Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Transformers The Last Knight : 6/10

This is how good it was... I looked at the length and it says 2:30 or something. Started watching it at midnight, finished the film at 1am.

Thought to myself, that's fucking mad, I just watched a 2.5hr film in 1hr Laughing Laughing

I have this Android remote for my PC and I must have hit the seek button and skipped 1.5hrs of the film and didn't even notice because the story is so shit anyway.

And it still gets a 6? Eh? The Transformers movies are awful, they're the epitome of lazy Hollywood CGI shite. I honestly don't know why people pay to watch them Sad

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 22:20 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Jayy wrote:
Transformers The Last Knight : 6/10

This is how good it was... I looked at the length and it says 2:30 or something. Started watching it at midnight, finished the film at 1am.

Thought to myself, that's fucking mad, I just watched a 2.5hr film in 1hr Laughing Laughing

I have this Android remote for my PC and I must have hit the seek button and skipped 1.5hrs of the film and didn't even notice because the story is so shit anyway.

And it still gets a 6? Eh? The Transformers movies are awful, they're the epitome of lazy Hollywood CGI shite. I honestly don't know why people pay to watch them Sad

End of the day, it's transformers and as a kid, I loved playing with the toys and watching the cartoon... as most of us did. So to see my favourite childhood toys kicking fuck out of each other, appeals to the inner kid in me and the CGI is well done.

Let's be honest, nobody is watching transformers for the character development and story driven plot Laughing

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:41 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the good lady to watch IT on Friday. Was expecting (based on reviews / mates on fb) a terrifying horror film. The scariest thing was the three girls sat in front of us, talking loudly and taking selfies all the way through the film, despite being told multiple times to shut the fuck up. Seriously, this is the future generation? We be fucked.
I enjoyed the film, the characters were well fleshed out, although how all the adults are weird creepers or asshats was a bit crap. Good story and I will watch chapter 2 when it is released.
IT: 7/10
Future Generation 0.5/10 (they did manage to breathe and take selfies at the same time...)

Last night, we watched Ouija: Origin Of Evil. The first Ouija film was absolute bobbins, but the boy is on a horror film kick but is a bit fragile so we thought that this would be a good one to watch for him but not scar him for life. This one is set in 1963 (the original was present day) and was much enjoyable. Mainly jump scares, but I didn't mind it because the tension in the build up was done well. 7/10

Any recommendations on horror films for a 14 year old to watch that isn't scary enough for him to not sleep properly for 3 months?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
End of the day, it's transformers and as a kid, I loved playing with the toys and watching the cartoon... as most of us did. So to see my favourite childhood toys kicking fuck out of each other, appeals to the inner kid in me and the CGI is well done.

Let's be honest, nobody is watching transformers for the character development and story driven plot Laughing

That's kinda my problem with the movies, people only watch them because ooh it's Transformers, remove the name and you'd probably think what's this shite and turn it off.

Starred Up 4/10 - Cook from Skins goes to prison and some stuff happens. I think there was a message in there somewhere, but it's somewhat muddied by the plot which was a bit all over the place.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
I took the good lady to watch IT on Friday. Was expecting (based on reviews / mates on fb) a terrifying horror film. The scariest thing was the three girls sat in front of us, talking loudly and taking selfies all the way through the film, despite being told multiple times to shut the fuck up. Seriously, this is the future generation? We be fucked.
I enjoyed the film, the characters were well fleshed out, although how all the adults are weird creepers or asshats was a bit crap. Good story and I will watch chapter 2 when it is released.
IT: 7/10
Future Generation 0.5/10 (they did manage to breathe and take selfies at the same time...)

Last night, we watched Ouija: Origin Of Evil. The first Ouija film was absolute bobbins, but the boy is on a horror film kick but is a bit fragile so we thought that this would be a good one to watch for him but not scar him for life. This one is set in 1963 (the original was present day) and was much enjoyable. Mainly jump scares, but I didn't mind it because the tension in the build up was done well. 7/10

Any recommendations on horror films for a 14 year old to watch that isn't scary enough for him to not sleep properly for 3 months?

