Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:51 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the cinema after work on Monday and watched:

Geostorm

Big budget disaster movie. Some good names in there, and Gerard Butler. Bad acting / script etc. Absolute bobbins. I watched it, so you don't have to Smile
3/10

Then, last night, I introduced the boy to:

The Shining.

I don't class this as a horror, more psychological thriller. Still, amazing film with so much going on in the background that you don't take it all in on the first viewing. 8.5/10

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creed 6/10 - better than I was expecting. I barely remember the original films and there are lots of references to them, and it's a bit odd how they have real fighters such as Tony Bellew, playing a major role as well. Good but not great.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about watching "Red 2" tonight, but wait a minute...4 feckin hours long?! Shocked Can any movie that long out of Hollywood be worth sitting through? I have my doubts, and anyway, not sure I want to sit through any 4 hour movie in one hit.

Edit: correction, four and a half hours long! Pale

While I'm thinking about movies, I watched Deliver Us From Evil a couple of nights ago. I'm not really big on horror movies, especially demon possession ones, but I actually thought this deserved a 7/10. Probably more cos I rate Eric Bana's acting, as I've liked his performances in a number of movies now.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I was thinking about watching "Red 2" tonight, but wait a minute...4 feckin hours long?! Shocked Can any movie that long out of Hollywood be worth sitting through? I have my doubts, and anyway, not sure I want to sit through any 4 hour movie in one hit.

Error on the freeview listings, it's 116mins.

Terminator Genisys 4/10 - boring convoluted mess of a film trying to rewrite the franchise so they can eke out another movie. Only good thing about it was the fit girl from Game of Thrones, and an occasional bit of cleavage.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Error on the freeview listings, it's 116mins.

Ta Thumbs Up Settling down for it now.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is your death

Quite a peculiar film, interesting premise and some good actors starring. An unsettling look at reality T.V. where a disturbing hit game show has its contestants ending their lives for the public's enjoyment. On Youtube it's tagged under The Show. James Franco and Famke Janssen star, it's a film you will probably watch again.

It is gruesome and messes with your head a bit. A worthy watch. 9/10.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Red 2

It was ok, a reasonably entertaining romp, killed an evening for me. It did seem a bit long for it's type. 6/10

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 hours to live.

The new vehicle to showcase Ethan Hawke's acting skills. Not a bad film by all accounts, if you named it John Wick 3 it probably wouldn't be too far from the truth. Lots of people get filled with lead, a couple of good car chases and lots of guns. Ethan Hawke nearly manages a passable Keanu Reeves; but just falls short. A one time only watchable 90 minute flick. 7/10

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy 4.25/10 Smile Weird Māori/New Zealand thing. It had a few funny moments, similarities with Napoleon Dynamite whilst being a bit darker.

Atari: game over 4.5/10 - a little bit about Atari, mainly about digging up rubbish at landfill.

American Ultra 4.5/10 - Twilight girl and Mark Zuckerberg in a CIA sleeper agent... yeah it's pretty stupid. A few funny moments but it felt like most of those were the same joke.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wick 2 - I'll give it 6.5 testosterones out of 10

I really love these films. This one wasn't quite as good as the first but it doesn't try to be anything but an assassin on a vengeance. Choreography is on point.

Fun and violent with quite a few nods to the Matrix. Even Lawrence Fishburn makes an appearance. It pleased me greatly.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 00:41 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind River - 7/10

Thought this was going to be boring and shit but was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I didn't really rate Jeremy Renner too much until I saw this and there's that 3rd Olsen chick who's pretty hot.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:04 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
there's that 3rd Olsen chick who's pretty hot.

The least crazy Olsen. Needs to eat a sammich though.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rise of the footsoldier 3

A story about the lovable rogue Pat Tate. Better than the first film and a lot better than part 2, Brit gangsta film leading up to the inevitable Range Rover shootings that rocked Essex back in 1995. Loud, sweary and plenty of "whatjadoooooin" lingo-esque. Won't win any awards but entertaining whilst it lasts. 7/10

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lookout 7/10

Simple bank job plot, but I thought good performances from all concerned.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man from U.N.C.L.E (2015) - 7/10

Instantly forgettable, but entertaining enough.

