Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

Did your eyes leak?

Proper; I'm a big softie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Kane (1941) - 7/10

So, I ''finally'' saw this film last night. Some say it's the best film ever made. Well, I wouldn't go this far, but it was surprisingly good. Being 1941 release also makes you appreciate some of the camera angles and special effects and trickery. Also, the film was full of modern references and concepts, that I even questioned its release date, at various places.

Anyway, I can only compare this film to Czech 30's and 40's films and this American classic sure showed a lot of inovation, but the story telling was very tiresome. The last 30 minutes of the film I was wondering, why am I even watching this, but then the final scene made it all worth it.

TL; DR, the film is rather overrated, yet I enjoyed watching it. Not worth the second view though.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Citizen Kane (1941) - 7/10

So, I ''finally'' saw this film last night. Some say it's the best film ever made. Well, I wouldn't go this far, but it was surprisingly good. Being 1941 release also makes you appreciate some of the camera angles and special effects and trickery. Also, the film was full of modern references and concepts, that I even questioned its release date, at various places.

Anyway, I can only compare this film to Czech 30's and 40's films and this American classic sure showed a lot of inovation, but the story telling was very tiresome. The last 30 minutes of the film I was wondering, why am I even watching this, but then the final scene made it all worth it.

TL; DR, the film is rather overrated, yet I enjoyed watching it. Not worth the second view though.

I remember trying to watch it years ago, got bored and turned it off before the end.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermath 2/10

It got 2 because there were two facts about the real life events included in the film.

Boring, depressing, slow, predictable, Arnie not being Arnie, an hour and half of your life you won't get back, just don't bother!

Barry Norman, eat yer heart out! Wink

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

Did your eyes leak?

Proper; I'm a big softie.

Thumbs Up

CaNsA wrote:
A Street Cat Named Bob - 8/10

If your eyes don't leak at least once then you are dead inside.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4406605#4406605

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
I remember trying to watch it years ago, got bored and turned it off before the end.

I nearly turned it off after the Newsreel about Mr. Kane. It was completely pointless and it didn't explain nor add anything to the story. Just like some of the interviews in the second half of the film, that were supposed to explain, or atleast try to explain, the Kane's last word.

The ending did give me the ''aha'' moment, but as said, not worth the second run.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:16 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

I really enjoyed the original Ghost In The Shell anime movie, and so I had to go and see this. The box office figures so far have been poor for such a high budget movie, and the reviews have been OK but brought down by the 'whitewashing' scandal.

So, what do I think? Good solid movie. Nothing spectacular. The problem is the same as in so many kids school reports; Potential.

It had the potential to be a masterpiece. The script was there, the effects are there, the cast is mostly there but it was really let down by what I felt to be a phoned in performance by Scar Jo. I'm not a fan of hers anyway, I'm fairly convinced she has no acting ability and just plays herself in every movie. All she did in this was add a funny walk (unless she just walks like that, dunno) and look gruff for a lot of the movie. There were also some clangy plot points which differed from the Anime which stuck out like the sorest of sore thumbs as inappropriate at best, but whitewashing at worst. No spoilers, but you'll probably know it when you see it. The GF wasn't too bothered by it, but it made me a little uncomfortable.

The action was very good, but there was quite a lot of telegraphing of the action and I felt like there was a very harsh switch in tone between the talkie bits and the action bits, like they had tacked in the action afterwards.

The stand out performance was Pilou Asbaek as Batou. Takeshi Kitano was also pretty good although I felt like he thought he was on stage rather than film. His lines were delivered as if a soliloquy, but perhaps the switch between Japanese and English triggered that. Fun fact, he's the Takeshi from Takeshi's castle and Takeshi's Challenge. Good hairstyle in the movie too, and his character is a total badass.

Scar Jo wasn't bad per se, she was just bad compared to the rest of the cast... dull... flat... Could have been done better by a thousand other actresses. There are probably a ton of Japanese actresses who could have done a better job, and I know there are plenty of Hollywood actresses who could have done better. I know the filmmakers were looking for a certain 'look' (classic Manga Anime big eyes big lips etc) and she does have that, she looks like the Major, but I'm sure someone better could have been found.

5/10 a couple of points taken off for failing to meet potential. If it had a different lead it could have reached the heady heights of a 9 I think. As a movie in isolation ignoring my prejudice for Scar Jo and the fact I'd seen the Anime first it could have been a 7/10.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronson
Self-aggrandising nutters banging their own drum - no thanks.

I don't really care about the violence, I'm old enough to have seen plenty of violent films.

I just haven't got the patience to watch people pretending to be nutters and then end up becoming actual nutters. Been there, done that, seen it happen in front of my own eyes, yawn.

Tom Hardy (I am sure) is an increasingly accomplished actor, but I didn't even finish watching it, I couldnt be bothered with all the shouting - it was like watching that mad cunt in Sexy Beast. So even though that's supposed to be a classic performance by Ben Kingsley, all I want to do is drop a large brick on his head from a great height.

Same with Bronson.
2/10

If I managed to watch it the whole way through, I doubt I'd give it more than 5 anyway.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Bronson

I don't really care about the violence, I'm old enough to have seen plenty of violent films.

