Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:22 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of films recently, so I'll try to keep this basic.

Adrift

Bloke and bird in yacht end up in a hurricane and try to get to safety. Better than expected, and the birds nipples get more screen time than most of the characters (albeit covered). 7/10

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Decent enough, I liked the special effects, the story was a bit flimsy. Interesting to see what they plan to do with the sequel. 6.5/10

Oceans 8

A lot better than expected. Not enough story / background but still fun. 7.5/10

Sicario 2

Loved the first one, and Benicio Del Toro rocks in both. Good story but could be a standalone film. Well worth a watch. 8/10

Deadpool 2

Not as good as the first, but still funny, still violent and definitely worth a watch. 8/10

Hunt For The Wilderpeople

From the director of Thor Ragnarok, with the kid from Deadpool 2 and Sam Neill. Very funny, touching film. 8/10

Solo: A Star Wars Movie

Didn't expect much from this, but I liked it. The dude who played Han was good, the story was good. Looking forward to the Boba Fett one. 7/10

The Big Short

Really interesting film about the financial crash of the late 2000's. A bit light overall, but good if that interests you. 7/10

Once Upon A Time In Venice

Bruce Willis as an ex cop / private dick trying to get his nieces dog back. Better than it sounds. 7.5/10

Public Enemies

Johnny Depp as John Dillinger. Surprisingly good. Watched it all and then started looking for biographies. 7.5/10

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:45 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Is it possible you're fanboiing a little here? The IMDB user reviews seem fairly breathless as well.

I got about half an hour in, until there was a problem with the stream/file - and happily gave up.
Wooden acting and interior sets, not at all made up for by the okay external CGI.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I got about half an hour in

Ah, there's your problem, the second half of the film was awesome and the twist at the end a real; WOW factor. Try again, you can thank me afterwards.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:54 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... was your name on the credits by any chance? Razz

Anyway, in the mean time:
Red Sparrow: 7.3/10
Not quite up to Atomic Blonde for me; but still slickly produced; a bit more stylised, though set in current day-ish.

Latest Fast and the Furious thingy: 2.1/10
Someone seems to have thought "This franchise is really a bit high brow...we better dumb it down a bit". Conveniently, that allowed them to reduce the budget too, it seems.
joombo This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extinction

A novel take on the 'Aliens come to wipe out civilisation' theme. Michael Pena plays lead, a good entertaining movie, a good twist mid-way through. A solid 8/10

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotel Transylvania 3
Poke your eyes out, puncture your eardrums and you might just be OK, alternatively just don't go. 1/10

DISCLAIMER: In my defence, I was accompanying my autistic nephew.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much a review, more of a Wow! can't wait for this to be released.

Film is based around a siege at West Hams old stomping ground green lane. It has quality actors, Brosnan, Bautista and Stevenson. Anyway, see it on a big screen if you can.

FINAL SCORE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVN4QVskNrc

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Extinction

A novel take on the 'Aliens come to wipe out civilisation' theme. Michael Pena plays lead, a good entertaining movie, a good twist mid-way through. A solid 8/10

Agreed I enjoyed it and loved the twist.

Just watched Darkest Hour. Can only give it 10 out of 10. Gary Oldman is one of the greatest actors ever and he played the part fantastically. Such a great movie,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
joombo This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:36 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Cut of the Dead:8.5/10
It was so funny Laughing . I heard audience laughing too. Albeit low budget.
This film is one of the low budget indipendent film, we can watch it only in a few theatres(I had to go to Nagoya), but this became popular by word of mouth, then on the net, and I went on Friday noon but it was filled with 100 or more audiences Shocked .
It's a zombie comedy. It's hard to explain this film without spoiler.
It's a laughable family entertaining film with low budget.

This will be on frightfest 2018 in london too(25 August 2018 Prince Charles Discovery two 1:45 PM) if you are interested.
https://www.frightfest.co.uk/2018Films/frightfest-schedule-2018.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du2XfUDfjN0
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7914416/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiplash (2014) - 8/10 Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cool

Jazz drummer student meets drill instructor type teacher, a dynamic relationship drama between student and teacher cumulates in a decently satisfying ending.

