Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter Ascending 4.5/10 - not bad for trashy Sci-Fi but not enough substance for real science fiction fans. Meg from family guy pulls off her normal trick of becoming increasingly hotter the longer she's on screen Wub

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
CHIPS 4.5/10 - lots of motorcycle scenes which's good, a few funny bits but overall it's a poor film.

I'd give it a 6.5/10, thought it was quite funny, +2 may have been alcohol induced.

Also want a hypermotard even more now Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same, I hate product placement but it seems to work Neutral

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullitt 3/10 - probably going to offend a few people with this one, but it's a crap film, even the famous chase scene's crap. Steve McQueen looks like Moe Szyslak.

The Five-Year Engagement 6.5/10 - it's a romcom, but it's actually pretty funny, probably needs to be your type of humour but I had a number of genuine LOL moments.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:29 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye in the Sky 7/10

Well cast talking-shop procedural about mass murdering snackbar from above. Slow but measured pacing, decent acting, and a plausible enough dilemma about the practicalities, politics and PR of slaughtering for peace.

XXX 2 aka XXX2 aka The Next Level aka State of the Union 2/10

Sup, homes, it be our conseytooshnul right to jack crackers' cars and shizzle for justice and the murcan dream, yo.

Only very slightly paraphrased. A non-self-aware blaxploitation written by two white guys. I gave up at the point where they felt that an A1 Abrams wasn't turrety enough, so they put a turret on the turret so they could turret while they turreted, dawg.

Here Alone 8/10

A low key, low budget, Kickstarted to completion zompocalypse survival character piece.

Real (as opposed to Hollywood) looking actors and actresses, lots of quiet, lingering woodland scenes, and a dash of tasteful nudity so that you know you're watching art.

Carefully shot, a few piano and string chords for a score, restrained, convincing acting and time for human relationships between the tiny cast to develop before the post-humans bring it to a conclusion.

Not big, not fast, but effective and surprising affecting.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Eye in the Sky 7/10

Well cast talking-shop procedural about mass murdering snackbar from above. Slow but measured pacing, decent acting, and a plausible enough dilemma about the practicalities, politics and PR of slaughtering for peace.

I really enjoyed that film, the way they kept tension the whole way through was awesome.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty and the Beast... 5/10

Being a father and grandfather I've watched loads of Disney stuff with my offspring and usually quite enjoy it.

The old cartoon is a classic but this, no, doesn't quite work, manly because the casting is crap.

Emma Watson just doesn't have the charisma for the part of Belle. The Beast would have shagged her and fucked her off for a better woman.

The beast was OK when he was the beast but when he transformed into the Prince my 9 year old granddaughter called him ugly Laughing

And Gaston was no where near big and powerful and nasty enough.

Even the special effects were pretty poor.

So a 5/10 for effort and the fact my granddaughter enjoyed it.

I didn't.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:46 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
I really enjoyed [Eye in the Sky], the way they kept tension the whole way through was awesome.

The pacing was spot on, they did manage to keep cranking it up.

One distraction was the obviously CGI hummingbird drone, which I found jarring since the real things have existed for years.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:53 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Last night, I sat with the mrs and watched San Andreas again (cos she fell asleep first time round).

The rock cant really act. Any attempt at acting looks like a kid overreacting to a situation. Carla Guggino is a bit of a Milf, and there is a glimpse of Kylie. Alexandria Daddario is in it though.

About sums it up. The plot is beyond ridiculous - Must get away from open ground! Enter urban areas! Seek shelter beside precarious buildings! Repeatedly!

Guggino is milfy as all get-out though and I appreciate them casting a female lead of the same age as their 2020 President rather than the usual 10-15 years younger.

I did like Daddario (about 5 years too old for the role) having a tantrum because an unrelated person puts his own life above hers. "But I'm a pretty girl! Look at my firm, bouncing rack! I deserve to be rescued by the menfolk! My eggs need protecting! [stamps heel, flicks shiny hair]"

It's impossible to dislike President 2020 though - go ahead and try - and you can't fault the disaster count. Not one to analyse too hard.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie Brasco (1997) – 9/10

Awesome cop / mob flick where a young undercover agent (Depp) infiltrates the Italian mob by befriending a older ‘wiseguy’ (Pacino).

Great story, cast, script and direction. You really feel for the characters in this film. Totally recommended.

Thumbs Up

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:52 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I watched:
Shot Caller - 9.5/10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4633690/
Brilliant film with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister from GOT) who goes into max security prison as a successful straight business man, joins a skins gang for security, and comes out pure badass. LOTS of blood and guts Wink I highly recommend this film. I watch a lot of films, usually at least one a night, and this is the best I have seen in a long while.

Dunkirk - 9/10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/?ref_=nv_sr_1
My one cinema trip this year. I found this film pretty harrowing, knowing that just about everything in the film is true. It's a 12A rating, so no blood, limbs or guts flying around, but it really doesn't need it. It is very well made (directed by Christopher Nolan, so it's to be expected) and is pretty much straight up action from the start, right through to the end.

Just out of interest, would anyone be interested in swapping torrent site invites, if that's allowed on here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:23 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
knowing that just about everything in the film is true.

Is it?

Hmm, might actually be:

https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/dunkirk/

Nolan has justified paint schemes that were off by one month, which is a pretty decent sign. Thinking

AngiBear
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:42 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn of the Dead - original from 1978 - 9/10. Watched this in tribute to one of my favourite directors, George A. Romaero who died recently. Absolutely love this film, it has everything from really bad fake blood to clown zombies and a chance to see the legendary Tom Savini as a biker too! The ending leaves you to make up your own mind as to what happened next but as part of his Living Dead Series you can pretty much tell what will happen in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:17 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked away, I've watched some stuff.

