Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet (2016) - 5/10

I think Dave-G is going to like this one. It's about a lad (Dominic Monaghan), a employee of a dog shelter, who has a crush on this cute blonde (Ksenia Solo), who happens to be his school mate, but she doesn't remember him. So, he decides to stalk her and then capture her, to put her in the cage he made for her, in the dog shelter. What's going to happen next would be spoiling it for you, but I'm going to say this, the film was not a horror, as advertised. More like a thriller.

The film was average, 5/10.
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Strange (2016) - 7.5/10

Was worried this would be a waste of 2 hours, as I didn't see Cumberbatch being able to pull it off, I was wrong, he nailed it.

There was a few disappointing story moments, but no spoilers, I'm sure Marvel fans will work it out.

Amazing special effects, excellent acting and decent storyline, with alll roads leading to the invetible Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet movie.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:56 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail, Ceasar!

The Coens are a little bit all over the shop for me. No Country For Old Men was a great film (8/10 - let down slightly by the end) but The Big Lebowski was overhyped and 6/10. Fargo - great, The LadyKillers - Poor.

This film was ok in parts, but again, let go with not enough character or story development and it felt more like a film where they could cram as many cameos in as possible. 6/10

The Founder

I love me some Nick Offerman, and Michael Keaton seems to be on a bit of a renaissance, so I was looking forwards to this. If you have ever read Fast Food Nation, you will know the background, but essentially this is how McDonalds started. Great story, brilliant acting. Not sure how it didn't get any Oscar nods. 8/10

Stripes

I recorded this on Film4 a few weeks ago and forgot that I had it. Bill Murray is a hero. This film is a bit schizo, however. The first half is brilliant - losers join the Army, stumble through basic training and there is obligatory hard-arse drill sargeant. Awesome. The second half, where they go through Czechoslovakia in an RV is less so.
7/10

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kong: Skull Island

Meh. 5/10. It killed some time. Stupid in places, a few unnecessary jokes, good action type stuff. Is it bad that I liked the soundtrack to it more than I liked the film? Although with all of the helicopters flying towards sunset, Vietnam and napalm it gave off a very Apocalypse Now vibe that didn't really work.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chappie 5.5/10 - not as good as District 9 or Elysium but the same sort of theme (Sci-fi set in South Afriiica). It's almost like an adult version of Wall-e Smile, which's kinda the problem as it could be a kids film minus the violence etc. Also some of the characters are very annoying, not Slumdog he's alright.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Chappie 5.5/10 - not as good as District 9 or Elysium but the same sort of theme (Sci-fi set in South Afriiica). It's almost like an adult version of Wall-e Smile, which's kinda the problem as it could be a kids film minus the violence etc. Also some of the characters are very annoying, not Slumdog he's alright.

Yeah I thought it was a bit of a kid's movie.

Also the use of Die Antwoord's Ninjia and Yolandi Visser was really annoying. Used loads of their tunes too. It started to seem like a fairly desperate attempt to showcase South Africa's best cultural output, and by the end it seemed more like "The Ninja and Yolandi Visser amateur acting piece, with a CGI robot."

I say this as a closet Die Antwoord fanboy. Fantastic music performers. Acting, no thanks Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:51 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fokking robuts, eh? Just watching the end credits roll.

Huh, I found that surprisingly enjoyable.

It was indeed scrappy in tone, and they couldn't decide whether it was knockabout or serious. That could have been toned down to Short Circuit or ramped up to the full Robocop - it felt a bit awkward in the middle.

Slumdog, didn't rate: annoying and hammy. Sigourney Weaver has so successfully re-invented herself as a pastiche of... herself... that it's tough for her to play a tough role now. Jackman was just dicking around. I reckon they were both on set for a couple of days, banged their scenes out, cheque please.

But Die Antwoord actually worked for me. Gimmicky, sure, and they won't be picking up any Oscars, but they were credible enough, personable, and they threw their all in.

Chappie was pimp, and that's what the film is about, right?

Last edited by Rogerborg on 23:55 - 15 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see no rating so those are just random words Folded arms

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:59 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like ¥o-Landi's hair, I can't figure out whether it's a mess or a masterpiece.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Like ¥o-Landi's hair, I can't figure out whether it's a mess or a masterpiece.

Her entire self is a mess and a masterpiece all at once.

One of the few women who can get away with purposely dressing up as a precocious school girl in most/all of their song videos without being blasted as an uber slut by the media circus.

Ever seen the video that put them on the map? Skip to 2:10 if you can't be arsed with the whole thing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:36 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide whether I want to bang her, or bang her head in with a brick. Or both. Or in what order.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their music would be quite good, if they were 12 and taking the piss.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Their music would be quite good, if i were deaf.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your opinions are only valid among 12 year olds who like to take the piss.

Very Happy

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:33 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Ninja and Yolandi are complete cocks to work with, though: https://uproxx.com/movies/ninja-from-die-antwoord-was-allegedly-a-huge-pain-in-the-ass-during-chappie/

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Apparently Ninja and Yolandi are complete cocks to work with, though: https://uproxx.com/movies/ninja-from-die-antwoord-was-allegedly-a-huge-pain-in-the-ass-during-chappie/

met mr watkin tudor jones, back when he was "max normal", he was a proper c%nt

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I should have added - I'm a 'fanboy' of the music (or at least the highly individual way it comes across), but can tell they would grate on me hugely as individuals in real life. They're both massive narcissists, for a start. It's obvious they live in their own very important little Die Antwoord world.

Fair play they got rich doing it though.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairest play, they triggered the hell out of the Grauniad. Whistle

Golly!

https://i.imgur.com/YSwZLXi.jpg

Didn't one of their vids list the history of South Africa as:

Arrow Nelson Mandela
Arrow District 9
Arrow Die Antwoord

Seems fair enough.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Yeah I should have added - I'm a 'fanboy' of the music (or at least the highly individual way it comes across), but can tell they would grate on me hugely as individuals in real life. They're both massive narcissists, for a start. It's obvious they live in their own very important little Die Antwoord world.

Fair play they got rich doing it though.

no argument that he's talented, have a look at his earlier stuff, max normal (songs from the mall) and constructus (ziggurat) different but also good.

worth checking out jack parow too, although he raps a lot in afrikaans Thumbs Up

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:32 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brimstone - 8/10

Well, I did not expect this to be so good. I didn't even realise what I had put on, I thought it was some kind of western but it was fucking awesome. I haven't seen Guy Pearce in many things recently but he was absolutely terrifying in this and you could see the menace within the first 5 minutes of the film all the way to the last.

A stark contrast to...

Why Him? - 6/10

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was genuinely funny in parts, worth a watch.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 02:10 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Rogue One has just hit the usual places in 720p Thumbs Up

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:45 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Star Wars Rogue One has just hit the usual places in 720p Thumbs Up

Rogue One 2016 1080p BluRay x264-SPARKS

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Strange 7-10

It was the usual heavy duty special effects time waster. For a storyline this actually had one. Without giving spoilers, its not a story that has not already been done before, it was just folded differently. Some real funny moments in it though and of course the obligatory Stan Lee appearance. If you are a marvel movie franchise fan then you'll get what you expect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall Matt Damon. 4/10. Very good CGI/special effects but otherwise banal and pointless.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 112 of 194