Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade - 7/10

A better-than-average version of all the similarly themed shit that comes out on Netflix nowadays.

Also brimming with that super cool style that kicked around for a few years from the late 90s to early 2000s. Leathers, long black coats, non-stop wearing of sunglasses, sports bikes and funky electronic music. Most commonly associated with The Matrix, but Blade got there first.

Blade 2 - 6/10

Brimming with even more of that super cool style, but ruined by a not-as-exciting plot and tacky overuse of CGI effects.

Wanted to get the hat trick and watch Blade Trinity but couldn't cope with any more in such a short space of time. Will watch soon.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8a0d8ccc-9bff-413b-a2a7-8199cd068ef7

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halloween (2018) 2/10 - as shit as I was expecting.

Once Upon a Deadpool 5/10 whilst some of the cutaways with Fred Savage (?) are funny it's an edited version of the film... I'd just watch Deadpool 2 personally.

A Star is Born 3.5/10 - as much of a chick flick as I was expecting, too long to endure at over 2 hours, however some of the music was actually alright with Bradley Cooper being a surprisingly ok singer.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shining - 7.5/10

No idea how I managed to get this far in life without ever seeing this film.

I guess it was amazing for its time, but nothing about the film was scary at all to me.

The main redeeming aspect was that I found myself drawn into the whole thing without ever feeling bored or annoyed in any way. Kubrick films are great like that.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:44 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Earth: 6/10

Long analysis but meh.

Almost definitely won't hit the big screens in the west, because it was Made In China so is in the wrong language for dumb folk who don't like subtitles.

China's first big budget sci-fi film.

Story goes like this:

- Sun starts to rapidly expand
- Humans come together to form the United Earth Agency (almost entirely fronted by Chinese people)
- 10,000 land-based fusion reactor rocket booster things are created on earth, turning it into a giant maneuverable space rock.
- Plan is to fly earth to Andromeda and live there instead
- Someone got the calculations wrong, Earth is going to hit Jupiter
- Chinese people save the day

Overall it's a worthy action film. Good effects etc. Absolutely on par with Holywood.

The problem is in how utterly badly it breaks away from the realm of physical possibility. There's just too much to mention. The scenes are all fine and realistic, but the logic they attempt to apply to the storyis all bollocks. Sun rapidly expanding? 10,000 fusion space engines? Accidentally falling into the largest planet in the solar system?!

As well as this, the social/political undertones are great.

On the United Earth space station, the lead character is Chinese and his best mate onboard is Russian. The funny thing is, the decision to make him Russian was done in post-production. The guy's mouth moves and then a Russian voice happens. They must have used a different nationality at first.

Also on the space station there's an AI which goes rogue (stolen firectly from 2001: A Space Odyssey...). When the AI is functioning normally, it talks in Chinese. When it goes rogue, it talks American.

Highest grossing film in Chinese history, anyway. $3 billion so far.

Needless to say, it has sent Chinese nationalism through the roof. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7605074/ - High ratings on here are thanks to it being completely swamped by happy Chinese viewers.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Death Day 2 U

Really enjoyed the first, and the 2nd looked interesting. Very good. Less horror based, more sci-fi but with the entertaining deaths. Well worth a watch and a solid 8/10

Instant Family

The wifes choice. Overly saccarined story about a couple who fall into adopting three kids. The film wasn't great (the mrs and kid liked it), and to boot I had a bunch of tween girls sat behind us talking and crying through the whole thing. I went for a 20 minute crap half way through the film, came back and didn't need any catching up. 3/10

John Wick

It was on last night as we were flicking through the channels, and I decided that my boy should watch it. Still a solid film, does what it needs to do, and does it with style. 9/10

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy Erased - 7/10

Good film, good acting.
Just a bit of Christian bashing with the anti-gay thing.
Went on Wikipedia afterwards to look at the list of countries where homosexuality is punished by prison/death.

Imagine my shock...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velvet Buzzsaw 6/10

Poncy LA haute-art gallery owner and her posey pals suffer variously gory and not really all that unexpected departures for being greedy and grasping, in a horror/thriller that's just about watchable, if you like all that super rich bastards lifestyle sort of thing.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:58 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Wandering Earth: 6/10

You tempted me, so i just downloaded, will watch tonight Thumbs Up

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightshooters.

