Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 14:21 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready Player One - 8.5/10

Whilst it was no Inception, there were certainly many nods to other great films and characters, even Inception.

I waited to watch this film in VR, watched with a friend in Big Screen Beta both on HTC Vive, which added to the coolness of the whole thing.

The fact that in around 10 years time, that's what it will actually be like (The Oasis), and the Connor McGregors / Ronaldos of today, will be gamers in the VR world (e-sports leagues already eclipse viewing figures for most huge sports like NFL, etc).

I like the concept of the oasis, like a world which is un-fuckable with, just because it's VR doesn't mean you can just conjure up a dragon and go setting cities on fire, you need to pay to play or earn your credits in there, much like a crypto currency.

I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be visually amazing but the story / actual acting was going to be shit... was pleasantly surprised. The amount of references to games as well (obviously) and other films, was really cool. Think I would need to watch again to see more that I missed.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:58 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did watching in VR seem to add much to it?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
King29 wrote:
one mans trash is another's treasure.

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Django Unchained

Agreed with King, I think Django was utter tripe, so its all opinions. People slate Jurassic World, I love it, latest Star Wars, I enjoyed it. People look at films and go I like this/that/hate this etc... If its got action and shit, I'm in.

I get that, sometimes action films are totally my thing, Terminator, T2, Ronin. They've also got a decent storyline.

Dialogue is something Tarrantino nails.

Original Drunken Master with Jackie Chan, action, story, plus dubbed translations out of synch - perferction lol

Wub Wasted Black Eye Hurt

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Jurassic Park film - 6/10

Total joke, nothing to do with dinosaurs any more.

Okay, it has dinosaurs in it. But it's basically a monster film where the monsters happen to be dinosaur themed.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:56 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Did watching in VR seem to add much to it?

Also keen for response.

Also regarding the Vive, how have you worked around the odd blurryness of it. It isn't too bad but as I wear glasses it makes things difficult and things are always going to be blurry until they can implant things into my head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 04:40 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching it in VR just seemed appropriate for what the film was about. I've watched quite a lot of films in Bigscreen Beta as the 3D is the best I have ever seen anywhere.

They have a huge cinema in there with dynamic lighting, reflections, loads of NPCs sitting in there and up to 20 human spots if you want to host a room.

Whilst it wasn't a huge enhancement, it added to the immersion of the idea and what the concept was. Almost like watching what the future of VR would be like.

With regards to blurryness, I don't wear glasses so I can't comment on that but you can buy prescription lenses to replace the Vive ones so you don't need to wear your glasses.

I have many hours clocked up on Bigscreen Beta... the only real issue with blur is when reading fine text and I didn't buy it for doing soley that. I may upgrade to a Vive Pro as it's supposed to have solved that issue and be a LOT better.

I can't wait for 4K resolution, don't even care about high framerate, 24fps @ 4K would be perfect for working / movies.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:15 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warcraft 6/10

Surprisingly un-awful. Yes, it's a film of a game, so the plot is mostly "fite", but it's decently acted, trots along at a good old pace with no slack, and the budget is all there on screen.

The CGI and live action mesh isn't seamless, and the ending is annoying given that there's unlikely to be a sequel as it absolutely bombed in the US. But Pacific Rim cost more and did worse, so you never know.

Don't go in with any expectations and it's an enjoyable enough way to squander a couple of precious, irretrievable hours of your short life.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo a Star Wars story

Not so much disappointing but a tad underwhelming. You know you had the TV series of Star Trek the next generation and then the movies, well this felt like a TV episode in the Star Wars universe. I expected it to be better. Ron Howard has directed some great films; RUSH for example. This was mediocre. 7/10

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having an individual ratings system is subjective.
One man's mediocre (5/10) is another man's (7/10).

5/10 = mediocre
6/10 = reasonable
7/10 = good
8/10 = very good
9/10 = must see
10/10 = E.T.

Anything below 5 isn't worth interslice space.

Also, I'm not averse to the odd decimal point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
New Jurassic Park film - 6/10

Total joke, nothing to do with dinosaurs any more.

Okay, it has dinosaurs in it. But it's basically a monster film where the monsters happen to be dinosaur themed.

I wouldn't give it much over 5. It's just too far fetched now. I went with wifie and it was an OK evening out in the posh seats but that was about it.

The original Jurassic Park was utterly brilliant and ground breaking. This is just an excuse for CGI.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder woman 1/10

Rubbish!

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Wonder woman 1/10

Rubbish!

I'd give her 1 too! Dance!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:54 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitedevil wrote:
I'd give her 1 too! Dance!

Urgh, no. Bland looking coat hanger. She can't act either, but that doesn't seem to be an issue if you can scowl into a wind machine in slow motion.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 films watched recently.

Gotti

John Travolta plays John Gotti, this was actually a decent film, Travolta can act and his real life wife Kelly Preston plays Gotti's wife Victoria. Enjoyable mobster flick, a solid 9/10.

