Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

They were rather quick to revolt.

Thinking Superhero movies are supposed to be works of fiction.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:28 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Black Panther 1/10

Unadulterated garbage, no idea what the plot was as I only lasted 31 mins before turning it off. Seemed to be something to do with the Lion King and UFOs. Dreary and utterly predictable, how this became one of the highest grossing films ever, at the box office, is mind boggling.
It's probably great if you're a three year old.

At least I only wasted 31 minutes of my life instead of the full 2 plus hours.
Thumbs Down

quite clearly you didnt get the subtle black power undertones and you must be a white supremist. LYNCH HIM!

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:36 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
You know the world tilts on its axis because of people's unclosed parentheses.

Fixed, just for you Very Happy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Night - 6/10

A comedy about a game night gone wrong with a plot twist. The cast was good, Jason Bateman is a good comedy actor and the rest of the cast was well picked as well. Even Sharon Horgan, who didn't fit in at first, was a source of some funny moments. It was odd to see her there, though. Jesse Plemons (the butcher from the Fargo tv series) was a very nice surprise and he was excellent in this.

TL; DR: It was good.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:17 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batma vs Superman: Dawn of Justice "league" but we don't say that out out loud Extentard Edition 4/10

Eh. Let's just list it out:

Pros:
Arrow Mashes up Dark Knight Returns, Death[*] of Superman and a bit of Kingdom Come in one film.
Arrow Louis Lane Bathtime Poseable Action Figure.
Arrow Batfleck doesn't actually get that many lines.
Arrow Wonder Woman was the best thing in it.
Arrow Gal Gadot when she's scowling at a wind machine in slow motion.
Arrow Very little wrong with it.

Cons:
Arrow Batfleck
Arrow Gal Gadot when she's moving or walking or talking in, what was that, a Caribbean accent?, anyway not scowling at a wind machine in slow motion. Gina Carano was the Wonder Woman that we deserved.
Arrow Wonder Woman was the best thing in it.
Arrow Not really a film, so much as a CGI interpretation of a film.
Arrow About 9 hours too long.
Arrow Very little right with it.

Well at least we won't have to wonder if we'll ever get any decent versions of DKR, DoS or KC, so small mercies.

[*] Neil Gaiman was asked if his version of Death could feature in a post Death of Superman comic. He said "Sure, if he's not coming back to life in another few issues". And that was the last of that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

And yet made up of really short scenes. It felt like a crap film they mercilessly tried to fix in the edit, failed to do so, committed mass suicide then put it out anyway.

In case you're wondering I was not a fan.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacific Rim 2 uprising
I watched original with DVD and I didn't like it so much.
And I watched Pacific Rim 2 in the theatre today, story wasn't good, weird. Original was better. Only one good point of this movie was Cailee Spaeny was cute.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester by the Sea: 6/10

Someone recommended it to me.

Hipster film featuring nepotism Ben Affleck's brother who plays the part of a guy living a solitary life in a cold place, whose brother then dies and he has to look after the dead brother's son.

Slow, pointless, generic pry into the way life is for some people (American people).

NB: Not Manchester UK. Manchester, New England, Essex County, USA.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:50 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

red sparrow:

lots of jl nude

film was decent ish

did i mention lots of jl nude

8/10

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:13 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Hipster film featuring nepotism Ben Affleck's brother who plays the part of a guy living a solitary life in a cold place, whose brother then dies and he has to look after the dead brother's son.

Slow, pointless, generic pry into the way life is for some people (American people).

Thought it deserved a little more than a 6. Genuinely a depressing subject but not all films have to be funny/action packed/horror, etc etc. It's good to through a gritty one in there now and again.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Thought it deserved a little more than a 6. Genuinely a depressing subject but not all films have to be funny/action packed/horror, etc etc. It's good to through a gritty one in there now and again.

The only thing I really liked was the dialogue, like Three Billboards... it was realistic in that everyone was a c**t to each other Smile

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

Indeed! Some of my favourites are the slow drama types. I just didn't see anything special at all about this one in particular.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:51 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

And yet made up of really short scenes. It felt like a crap film they mercilessly tried to fix in the edit, failed to do so, committed mass suicide then put it out anyway.
In case you're wondering I was not a fan.

4 was generous, but I was surprised by how bad some parts of it weren't. If you've read Kingdom Come - or the Moore/Gaiman Marvel/Miracleman - you can nerd out over the thematic influences.

Although, Moore's Marvelman would have just flown though Allan Ackbar, I guess. Thinking

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:47 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengers Infinity War - 8/10

The best Avengers film I've seen so far.
Good guy tries to do good thing. Bad guys try and stop him. Good guy wins. The End.

Of course if the bad guys were willing to do what needed to be done in the first place, they could of won. So, so many plot holes and stupid decisions made.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpool 2 10/10

I just returned from the big screen and I loved it, if you enjoyed the first one you'll like the second. It even has a bit of a story and some touching moments. But overall it is more of the same, a piss take of super hero movies. Only this time it has a bigger budget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:22 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Feel Pretty

Amy Schumer is a bit of a chunker with low self esteem, who is kept in a dark basement, working in IT. Following a Spincycle incident, she has a bang to the head which results in her seeing her inner beauty and thinking that the outside matches. Quite funny in parts, a bit preachy in others, it isn't a bad film, but I wouldn't say it was a great film. It was better than Snatched, but not as good as Trainwreck.

