Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
John Wick 2 2/10. Like a movie made from a particularly 3rd-rate arcade video-game. Unmitigated tedious drivel for sub-normal teenagers.

No, I didn't watch it to the end.

John Wick: Chapter 2 - 8/10

Thought it was awesome.
But I really like the "underworld" of The Continental and what goes with it.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hells Angels on Wheels (1967) - 7 / 10

Quote:
At first gas station attendant Poet is happy when the Hells Angels gang finally accepts him. But he's shocked when he learns just how brutal they are.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061758/

I watched this after reading a Sonny Barger autobiography in which he names this as one of the more 'realistic' depiction of 60's Hells Angels lifestyles and the film he consulted on (and cameo'd in). The film itself is a real B-movie budget flick, filmed at the height of the media storm surrounding the biker gangs in the USA and the associated counterculture movement. Anyway, it stars a young Jack Nicholson, Adam Roarke and Sabrina Scharf (yum). The plot is a bit weak, the script isn't amazing but... the main actors do a decent job and the glimpse into the 60's is fascinating. Worth a watch IMO.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wizard of Lies 8/10. Robert DeNiro plays Bernie Madhoff.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:41 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cabin in the Woods 5/10

I get what they were doing with subverting the genre, I really do. And it was well cast, acted and made, no argument. It even had a few (a very few) Whedonesque sparkles, it did.

But it didn't gel for me. Two separate narratives that came together awkwardly at the end. The literally scripted inevitability of the narrative removed any emotional investment in the characters or their fates. Even the surprise demises were pretty token.

30-somethings playing students, urgh. I know it's par for the course, but they could at least have lampshaded it, especially when their "youth" was so pivotal.

And no, Kristen Connolly did not display "so much heart". Show, don't tell.

I see what they were going for, but it didn't work for me. Swing and a miss. The same basic theme was covered more succinctly by Whedon in Inca Mummy Girl, and by South Park in Britney's New Look.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION solid 8/10.

Worth the plaudits it's received. Not a dry eye in the house for this one, but well worth a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
John Wick 2 2/10. Like a movie made from a particularly 3rd-rate arcade video-game. Unmitigated tedious drivel for sub-normal teenagers.

No, I didn't watch it to the end.

John Wick: Chapter 2 - 8/10

Thought it was awesome.
But I really like the "underworld" of The Continental and what goes with it.

John Wick: Chapter 2 - 1/10

Utter bilge.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Theory of Everything 5.5/10 - story of how Stephen Hawking became a robot. Really good performances by Rouge One lady and robot man, it's just I don't really feel I learnt much about his life. Not a bad film it just doesn't stand up against other sciency bios like a beautiful mind or the imitation game.

Yellow Paddy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:59 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Arthur: legend of the Sword 4/10

Jude Law is a good baddie but the story is a bit too naff, Arthur is not very likeable and his pals hardly register in the film.
Good fighting bits and fun in medieval 'London'.

Perhaps just too comic-bookish for me.

4/10

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:32 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grindhouse: Planet Terror: 0/10

Turns out that a deliberately god-awful unwatchable pitch-perfect homage to god-awful unwatchable 70's sexploitation zombiegore is god-awful and unwatchable.

I wouldn't even call it a parody or a pastiche. It adds nothing, isn't clever in any way, and is just straight up dire.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Turns out that a deliberately god-awful unwatchable pitch-perfect homage to god-awful unwatchable 70's sexploitation zombiegore is god-awful and unwatchable.

I wouldn't even call it a parody or a pastiche. It adds nothing, isn't clever in any way, and is just straight up dire.

I'm beginning to wonder if you deliberately seek out bad films Thinking

You sadist

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wick: Chapter 2 - 1/10

Fecking awful!

I, generously, gave it a "1" because I couldn't detect any spelling mistakes in the credits.
A wild stab in the dark, it won't be winning any awards.

They obviously lifted the plot from the Fast Show's "Long Big Punch Up" as far as I can tell.

https://rs1181.pbsrc.com/albums/x435/Traduzioni1/Long_Big_punch_up.mp4?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:54 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Suntan Sid...

John Wick 2 - 5/10

It wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either. The dialogue was terrible though, the worst. I was really looking forward to the bluray and watching it for the past couple months... what a disappointment.

However, I then watched...

A Cure for Wellness - 7.5/10

I thought this was brilliant. Loved the mystery of all the weird stuff going on and nothing was as it seemed and turned out to be quite a strange but good film. It reminded me a little bit of Shutter Island, but nowhere near as good in plot or calibre of actors.

Think I will get Ghost in a Shell & Fate of the Furious out the way later.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:15 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if you deliberately seek out bad films Thinking

You sadist

I like to indulge Netflix' and Amazon's recommendations. Sadly I think I've run though most of what I will enjoy, and I'll get 10 years in pokey if I use Kodi, right? Whistle

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:47 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw Ridge: 2/10

Yours is to serve, unto the last drop of your blood, that your brothers might live to fight on. Watch over them, heal them, offer up your very life should it extend theirs but a moment, and by your sacrifice the enemy be slain. And when the time comes that you must fulfill your most solemn oath, speak clearly, speak proudly, speed the bolt that brings his end and send him joyous to the Emperor’s side. Then do your duty, take that which is due, and know your mission is done.

