Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iceman 5/10

'Biopic' about Richard Kuklinski, a contract killer for the mob, among others.
As usual, many facts wrong in comparison with the biography that I've read, but then, when did that ever matter to movie-makers Rolling Eyes
For one thing, it didn't really capture anywhere near how sick that fucker was, but I suppose you have to draw the line somewhere when it's for 'entertainment' purposes. Tying victims down over holes full of hungry rats then filming the results might not be something they want to encourage.
So, only 5/10 for that reason, despite the presence of Ray Liotta as the infamous Roy DeMeo, and don't know if it was just me, but I found the soundtrack very poor, could hardly make out what was being said half the time.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 03:05 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast and furious 8 - 5/10

The most realistic and original film of all time.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingsman 2 - 6/10

Not really that bad but nowhere near as good as the first.

Also it was highly politicised (multiple spoiler alert). Main baddie wants all drugs legalised for quite sensible reasons. The US president is a selfish, conniving bastard of a man whose support comes from a redneck sounding sidekick, and the end of the film talks quite openly of a new wonderful relationship between US and UK agencies, where the US provides lots of resources and the UK gets to carry on being spiffingly British. The dialogue was so blatant, at least to a Brit audience who don't need every detail to be dictated. Perhaps the yanks will receive it as intended.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Vincent 7/10

Bill Murray looking after a kid even though he is a gambling drunk qwho uses prostitute's

Has a stroke and slurs

Meant to be a comedy but is more a good film
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
Just watched Quadrophenia.

Dance!

It's basically a who's who of British actors when they were younger Smile I found it interesting seeing bits of London I recognised, even though they had changed a fair bit.

andyscooter wrote:
St Vincent 7/10

Bill Murray looking after a kid even though he is a gambling drunk qwho uses prostitute's

Has a stroke and slurs

Meant to be a comedy but is more a good film

Film4? Whistle They basically copied About a Boy. It had a few amusing moments but I struggled getting through the film. 4/10 from me.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a Boy - 2/10

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:26 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
The Snowman

Not the walking in the air one but the thriller by Jo Nesbo. Quite possible the worst film I have ever seen. I really like Michael Fassbender and also Val Kilmer, this was a real let down. In a word; Boring. I would not go and pay good money to see this at the movies. Maybe online or a rental if you must. 1/10 and that is being kind.

I enjoyed it more than you, but still was a let down.

What was the scariest part of this film? Val Kilmers face. Jesus Christ.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
About a Boy - 2/10

Is this a recent review? Tut Tut It had its moments, such as after finding the boys mum who tried to commit suicide, Hugh Grant goes:
"It was terrible! Terrible! But driving really fast behind the ambulance was fantastic!" Laughing

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:56 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thor: Ragnarok

Went to see this in 3D last night. I liked the first couple of Thor films, so expecttions were slightly high. What a brilliant film. I thin kthat the film could have been more colourful, but I was watching it in 3D and I've always found that the colours are muted. I saw the trailer in the lobby afterwards and it was in glorious technicolour.

Funnier than the last couple of films, The rock bloke thats in it is very funny. 8/10

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

American made 8/10
I didn't know the real story well( It's a story of Barry seal : pilot in US). Really enjoyed this film. It was different type of movie from I imagined. Not a difficult film.
And his wife was omg vvvery hot and cute (Sarah Wright) Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:17 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spider Man The One They Made in 2014. 5/10

That's what I imagine the full title is, including the rating.

Pros:
Not an origin story.
Doesn't take itself too seriously.
Does whatever a spider can.

Cons:
Creepy 30 year old pretending to be a high schooler is creepy.
Emma Stone looks like she's just come out of an all night script reading with Weinstein.
About an hour too long.

Well, mostly harmless, I guess.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Emma Stone looks like she's just come out of an all night script reading with Weinstein.

Too soon Tut Tut She looks better after a zombie apocalypse.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JIGSAW spoiler warning.

