Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:11 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Everyones entitled to their own opinion but i am of the thought that the maze runner series is more painful to watch than stabbing yourself in the eyes with nails.. terrible acting, obvious storylines, more terrible acting.

I haven't tried that, but it does sound reasonably pleasurably compared to these films!

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

Everyones entitled to their own opinion but i am of the thought that the maze runner series is more painful to watch than stabbing yourself in the eyes with nails.. terrible acting, obvious storylines, more terrible acting.

I haven't tried that, but it does sound reasonably pleasurably compared to these films!

First one was enjoyable, second kind of dropped off a little but still worth a watch, will watch the 3rd at some point
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise they made a franchise out of Maze Runner until recently, don't even think I made it through the first one Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:04 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third was is actually potentially less bad than the first two - but I'd still classify them all as aimed at typical 13 year olds - basically a cheaper hunger games.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
The third was is actually potentially less bad than the first two - but I'd still classify them all as aimed at typical 13 year olds - basically a cheaper hunger games.

Agreed, Sits nicely with Hunger Games, Divergent etc, Seems to have been a spate of those movies recently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Hunger Games

That didn't deserve a franchise IMO. The first two were good, although the second less so basically being a repeat of the first, but the third and fourth installments were awful. They should have made one shit film to wrap up the series.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awe come on, the Hunger Games is only good because Jenifer Lawrence is fuckable. If it was not for her it'd be shit.

That said, Passengers was a shit film too but by god she made it watchable!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nice Guys 5/10
Never really rated Russell Crowe and I only tangentially recognised the name Ryan Gosling, so I nearly didn't watch it, but I suppose it was entertaining enough.

All five points awarded were mostly for (a) the 70s soundtrack; and (b) the fact that Ryan Gosling with a Van Dyk beard arrangement looks amazingly like Christoph Waltz, which phwoar.

So that alone was enough for me start watching La La Land to get more of a look at Gosling, but I fell asleep less than quarter of the way through, possibly from boredom of all the singing and trying too hardfulness of the cast.

My opinion of La La Land will have to wait until I have the stamina to watch it all the way through. Expect a review around 2037AD.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars The Last Jedi 2/10

Special effects were good. The rest was just crap. Basically this film ruined Star Wars in eyes of every fan. Previous characters only appeared in the film for the sake of continuity. Mark Hamill was basically used in the most degrading way to be replaced by young generation of actors in dozens of Disney Star Wars films to come. Fans expected Luke Skywalker to kick some ass, but no.. he just died for no reason whatsoever. On top of that the most promissing villain just got killed in a silly way so there is nothing more to look forward to.

I don't think I'll be spending any money to watch next Star Wars films.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder on the Orient express

Remake of the 1974 film and/or adaptation of the Agatha Christie book from 1934. Never read the book, never watched the 1974 film so went in blind. Meh, boring. Daisy Starwars Ridley gives a hammy performance as does most of the cast, Johnny Depp has an all too small part and not enough screen presence. I remember Sean Connery was in the 1974 version with Lauren Becall as I caught the end credits one Christmas in the early 90's waiting for something else to start, perhaps that version would have been a better bet. It plays in one location, on a train, The Commuter it is not.

3/10

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musketeer wrote:
Star Wars The Last Jedi 2/10

Special effects were good. The rest was just crap. Basically this film ruined Star Wars in eyes of every fan. Previous characters only appeared in the film for the sake of continuity. Mark Hamill was basically used in the most degrading way to be replaced by young generation of actors in dozens of Disney Star Wars films to come. Fans expected Luke Skywalker to kick some ass, but no.. he just died for no reason whatsoever. On top of that the most promissing villain just got killed in a silly way so there is nothing more to look forward to.

I don't think I'll be spending any money to watch next Star Wars films.

In fairness, none of the Star Wars films are good. They bore the life out of me.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:06 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warriors (1979) 8/10
Old, dated but awesome. I don't really now what made it so enjoyable. The acting is a bit hammy, the plot is pretty basic but it's just an awesome enjoyable chase from beginning to end. The fights are surprisingly good considering no one is a trained martial artist. They all look like well practiced brawlers, which is exactly what they would be. Wouldn't pass the Bechedel test, but it's just not that type of movie. The atmosphere created is very special and I just had fun from start to finish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:07 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
In fairness, none of the Star Wars films are good. They bore the life out of me.

+1. Never saw the appeal!

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The Warriors (1979) 8/10
Old, dated but awesome. I don't really now what made it so enjoyable. The acting is a bit hammy, the plot is pretty basic but it's just an awesome enjoyable chase from beginning to end. The fights are surprisingly good considering no one is a trained martial artist. They all look like well practiced brawlers, which is exactly what they would be. Wouldn't pass the Bechedel test, but it's just not that type of movie. The atmosphere created is very special and I just had fun from start to finish.

love this film Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 00:26 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annihilation - 6/10

Umm. Tried to watch this with the GF and both fell asleep. Tried to watch it on my own and fell asleep. Usually, that is not something that happens when watching films but maybe it was a sign.