Zombieland
Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Proper funny but with gateway gore that will allow him to step up to the next level.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Dogs Purpose. 7/10

Enjoyable actually. Very sweet film, good start and sweet end although sags in the middle and is a bit repetitive. The various dogs performance throughout was actually really good. A nice film to watch with the kids with sweets on a Saturday afternoon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:07 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunkirk - 8.5/10

Really really good film. First war movie I've seen that seemed to present it realistically. Probably because there's no lead character, and it's presented in a haphazard way to ensure you don't just end up blindly following the narrative.

Only complaint I have is that there wasn't much variety. The whole film is on one beach and a few boats. Certainly didn't get bored at any point though.

Oh and there are lots of scenes showing the Spitfire blokes doing their thing - not your classic dogfight heroics nonsense though - it was realistic 'patrolling the Channel' stuff and the pilots were presented as proper stiff upper lip officer grade material (but not the cliched stereotype). Loads of camera angles from the air scenes were great too.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
although I still don't get what the relationship between a 12 and 15/16yr old's all about, surely that's paedophilia Confused

Not really.
Not sure if I've seen that film or not.
But if it's about a relationship between a teen and a pre-pubescent, the label for this age gap should not be paedophilia, it should be kept simple: early interest and experimentation.

I'm gonna stick my head out above the parapet to try and talk common sense on that one. Paedophilia is so difficult to define around that age.
It's an incredibly difficult subject to get right.
But it really doesn't kick in until one party is considerably older (and more sophisticated) than the other. Otherwise its just kids mucking about discovering sexuality, and why should they not.

Obviously there is a limit, as it ought not need be even stated that children and babies are always off limits, but 12 years old is one of those tricky ages where its entirely possible that a wilful girl wanting to appear older can seem more mature, and certainly its easier to be older-looking than she really is. Confusing for men of all ages from 12 to 112.

A much older man (i.e., 20 or older) taking a sexual interest in a 12 year old girl, is also clearly wrong. 18 and 19 years old is kinda borderline, but obviously cases should be looked at individually.

In a less PC-hysterical world, a three or four year age gap between certain ages should be considered just teenagers learning about sex together. I distinctly remember having a "crush" at 12 years old on a boy about 16 years old, in fact several boys, and at 14 or 15 I briefly dated someone who was at least 24. He soon gave up when he realised I was too naive and he wasn't going to get anywhere with me. Yes, there actually was a time when I really was VERY naive; more than made up for it now, though Laughing

A 14 year old girl with a 18 year old boy isn't necessarily paedophilia either, despite that one is above the age of consent and one is not. And even if he were 19, teenage girls can be incredibly predatory, and boys a lot more naive than they are given credit for. Having said that, I recognise that there are clear instances of overt sexual interest which are definitely undesirable, but we need to go back to a situation where every case really should stand on its own facts, on the individual opinions of both parties, without being induced by hysterical parents or social workers.

Also at 12 years old I was mistaken for an 18 year old, without even trying. If I had wanted to do sex back then (barely even knew what it was!) I could easily have pulled, and certainly did get myself into (and out of) some tricky situations between 12 and 15. I was also on the unhappy end of a bout of familial paedophilia around that age, so I DO know the difference.

Once I was a functioning adult I realised that some of the teenage situations I got into (as a result of rebelling against the situation I was in at home) could have gone very wrong for me, but of course I thought I knew it all back then, when in fact I was incredibly naive. But at least I never got thrown out of the pub with all the other teenage girls Laughing Thumbs Up

I think from 12, many almost-teens are aware of [society's perception of] love and sexual matters, certainly the birds and the bees talk has usually been had by then, and so their efforts ought to be perceived as early experimentation.

