I'll watch it at the flicks.

Still cheaper than the prices down here. I'm amazed how much the cinema costs, they should really give you a DVD copy of the film on the way out. Also re the food thing, I hate how cineworld only sell tickets at the food kiosk, so you have to queue for ages whilst everyone buys their overpriced grub. And the sound's always too loud, and people chew loudly/talk during the movie. This is the grinds my gears thread right? Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:37 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
lightsabres

Roger! How could you?

How could I not? It's perfectly cromulent l10n from Galactic Republic Colonial-jabber.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Retreat No Surrender. Cheesey 80s martial arts film.

Riff Trax - No Retreat No Surrender. Very funny. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
No Retreat No Surrender. Cheesey 80s martial arts film.

Riff Trax - No Retreat No Surrender. Very funny. Thumbs Up

Didn't that have a very early appearance of a young JCVD?

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex Machina (2014) - 8.5 / 10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470752/

Watched this for the first time last night and it made for compelling viewing. Quite suspenseful in places and downright creepy in others. I found the visuals of the robots horrifically fascinating, and the end of the story was great. I love films that genuinely surprise.

Definitely worth a watch. Thumbs Up

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:52 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold 6-10 Thought it was well made, although as mentioned earlier, quite similar to wolf of wall street.

The only thing that pissed me off with it is i couldn't understand half of what they were saying Embarassed

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade Runner 2049

Pre-trailer trailer - Blade Runner 2 Very Happy

Official trailer - Blade Runner, The Action Movie? Neutral

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Get Out last night, looked promising and ended up a bit boring imo.... 5/10

I also watched Gold this evening, definitely had a Wolf of Wall Street feel to it, not the worst movie ever, but not the best 6/10

Guardians of The Galaxy, it was a poor copy, but still better than the days of VHS.... I thought it was a decent enough sequel, very funny in parts 8/10

Fast & Furious 8, after the reviews on here I expected a steaming pile of shit..... as with this type of action movie I just switched off my brain and watched.... OK it was very unrealistic, but a lot of action movies are the same.... overall it was quite enjoyable and funny at times 8/10

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A downvote!

For reviewing the trailers of an upcoming film in a film review thread? Didn't think it was worth a whole new topic.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Space Between Us - 6/10

An alright film, full of flaws of all sorts. The first 1/3 was very promissing, people colonizing the Mars (the trip to Mars was about 3 months). Roger is going to love the plot twist, a strong independent woman astronaut gets pregnant even though they have told her not to and her pregnancy starts to show mid flight to the Mars (not a spoiler).
Anyway, I've never seen the trailer and though this kind of cast would be a guarantee of quality, but it turned out to be very mediocre. It was alright, I guess. Reminded me of the film Blast from the Past (1999, Brendan Fraser), not as good though. The last 1/3 was a plain romantic film. The whole film felt like 3 separate movies. Sci-fi / Drama / Romance.

6/10, because it was nice to see Gary Oldman in a film again.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
A downvote!

For reviewing the trailers of an upcoming film in a film review thread? Didn't think it was worth a whole new topic.

I think you needed to review the trailer Smile

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a review of xXx: Return of Xander Cage
switching off the brain only gets you so far with action movies...... this was a single digit IQ movie at best..... it was shit, I cringed at the CGI a lot..... even drunk I shuddered at how bad it was made.

Percy, I kind of agree with the downvote.... I think your Bladerunner should have been given it's own thread.... the same as I REALLY want to make a new thread about the new Dark Tower movie.... and how shit I expect it to be.... being a big fan of the Dark Tower series of books they've fucked it up to the point I'm not sure I want to watch it

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:13 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (3D) - 07/10

I liked the first one better, this could of been at least 20 - 30 mins shorter. I was starting to wonder if I'd last to the end.
On the plus side, my ticket was really cheap and was one of five in the cinema.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:14 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal Shopper

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4714782/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Mrs's pick for film night (it was either this or a cure for wellness). Kristen Stewart has one facial expression, and uses it to its full extent. Essentially, she is a personal shopper for some supermodel type who can't go out in public because she will be recognised. Based in Paris, she will not leave until her dead twin brother sends her a sign.

Not good - 3/10.
I added an extra point for boobs. Then took it off because Kristen Stewarts boobs. Too slow, nothing happens, stupid decisions made, *very* ambiguous ending and 1 hrs 45 mins.

Keanu

The trailer made me laugh, so whilst I was laid up ill, I watched it. Following a break-up, a dude finds a kitten and is brought back from depression. Whilst he and his cousin go to the cinema to watch a film, the cat is stolen when his house his broken in to. They then go against gangs to get the cat back. I thought it was very funny, and I'd recommend renting it. 7.5/10

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
A downvote!

I think you needed to review the trailer Smile

I did. Both of them.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Rogue 1 / Force Awakens: 2/10

Don't get the whole Star Wars thing. Not my cup of tea. Feels very scripted and unbelievable. They seem to just chuck in explosions and loud orchestral music to make up for it's boring storylines.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 119 of 194