Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days if a movie is sci-fi then its automatically just a setup for a sequel.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddington 2 6/10

Scored purely on how much I didn't laugh aloud, compared to the first o e. Id give first 8 / 10.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing ground 2016

6/10

Australian film about two nutters raping and killing people

I really enjoyed it

More so as wife buggered off so I could watch it in piece
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
Three Billboards 8/10. The typical post-modern movie-literature anti-climatic ending but the characterization and acting were stellar.

Turned it off after 30 mins, should I have given it longer Thinking

So I did give it longer. It got better, the main thing I liked was the dialogue, with everyone being c**ts to each other. Why does it take a 'dark' comedy for a film to have realistic interactions? However the film muddled its way through a mediocre story interjected by occasional good bits. 5/10 from me.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle 6/10 - I wasn't even going to watched this, scared that Hollywood would ruin my (probably rose-tinted) memories of the original, but BCF persuaded me and I'm glad I did Thumbs Up The changes (from the original) were well done, there was some genuinely funny bits, and I think the casting was pretty much spot on, well except for throwing in a 30 year old high school student (when the others were near enough school age).

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:59 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Into the Wild - 6/10

I'd rate it higher but the whole story screamed of naivety. No wonder he died so young.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:25 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mollys Game

Jessica Chastain plays Molly Bloom, an ex-olympic skier who, after an accident, starts working in an office and gets asked to arrange a poker game. From there, she starts to build some of the biggest private poker games in the world until the FBI close her down, take her money and begin an investigation into the Russian mob.
Not as action packed as I was expecting, but it was a great story told well. Michael Cera plays a douche character whose name (allegedly) rhymes with Mobey Taguire in real life. I enjoyed it, although Idris Elbas american accent seems to be making up for Dick Van Dykes effort in Mary Poppins.

8/10

Dazed and Confused

Not a bad film. Not much happens, but everyone involved pulls a good shift. Young Ben Affleck appears as well. Worth a watch, but don't expect much to happen.

7/10

Patti Cake$

Imagine 8 mile but with a rotund New Jersey girl, and you have Patti Cake$. The trailer looked really good, so watched it and really enjoyed it. Even the rap parts are done really well.

8/10

The Disaster Artist

If you have seen "The Room", this is the story of how it was made, based on the book by Greg Sistero (who also co-starred in the film). I loved the book, and this film is getting big oscar buzz so gave it a try. Not bad, but I don't think it deserves any Oscars. Remember, you never go full Tommy Wiseau.

7/10

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Snowman (2017) 5/10

Meh - below par Scandinavian murder thingy

I'm not saying it's bad, it felt like an average 2hr Sunday Evening murder mystery detective type show, like a mid season slump episode.

It was less than the sum of its parts. Okay, just about worth a watch, but really nothing special. The landscapes and bleakness etc are all there, but, just didn't do it.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember 'The Man From Earth'? An awesome movie, cult following blah blah. They tried to get funding through kickstarter to make the sequel but there must have been too many potato fucking salad recipes up at the time, draining peoples wallets.

Anyway, they did it! It's out on torrent now, 'The Man From Earth: Holocene'.

I actually donated $10 to them after blagging the first one (somebody leaked it before it could be distributed and royally fucked them) but it looks like they've deliberately put this one out for free.

Double-movie night tonight. Bounce!

Last edited by Hetzer on 20:43 - 17 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:47 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to be a Latin Lover

Gently comedy about a toyboy who gets dumped after 25 years for a younger model. Salma Hayek plays the dudes sister. it's a decent film with a nice end (just like Salma Hayek).

7/10

The Blues Brothers

Been listening to the soundtrack recently, so decided to watch this again. Nigh-on perfect film. Funny, looks good, amazing soundtrack. If you haven't seen it, watch it.

9/10

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing ground 2016

Billed as ,an Australian horror but was more like a thriller

People go camping get raped and killed
Others find murder scene and end up killing the killers

Kept me watching till half one the other morning

6/10

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Killing ground 2016

6/10

Australian film about two nutters raping and killing people

I really enjoyed it

More so as wife buggered off so I could watch it in piece

Déjá vu

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day of the Dead: Bloodlines 3/10

I've seen most of the old school zombie movies, and am reasonably up to date with the more modern ones.

