Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point Blank

French language thriller with English subtitles. Excellent, really superb. Once of the better films I have seen. 83 minutes long, worth every single one of those minutes. Action action and more action. 9.5/10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSV2_5TJiPM

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maze 7/10 The IRA breakout from the Maze, pretty decent movie.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spider Man - Homecoming 7/10

I liked it. I like this Spiderman more than Toby Maguire.

Not sure how much longer the kid trying to find his feet, and doubting he is good enough routine will work, it was okay in this film. I liked the tech, the humour, the silliness - it stayed within it's own genre.

Nice nod to Ferris Bueller at one point, though it's that running through the gardens bit, which is often paraodied, and of course Stan Lee popped up, one of his better cameos I thought.

There was one big tedathon-chase-fight-chase, obligatory in such movies. Bit yawny. Though on the whole the action bits were quite amusing and well thought out, and reasonably fresh.

I watched the credits until the end, noticed film Australia or some such mentioned, which interested me, as I thought that looked a lot like the Sydney Harbour ferry in one of the scenes. Marvel - have to watch to the end, they put little bits in.

Captain America popped up and rewarded me with an additional cameo for my patience.

Only real problem I have with all these Avenger rebooted type films, is much like Xmen, I lose track of who is who, and what order I have seen them in, versus what order I'm supposed to have seen them in.

Probably doesn't matter a great deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Commuter

Lian Neeson, pretty much 'Non-Stop' on a train. Neeson proving once again he is a reluctant hero as he is pitted against time to find someone on the train or bad things will happen to his family. Enjoyable film on the whole, [Random fact]despite being set in New York, it was mostly filmed at Worplesdon railway station nr Surrey[/random fact]. Patrick Wilson, Verma Farmiga and Sam Neill join the crew.

A solid 9/10

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kong - Skull Island 6/10

Good B movie monster romp. Entertaining enough.

It took the movie a while to decide what it wanted to be, was it a war movie or not. Hints of Apocalypse Now and Air America, perhaps cross referenced with Predator. There is some sort of cryptozoology department called Monarch, but that part of it was a bit of a damp squib I felt, could've made a wee bit more of that, and a bit less of the Predator style gun toting marines.

Took it a while to find it's feet, once the set up was over, fairly familiar territory, good special effects, fast paced, action and a liberal slapstick splattering of humans, and some monster on monster action too.

Probably the best Kong movie I have seen since I first saw the classic b&w one on a portable telly way back in the 70s.

A surprisingly long epilogue at the very end of the credits, Monarch finally seem to have some teeth, hinting at a sequel. Dragons maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Kong - Skull Island 6/10

A surprisingly long epilogue at the very end of the credits, Monarch finally seem to have some teeth, hinting at a sequel. Dragons maybe?

I believe it's all being set up for Kong V Godzilla....sigh.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
thx1138 wrote:
Kong - Skull Island 6/10

I believe it's all being set up for Kong V Godzilla....sigh.

Oh dear Neutral The last Godzilla was one of the worst films I've ever seen, and Skull Island wasn't much better. Shame as the Peter Jackson King Kong was rather good (if a little too long).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papadopoulos and Sons 5/10 - A surprisingly warm and charming British film... which means not a lot happens but what little that does is done surprisingly well. The only actor I recognised was the son from Fear the Walking Dead, but there were a number of good performances.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Time 8/10

I liked it. It was crime film, it wasn't a crime caper, or a heist movie, or even a gangster film. Some neo-noir influences perhaps.

Two brothers, one not great at crime, the other with learning difficulties being dragged along, never quite sure where it is going, no glamour, no style - other than that walks a line between seedy/desperate and gritty/realism. A few other characters that would fit in a breaking bad episode. The Cinematography makes the film, particularly use of light and colour, and sets.

There isn't a huge amount of action, but the story keeps moving along, and one guy trying to live on his wits, trying to get out of a mess he made, and pulling others down with him.

I liked it a lot. It reminded me just in parts, of The Drop starring Tom Hardy, but with smaller stake crimes, and lower league criminals.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Darkest Hour 7.5/10. Well worth watching. Gary Oldman wasn't particularly convincing as churchill but in the round it was a very good movie and perfectly captured the moment, both cinematographically and historically (though I have no idea if the bit on the tube happened in reality).

And his secretary, damn but I'd like a couple of hours with her. Twisted Evil

how long before the internet has a parody of the Hilter Rant parody, with Churchy shouting in his bunker?

I doubt the tube thing happened, it was a movie device to crack on a bit, and show that he wanted the opinions of the common folk - and I guess they couldn't exactly show his public PR appearances between bombing raids, as it hadn't come to that yet.

I thought Oldman was a good Churchill, maybe won't win any prizes in a lookalike contest, and not up there with Michael Sheen and his ability to portray someone.

I wonder if Halifax was made to look dweeby, like Listers negativity when he got the flu that time on Red Dwarf, to make him seem more simpering. It was good that they got them all arguing about what they'd seen in the Great War, wonder if that happened also?

I liked the device they employed showing archive footage, as current intel, and then playing it in reverse as an analogy of Churchills thoughts.

I'd agree with 7.5 out of 10 I think. I'd have liked just a bit more hints of Dunkirk action, but.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunkirk 5/10

I was really disappointed.

A few lines of troops on the beach representing hundreds of thousands.

A few little boats representing the hundreds that went to get the men.

It just didn't have the atmosphere and tension I was expecting. In fact you could have called it anything and just had it as any war movie.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Dunkirk 5/10

I was really disappointed.