I feel sorry for teenage boys up to the age of 16 nowadays who must be terrified of being labelled as paedophiles, if they even appear interested in anybody younger than themselves.

Its a sad indictment that at a time when young people are confused enough already, without so-called adults telling them they are doing wrong by exploring their sexuality with their peers.

Brick Wall

Strange place to do a Teffers, in the middle of this thread, but there you go: the moment for rantage is upon me. To put it into direct context of films, the example of Jodie Foster in not one or two but THREE* clear instances of a very young girl being/dressing more mature than her very obvious prepubescent/young teen age.

Not to mention Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby and Blue Lagoon Shocked both controversial in very different ways, but relevant to whether in one instance its paedophilia and in the other where its romantic teenage "love" with sex involved.

* Those films being:
Taxi Driver
Bugsy Malone
The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane
(from a very creepy young Martin Sheen - the only time I've seen him in a role where I didn't like him AT ALL)

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Happened to Monday - 7.5 / 10

" In a world where families are allowed only one child due to overpopulation, resourceful identical septuplets must avoid governmental execution and dangerous infighting while investigating the disappearance of one of their own"

A really interesting premise & unique concept/world.
The dynamic between all the sisters (Noomi Rapace) really makes this film great. An example of a film that works brilliantly when a single actor or actress plays multiple parts.

The only negatives (There be spoilers in white)
Once the "Agency" knows the location of the siblings, they don't instantly act with the brutality they show later. However once all the plot pieces start to come together, I was really disappointed that the film wasn't smarter in it's conclusion or reveal, meaning little reasons to revisit the film to look for "tells"

Great film, good pacing and excellent performance by Noomi Rapace.
Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bad Batch
I can't review this film or even give it a rating because I really don't know what it was I just watched.
Netflix gave it 5 stars. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
M.C wrote:
although I still don't get what the relationship between a 12 and 15/16yr old's all about, surely that's paedophilia Confused

Not really.
Not sure if I've seen that film or not.
But if it's about a relationship between a teen and a pre-pubescent, the label for this age gap should not be paedophilia, it should be kept simple: early interest and experimentation.

I'm gonna stick my head out above the parapet to try and talk common sense on that one. Paedophilia is so difficult to define around that age.
It's an incredibly difficult subject to get right.
But it really doesn't kick in until one party is considerably older (and more sophisticated) than the other. Otherwise its just kids mucking about discovering sexuality, and why should they not.

Obviously there is a limit, as it ought not need be even stated that children and babies are always off limits, but 12 years old is one of those tricky ages where its entirely possible that a wilful girl wanting to appear older can seem more mature, and certainly its easier to be older-looking than she really is. Confusing for men of all ages from 12 to 112.

A much older man (i.e., 20 or older) taking a sexual interest in a 12 year old girl, is also clearly wrong. 18 and 19 years old is kinda borderline, but obviously cases should be looked at individually.

In a less PC-hysterical world, a three or four year age gap between certain ages should be considered just teenagers learning about sex together. I distinctly remember having a "crush" at 12 years old on a boy about 16 years old, in fact several boys, and at 14 or 15 I briefly dated someone who was at least 24. He soon gave up when he realised I was too naive and he wasn't going to get anywhere with me. Yes, there actually was a time when I really was VERY naive; more than made up for it now, though Laughing

A 14 year old girl with a 18 year old boy isn't necessarily paedophilia either, despite that one is above the age of consent and one is not. And even if he were 19, teenage girls can be incredibly predatory, and boys a lot more naive than they are given credit for. Having said that, I recognise that there are clear instances of overt sexual interest which are definitely undesirable, but we need to go back to a situation where every case really should stand on its own facts, on the individual opinions of both parties, without being induced by hysterical parents or social workers.