Hacksaw Ridge

I'm not a massive war film fan, with the exception of Saving Private Ryan (9/10) and Full Metal Jacket (8.5/10), but this film was brilliant. It was a little bit cliche'd in places (alcoholic abusive father - although apparently true), and Andrew Garfield was better than expected even if he did stray dangerously close to Forrest Gump territory (you never go full retard). Amazing story that is even more WTF than the film portrays. I went and got the book after, so I'm looking forwards to that. 8.5/10

Southside With You

A slow paced afternoon / evening following Barack and Michelle on their first "date". The actors were picked brilliantly, the cinematography was well done, the soundtrack is smooth and although not much happens, it was a good way to spend an hour and a half. My only negative comment is that it got a bit preachy in parts. 7/10

Mr Right

Anna Kendrick plays an absolute irritating nutter who catches her boyfriend with another woman, goes out drinking and then catches the eye of a pyscho ex hitman (who now just kills the people who try to hire him because conscience). It was an alright film, Sam Rockwell shines as the aforementioned pyscho hitman with a conscience. Worth a watch 7/10

Misery Loves Comedy

Kevin Pollak helmed documentary / interview medley with comedians about their lives and influences. It seemed cheaply done, but I enjoyed what I saw. I did fall asleep after about 45 mins though, due to a hectic day at work and then a big meal. I'd give what I saw a solid 6.5/10

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie - 8/10

Not a huge fan of Jack Black but when he gets the right film, things work very well.
It's a simple account of a true story in which a very popular, mild mannered man turns murderer when he's pushed past his limit by a nasty old Shirley MacLaine.
Mathew McConaughey is brilliant.
A Linklater gem. Thumbs Up

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 07:55 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Bernie - 8/10

Not a huge fan of Jack Black but when he gets the right film, things work very well.
It's a simple account of a true story in which a very popular, mild mannered man turns murderer when he's pushed past his limit by a nasty old Shirley MacLaine.
Mathew McConaughey is brilliant.
A Linklater gem. Thumbs Up

I saw this years ago. I'd go 6.5 or 7/10, but I agree with you.

I got dragged to the cinema last night to watch:

War Of The Planet Of The Apes 7/10

Enjoyable enough film, third in the new series but I had missed the second, so was playing catch-up a little bit. The motion capture and CG work was amazing. Woody Harrelson was brilliant and visually the thing is a treat. Maybe 30 minutes too long, but not a bad film.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saint(2017) -1,000,000

Execrable.

Don't know how we managed a whole 15 minutes.

Ian Ogilvy and Roger Moore should be turning in their graves - well, Ogilvy isn't even dead but he should be, and in a grave, and turning.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 27 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equals 5/10 - lass from Twilight and that skins about a boy beast fellow (I'm great with names) fall in love in a dystopian future where emotions are outlawed. It's ok but far too slow.

The Gift (2015) 7/10 - much more to it than I was expecting, a good thriller that keeps you engaged 'til the end.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knowing (starring Nicolas Cage).

One of the worst films I've seen for a long, long time. So bad that as hard as I tried to make it to the end, I just couldn't and turned it off with about 15-20 minutes to go. I've probably only done that a total of three times in my life.

I got the blue ray for just £1.19 and I feel robbed and violated. Sad

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:10 - 28 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
(starring Nicolas Cage).

Let's be honest that's a fairly big clue it's gonna be a stinker Very Happy I recently failed to make it through matchstick men starring the cage.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, Daniel Blake 5/10 - loosely based on Rogerborg's life Whistle Acting's a bit rubbish in places, and is a tad unbelievable (unless people are a LOT nicer up north). It captures the frustration of dealing with any sort of government institution, and has a few moments when you emphasise with the characters. Probably better and less preachy than I was expecting but still a bit meh.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

47 ronin 5/10

meh it cant make its mind up if its going to be a samurai film or a sci fi /myths film

some good action in it but not a lot mainly people walking about on about honour and loyalty

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Donnie Brasco (1997) – 9/10

Awesome cop / mob flick where a young undercover agent (Depp) infiltrates the Italian mob by befriending a older ‘wiseguy’ (Pacino).

Great story, cast, script and direction. You really feel for the characters in this film. Totally recommended.

Thumbs Up

I think this was Pacino's best ever.

The Green Mile 7/10
Based on a Stephen King tale, starring Tom Hanks (always a good start). I thought everyone in it did a good job actually. A very different prison story, with a typically King-esque twist.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:02 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer School (1987) [7.5/10]

I watched this as I sometimes listen to a podcast about 'non worthy' movies which are nevertheless enjoyable. Not critically acclaimed but still decent... Almost guilty pleasures but not quite. This movie featured this week.

This one was actually pretty bloody good. You expect this to be a mid eighties high school thing with a few naked chicks and stuff, but actually it's a fun and sometimes thoughtful comedy with a little bit of coming of age stuff and all that. Pretty much all the characters are likeable and by the end you're rooting for them. Not Shakespeare, but not half bad![/b]

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The Green Mile 7/10
Based on a Stephen King tale, starring Tom Hanks (always a good start). I thought everyone in it did a good job actually. A very different prison story, with a typically King-esque twist.

Watched this film a while ago, really enjoyed it, definitely worth a watch.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 127 of 194