A few lines of troops on the beach representing hundreds of thousands.

A few little boats representing the hundreds that went to get the men.

It just didn't have the atmosphere and tension I was expecting. In fact you could have called it anything and just had it as any war movie.

I liked it, though it was mostly aimed at the point of view of one civilian crew of a small boat, despite it's attempts to jump between points of view. The device they used keep showing the same event from different angles, points of view, and time frames, didn't always help make the film watchable.

I'd give it 7/10 - though my fave bit was Tom Hardy in his aeroplane, or the lone British soldier on the wrong side of the French lines.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:59 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I took the Mrs and kid to watch this - my son is a big SW fan. We saw The Force Awakens in 4DX and really enjoyed it, but went standard 2D for this. It was..... OK. A few things bugged me, mainly that I don't think Daisy Ridley can act, she seems wooden and like she is reading from an autocue badly. It was also about 30 minutes too long. I missed about 10 minutes when I went to the toilet, but my mrs watched it all. When I asked her what I'd missed, she said she couldn't even tell me what the story was, she found it that muddled and confusing. My lad liked it but thought that it was too long.

6/10

Brawl In Cell Block 99

Vince Vaughn as a badass who becomes a drug runner after being laid off, and gets sent to prison when doing a job, and his accomplaces shoot up the police. Whilst in there, he is tasked to kill someone in another prison to protect his wife and unborn kid on the outside. I really like this, and even Vince Vaughn was good (I find him *very* hit or miss). Obviously a low budget film, and I fancy watching Bone Hacksaw (another film by the director, with Kurt Russell). I found it aesthetically very similar to Green Room as well (another great, low budget film).
Anyways, yeah - worth a watch. It is quite gory in parts as well.

8.5/10

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars: The Last Jedi 7/10

It was okay, I maintain that Star Wars is a watchable B movie, and that everything that has span off since is B movie at best. As B movies go, it was fun.

I quite liked it, had some amusing moments, personally I'd rather Eddie Hitler had just gone off on a drunken murderous rampage Laughing

I'd say I list it as number 3 in order of preference;

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Star Wars
3) Last Jedi

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

808 7/10 - story of the Roland TR-808 drum machine. Obviously you need to be into music/music production, but even as someone who dabbles and (very) occasionally produces an audible sound, I really enjoyed it.

CyrilSwan
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:34 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coco 9/10 Great film. Almost brought me to tears. Really enjoyed it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumanji 2 Welcome to the Jungle 5/10

Never seen Jumanji, a lot of Robin Williams films were sub par, like Hook, and so never felt inclined to watch it.

This has a few laughs, but is mostly humdrum, boring and unoriginal imo

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Robin Williams films were sub par, like Hook, and so never felt inclined to watch it.

Apparently Steven Spielberg said he only watched it back to see if there was anything he liked about it, and there wasn't Smile

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Post 6/10

I wanted to like it more than I did. Thought it would be my cup of tea

I didn't much like Tom Hanks trying to be Robert Redford. The film, in my opinion just lacks any urgency or sense of importance, it seems a bit wooden - it shouldn't, but I guess in an age of wiki leaks, and fake news, and the sale and relevance of newspapers falling through the floor, it all seems a bit quaint and dusty.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:59 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby Driver

Great action flick/musical hybrid. The GF appreciated the musicality and the action-on-the-beat stuff, and I appreciated the car chases and the shooting. Great acting, decent story, only let down by the believability of the love interest towards the end... Good solid movie though, would recommend! 7.5/10

Six-String Samurai
Full movie available on Youtube. Post apocalyptic Buddy Holly moves across Russian held American wasteland in order to become the new king of Rock and Roll after the death of Elvis. On the way he issues his own brand of sword wielding justice! It sounds bad, and it is, but it's also very entertaining, with good fighting sequences and the weirdness just keeps you invested. Made on a budget of about 5 bucks, but far greater than the sum of it's parts. Taking into account the massive drag factor of the weirdness and low budget I'm giving it 8/10

Outland
Often described as High Noon in space, with Sean Connery at the helm it's actually pretty unlike any movie I've ever seen before. Has the Aesthetic of Alien, a kind of Western style story with an amazing claustrophobic atmosphere. The Marshal doesn't want to be there, the people on the Titanium mine on Io don't want the Marshal to be there, but he's decided to enforce the law, and that's what he does. Not perfect, but good 6.5/10

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
The Commuter

A solid 9/10

not sure if serious?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
King29 wrote:
The Commuter

A solid 9/10

not sure if serious?

Why? good movie, I enjoyed it. I like most Liam Neeson films, this was no exception. Gripping thriller, good story line, highly recommended.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, fair enough,each to their own.

The Commuter 3/10

Tired, formulaic, too many plot flaws, and the Taking of Pelham 123 wants their crash back.

The plot had far too many holes in it, there was nothing in the film that would make me feel like watching it a second time.

Some of the sequences were downright farcical.

It would have worked better as a 90 minute t.v movie, or with some tweaking, a feature length episode of a tv cop show.

Poor effort.

Last edited by thx1138 on 22:01 - 31 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something, but Liam Neeson just seems to be a geriatric Jason Statham. I liked his narration of Road though.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but Liam Neeson just seems to be a geriatric Jason Statham. I liked his narration of Road though.

He is dependable. Non stop was good and I just watched Unknown again a couple of nights ago on Blu ray. Run all night was entertaining, as an actor I rate him.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 144 of 194