Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:31 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
In fact, I can quote huge tracts of the script with my eyes closed, same as Dude Where's My Car?

Sweet.....

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Don't worry no spoilers. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't shout off of the rooftops good either. There were some weird unanswered questions, that may be from lazy writing rather than a planned story. It was entertaining though, and had some of the best action from any Star Wars movie.

I'd give it 7/10.

I quite enjoyed this and would give it a 7 too. They could have got an 8 out of me if it wasn't for the constant flogging of merchandise (new furry cute things in many scenes - very disney)

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Don't worry no spoilers. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't shout off of the rooftops good either. There were some weird unanswered questions, that may be from lazy writing rather than a planned story. It was entertaining though, and had some of the best action from any Star Wars movie.

I'd give it 7/10.

I quite enjoyed this and would give it a 7 too. They could have got an 8 out of me if it wasn't for the constant flogging of merchandise (new furry cute things in many scenes - very disney)

The Disney merchandise is just so realistic:
https://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/DisneyStoreES/412305569920?$yetidetail$&defaultImage=no%20image-image_uk

It was definitely watchable but it's moving away from the George Lucas feel.

It easily could have had half an hour cut from it.

7/10

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maze

Based on the true story of the Maze prison breakout of 1983. A very interesting film, no big special effects, no big names actors, just a simple tale of prison escape. A film I would watch again, thought provoking at the very least. 8/10.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:00 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright [Netflix] 3/10

Oh, I get it, it's a buddy cop movie, only in a shocking twist which we've never seen before Alien Nation Wil Smith's parker is a alien orc.

Orc diversity targets, aaah, da orcs are considered to be stupid subhumans who are inherently criminal and gang minded, while elves swan around in Ferraris buying designer clothes.

Look at all the institutional tuskish racism and pointy privilege. Wow, those white cops are beating down a orc who doubtless dindu nuffin. It's almost like a metaphor for sumtin. Orc bluds can't catch no break.

Ow. Stop. Beating. Me. Wit. The. Metaphor.

What on Middle Earth was Smith thinking? Netflix obviously wanted a Name, but they likely spunked too much of the estimated $90 million budget (wut?) on his fee, and on getting the director of Suicide Squad (lulz).

I get what they were trying for, but it's a pedestrian effort by all concerned. It just feels made-for-TV, clumsy, and old fashioned.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mephisto Waltz : 8/10
1971 Alan Alda, a washed up would-be concert pianist grubbing it as a music journalist becomes involved with a famous concert pianist played by Kurt Jurgens and Kurts creepy daughter. Jacqueline Bisset is Aldas wife who gets increasingly disturbed by Aldas growing obsession with his new friend and the daughter.

A classic 70s horror movie with great performances and nit well known. I read the book many years ago and that was good as well. Its on Amazon Prime im not sure if available on Netflix.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:58 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Watches shite on Netflix, turns out to be shite.

Would you have otherwise sought out the film?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:09 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Watches shite on Netflix, turns out to be shite.

Would you have otherwise sought out the film?

I would otherwise not have known about it, and been better off.

Netflix are convinced that their path to glory is creating and promoting their own original content rather than buying it in. However, if they're going to flush close to 9 figures on a "feature" film then they should really try to come up with something original where the budget makes it to the screen.

Well, never say I won't take one for the BCF team:

5th Wave [Netflix] 0.5/10

I was fooled by the promo poster and Chloƫ Grace Moretz's plump and now totally legal lip, which does get chewed slightly.

Urgh, it's not really an alien invasion flick, it's sub-Divergent teen angst piece, oh allah, the first of a trilogy "that should do for aliens what Twilight did for vampires." Pale

This is a cosmetics and hair products apocalypse. The plot quickly schisms, Moretz is only in half of it, and she's the only watchable thing on screen. So while I'd definitely give her one, I'd give this mess a miss.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Snowman 4/10

Not the walking through the air one, this one (2017) is a mummy-didn't-love-me serial killer romp set in in Norway. A really good cast, Michael Fassbender, Charlotte Gainsborg, Toby Jones to name but three.