I just haven't got the patience to watch people pretending to be nutters and then end up becoming actual nutters. Been there, done that, seen it happen in front of my own eyes, yawn.

Tom Hardy (I am sure) is an increasingly accomplished actor, but I didn't even finish watching it, I couldnt be bothered with all the shouting - it was like watching that mad cunt in Sexy Beast. So even though that's supposed to be a classic performance by Ben Kingsley, all I want to do is drop a large brick on his head from a great height.

Same with Bronson.
2/10

If I managed to watch it the whole way through, I doubt I'd give it more than 5 anyway.

I agree with both points, bronson was on late one night on tv, i pretty sure I turned it off and went to bed half way through.

Sexy beast I ended up watching (becau of the supposed iconic performance of kingsly) to the end but felt i wasted a portion of my life that i can never have again

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
hellkat wrote:
Bronson

Same with Bronson.
2/10

I agree with both points, bronson was on late one night on tv, i pretty sure I turned it off and went to bed half way through.

Sexy beast I ended up watching (becau of the supposed iconic performance of kingsly) to the end but felt i wasted a portion of my life that i can never have again

I liked Gangster No1, it had some kind of honesty to it and the protagonist was not some over bearing shouty twat, that has become the default demeanour for British hardmen in films.

I rank it as one of the finer films of the genre.

As a side note, I think Dead Mans Shoes is overrated, a 6/10 at best.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Ghost in the Shell (2017)
5/10 a couple of points taken off for failing to meet potential. If it had a different lead it could have reached the heady heights of a 9 I think. As a movie in isolation ignoring my prejudice for Scar Jo and the fact I'd seen the Anime first it could have been a 7/10.

This pissed me off, I loved the original and couldn't wait for this release.

If these people touch Akira, I will go postal.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:01 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
If these people touch Akira, I will go postal.

Now you've done it.

Awaits: "Of course, you haven't really experienced it until you've read the original manga.

In Klingon."

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
I liked Gangster No1, it had some kind of honesty to it and the protagonist was not some over bearing shouty twat, that has become the default demeanour for British hardmen in films.

See I don't mind the hardman type of films in general, hard men are alright as a genre, god knows I'm used to them in real life, LOL - and as we all know, the Guy Ritchie films brought about advent of the "hardman lite" with the comedy aspect. Yeah, so we'd all like our hard men to be like that - and I know it's not how life always is, you don't get to choose the nutters that invade your life ... but really I just can't stand that particular brand (shouty) of hard nut. So all due respect to both Hardy and Kingsley for portraying them so realistically.

In fact, one of my favourite British films is 44 Inch Chest, where I think the character played by John Hurt really is an excellent portrayal of classic British hard-nut shouty type. I actually liked Old Man Peanut as a person, even though he was an annoying braying old cunt Laughing

TL;DR: I quite like hard men and even nutters in general, just not the shouty non-stop type.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Same with Bronson.
2/10

I think the basic requirement of being a film critic's watching the film all the way through Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mate, I would have smashed the telly.

Mind you, it was quite late, about 1.30am, and decided bed as a more interesting option.

Might give it another go, but only if I can guarantee myself I don't have to sit through the first half again.

Mr. Green Middle Finger

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/zB4I68XVPzQ
Dance! Clapping Dance! Clapping Dance! Clapping Dance!

Praying

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue one 6.5/10

Won't go on much about this but I thought it was above average. View it as a separate entity within the universe and it is fairly solid. Preferred the main protagonist in this to the other one by a fair margin.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 21:51 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan - 7/10

Not the usual X-men film but I enjoyed this allot. Shame this is the last time we'll see Wolverine / Xavier but they've had a monster run with it (17 odd years).

Kong : Skull Island - 7/10

What's not to like? Giant everythings causing mayhem.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:02 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
I enjoyed this allot.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TffVGLElI/AAAAAAAACxA/trH1ch0Y3tI/s320/ALOT6.pnghttps://1.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TflwXvTgI/AAAAAAAACxI/qgd1wYcTWV8/s320/ALOT12.pnghttps://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8Tdnn-NE0I/AAAAAAAACww/khYjZePN50Y/s400/ALOT4.png

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Keks

The thing is, he spelled it 'Allot' which means to give out or distribute.

Maybe he just missed the comma?

'I enjoyed this, allot.'

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just endured Assassin's Creed
dafuq was that all about?
I could hardly wait for it to finish
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:44 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superhero film #489 aka Antman 4.5/10 - couldn't find anything to watch so thought I'd give this a go. It tries to be funny but only achieves mild amusement, the rest of it's like Iron Man meets the borrowers, not worthy of a sequel...

... but that won't stop them.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split 5.5/10 - probably deserves a higher rating but psychological thrillers aren't my kinda thing, however this film did keep me engaged. Really good performance by James McAvoy. I'm going to discuss the spoiler hopefully without spoiling it; it's not a twist, it's launching yet another f'ing superhero franchise. Really? Is that what the world of film needs? Another f**king one?

It's fair to say I was not amused by that Folded arms
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 116 of 194