Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 12 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pawno (2015) 7/10

Like many low budget Australian films, rather good.
Compelling characters.

Did a wiki search, and sad to learn lead actor died.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 12 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wandering Earth

5/10

Gave it a go because it had good reviews. Being a Chinese film, very much China China China but it was the science I found confounding.
The premise is that the sun is going to swallow the earth up in 100%, so they GTFO and take the planet with them, ermmm righto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 16 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green book 8/10
Genious black pianist(Don Shirley:Doc) goes deep south for his concert tour in 60s. He hires Italian american driver(+body guard):Tony for US$100+/week for a few month until Christmas. Green book is a hotel guide book for black person at that time. Doc experiences various typical discriminations. Tony(rude and hates black people) gradually becomes different...
It was a good film. I didn't know anything about this film and later knew it was Academy Award-winning one. There was not surprising plot, and it was not expected for me, but I liked it at the end. I couldn't find any other films and chose this at theatre, and I'm pleased.
Auntie sitting near me should've known English better. She chuckled time to time when I didn't get it.
There was some parts I didn't like, but I can't tell if it's a real story about him. Tony's wife was beautiful and cute(Linda Cardellini as Dolores Vallelonga).

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:04 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Deer hunter - 7/10

Another so-called great film which hasn't stood the test of time.

It was probably great when it was released, but now it seems dated, slow and uneventful. I understand that the film is not an action film, and that it carries lots of underlying messages about humanity, war etc, but there are better and newer versions of the same theme, so Deer Hunter just seemed a bit old to me.

It reminds me of Seven Samurai, which is said to be one of the greatest films ever made. The film is extremely old, black and white and if I remember correctly it has no dialogue at all, just music and acting. This film also is so old that it's simply not enjoyable when measured up to modern films of the same theme. Deer Hunter is similar in this regard. Its high ratings were probably once deserved, but not any more.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 07:50 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
The Deer hunter - 7/10

It was probably great when it was released, but now it seems dated, slow and uneventful. I understand that the film is not an action film, and that it carries lots of underlying messages about humanity, war etc, but there are better and newer versions of the same theme, so Deer Hunter just seemed a bit old to me.

It reminds me of Seven Samurai, which is said to be one of the greatest films ever made. The film is extremely old, black and white and if I remember correctly it has no dialogue at all, just music and acting. This film also is so old that it's simply not enjoyable when measured up to modern films of the same theme. Deer Hunter is similar in this regard. Its high ratings were probably once deserved, but not any more.

It's one of the first actual 'oscar bait' movies. It wasn't very good when it came out, and still isn't all that now. But it's depressing and says a lot about humanity and war etc, and was released just in time for oscar season. I think it's quite cynical actually.

Seven Samurai on the other hand does hold up IMO.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
The Deer hunter - 7/10

Why have you rated it so highly then? 7/10 on imdb would be a good film

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

Why have you rated it so highly then? 7/10 on imdb would be a good film

Dunno, I guess I was weighing my score against the 94% that Rotten Tomatoes gave it.

6 seemed too low.

I mean, the film wasn't rubbish by any stretch. It just wasn't special to me.

7 is my 'meh' category, for films that weren't exactly fantastic but I'd still consider watching again someday.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wick 3 8/10

Much of the same, shoot shoot dead dead; rinse and repeat. The welcome inclusion of dogs attacking later on the film was enjoyable' probably the best bit.

It's starting to get unbelievable now. John Wick 4 is on the horizon.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengement 9/10

East end cockney villain gangster flick. Starring Craig Fairbrass, Nick Moran and everyone's favourite B rated movie action hero Scott Adkins.

Revenge, Prison, violence, hostage taking all in a 90 minute action packed flick. Few other cases of "Oh I know him from somewhere, from that show oh whatshisname?" it's a 90 minute action packed flick.

Available to stream or from the usual places if you want to steal it.

Trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUQzHB8hs_s
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 24 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I really want to see this at some stage. Looks right up my street.

Beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2xteiJt94

Anyone seen it yet?

Nope but now on the list ta

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:03 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
I really want to see this at some stage. Looks right up my street.

Beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2xteiJt94

Anyone seen it yet?