Fantastic scenery and a promising MO for the killer using some sort of scary amputating device.

However, it's terrible. Plot falls apart and develops holes from the start.

Left me disappointed but wanting to visit Norway.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I would otherwise not have known about it, and been better off.

Netflix are convinced that their path to glory is creating and promoting their own original content rather than buying it in.

That's why I prefer Prime, they regularly add big name movies, I mean I've already watched most of them on Kodi but I appreciate they're there.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:54 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 6/10

It's the best Star Wars film out of the 8 for me so far.
The really really really really really stupid decisions just to move the movie forward bothered me, but what did I really expect from Star Wars.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Circle - 7.5/10

Film about a massive social network super-company called 'The Circle' with a cliquey, cult-like campus in silicon valley. Attempts to show the potentially darker side of the super-connected, ultra-open, zero-privacy, everybody-should-be-online world that some social media gurus may claim is the future of humanity.

Emma Watson and John Boyega feature with American accents. Tom Hanks does well as the creepy-enthusiastic boss of the business.

Quite an interesting film. Worth a watch, but probably not worth a second watch.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 25 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingsman: The Golden Circle 4/10... and I'm probably being generous. Crap CGI, crap story, it went for cheap laughs which occasionally worked hence the rating. Compared to the first it's awful.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 25 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Out - 3.5/10 it's the guy from a Black Mirror episode, with a Black Mirror-esque story, but they decided to make it all about race, something they even acknowledge in the film to be superfluous. Funnily enough they stuck in a stereotypical black friend who was actually the highlight of the whole thing. I'd say don't waste your time but people seem to be lapping it up Neutral

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 25 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 6/10 - No spoilers

I'd say 6/10 for a film to go and see in the cinema, but a 5/10 for plot, and my expectations based on the previous film.

If you're a star wars fan, there's a fair few "what?" moments, as well as moments that make it feel like one of the prequels. By that I don't mean unexpected things, just things happening that seem out of place. Also a fair couple of sections where the film feels like it's dragging on.

Actually the worst thing was they tried to make these daft jokes during the film, that were completely out of place. These made it feel like a shitty spaceballs.

Still definitely worth going to see. I think my expectations were too high tbh. I really enjoyed episode 7.

EDIT: on second thoughts, it was worse than I remember.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 25 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - 5/10 (7.2/10 on IMDb)

This was a action film where Vince Vaughn deals drugs and something goes wrong, so he ends up in the prison. While being in prison someone kidnaps his pregnant wife and wants Vaughn to kill an inmate in a completele different prison facility, or they'll going to SPOILER: cut two limbs off his unborn child and leave the rest there to be born; or even cut some blood vessels, so his wife will carry the child the whole 9 months and then give birth to a stillborn,....

So, in order to protect his wife, he gets to that other prison facility and does what he's supposed to, eventually. The way how he gets there though, heh, well, Hollywood.

The whole film you're going to question the film maker's decisions. For starters, Vince Vaughn is bald with a cross on the back of his head, playing a good guy? Then the action scenes are just amusing, you won't really take his character seriously, after all he was a alright comedian. Right in the begining he SPOILER: smashes his wife's car, with bare hands, including smashing the headlights and ripping out the light bulbs and ripping off the bonet and tossing it. That's not the most fecked up thing in the whole film.

I only watched it till the end because of the action stunts and practical effects. The whole thing felt like the 80's, early 90's ''straight to the VHS'' action films. It was a good B movie. After all, there were even more idiotic action film plots in the 80's/90's with far better paid actors and those were block buster films.

Summary,
It was over 2 hours long, there was quite a lot of violence, very graphic, all practical effects (good) and that's that. Nothing you should watch with your children and also nothing that you'd watch for the story telling.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 26 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Made 4/10 - getting a bit sick of these ooh look crime, look money type films, and this one loosely based on real events is one of the more forgettable ones.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:21 - 26 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
American Made

American MAID. Hand

Bushwick -25/10

Spoilers, so that you don't make my mistake.

