Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector and the search for happiness -

Quite a sweet film. I Actually enjoyed it. Simple enough, maybe a tad patronisingly so. Makes you think, a little, without being overly self help. Funny at times, and Simon Pegg was solid and did what he needed to do to make it watchable.

Perfect film for the plane.

Personally, i would even go as far as a 7/10, As i said, It was a pleasant film to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream House 3.5/10 - Daniel Craig thing, the idea was good, it had decent actors but it somehow came out spectacularly shit. Just read the Wikipedia page: It was released... to critical and commercial disaster to the point that Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz have disowned it Very Happy

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gifted - 7.5/10:

A pretty warm and heartfelt film. Doesn't really reach any great depth, but does come to a couple of moral dilemmas. Some really good performances, and I found the gifted girls performance very sweet.

Not the film of the year, but it did what it is supposed to do. A nice film; I enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dark Tower - 1/10

I was really looking forward to watching this, I expected there to be some differences from the books since they made 1 movie from 7 books.... the only thing it had in common was 2 main characters and a tower. The story was shit, the acting was shit, the action was shit, the effects were shit...... in short.... it was SHIT

Yellow Paddy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:57 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atomic Blonde 6/10

Cold war spy action thriller with lots of fighting. Enjoyably Eighties. Female protagonist, yay girl power.

Terrible name and adverts, so I went in with low expectations. Actually quite good though.

Overall a pretty conventional spy thriller, but with strong 80s vibe and a kick-ass female lead. I was worried it would be annoying and feministy but it isn't - even has gratuitous lesbo action to redress the balance.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risky Business - 5/10 Never seen this before Embarassed As there's enough references to it (in other shows etc.) I thought I'd give it a go... not what I was expecting, it was seedier and more artsy than I had in mind. It's alright as a film, it had a warmth to the acting (as odd as that sounds) which you don't get with modern films/TV, it didn't feel like they shot each scene umpteen times and instead they went with what they had.

Anyway seen it now so I'll know WTF people are going on about Thumbs Up

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:07 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still watching films on my lunch, and having spent about 18 hours on a plane, I've watched a few recently...

Goon: Last Of The Enforcers

I am a massive fan of the first Goon film, so have been looking to watch this since this came out in April in Canada. Finally found a decent version and loved it. Not quite up to the originals standards, it starts off with the protagonist being forced out of the game due to injury. Although not as endearing as the first film (which had more character development), it still has proper belly laugh moments. TJ Miller is irritating (again) 8/10

Colossal

Anne Hathaway goes home after getting dumped and co-incides with a monster in Seoul, which mirrors her actions. I enjoyed the film, but found it hard to keep concentration... Worth a watch, but don't buy the DVD / BluRay etc. 7/10

Zootropolis

An underrated gem of a film. Very funny and well written. 7.5 / 10

The Cabin In The Woods

Very funny, self knowing horror film, with a great script, great story, decent actors and a brilliant end. Highly recommended 8/10

This is now the third time I have tried to watch this. I've got an hour and a half in, and just.... don't care. The CGI isn't immersive (or impressive - it reminds me a bit of "Reboot"). Bad guy is Typical Bad Guy, Ripley looking old af yo, and yeah, I couldn't finish it. 5/10

The Belko Experiment

Watched this again (saw it at the cinema) and it is still a very good example of a horror comedy. Tightly written, well filmed and with a very dark humour, I would recommend this all day long 8.5/10

Guardians Of The Galaxy vol 2

Again, watched on the plane because it was there and again, another film that is good, but doesn't surpass the original for me. If it was a standalone, it'd be 8.5/10, but as a sequel it's maybe an 8/10. Having said that, Michael Rooker is brilliant. I'm Mary Poppins, y'all.

Moana

Another one that I think was a little bit underrated. The story is better than the usual disney fare, The rock is very funny and self depricating, some good songs in there (including one by the Flight Of The Concorde dude). 8/10

Sausage Party

Started watching this some time ago and fell asleep. Started it again, and enjoyed it but it fell short of my expectations. The trailer was the funniest parts of it. Great idea, but I don't think it was strong enough to support a feature film run time. Strange orgy scene as well. 6/10

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Happened to Monday - 7.5/10

Quote:
In a world where families are limited to one child due to overpopulation, a set of identical septuplets must avoid being put to a long sleep by the government and dangerous infighting while investigating the disappearance of one of their own.

Not a bad film. Decent seeing how one person can play 7 different characters in one film.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6/10

Tacky American sci-fi action. Painfully American humour for most of it.

Macbeth (2015): 6/10

Didn't hear about this at the time it was made. Large cast of fairly recognisable British actors, as well Michael Fassbender who took the lead. Shame none of the actors were Scottish though. Hard to take it seriously when you can hear the Englishness coming through in all of them. Fassbender couldn't break from his Irishness either.

