Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

American gangster

5/10

Been trying to watch this for ages but always on too late
Found it in poundland so bought it

Very long for what it was and nothing seems to happen but still watchable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:14 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Foreigner"
Jackie Chan playing Laim Neeson in a UK based plot.

Nicely presented - though as well as with the usual 'CSI' zoom-in, they suggest he was going to blow up a tank with a 'diesel' filler cap.

Otherwise; an enjoyable romp. 7.4/10.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I might have to give it a go as I like a bit of Chan.

andyscooter wrote:
American gangster

5/10

Been trying to watch this for ages but always on too late
Found it in poundland so bought it

Very long for what it was and nothing seems to happen but still watchable

I bought it a while back from Poundland as well. Still haven't watched it Embarassed

Mute 3/10 The 'spiritual sequel' to Moon, except it isn't. It's a rather boring Sci-fi film for people who don't actually like Sci-fi, hence why it's about love and babies and all that shit Rolling Eyes

That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Django Unchained (10/10)

Saw it years ago, but watched again recently, all time great list - I like Tarantino films but this is his best.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
as much as I dislike Russell Brand, he makes this film brilliant

That's the most annoying thing about Russell Brand.

As an actor (for want of a better word*) he's actually alright: does ok in most roles.

But as a public figure ... what a complete twazzock.

*He makes me want to pronounce it in that posey way, though: ac-TOR.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreams of a Life 3.5/10 - true story of a woman who died and was left undiscovered for over 2 years (yay London Rolling Eyes). It's a bit like one of those episodes of heir hunters where they delve into someones past. The problem's they only last 15 minutes, this is a feature length film where they end up repeating themselves (a lot), although it had an interesting ending.

The Imposter 4.5/10 - another true story/documentary about a bloke who impersonates a missing American kid he looks nothing like. It's an astonishing story, and makes you wonder just how f**king retarded some people are.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Panther. 5/10

Ok for action and effects I spose, but a crap hard to follow storyline that got annoying quickly. As far as Marvel comic characters go, it's not a spec of shit on the shoe's of Thor or the Avengers etc.

Goldstone 2016. 7/10

Watched last night on dvd, and it was a slow film that took ages to get going, but once the main character started speaking halfway through the film it got better and was a typical closed shop small town story and their attitude towards outsiders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Black Panther. 5/10

Ok for action and effects I spose, but a crap hard to follow storyline that got annoying quickly. As far as Marvel comic characters go, it's not a spec of shit on the shoe's of Thor or the Avengers etc.

I'm finding it a hard one to gauge. It looks ordinary from the trailers, yet reviews say it's amazing, the best superhero movie ever, breaking box office records (is it?) etc..

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynical me, but I think there might be obvious reasons why the film is getting rave reviews compared to other Marvel character films. Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:30 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Cynical me, but I think there might be obvious reasons why the film is getting rave reviews compared to other Marvel character films. Wink

I was rather hoping that wasn't the case Neutral I don't remember the new Ghostbusters being lauded.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thor Ragnarok: 8/10

Yeah its Marvel, yeah its special effects and no story, or the same story folded differently but by god this one is a funny one. They have injected a really good sense of humour into this movie and I laughed, proper laughed, lots. Scored an extra 2 for the giggles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Revenant - 6.5/10 - Crunchy nineteenth century wilderness survival tale. Bit long, and stretches the bounds of credulity at times.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:54 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm finding [Blick Pinther] a hard one to gauge. It looks ordinary from the trailers, yet reviews say it's amazing, the best superhero movie ever, breaking box office records (is it?) etc..

#BlickLiesMatter are treating it like a documentary, or the Blick Rapture. Blickture? Testify!

Let them have their moment. If we want to watch spear chucking, we'll always have Zulu. Until that gets blicklisted.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the latest Thor was actually a really good film, even allowing for the lack of great storylines, and no Jane either. Sad

But yeah it was really funny, the other Thor films were too. There's none of that in Black Panther, and I genuinely couldn't understand the good reviews it gets.

Don't think I've seen the Revanant, but though I'm no Leonardo fan, some of his films have been enjoyable and slick, so I'd give it a go.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

They have injected a really good sense of humour into this movie and I laughed, proper laughed, lots. Scored an extra 2 for the giggles.

I thought that of the last film but not the first or Ragnarok.

National Lampoon's Vacation 6/10 - after watching Vacation I thought I should give the original a go. I actually really enjoyed it, the humour seemed more subtle than Christmas Vacation (which was a bit OTT), and there were a few genuine LOL moments. I also love how un-PC it is... I'm guessing the Netflix generation haven't got around to watching it yet.

Oh and the mum gets her top off Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:05 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing funny about #BlickLies. Nothing. Folded arms

M.C wrote:
National Lampoon's Vacation I also love how un-PC it is...