Also at 12 years old I was mistaken for an 18 year old, without even trying. If I had wanted to do sex back then (barely even knew what it was!) I could easily have pulled, and certainly did get myself into (and out of) some tricky situations between 12 and 15. I was also on the unhappy end of a bout of familial paedophilia around that age, so I DO know the difference.

Once I was a functioning adult I realised that some of the teenage situations I got into (as a result of rebelling against the situation I was in at home) could have gone very wrong for me, but of course I thought I knew it all back then, when in fact I was incredibly naive. But at least I never got thrown out of the pub with all the other teenage girls Laughing Thumbs Up

I think from 12, many almost-teens are aware of [society's perception of] love and sexual matters, certainly the birds and the bees talk has usually been had by then, and so their efforts ought to be perceived as early experimentation.

I feel sorry for teenage boys up to the age of 16 nowadays who must be terrified of being labelled as paedophiles, if they even appear interested in anybody younger than themselves.

Its a sad indictment that at a time when young people are confused enough already, without so-called adults telling them they are doing wrong by exploring their sexuality with their peers.

Brick Wall

Strange place to do a Teffers, in the middle of this thread, but there you go: the moment for rantage is upon me. To put it into direct context of films, the example of Jodie Foster in not one or two but THREE* clear instances of a very young girl being/dressing more mature than her very obvious prepubescent/young teen age.

Not to mention Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby and Blue Lagoon Shocked both controversial in very different ways, but relevant to whether in one instance its paedophilia and in the other where its romantic teenage "love" with sex involved.

* Those films being:
Taxi Driver
Bugsy Malone
The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane
(from a very creepy young Martin Sheen - the only time I've seen him in a role where I didn't like him AT ALL)

tl;dr Very Happy

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1b/92/63/1b9263f0bbb0f5b1666517b55a0f131a.jpg

It's a young/underdeveloped 12. I get what you're saying, at school I remember at 15 finding girls a couple of years younger attractive and wondering if I was a bit of a nonce Smile, but I think if someone in the first two years of secondary school went out with someone in the final year you'd raise eyebrows.

It's an odd one as girls generally develop faster than boys, and due to kids staying in school until 16 you've got those who can be (legally) sexually active mixing with students who aren't. Must be even odder for sixth form students.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inferno - 5/10

Tom Hanks being Tom Hanks? Thinking

So, he's a specialist who's the only one that can solve a puzzle to save the world and he's got no idea what is going on, who to trust and who to avoid. The plot twists were rushed, with no solid base. The actuall puzzle solving wasn't even done right.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:00 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:

Zombieland
Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Proper funny but with gateway gore that will allow him to step up to the next level.

He loved Zombieland and can't wait for the new one. T&D? I loved it, and I think he might too. Will look at for the weekend...

I've had a busy one...

Wind River

Decent film about a girl found dead in the middle of nowhere, and the local Wildlife ranger helping the single FBI agent to solve it. Not a bad film, could have benefitted for another 15 - 20 minutes to add exposition a bit, but I enjoyed it. A tad depressing, mind. 7.5/10

No Escape

Owen Wilson gets sent to some non-descipt asian country for work, and the day after they get there, faeces / fan happens, and he has to escape with family in tow. Again, not a bad film but some strange choices made... especially Pierce Brosnans cockney bad boy accent. Worth a watch. 7/10

The Big Sick

Kumail Nanjiani plays himself as a stand up comedian who hooks up with, falls in love, and splits up with a lass who ends up being ill and stuck in a coma. He has to deal with a family who is pushing for an arranged marriage whilst not wanting to do that, also not wanting to upset the apple cart and be kicked out of the family. Based on the real life story of him and his mrs, I enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Baby Driver (again).