I quite liked Day of the Dead 2008, which showed zombies having intelligence. I was rather hoping this would build on that, even if only through an overarching plot, maybe carrying on the awareness thing in a different location. But alas, no, just a standalone remake of sorts it seems

This, Bloodlines, takes a few bits from Romero's original film, and buggers them up. Bubba is there in the form of a sentinent zombie, there is an eejit solider in charge.

but nothing really works

It's like a feature length tv episode, cross between Z nation and Walking Dead, which seem to have had more influence than Romeros' films.

It's watchable for what it is, but give me the old school rubbish Video Dead or Return of the Living Dead part 2 for example over this TBH

to sum it up, the best thing about the film, is the end credits, as there is some goodish heavy metal

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Dog's Purpose 4.5/10 - a genuinely odd mix. It's a kids films that deals with some rather grown up issues, through the eyes of a reincarnating dog. Some of the doggy bits were a bit...

https://memegenerator.net/img/images/600x600/9877641/tears.jpg

...but the overall tone was strange. The multiple storylines were a bit unnecessary, unless science does go on to prove dogs remember past lives* Thinking

*not a spoiler btw, they reveal this at the start of the film. Had they not it might have been a good twist.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Death Day 6/10

Solid enough b movie slasher with comedy elements.

Rips off Ground Hog day, but is gracious enough to admit it in the script.

If you like silly slasher type films with a few laughs in, it's worth a watch. Scatter gun approach means it is trying to be lots of genres at the same time, so it's not a strict genre movie.

But, yeah, mix it in a 12 hr movie marathon, as an appateiser for a proper horror, it will fit right in.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain Between Us 4/10

Too melodramatic, too much romance, not enough survival action for my liking. Would have given it 3 out of 10, but I liked the dog.

I could quite happily have skipped chunks of the film, which I just found tedious.

Idris Elba was okayish, but he is so much better than that. Couple stranded in snow after plane crash, yadadada, too many problems for my liking with it all from the moment things started going wrong during the flight, through their initial survival and decisions on appropriate next steps to carry on surviving, none of that rang true. This was then further ruined by a big dollop of love story. Thumbs Down

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:45 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Idris Elba was okayish, but he is so much better than that.

Is he? Where?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you rate him in the wire?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Or Luther?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:

Or Luther?

They're filming a 5th series Dance! Well I say series, the last one was two episodes Confused

Edit: apparently it will be four episodes (so like series 2 & 3).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:35 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scowling and growling? No, not really, from what I've seen. Does he display any range?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Flag Flying - 4/10

Steve Carell, Bryan Cranston and Laurence Fishburne are Vietnam war veterans and get back together after years to bury Carell's son who recently died in action.

This was supposed to be a comedy but ended up a critique of the US military (good, I guess) and then turned into patriotic crap in the end. It felt like a MASH episode.

It had some moments worth a laugh but all and all it was too long, and too 'merican for my taste. I know it's quite silly to say about an American film, but you'll see.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
thx1138 wrote:
Idris Elba was okayish, but he is so much better than that.

Is he? Where?

He was tolerable in the first Thor film where he didn't have enough lines to actually ruin it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Scowling and growling? No, not really, from what I've seen. Does he display any range?

I don't know if I rate him either - but I'm not sure I'd characterise his thing in that as scowling and growling. He seems more like that deadly calm and always collected one that's consistently one step ahead of everyone and everything, including Barksdale himself.

Range? Unknown. But if I think in the context of the wire, I'm not sure any of them display any range - yet that this doesn't detract from how the series develops. Maybe Omar gets to show the widest spectrum of stuff - he's a cold-blooded killer, but has a love interest too. Generally, though, the cast seem to play one thing and keep it that way, but I'm not sure this is to the detriment of the series.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Last Flag Flying - 4/10

Steve Carell, Bryan Cranston and Laurence Fishburne are Vietnam war veterans and get back together after years to bury Carell's son who recently died in action.

This was supposed to be a comedy but ended up a critique of the US military (good, I guess) and then turned into patriotic crap in the end. It felt like a MASH episode.

It had some moments worth a laugh but all and all it was too long, and too 'merican for my taste. I know it's quite silly to say about an American film, but you'll see.

8/10 for me, it was a superbly acted movie.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I See is You. 8/10 An unusual movie, fantastic cinematography and a unique story in the detail.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 143 of 194