The premise: the South has risen again because Trump. No, I swear to allah, I wish I was making that up, but I am not. This is a real plot that actual Murcans were compelled to write and film because Hitlery was cheated out of Her rightful throne.

Missy McMidwest, who we inadvertently establish at 2 minutes in is a horrible, horrible human being, must travel through Grand Theft Auto IV in order to meh the blah for whatevs. And Missy is like? You know? Totally from New York? And junk? And not, like, ewwww, the Valley?

Missy is aided in her quest by Grunt Hulkworthy who is mostly white, and her slutty stoner sister who is inexplicably a bit less white and a lot more Nuw Yoik, and hampered by variously thuggish, murdery and rapey non whites, but that's all good because ethnodiversity is our strength.

These are actual words from the actual film that real people went out and genuinely made.

They made it in one 90 minute "scene" by dint of careful cutting while zoomed in on stairs and brickwork, a genius trick that never gets old even after it's been used again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and Children of Man it ain't.

I honestly don't even. Whatever they were trying to do, I stopped caring with 30 minutes to go and just ragequit. For ethnodiversity.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

23 with Jim Carrey

It really is truly awful. Laughing

It's like the movie makers watched Angel Heart, and Pi the movie, and decided to combine some of those elements whilst attempting to make the crappiest film that they could.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddington 2

The wife wanted to see this (honest). I tagged along, it wasn't all kids in the cinema it was young couples/old folk as well. All in all an enjoyable film, well acted, well scripted and the time flew by, would definitely watch again or buy the dvd. 9/10.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:21 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar Slitherin and the Deathly Dull Tale. 3/10

Essentially a clip show from the previous eleventy films. Zombie pirates? No, they're ghosts? But they have zombie sharks. And there's a Magical McGuffin and some big set piece run-jump scenes based on the Lego game and... why? Just why?

Was it even written by a native English speaker? "This is treason!"

Err... sea treason, see. We should have a word for that. Muttony!

Hammy performances all round, everyone's just there to pick up their 30 pieces of eight. Let it rot in pieces.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Flag Flying. 9/10. It has the lead guy from Breaking Bad in it. Quality movie. Thumbs Up

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:52 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Christmas.

Not bad, as far as Christmas films go. But, it is still a Christmas film. 6/10

Pitch Perfect 3.

Me and the Mrs enjoyed the first 2, and this was more of the same, but more watered down. Not bad, but it won't be topping anyones Film of the Year lists. 6/10

Die Hard

In my top three Christmas films (I don't care what you say. Bing f'kin Crosby is on the soundtrack, there is a Christmas Party, there are Santa hats), and still stands up. Sooooo so good. 9/10

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Wossname
It was okay.
Only the second HP film I've watched in 10 years and even then, because Christmas telly fodder.

Might watch the other eleventy million.
Might not.
But only cos I have a girl crush on Helena Bonham Carter... Shifty

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Pitch Perfect

One of my guilty pleasures, along with Magic Mike Embarassed

hellkat wrote:
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Wossname
It was okay.
Only the second HP film I've watched in 10 years and even then, because Christmas telly fodder.

Part of the reason I don't like Harry Potter, I never know where it fits into the f'ing franchise, why can't they be called Harry Potter 3: first wank over Hermione etc. Rolling Eyes The other reason is that it's regurgitated shite.

Speaking of which, what follows is a review for a Zac Efron move Eh? I got lured into it with the motor racing element and the trailer which made it look more in-depth than you'd expect...

At Any Price 3.5/10 - its got the mum from fear the walking dead, a few years before the show but massively more attractive Shocked, and Heather Graham (ginger from Scrubs) Wub Oh right the story, corn farmer thing with a small element of motor racing. It introduces lots of ideas, doesn't run with a lot of them, concludes none of them. In itself that's odd for an American film, to leave things hanging.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 141 of 194