You have to watch this. I won't spoil it. Brilliant brilliant indie film. 10/10

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 22 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass

8/10 I liked it a lot.

It's pretty much the James McAvoy show though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:26 - 22 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Glass

8/10 I liked it a lot.

It's pretty much the James McAvoy show though

Yup, solid 8/10 from me. I didn't think it was as good as Split though. Got Unbreakable to watch this weekend.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Jayy wrote:
Greenbook - 7.5/10

What a great film. I do like culture shock type documentaries and I quite like it in films too but this was more of a role reversal where the white guy was the employee / driver of the black prominent musician in the 1960s.

Class act all the way through and an enjoyable true story.

Trailer here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZxoko_HC0

How raciss raciss raciss does it get? That seems to be the only thing Hollywood's putting out atm.

To answer my own question... very. I managed an hour, which's a shame as it seemed quite well done, and I was liking Viggo Mortensen's character.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:48 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split - 7.5/10

Enough to keep me entertained, James McAvoy had a decent range of roles in it despite being a single person.

Enjoyable but I like action films more.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 24 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched over the telly last night in the middle of one of the innumerable Star Wars thingies, I could tell it was quite recent cos Han Solo was looking fairly grizzled. Nonetheless, Harrison Ford ... so I commenced to watch it.

But I'd not been watching it half an hour when some apparently Darth Vader wannabe stuck my hero with a whomping great handful of laser beam and he fell off a bridge, into what was quite clearly a very deep chasm, with a look on his face that could only depict mortal injury.

So -100/10 to that edition.
Crying or Very sad

*sulking now*

Last edited by hellkat on 19:35 - 24 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 24 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Chewy never ages, the wanker.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:20 - 25 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I switched over the telly last night in the middle of one of the innumerable Star Wars thingies, I could tell it was quite recent cos Han Solo was looking fairly grizzled. Nonetheless, Harrison Ford ... so I commenced to watch it.

But I'd not been watching it half an hour when some apparently Darth Vader wannabe stuck my hero with a whomping great handful of laser beam and he fell off a bridge, into what was quite clearly a very deep chasm, with a look on his face that could only depict mortal injury.

So -100/10 to that edition.
Crying or Very sad

*sulking now*

Spoiler Alert!!?!?!

It's OK, I've seen it... The Force Awakens.... lucky BCF is quite easy going though! Wink

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Book, 9.5/10. Superb. Smile

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom Hemingway

Jude Law plays a great nutter in this vulgar BBC film. I really enjoyed it, worth a watch, the first scene sets the tone.

8/10

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Green Book, 9.5/10. Superb. Smile

Not enough BAME #diversity Tut Tut

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-34. 9/10

WWII tank escapade based on a true story. Brilliant film, only marred by the subtitles which were awful. The version I had seemed as if they had been translated with someone who had little knowledge of Russian/German/English.

Fantastic film though, max payne slo-mo bits and everything.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Exorcist - 7/10

I suspect it was extremely scary when it was released, because the effects were quite good for their time and society had a slightly deeper sense of religion than it does today.

Not a scary film nowadays, but was still a good watch.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overlord 5/10

WWII film about the D-day invasion but christ it gets weird.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Overlord 5/10

WWII film about the D-day invasion but christ it gets weird.

I enjoyed it. The grenade/bike scene was epic viewing and makes me laugh everytime.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:28 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Man - 6.5/10

Considering this is/was supposed to be one of our greatest ever achievements (allegedly), it sure was a bit of slow burner with some dull characters.

Some of the rocket / space shots were infuriatingly close up and shaky as fuck. Armstrong's wife (Claire Foy) was reprising her role as Queen Elizabeth ll... at least she seemed to be funneling her anyway the miserable bastard.

Did find it odd that an American made film didn't show the American flag being planted on the moon either... but whatever.

A good film overall, boring in bits and great in other bits.... I wouldn't watch it again though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 166 of 194