The first war film shot entirely in super-close-up, slow-motion, and awww-eeeeh-awww orchestral choir wailing.

Scores 1 for Dorothy Doss, and 1 for the number of JipNaps slaughtered by the righteous fury of the chosen.

Ahhh... Mel Gibson. Now I get it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:14 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpool: 9/10

Having missed the hype for this, the opening credits alone were: Eh? Shocked Laughing Thumbs UpVery HappyThumbs Up

And that was pretty much the theme for the rest of the film. As a Deadpool film, cheerfully breaking the 4th wall, it was just spot on, and laugh out loud funny.

Dinged 1 for featuring Ryan Reynolds, except that nobody except Ryan Reynolds could have played Deadpool. Another -1 for Stefan Kapicic's phoned-in voicing of Colossus. Plus 1 for Gina Carano, the Wonder Woman we deserved but didn't get.

Less spaff, more watch. I absolutely, positively, guarantee that you will not regret it.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Founder - 7.5/10
Quite interesting true story about the origin's of the Mcdonalds restaurants and how they were essentially "hijacked" and turned into the polar-opposite, modern version, of how the company started.

Sand Castle - 7/10
Reasonable watch, nothing particularly new or special but on a par with Jarhead and the like.

War Machine - 8/10
Slightly unusual approach compared to similars films, kept finding myself shifting between finding it interesting and oddly amusing at times, to being unsure if it was just boring and slow. Its a slightly tongue in cheek take (using an alternative fictional alias) on the (mis)management of the Afghanistan conflict by General Stanley McChrystal. One of few films I'd say Brad Pitt was quite well cast in.

xXx: Return of Xander Cage - 5/10
Meh. Not watched the original xXx in years to be fair, but seem to remember it being reasonable stunts and action wise at least. This one just seemed like a try-hard sequel that probably should of been left alone.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'll get 10 years in pokey if I use Kodi, right? Whistle

Only if you live in Camberley.

Fargo 4/10 - watched this as I like the series... the film's no where near as good. You can see where they've borrowed elements for the series but the plot/characters aren't as good. If you like the series you can skip this Thumbs Up

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 4/10

Yellow Paddy wrote:
4/10

Agree with the previous reviewer regarding the score. It's crap.

Think of Lord Of The rings meets Snatch and then you're pretty much there with the storyline and script. I imagine a funny Youtuber has already done similar years ago, and probably made a better job of it. The only problem with mixing 'geezer' black comedies with Middle-Earth Dungeons and Dragons type films is neither audience really wants to see the other. The geezer film audience don't really understand what a Mage Level 4 is, and the D&D audience probably wonder why all the lead characters think they're in Eastenders.

Anyway, it's crap. Jude Law does a decent stab at playing the evil King and... that's it.

Thumbs Down

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
... Jude Law does a decent stab at playing the evil King and... that's it.

Cause Jude Law is awesome.... shame about his co-stars
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Remind me, is that the one with a machine-gun leg and Willis and Tarantino cameos?

If so, you've rated it a nadge high.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:16 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Remind me, is that the one with a machine-gun leg and Willis and Tarantino cameos?

If so, you've rated it a nadge high.

I never even got to the leg. Literally (well, cinematographically) unwatchable, I gave it about 20 minutes and that was all I could take. I think there were zombies coming, but I'm not sure and wasn't given any reason to care.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan - 6/10

The first 2/3 of the film were good, the last bits just, nah. What was surprising, was to see Stephen Merchant there. I've never expected to see him there, I guess Ricky Gervais had bussy schedule, so they decided to get the ''other'' British guy instead. Merchant did a good job, none the less. I only wonder, if Merchant told them no, would they call Karl Pilkington? Razz

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie and Clyde (1967) - 8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061418/

Tells the story of one of, if not, the most famous criminal couples; Bonnie Elizabeth Parker and Clyde Chestnut Barrow a.k.a. Clyde Champion Barrow. American criminals who travelled the central United States with their gang during the Great Depression, robbing people and killing when cornered or confronted.

Stars an excellent Warren Beatty, Michael Pollard, Faye Dunaway (yum!) and Gene Hackman, with a small part for Gene Wilder in there too.

Great acting and decent action scenes shows you don't need CGI to tell a good story. Gruesome end though.. eesh!

Worth a watch.
Thumbs Up

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:19 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan - 8/10
The Two hours just flew-by, usually I'm busting for a piss by the time a film ends so the film held my attention which is good.

The Lego Batman Movie - 7/10
Didn't think it was as good as The Lego Movie but still a good watch, well, til' near the end that is, but it is a kids movie so I won't hold it down for it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Remains of Edith Finch (video game) - 10/10

I know Roger is going to give me the ''off topic'' rating, but this video game was really great. It was more of a interactive film, to be honest, hence me telling you about it here. Very well made, nice visualls, soundtrack and great way of interaction and gameplay. The story line was actually very well paced and written. This could work as a stand alone film and I would still give it 10/10.

If you've got a gaming PC or console, give this a go. Roughly 3 hours to finish it. I'm still amazed how well a video game can tell a story and involve the player in it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 122 of 194