Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:55 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the family to watch Paddington 2 on Sunday night.

The first film was surprisingly lovely. A lot of heart and a good story.
The second film was more of the same. A few plot holes aside, it was a good way to spend a few hours in the cinema.

Last night, at my sons behest, we went and watched Daddys Home 2.
Anyone who saw the first pretty much knows that everything that needed to be said was said in the first film.
This was 100 minutes of festering, rancid pigshite. I didn't laugh once. The trailer is pretty much the film, and there are massive bits stolen from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Also, Mel Gibson is meant to be "Beautiful". He looks like he should be on "To Catch A Predator", with manic eyes and a grey "Blanka from Street Fighter" hairdo.

Don't do it. Don't watch this film. All those times where you said "I'd rather dip my penis in boiling bleach" or equivalent - now is the time where those things would actually be more attractive things to do.

-5 / 10 That's 100 minutes I'm never getting back

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:

The second film was more of the same. A few plot holes aside, it was a good way to spend a few hours in the cinema.

One of my pleasant surprises. I thought they'd muller Paddington but it was a good film, only thing I didn't like was the annoying way he said London. I'll watch the second when it filters onto a streaming service Thumbs Up

CBFcarl wrote:
Daddys Home 2... The trailer is pretty much the film

So like the first one then? Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:42 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Daddys Home 2. [...] The trailer is pretty much the film

I'd assumed the content from the poster.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Foreigner
A mental Jackie Chan/Pierce Brosnan terrorist film. Brosnan has let him self go a bit or chunked up for the part. Set and filmed in London, plenty of 'I know her' or 'I know him' from.. as a lot of Brit bit part actors. Dare to say the film has a lot of racist overtones, never made the cinema over here but available from usual places with HC subs. 9/10

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:13 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
CBFcarl wrote:

One of my pleasant surprises. I thought they'd muller Paddington but it was a good film, only thing I didn't like was the annoying way he said London. I'll watch the second when it filters onto a streaming service Thumbs Up

CBFcarl wrote:
Daddys Home 2... The trailer is pretty much the film

So like the first one then? Smile

Worse.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:14 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
CBFcarl wrote:
Daddys Home 2. [...] The trailer is pretty much the film

I'd assumed the content from the poster.

Don't judge a god-awful shit-abortion by its merely wanky jeb-end poster, as the saying goes. Because it is much worse than that.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:45 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

City of God - 8/10

Tired of watching Hollywood crap.

Found this under "critically acclaimed" on Netflix

nicely surprised.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
City of God - 8/10

nicely surprised.

Watched when it came out* and I gotta be honest never quite understood the hype.

*christ was it really 15 years ago Crying or Very sad

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:50 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
AshWebster wrote:
City of God - 8/10

nicely surprised.

Watched when it came out* and I gotta be honest never quite understood the hype.

*christ was it really 15 years ago Crying or Very sad

It's why i dont listen/read/take in the hype. I prefer to go into a movie with no preconception of either its storyline (if not obvious) or its cast or anything really.

Weirdly i went to see Avatar in the cinema when it came out. Again i was nicely surprised. Only after did my mates go "Ash you do realise this film was hyped up for years etc etc"

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:21 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coco - 4/10

Been going to the cinema a lot recently, just for the hell of it.

Coco is a kid's movie made by the folk who did Toy Story. I watched a trailer and decided quickly that it was a load of socially ideological nonsense aimed directly at Donald Trump's wall. User reivews on IMDB however said it really is a good film, so I decided to withhold my doubts.

After watching it, I can say that it definitely is a load of socially ideological nonsense aimed directly at Donald Trump's wall.

The story is about a n American Mexican kid in a Mexican family in Mexico celebrating the Mexican version of christmas (something to do with celebrating the dead), where the kid wants to be an individualist and make a name for himself (i.e. fulfil the 'American Dream') who runs away to do it, only to discover his Mexican family, Mexican life and Mexican culture were what he really needed all along. Three cheers for Mexico and its wonderful people, The End.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe House - 6/10 + 1 bottle Grenache, Syrah + Carignan £6 Sainsburys.

Rookie CIA agent Ryan Reynolds is ambitious, but stuck looking after an empty safe house. Up until Denzel Washington turns up and adds some excitement.

By the numbers cliche starts poorly, limp acting and drivel dialogue.
Casting is ok. Denzel does creepy, excitable calm perfectly. Because he is. Reynolds does "I'm outta my depth" perfectly, because he is.