Another SAW film, about as watchable as the others. I guess the problem with these films are the fact that the premise is the same throughout. Various random people are pitted against each other in a macabre game of death. This was no different; it was an entertaining way to spend 90 minutes though.

The surprise this time though was the good detective that everyone was hoping to solve the new Jigsaw killings was actually the Jigsaw copy cat killer. The bulk of the film was a flashback to when John Kramer was still alive, so events were not current. Still a worthy watch. 7/10.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:46 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fantastic" Four (2015) 2/10

So, you cast a 28 year old as a high schooler, and a 31 year old as the high schooler's love interest. Thinking

Do you want paedophiles? Because that's how you get paedophiles.

Creepy casting aside, the film is total mince too. What did they think they were they making here? The first half of what should have been the runtime is like a bad mash-up of Half Life, GTA, Stargate and Scooby Doo.

What the rest of it might be like I'll never know, as I just gave up then, and had to go and shower to get the taste of nonce off of me.

Sort it out, Marvel, let's leave this sort of quality to DC.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelman

Frank Grillo plays the protagonist as a car driver on a mission. Most of the movie relies upon cell-phone dialogue between Grillo and callers; it's a thriller come action movie with a twist or two thrown in for good measure. No real complaints although I'd probably not watch it again, all the usual phone characters crop up; bitchy ex-wife, tantrum spewing teenage daughter, shouty hard man etc. A good car chase towards the end of the film, yep I'd say 6/10.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a binge today as I'm flipping back to day shift so need some mindless stimulus to keep me awake. Ratings based on entertainment, not philosophical value as I have no capacity at the minute.

Silly one - Princess Bride 10/10 - it's one of my childhood films, I'm biased, sue me but only after you rewatch it.

John Wick the second coming 7/10 - Really entertaining (didn't nod off) based on the dark underweb and honor system employed (interesting backstory) tied in with unrealistic but playing at realistic choreography that you could almost believe it possible for an exceptional individual. Brilliant slugfest and women are not treated in a sexist manner.

Fast and the furious a billionth and ninety 5/10 - Distinctly average. The acting is as you would expect, the effects are up there, it is the unbelievable factor that wrecks it for me. If like me within ten minutes you are saying "hang on a sec that isn't right" in your head, it might not tickle your fancy. Far too many instances of suspending disbelief.

Wonder woman 7/10 - Rather enjoyed this and not a complete Mary Sue. Even had a bit of naive charm built into the character as well as determined bravery. My only real complaint was the Mary Sue bit at the end where she vanquished her godly enemy rather easily on some innate power discovery rather than some challenging development, a bit like the young lady in the new star wars. Not an ideal superhero ending but overall she was a badass and a good waste of time.

Rogerborg wrote:
"Fantastic" Four (2015) 2/10

Was frikkin one of the worst mainstream films I have seen.

Last edited by Sload on 09:10 - 28 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Town - 6/10
Written and directed by Ben Afleck, Boston crew takes medium-large scores with precision, just as Afleck trys to go clean because he falls in love.

The whole thing comes across as Afleck stroking his ego. If I was 17 I'd have enjoyed it more.
That said, it's not terrible, got a little warmth in places and the characters are well acted.

The Take (or Bastille Day on IMDB) - 6.5/10
Idris Elba as a CIA operative takes on terrorists in France.
Not sure why I liked it exactly, its different enough to keep interest but its not unmissable. On the whole, liked it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Eyez on me 4/10 - second attempt watching this, the first time I bailed because it was all civil rights BS, which unless I'm very much mistaken isn't what rap was all about Eh?

Anyhoo, the film did carry on in the same vein, but my rating's mainly down to it not being a very good movie. I found the NWA movie a lot more enjoyable (better acting etc.) and I don't even like their music, when I do 2Pacs although it probably didn't help I already knew a lot of the story. However like Straight Outta Compton it's their version of events.