Try National Lampoon's Animal House.

If you were to grow a film in a test tube with the express purpose of triggering a millennial, it would be largely indistinguishable from Animal House.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave Animal House a go before, don't think I finished it Shifty

Big Eyes 4/10 - true story of a couple who fooled the art world. Some decent performances but it got a little silly towards the end.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 14:32 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

Yeah its Marvel, yeah its special effects and no story, or the same story folded differently but by god this one is a funny one. They have injected a really good sense of humour into this movie and I laughed, proper laughed, lots. Scored an extra 2 for the giggles.

Had it sat there for weeks but read your review and spurred me on to watch it. Was sat there for the first half like, fucking hell pinkyfloyd's let me down here... but then as soon as he met "Grand Master", it got funnier.

I laughed out loud once or twice and plenty of smaller laughs too. Was worth the watch Thumbs Up

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkest Hour - 6/10

Should be called The Darkest Two Hours. It's like the painting “Ecce Homo”, A great story waiting to be told, but instead gets trashed.
Just wonder if the other Churchill movie will be any better.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Yawns the Last Jedi.... 2/10

It only scored 2 because the last 20 minutes were watchable. The struggle was actually getting through the 2 hours before it, Christ it was boring.

This franchise has been milked more than the last dairy cow in the milkshake factory. Boring now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Try National Lampoon's Animal House.

Oh, that brings back so many memories, as does Class Reunion I'd almost forgotten about the national Lampoon films !! I must be getting old Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Star Yawns the Last Jedi.... 2/10

It only scored 2 because the last 20 minutes were watchable. The struggle was actually getting through the 2 hours before it, Christ it was boring.

This franchise has been milked more than the last dairy cow in the milkshake factory. Boring now.

I agree. If it wasn't Star Wars I more than likely would have turned it off.

Champs 4/10 - the story of Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield and Bernard Hopkins (who I'd never heard of Embarassed). It's ok, it goes a bit more into the background of the boxers, and points out faults with the sport. I just find it hard (with the first two) to find sympathy for people who made and blew 200-300 million dollah, then want someone else to blame. I've seen better docs on Tyson and Holyfield even though Hopkins' story was interesting, I kinda prefer pure sporting documentaries. Produced by Mike Tyson so he glosses over the whole ear biting thing Smile

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shape of Water 10/10

Possibly not at the top of must-sees for BCFers but a truly lovely film. A vivid fantasy along the lines of Amelie with a bit of La La Land thrown in. Good vs evil and love conquers all.

Wonderful to look at, the colours and light. Loads of superb period detail, 1950/ and 60s cars, street scenes, clothes and interiors. Great casting and acting all round.

A fantastical plot; proper evil baddies, a tender love story, profound friendships with mild peril mixed in.

Human sex, wanking and fish sex too.

This film definitely deserves all the plaudits it's had so far.

Maybe not for the kids though. Shocked

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:36 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri - 7.5/10

Bit of a fucked up film in subject and characters. Was a few laugh out loud moments in it too. Frances McDormand just won an oscar for her role in this ( as well as Rockwell for best supporting actor ) and the last one she won was for Fargo 20 odd years ago... which this kind of reminded me of Fargo a little bit with the odd characters.

Lady Bird - 6.8/10

Well made, not the usual shite as other films of that genre usually make. It quite funny as well.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:13 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the kid to watch:

Cloverfield

He'd seen 10 Cloverfield Lane and wanted to watch the first.
Other than a few jump scarey bits, he loved it. 7.5/10

Game Night

The trailer looked funny, and Rachel McAdams is a fox. Turns out to be a much funnier film than the trailer gave away. Well worth a watch with plenty of laughs. 8/10

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

Again. Yes. it is an awesome film. Watch it. 9/10

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

This and Snatch are good films. This is a well shot, well paced and well acted film, and for bonus points, quoting the lines in the regional dialect to an actual cockney winds them up no end. 8/10

Boogie Nights

The Mrs hadn't seen this, and I haven't watched it in a long time, so on it went. Deliverance aside, I don't think that Burt Reynolds has been better in a film. Mark Wahlberg reads his lines like he is questioning if he should be saying each sentence, but overall, a cracking film. 8/10

Caddyshack

I'd never seen this, and as a result I think I'd overhyped it in my head. Nothing great IMO, I think Rodney Dangerfield was bobbins, the usually brilliant Bill Murray seemed like he was phoning it in, and the gopher was the highlight of the film. 5/10

Spiderman Homecoming

I'd missed this at the cinema, and really wanted to watch it after the reviews. A brilliant reboot with a likeable lead, good action sequences, great comic relief and Michael Keaton rocked it as the villain. 8.5/10
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 147 of 194