Started off badly with drifting and doughnutting Trabants at what appeared to be 150mph. But it got better.

Nearly every single frame of the movie could be printed out as a still and hung on the wall. Excellent work from Guy Ritchie.
Cast were pretty solid too.

EDIT:
Was surprised to see Goodwood racetrack for a 10 min section. Supposedly Italy. Nice surprise to see somewhere I recognise well.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:58 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atomic Blonde 7.8/10

Not too in-depth a plot; but sold as an action film and on this it hits way above it's weight - or at least above what I was expecting.
For the most part; a lot better choreographed as far as 'real world' action goes, compared to the the rest of the genre.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did I watch tonight? Oh yeah, "The Heist", with Gene Hackman and Danny DeVito. Again, solid performances, quite enjoyed it. I'll give it 7/10 again, but I'm not really that particular on my scores. Maybe I'm too generous. Anyway, worth watching, I thought.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:47 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Huh, I thought it was tedious and dire. All the basic elements were there, but they forgot to sprinkle any fun on top. Even when they tried some levity, the cast wasn't up for it.

The best I could say is that the eye candy was anorexic enough for the 60's.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Founder 5/10
This film is made so that all audiences hate Ray Kroc. And it's successful to that point. I like this type of film though.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:24 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Started off badly with drifting and doughnutting Trabants at what appeared to be 150mph. But it got better.

Nearly every single frame of the movie could be printed out as a still and hung on the wall. Excellent work from Guy Ritchie.
Cast were pretty solid too.

EDIT:
Was surprised to see Goodwood racetrack for a 10 min section. Supposedly Italy. Nice surprise to see somewhere I recognise well.

I felt like it was let down massively by Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer being as wooden as a wooden rocking horse that has been placed in a wooden crate in the middle of a wood.

It could have been a good movie, and I'm not really sure why people keep employing Cavill, apart from because of his square jaw and six pack. He's not a great actor.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:50 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overdrive 2.8/10

How not to do an action film - punching way below it's weight and pretty terrible at that 'real world' action. Pretty sure it was written by Jeremy Clarkson.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give it 2.73 tbh.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Huh, I thought it was tedious and dire. All the basic elements were there, but they forgot to sprinkle any fun on top. Even when they tried some levity, the cast wasn't up for it.

Fair do's. I thought it had just about the right amount of cheese to be fun and not cross the line into Austin Powers / Jonny English.

I might have to start adding a "volume of wine consumed" addition to my film ratings in the interest of full disclosure Smile

MarJay wrote:

It could have been a good movie, and I'm not really sure why people keep employing Cavill, apart from because of his square jaw and six pack. He's not a great actor.

I thought he played it well, nonchalant rather than wooden. Hammer on the other hand.....I can't say anything positive.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:31 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assassins Creed.

You know when you are looking at a list of films, and some get bunched together in genre? This was on a screen with Doom and Streetfighter: The Movie. I've not played the game massively, but the first hour or so of the game is pretty much represented here. Fassbender manages to be in a fairly ropey film and still come out with dignity, Marion Cotillard does a decent job and Jeremy Irons is Jeremy Irons, with extra pronunication, dear fellow.
I'd have liked to have seen more from the others in the facility but seeing as there is an origins film coming soon, I'm sure that will be seen to. Anyway, not bad and it is towards the top of the Video Game adaptations list. 7/10

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:46 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: The Humanity Bureau Reply with quote

The Humanity Bureau

Starring Nicolas Cage....... I say "starring", hardly a stellar perfomance

brief synopsis.....
Under-productive citizens ( ya know the type, single mums, the unemployed, old people) are rooted out on behalf of the government by a private company (G4S?) to be re-located in "New Eden"
Spoiler..... New Eden is a death camp

Great premis for a film, sadly let down by the imagination of the director, screenplay, dialogue,everything....
3/10
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 136 of 194