Parkland 4/10 - story of the Zapruder film (Kennedy assassination) and the aftermath of the shooting. A fairly forgettable film, except for [spoiler] Kennedy's blood splattering all over the place whilst they tried to save his life.

I also tried to watch Jackie but Natalie Portman's portrayal was so f'ing annoying I had to turn it off.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade Runner 2049 8/10
I liked 1982 one, and I like this one too.
Ryan Gosling's acting was cool. Car(Spinner) was cool. Ana de Armas was cute. Sylvia Hoeks was cool, cute, and had nice hairstyle. Scenery/Picture was beautiful. This isn't a film full of fighting action. I admit this film is long, but it is good because it wasn't cut into short one.
I will go to theatre few more times cause I want to watch this film on a large screen and big speakers.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:52 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade Runner 2049

8/10

Not as good as the first one. As a standalone film, it's epic and so atmospheric, I could have sat through hours and not been bored.

However, a good sci-fi it most certainly is not. At least not on par with the original. The script lets it down immensely. It seems to have gone the 'American' way, where everything is mostly dictated to you, with a sudden plot twist to make you think, "Oh my gawwwwd I did nawt see that coming!". There's nothing sci-fi-esque in anything the people say, apart from one line near the end where **SPOILER ALERT** the woman (replicant) beats K in a fight and says something like, "I'm the best" - a clear sign of androids starting to have the same drive for dominance that humans do **END OF SPOILER**

- aside from that, it's just a very (very very) atmospheric detective film set in the future.

Not a single "teardrops in the rain" moment, that's for sure.

But anyway, very well made, would watch again.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:43 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday night was date night, so...

Happy Death Day

I'd seen a bit of a trailer for this floating about, and then again when I was listening to an interview with Jason Blum (Blumhouse Productions - Annabelle, Creation, The Visit etc) who was explaining the plot. Shot on a low budget (but it looks brilliant), sort of a cross of Groundhog Day and Scream. Top notch, and better because I expected a 6/10. Solid 8.5/10

After that, we grabbed a takeaway and went home. We started watching:

Live By Night

Ben Affleck stars as an irish gangster who doesn't want to be a gangster. After revenge from an irish mob boss, he helps the italian mob set up rum speakeasies in Florida. Decent enough, looks good, the script is a bit flimsy in parts, but a good story and decent acting. 7/10

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:41 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
The Town - 6/10
Written and directed by Ben Afleck, Boston crew takes medium-large scores with precision, just as Afleck trys to go clean because he falls in love.

The whole thing comes across as Afleck stroking his ego. If I was 17 I'd have enjoyed it more.
That said, it's not terrible, got a little warmth in places and the characters are well acted.

I'd say a 7/10, it's a solid film and quite believable too. The gun fights are very well done as well, seen it a couple of times.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Wheelman

Frank Grillo plays the protagonist as a car driver on a mission. Most of the movie relies upon cell-phone dialogue between Grillo and callers; it's a thriller come action movie with a twist or two thrown in for good measure. No real complaints although I'd probably not watch it again, all the usual phone characters crop up; bitchy ex-wife, tantrum spewing teenage daughter, shouty hard man etc. A good car chase towards the end of the film, yep I'd say 6/10.

Good cinematography, and better than the (original) transporter*, baby driver etc. Kinda similar to Locke actually with it all being set in a car, but a bit more excitement. I enjoyed it but the ending was a bit bland. A 5.5/10 from me.

*tried to watch the new (2015) Transporter movie, had to turn it off after 20 minutes.

My Scientology Movie 4.5/10 - Louis Theroux explores Scientology with no access, and his main whistleblower goes full on rage face whenever asked one of his trademark difficult questions. Can't say I learnt anything more about Scientology from this (weird cult - Tom Cruise etc...), although I still find it amusing how people get so upset over the 'church' when it's exactly like every other 'religion', except at least you know who wrote the sodding book.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you see me 6/10

Watchable, Isla Fischer is hot, story was ok with a decent twist.

Now you see me 2 4/10

Meh!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 135 of 194