The big reveal moment was weak.

I would say 4/10, but Denzel bangs in some brilliant scenes here and there to raise it to 6.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:06 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working my way through films that have been recorded and forgotten on the Sky Box.

This weekend I have watched:

Dog Soldiers.

One of the best british horror / comedies of the last 20 years.
Really funny, well written and despite the tiny budget, a great romp.

8/10

Severance

Danny Dyer on a work team bonding exercise, working for a weapons manufacturer. Quite funny, very dark and worth a watch.

7.5/10

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:

Dog Soldiers.

8/10

+1 Not seen it in 10-12 years, but one of a handful of films I've watched more than once.

Not sure if I want to watch it again, just in case I now think its crap though.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:53 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
CBFcarl wrote:

Dog Soldiers.

8/10

+1 Not seen it in 10-12 years, but one of a handful of films I've watched more than once.

Not sure if I want to watch it again, just in case I now think its crap though.

Nah dude - it stands up. I've actually got it on DVD as part of a box set, but I was just flicking through the recordings on the Sky box and I'd recorded it on Film4 or summat a while ago.

TBF - I was half watching it to see if it was suitable for my 15 year old (almost) to watch as he seems to want to watch horrors at the minute. I think he can watch it.

Yesterday I was flicking through Now TV and saw something that I'd never seen before:

Money Train

I was never really a Wesley Snipes fan, except maybe Passenger 57, I do love some Woody Harrelson though. Enjoyable film, if not a bit generic. The bad guy is a massive caricature. JLo does what she does, but not as good as she did it in Out Of Sight.

7/10, Would watch again.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
been recorded and forgotten on the Sky Box.

Dog Soldiers.

Brilliant film, watched it 6 or 7 times to date. Lots of cheesy moments but a worthwhile watch, they were going to do a sequel, wished that would have come to fruition.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
I was half watching it to see if it was suitable for my 15 year old (almost) to watch as he seems to want to watch horrors at the minute. I think he can watch it.

What's the difference between a 15 and 18 (certificate), whether or not blood squirts out when someone dies?

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
CBFcarl wrote:
I was half watching it to see if it was suitable for my 15 year old (almost) to watch as he seems to want to watch horrors at the minute. I think he can watch it.

What's the difference between a 15 and 18 (certificate), whether or not blood squirts out when someone dies?

More importantly, how have you guided a child to nearly 15 years of age without breaking them?

Mine broke around the age of 12 when a friend brought Texas Chainsaw Massacre to a sleepover.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:59 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
TBF - I was half watching it to see if it was suitable for my 15 year old (almost) to watch as he seems to want to watch horrors at the minute. I think he can watch it.

He is 15. You'd be surprised as to what he's seen so far... I've seen what 12-16 year olds are up to these days and its really not pleasant... so I'd imagine him watching a full blown decapitation whilst someone wanks furiously wouldn't even make him bat an eyelid. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:49 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full retail 1080p bluray of Dunkirk has been out a couple days but waiting for 4K HDR on 18th December Laughing Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Full retail 1080p bluray of Dunkirk has been out a couple days but waiting for 4K HDR on 18th December Laughing Laughing

Sleeping Gave it another go having turned it off before, just about resisted turning it off again. It's slow, jumps all over the place with storylines that eventually converge in unspectacular fashion. 3/10. Another popular film I don't really get Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Project X film again the other night.

I really like it, and side with the minority of film critics that liken it to the millennials Animal House, mostly it got panned and rated poorly.

Even though I couldn't help think of parts of it as The Burbs for some reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:48 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

I really like it, and side with the minority of film critics that liken it to the millennials Animal House, mostly it got panned and rated poorly.

I remember it being ok. 21 and over's another one critics seemed to hate but I found rather funny.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

I remember it being ok. 21 and over's another one critics seemed to hate but I found rather funny.

just read the synopsis, yeah I've seen it didn't remember the title, I liked that too:up:

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw Ridge. 10/10

Not much to say about it really, from start to finish it was a fantastic movie, Acting, scripting and directing. Fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 04:12 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Jayy wrote:

Sleeping Gave it another go having turned it off before, just about resisted turning it off again. It's slow, jumps all over the place with storylines that eventually converge in unspectacular fashion. 3/10. Another popular film I don't really get Laughing

How dare you take Nolan's name and blaspheme like that. You sound like my dad, could put the most unreal amazing film on (not saying Dunkirk) and he'd go, "That was shit".
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 138 of 194