4 female leads and quite a cool concept but just weirdly executed. The ending was a load of piss, not very well thought out at all.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The Warriors (1979) 8/10

Should hate, but can't lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeEbtiruH2Q

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Panther 1/10

Unadulterated garbage, no idea what the plot was as I only lasted 31 mins before turning it off. Seemed to be something to do with the Lion King and UFOs. Dreary and utterly predictable, how this became one of the highest grossing films ever, at the box office, is mind boggling.
It's probably great if you're a three year old.

At least I only wasted 31 minutes of my life instead of the full 2 plus hours.
Thumbs Down

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poltergeist (2015) 2/10

I put it on the other night it was about 30 min in, I turned it off a couple of minute after that, utter drivel not a patch on the original.

I only gave it 2/10 because the little girl that disappeared was called maddie, and parents her said "We can't call the police, they'll blame us" and it amused me

TLDR; don't bother watch the original instead

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengers Infinity War

Day of work today so thought I'd go and see this, meh, average at best. All the top actors in the film, plot was crap and story line actually made sense from the villains point of view. Great special effects as you'd imagine from a big budget film; just samey. Guardians of the galaxy, Thor, Avengers; simply variations on a theme. If you've seen one then you've seen them all.

5/10.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:36 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Poltergeist (2015) 2/10

I put it on the other night it was about 30 min in, I turned it off a couple of minute after that, utter drivel not a patch on the original.

I only gave it 2/10 because the little girl that disappeared was called maddie, and parents her said "We can't call the police, they'll blame us" and it amused me

Think yourself lucky, I sat through the whole thing.... twice Evil or Very Mad

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Black Panther 1/10

Unadulterated garbage, no idea what the plot was as I only lasted 31 mins before turning it off. Seemed to be something to do with the Lion King and UFOs. Dreary and utterly predictable, how this became one of the highest grossing films ever, at the box office, is mind boggling.
It's probably great if you're a three year old.

At least I only wasted 31 minutes of my life instead of the full 2 plus hours.
Thumbs Down

We watched this at the weekend. The plot doesn't really become evident until you're about half way through, but anyone who's ever watched a film could guess the broad strokes of it before it started. Hero becomes hero. Hero suffers setback. Hero overcomes setback with help of friends.

It was slick and well executed but completely joyless. At the end I was convinced I'd watched a cartoon. It was almost all CGI. But then I've never really been into this Marvel hero stuff, so I'm not really the target audience.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:04 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Hero overcomes setback with help of friends.

And performance enhancing substances.

Which only the despotic royalty get to use.

Truly an inspirational tale for the masses.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:33 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Poltergeist (2015) 2/10

Hmmmm. I agree that the original is better, but the remake isn't terrible. I'd say that as far as remakes go, it is one of the better ones. Sam Rockwell is good in pretty much everything that he's in.

I saw Avengers: Infinity War at the weekend.

Generally a big fan of the Marvel films, despite the samey-ness of them, and although I tried to avoid trailers, I did see one a few weeks ago and was really looking forwards to this. I felt let down, I think. I'm not sure. I do know that the film wasn't as amazing as I thought it was going to be, but other than that, I don't know. A film where Thor, Iron Man, Spider Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy are all together should have been *hi*lar*i*ous* and kick ass. The fight scenes became a bit too much Transformers for me. Conversely, the Mrs and kid went in expecting the film to be bobbins, and absolutely loved it.

6/10 (or maybe a 7, I really don't know)

Last edited by CBFcarl on 10:35 - 04 May 2018; edited 2 times in total

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
angryjonny wrote:
Hero overcomes setback with help of friends.

And performance enhancing substances.

Which only the despotic royalty get to use.

Truly an inspirational tale for the masses.

They were rather quick to revolt as soon as there was a sniff of regime change. I'm not sure that place was the utopia they were trying to present.

CBFcarl wrote:
6/10 (or maybe a 7, I really don't know

You know the world tilts on its axis because of people's unclosed parentheses.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and being a self-confessed non-Marvel fan the next obvious step was to watch Deadpool before Deadpool 2 comes out.

This is what a hero movie should be: fun. Over the past decade or two it feels like Hollywood has forgotten how to make entertaining movies. If you watch them it's because you feel like you ought to, rather than because you want to.

I blame Michael Keaton's Batman for starting the joyless hero movie trend, but Spiderman, Transformers, X Men etc have picked up that baton and run with it.

So yeah, Deadpool bucks the trend. Formulaic? Yes. Deep? No. Fun? Yes.

8/10
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 151 of 194