Darkweb Anthology

A series of sinister short films most of which were crap. A couple were half decent but the rest felt like a reject from The Outer Limits. Not worth the effort. 2/10

Calibre

Film set in Scotland about two young Scotsmen who want to go hunting for the weekend and venture up to the Highlands. Good premise for the film, they go deer hunting and shoot a local lad by mistake and decide to bury him rather than let on what happened. The locals from the find out and set off in pursuit of the two lads to seek revenge. Real nail biting on edge of chair stuff. The only issue is the broad Scottish accent, the two lads spoke coherently but the majority spoke broad Scottish which was hard to understand. I got 1 word in every 3, still a great film. 8.5/10

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:20 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Gotti 9/10.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gotti_2018/

0% critics, 57% audience. Thinking

King29 wrote:
Highlands [...] broad Scottish

You're more likely to hear Estuary or Elbonian in the Highlands these days.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:25 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Incredibles 2 - 6/10

Not that bad, would rate higher but it's another blatant SJW feminism wretch-fest, so it can sod right off.

The first film was about a family saving the world together. This second film is about a woman smashing the patriarchy and being awesome at everything she does, while the man takes a very far back seat and fails at being a dad. Literally that's what happens. She goes off and does everything in the film, while he's at home for most of the time having a shit time dealing with the kids.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:41 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotti - 7/10

I think there's a lot of band wagon reviews for this film. It's easy for the first few to set the collective mentality for an opinion. I see it all the time on Facebook, if the first comment is highly negative, it almost sets the whole comment thread tone but if it had been highly positive, again, it sets a different tone.

That aside, I thought it was an enjoyable and well made gangster flick. Compare this to some of the tripe coming out of the UK scene and it's actually one of the better mob films.

Travolta played him well, thought it was a good performance. I think if you're familiar with the genre and history of Gotti and the other crime families, this is a great film. Knock a couple points off if you know nothing about it all.

7 Days in Entebbe - 6.5/10

Some German revolutionists took over a plane and demand prisoners be released when holed up in Entebbe Uganda for 7 days. Was quite a good film and supposedly based on true events.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han solo 6/10
I often find main actress in star wars attractive.
Daisy Ridley in last jedi, and Emilia Clarke in this film. I became a fan of Emilia Clarke Wub . Watched videos of her and noticed she acts very differently in various films. Young Han looked a little bit like Leonardo DiCaprio, but I thought his acting was good too(he doesn't look similar to original Han as critical comments says though). There are many reviews which didn't like this film, but I enjoyed this watching. Maybe because I'm not a core SW fan, and wanted to watch a simple action film today.
Personally I want to see Emilia Clarke plays in other SW films in the future just because I became a fan of her, and it looks like I can expect it

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:13 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First They Killed My Father. 8.5/10

A harrowing true account of a young girl and her urban family under the Khmer Rouge.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Gotti - 7/10

I think there's a lot of band wagon reviews for this film. It's easy for the first few to set the collective mentality for an opinion. I see it all the time on Facebook, if the first comment is highly negative, it almost sets the whole comment thread tone but if it had been highly positive, again, it sets a different tone.

That aside, I thought it was an enjoyable and well made gangster flick. Compare this to some of the tripe coming out of the UK scene and it's actually one of the better mob films.

Travolta played him well, thought it was a good performance. I think if you're familiar with the genre and history of Gotti and the other crime families, this is a great film. Knock a couple points off if you know nothing about it all.

7 Days in Entebbe - 6.5/10

Some German revolutionists took over a plane and demand prisoners be released when holed up in Entebbe Uganda for 7 days. Was quite a good film and supposedly based on true events.

Have you never seen Raid on Entebbe?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076594/

same situation.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5th Passenger

Every Trekkie's dream this, cast wise anyway.

Doug Jones - Saru from Star Trek Discovery
Tim Russ - Tuvok from Voyager
Marina Sirits - Deanna Troi STTNG
Armin Shimerman - Quark DS9

Not only did they get these fine actors together but they did it with a set in space film! Very reminiscent of the first Alien film, well scripted, well acted a definite 10/10. The bench mark has been set.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:02 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Every Trekkie's dream this, cast wise anyway. [...] a definite 10/10

Is it possible you're fanboiing a little here? The IMDB user reviews seem fairly breathless as well.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviews are opinions, nothing more nothing less. I enjoyed it and rate it 10/10.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:37 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready Player One: 4/10

Some marks gained for pop references and moderately slick production.
A lot more lost for an incongruous world. Seriously... so (spoiler) you spend a load of money on an amazing VR suit, but you don't have a standard option that turns down the 'kicked in the crotch pain' when you're about to go into a fight? And all of the rest of the glaring incongruity with the reality they present.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super troopers 2 - 6.5/10

It was good, they got all of the original cast (the main characters), there were some good old comedy bits, that you just don't see in comedies these days as well. But nothing you'd watch twice, unlike the original which is still good even after all these years.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 154 of 194