6.5/10

Deadpool 2: Electric Boogaloo

I loved the first film, and was really looking forward to Ryan Reynolds wearing red and turning the air blue. I wasn't disappointed. A solid couple of hours of swearing, violence and self-referential humour. I do think it suffers from John Wick Syndrome. Had the first film not existed, I would have said that this was a solid 10, but in comparison, it is the slightly shorter and slightly weaker twin. Still a 9.5, and it is definitely a brilliant film, I just love the original a little bit more.
Go and watch it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:31 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Netflix] Stratton 2/10

I thought I'd give Dominic Cooper a fair shake, but his SEAL buddy clearly got there first. You know those navy types.

Urgh, British action films, just why. In the first two minute, they're running around with fingers on triggers, and they never take them off, which sends up a rocket that nobody involved with making this cared in the slightest about what they were doing.

Weirdest accent among many is Connie Matronbosom as an MI6 chief. She... guys, you know she's Danish, right? And she's trying to do some sort of upper class English voice. Weird and creepy.

Cooper can't really pick an accent either. Gemma Chan has face appeal, but unfortunately they let her speak too, which doesn't work out so well. Den zere arrr zaa bahdies who er alll ovar za playyyyhs.

Characterisation is attempted then averted. Someone does the one thing he was explicitly told not to do, and the consequences that were promised simply don't happen, for no reason at all, good or bad.

There's a basic plot, of sorts, and a plot twist. You'll never guess who the traitor is. I guess he... slithered in. Yes, it's that obvious a film.

Why?

Whyyy?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 20 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annihilation: 6/10

Feminist SJW ideologue sci-fi effort which looked like it was made as a very expensive film studies project.

General synopsis: Group of women go where all the men couldn't make it. In the group there's a lesbian who declares it immediately and talks openly about her mild attraction to the main character. There's also a physicist (black) with the classic nerdy, introverted, fidgety, awkward personality ascribed to physicists (so much for smashing stereotypes).

Special effects were no better than the CGI dinosaurs of the first Jurassic Park (1993!), other than the final scene which had such a mesmerisingly awesome 'thing', I genuinely question if the whole film was based on the proud creation of this CGI 'thing' which the creator decided to make a movie around in order to show it off to a wider audience.

At least the audio was alright. Still seemed a bit like it was made by a film studies student though. Too generic, but at least it wasn't bad. The sort of deep ominous rumbling noises that are used in a lot of sci-fi movies these days. It was all that.

Acting was terrible too.

Conclusion: At least not as obvious feminist bollocks as the new Ghostbusters.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 20 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Logan 4.5/10 - redneck heist thing (yes another one). Starts off ok, meanders on then kinda loses its way. Had it been 90 mins with a better ending I would have rated it higher, but two hours was too long for what it was.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Crimes - 5/10

Should have been called Boring Times. Jim Carrey stars with a really dodgy accent in this film which was all over the place and strangely paced.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:45 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:
Pacific Rim 2 uprising
I watched original with DVD and I didn't like it so much.
And I watched Pacific Rim 2 in the theatre today, story wasn't good, weird. Original was better. Only one good point of this movie was Cailee Spaeny was cute.

The idea of live mecha action movies made me very excited. I did not think it could miss. Giant robots, fighting but no Michael Bay and no casual racism?

I was wrong. How can you make something so intrinsically exciting as giant humanoid fighting vehicles with rockets and guns so damn dull?

I'm still waiting for the Battletech movie. I may be waiting some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:48 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Sounds cool.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 2 noteworthy films I've watched recently are Infinity War and Deadpool 2...

Infinity War: It looked great from the trailer and a friend spoiled the 'who died' before I'd seen it... OK it is the same old Marvel stuff, lots of funnies but also very dark at times.
It felt like it was lacking something though... maybe it was just too much hype and I expected more, but I did end up with a lot of questions by the end of it (mainly how can there be any sequels to any of the other movies when the characters are dead Thinking)

Anyway I was looking forward to watching it and thoroughly enjoyed it... so I'd say 9/10

Deadpool 2: Again I've been getting spammed with adverts for this for the last couple of months.... which usually means it's shit.
Without giving the story away, it starts off very funny, gets very serious with random fast paced jokes.... overall I'm undecided if it was better than the first, but it's definitely worth a watch.... it was slightly better than Infinity War though, but still gets rounded to 9/10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:00 - 29 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Sounds cool.

Only to Battletech nerds I guess... But if there is a market for Pacific Rim then there is a market for a Battletech movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrMOLvPJ0Pg

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 29 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Finity War - Loved it/ 10

The Black Order, I thought were quite terrifying. In Scotchockland, the train station, there was yeaaaaahhhh go America, moment. Waiting to fight the horde in Wakanda ... goo oooon laaaairrrrddssss.
Seeing Thor actually become even harder than in Thor 3 and be a complete baddass; mint. Very looking forward to the sequel, and before that, Captain Marvel.

'Pool 2 - Loved this one an'all/10

Like the first, with more money. Taika Waititi's mate, Julian Dennison, playing pretty much the same character as in Hunt for the Wilderpeople but with some powers and a secret pen stash Shocked
Fixed some errors of history; bloody Vinnie Jones' attempt is now deleted from my brain and "Deadpool" and Peter.

I laughed a lot.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 152 of 194