Nope but now on the list ta

Bit Trainspotting but looks worthwhile, maybe?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 25 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAIT 8/10

An Australian shark flick. Big storm sends the ocean crashing into a seaside town, a supermarket gets flooded, all the staff that have not drowned are stood on the top of shelving hoping the water won't rise any higher as there is a shark swimming between the isles.

I've made it sound a bit shit, it's actually quite good. Some Aussie actors you'll recognise, some you won't. I enjoyed it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:04 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Pursuit 7/10

A tale of revenge... Liam seems to have been doing a lot of this lately! Shurely not another one?!

The story is pretty much by the numbers but the execution is something special. There's quite a dark undercurrent throughout but it wasn't too overdone.

It's not a hard thinking movie, just munch the popcorn and have a chuckle!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

*aisles
you're welcome.

Sounds quite good, actually.
Is it a Great White, though?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 26 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep a great white shark. BAIT is on NETFLIX.

Spoiler.

There is this yappie dog that this blonde bimbo has and her gormless Aussie boyfriend and bimbo are stuck on a car roof with the shark coming, Aussie bloke wangs the dog at the shark to keep it occupied as a snack. I laughed and got a dig in the ribs from the wife.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captive State 2/10.

John fatboy Goodman in another shit film. The trailer looked awesome, sort of like a Colony spin off. In reality it was boring and about 30 minutes too long. You shouldn't have had that quadruple bypass John, you should have died a long time ago and been remembered for the good stuff you did; like Roseanne.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Yep a great white shark. BAIT is on NETFLIX.

Reckon I'll go with that for now Cool Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody wish they wouldn't keep using great whites, though.
Sure they're badass and like to nom on humans more than most.

But other sharks are just as hungry/irritable.

A tiger shark would make a great bad guy in one of these things.
They have a real vicious look to them.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:50 - 01 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stir of echoes (1999) 8/10

Not usually into horror (as this is described on Wikipedia) but I'd describe it more of a Supernatural thriller. This is a very very good movie.

If you like things like the Sixth Sense, you'll love this. Even I who generally does not like this type of movie was moved by this. Not perfect, but very entertaining, and I was drawn in to it's world.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
BAIT 8/10

An Australian shark flick. Big storm sends the ocean crashing into a seaside town, a supermarket gets flooded, all the staff that have not drowned are stood on the top of shelving hoping the water won't rise any higher as there is a shark swimming between the isles.

I've made it sound a bit shit, it's actually quite good. Some Aussie actors you'll recognise, some you won't. I enjoyed it.

You know this has been on repeat on my tv here and I have watched it many times, well, on in the background...lol

It is utter shite, really. Giving it a 2/10 is being generous.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotel Mumbai 8/10

Loosely based on the real attack that took place in 2008, terrorists storm a hotel and slaughter as many infidels as possible. Jason Isaccs playing the only 'known' actor in the film, all the others look the same (not a racist comment).

Enjoyable but I just couldn't bring myself to care what happened to the people in the hotel. They all have that generic "Welcome to tech support, my name Steve" accent, they just seem expendable. Good film though.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brightburn 8.5/10

I really enjoyed this, you all know the story, an American family bereft of a child suddenly find a crashed space object in their back garden containing a baby and they take it in (so like Superman right? WRONG). This little kiddy is a proper little cunt and intent on world domination.

He is very much the anti hero. That's what makes this good. The way he despatches his victims is rather satisfying and you find yourself in a state of awe rooting for the bad guy. Helsinki syndrome to the max.

https://i.imgur.com/T0a0Adc.jpg

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Brightburn 8.5/10

I really enjoyed this, you all know the story, an American family bereft of a child suddenly find a crashed space object in their back garden containing a baby and they take it in (so like Superman right? WRONG). This little kiddy is a proper little cunt and intent on world domination.

He is very much the anti hero. That's what makes this good. The way he despatches his victims is rather satisfying and you find yourself in a state of awe rooting for the bad guy. Helsinki syndrome to the max.

https://i.imgur.com/T0a0Adc.jpg

Stockholm syndrome?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:

Stockholm syndrome?

All in all Stockholm and Helsinki Syndrome are the same thing definition wise which is the shorter and boring answer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 169 of 194