Ghost in the Shell: 8.5/10

Finally a film based on a popular cult nerdy thing that isn't ruined too badly. Original is still far better, but this live-action version does a great job. Top soundtrack and sticks quite firmly to the original storyline. Only failing is that the script is dumbed down a fair bit so all the philosophical undertones regarding AI and human robotic enhancement are completely lost. Good film as a standalone sci-fi anyway.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Finally a film based on a popular cult nerdy thing that isn't ruined too badly. Original is still far better, but this live-action version does a great job. Top soundtrack and sticks quite firmly to the original storyline. Only failing is that the script is dumbed down a fair bit so all the philosophical undertones regarding AI and human robotic enhancement are completely lost. Good film as a standalone sci-fi anyway.

Are you fucking kidding....

8.5/10

It's shite.
Looks good, but it's shit.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

8.5/10

It's shite.

To be fair, I watched the manga version a while back (while trying to find the new one), I thoroughly enjoyed it, OK the live action version was close.... but compared to the original (I would have scored 8/10), it was a 5/10 at best.... for me the fights just didn't have the same.... aggressiveness? to them, they just seemed dumbed down and rushed.... if that makes sense.

On a similar note.... it did remind me of some of the decent manga stuff I watched years ago (legend of the four kings is the first that springs to mind.... I believe Channel 4 had a slot around 3am where they would show a different series, although I can't remember most of them)

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:08 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Lenny
0/10
What a massive waste of time and money. An embarrassment to Michael Bisping (UFC fighter of which I'm a big fan) Really really bad acting, a fairytale of a storyline (based on Lenny McLean and if you research he was just a bully who lost more fights than he won) i didn't make it to the end purely on the idiotic facial expressions of Bisping.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

8.5/10

It's shite.

Maybe I was too easily won over by the ultra nostalgia. Having just watched the rooftop scene from the original and discovered how very much different (and better) it is, I think maybe I was wrong there.

However I also think you're only getting pissy because "the original was better". As a standalone sci-fi among all the ultra shite that comes out these days, I still rate this new release quite highly.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:52 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunkirk - 08/10

A bit slow at the start and the time line is all over the place but it went fairly quick and held my attention til the end. Usually I'm waiting for the film to finish so I can go for a piss about half to a third way through. This time the piss waited till the very end, so not a boring film.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
Dunkirk - 08/10

The time line is all over the place

This bugged me too, didnt seem very well executed.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6/10

Tacky American sci-fi action. Painfully American humour for most of it.

I'll agree with your rating. It had plenty of funny bits but I found it dragged a bit. Not as good as the first one, although part of that might be I was looking forward to this for a while.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim Dotcom - Caught in the web. 8/10
Documentary about Kim, Megaupload etc etc

Interesting, if you are into this sorta stuff.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit 3/10 - thought I'd give this a try as film critics have been getting wet over it. I was expecting another film to prop up the current dindu nuffin narrative... and it duly delivered.

I get it's based on true events, but if you're going to go in with a broad subject matter, then choose to focus on one event, and not even tell that story properly you've created a poor piece of cinema... or maybe propaganda Thinking

Read this review: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/the-disappointments-of-detroit/535899/ and save yourself 2+ hours of your life.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Accountant - 6/10

Reasonably entertaining. I think Ben Affleck was fairly good, and Anna is hot. Interesting portrayal of proper autism, rather than the garden variety that everyone has now but maybe a touch over exaggerated. Fairly predictable at times. Few loose ends left untied, but over all a good film to stick your feet up to with a pizza and beer.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:07 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I get it's based on true events

You mean the rioting and the fact that there were fatalities, sure.

I believe much of the rest is disclaimed away as speculative, yes? Nobody never did nuffin.

Seems like #BlackLivesExploitation to me, tapping into and ramping up the current Kill-a-Kracker zeitgeist. Probably Trump's fault.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Angels' Share 6/10 - Scottish thing by Ken Loach that could really have done subtitles Whistle (at least they knew this with NEDS). I think they covered every Scottish sterotype in this, still there was enough humour to get me through the film, and the story although completely fantastical was a welcome break from the usual way these types of films go.

Also there's a brief appearance from Podrick and James McAvoy's hot sister Wub

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prisoners 4/10 - Wolverine and Donnie Darko fight over missing kids or something. I dunno, it was incredibly long and convoluted so I stopped caring, there might have been a good story in there somewhere but I didn't see it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

It's shite.

I'm gonna agree more with Percy here, albeit not to the same score - watched it last night, was enjoyable enough and would watch it again without complaining too loudly. I'd give it a 7.

Half a point of that is probably for the use of an Esprit, and at least a point of it is for SJ in that skin suit.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing Hasselhoff - 4.5/10

It was quite alright, had its funny moments and surprising selection of actors and comedians. Ken Jeong is betting with his mates on what celebrity is going to die next. Then, he's misses a payment to a loanshark, tl; dr Ken Jeong is going to try to kill the Hoff to win his bet. The film could have been better if Jim Jefferies got more space.

The Hitman's Bodyguard - 6/10

Great cast, well executed, yet somehow generic and boring. Ryan Reynolds was alright, he always is, but Samuel L. Jackson seemed like he didn't want to be there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 130 of 194