Reviewed this before, but based on some poor feedback on here and from friends, I watched it again. I still think it is one of this years best films (up there with LaLaLand). Brilliant soundtrack, choreography, good story, really good ensemble cast.... I can't remember what I gave it before, but i'm going 9.5/10

Volcano

The mrs put this on last night as she was flicking through the channels, and she does love a good disaster movie.
This isn't a good disaster movie. It might have been, when it was first released, but now the acting is cheesy, and the special effects look terrible - even the SciFi channel would reject them as being god-awful. Still watched it to the end though. 5/10

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:11 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
the pilots were presented as proper stiff upper lip officer grade material

They predominatly were at that point. This was before the meat grinder of the Battle of Britain required the RAF to accept oiks and Jonski Foreignzer.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:09 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
the pilots were presented as proper stiff upper lip officer grade material

They predominatly were at that point. This was before the meat grinder of the Battle of Britain required the RAF to accept oiks and Jonski Foreignzer.

Arguably the RAF were in a right state until after the Battle of Britain. They had an arbitrary and class based ranking system (sergeant-pilots), they had terrible tactics (VIC formation anyone?) not enough aircraft etc. The Luftwaffe were superior in almost every measurable way and really the Germans operating at distance over enemy territory was the main advantage they had.

I am surprised we're not all speaking Deutsch now in all honesty.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Visit 7/10

Creepy as fook but also funny with a nice twist.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:19 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Jim Carrey, back when he was good. I'd heard good things about this from everyone I know that had seen it. Gave it a chance and I am glad that I did. A little bit offbeat, but in a good way.

8.5/10

Scouts Guide to The Zombie Apocalypse

Saw the trailer and thought it looked funny. Watched it on Sky Movies and it is pretty good. Not amazing, but does have some really funny moments.

7/10

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:

Remind me what this film is about, i was planning on watching it a while ago.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:21 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman Vs Superman & Wonder Woman - 6/10

Again, super hero films with big budgets and cool CGI. Compare the Batman V superman film to any 1 of 3 Dark Knight films and it doesn't stand up to any of them by a long shot but still enjoyable to watch Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman having epic battles.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Arguably the RAF were in a right state until after the Battle of Britain. They had an arbitrary and class based ranking system (sergeant-pilots), they had terrible tactics (VIC formation anyone?) not enough aircraft etc. The Luftwaffe were superior in almost every measurable way and really the Germans operating at distance over enemy territory was the main advantage they had.

I am surprised we're not all speaking Deutsch now in all honesty.

Sehr interessant.

Funny thing is we'd probably be doing alright now too. A united Europe all under one language, and German technical and economic efficiency across the continent.

Probably not a lot of Jews or gays about though.

Either that or USA would have waded in with a few more nukes. They only ever joined the effort to protect their own interests, after all.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:11 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
CBFcarl wrote:

Remind me what this film is about, i was planning on watching it a while ago.

Following a breakup, Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet get their relationship memories removed. It's hard to say much more without giving away the story, but honestly, give it a watch - I really enjoyed this.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

99 Homes* 5/10 - Andrew Garfield in a thing about repossessing homes, it's as much of a stretch as it sounds. He did a good job as he always but the story was unrealistic.

*but a bitch ain't one

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Sehr interessant.

Funny thing is we'd probably be doing alright now too. A united Europe all under one language, and German technical and economic efficiency across the continent.

Possibly, but dont forget that Germany and Japan are technically advanced, because they lost the war. We razed most of their industrial areas.

So post war they rebuilt them with cutting edge technology, were as we carried on with our pre-war stuff, skint from the war.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Sehr interessant.

Possibly, but dont forget that Germany and Japan are technically advanced, because they lost the war. We razed most of their industrial areas.

So post war they rebuilt them with cutting edge technology, were as we carried on with our pre-war stuff, skint from the war.

It's an interesting point, although I thought zee Germans were more advanced during the war? I know some of it left but I doubt all that 'talent' would have gone away.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wizard of Lies - 6.5/10

The Bernard Madoff's story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Madoff

It was good. Robert De Niro did a good job, the rest of the cast was quite well picked. But, it felt a bit too long and the only thing that kept me watching was knowing this was a true story.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 132 of 194