Music is good if you're high brow like wot I am.
Regardless of your musical tastes, the acting is much better than the normal Hollywood A-lister shite.

Nicholas Cage, I'm looking at you.

Last edited by Hong Kong Phooey on 11:31 - 12 Aug 2018; edited 3 times in total

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyscraper

A truly terrible film, The Rock let everyone down on this one. Not big, not clever, dumb and implausible. 1/10.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackkklansman

Bold and unapologetic, Spike Lee in fine form. Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mish Imposs. 5/10

Does his own stunts don't you know.

Bike chase scene was acceptable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPGRADE

Film by Lee Whannell (SAW fame). Interesting Deus-Ex idea of bio implants and a control chip in the brain. Twist at the end I never saw coming, Whannell is great at those. Main actor looks like Tom Hardy, good film, just over the 90 minute mark so not too long. 9/10

diesel dog
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:07 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengers: Infinity War
I'm not usually into the Marvel scene but thought this was very good.
9/10

Extinction
A bit mind numbing and slow'ish at first then the story really got going
9/10

Deadpool 2
Wasn't a fan of the first one but this was more entertaining
8/10

Oceans 8
Anything men can do, women can do better? Not on this occasion. Not much of a story although some good actors appeared in it.
6/10

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyscraper 4/10

Diehard wannabe, terrible effort, appalling acting.

Panders big style to China, based in Hong Kong with the new largest building in the world built by a super wealthy Chinese guy. Dwayne the Rock Johnson is an ex FBI gunman who lost his leg in an explosion, now trying to make it as a security advisor after setting up a company which he ran from his garage. Blatant underlying message attempting to tell the everyday American to shift their business mind to the east.

Aside from that, terrible acting from the ex wrestler, far fetched nonsense all the time, and nothing thrilling or spectacular from the bits that were supposed to be thrilling or spectacular.

Also, a side-point: I had at first forgotten the name of the film, and upon searching "The rock's new movie" I found that there has been a blatant effort to purposefully eradicate this so-called actor's old wrestling persona from any of his recent so-called acting output.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mission Impossible Fallout

Big budget, snazzy and clever as per usual. Good film, worth a watch. 9/10

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:00 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish Story (2012)

Japanese movie well regarded on the festival circuit.

It's about a Punk Rock song based on a book that was badly translated entitled 'Fish Story', as well as a comet which is coming in 2012 to destroy the earth. The punk band wrote a whole album with the title in 1975, but the title track ended up with a period of silence because the record company cut out a rant by the lead singer. Through various time periods between 1975 and 2012 a story is told about the knock on effect of this song (and the accidental but supposedly haunted moment of silence) which the band originally postulated could save the world.

The movie includes a pretty nasty rape scene, an awesome martial arts sequence, a love motel, an old man who predicted the end of the world, a girl with genuine clairvoyance and as mentioned a punk song and a comet. It's pretty weird, but it hangs together in such a nice neat way, it's immensely uplifting to watch. Not for everybody as it's in Japanese with English subtitles, but I watched it when I wasn't in a very nice place mentally and it completely transformed my mood.

If you can cope with a Japanese language movie with English subtitles, it's worth a watch.

8/10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloverfield Paradox

erm, wtf? I'd rather have watched a Zulu remake, where the Zulu's are played by smurfs, and Bungle, Zippy and George are in charge of the redoubt.

Did they just get a load of formulaic sci-fi cliches, and chuck a Godzillaesque reference in at the end, and call it Cloverfield?

I quite like Cloverfield, at the cinema, and Cloverfield Lane was okay. But, this was just tosh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 25 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer of 84 - 6.5/10

Very well made horror film, set in the 80's. They captured the atmosphere of the 80's horror films brilliantly, with unknown yet good cast the ilusion was near perfect.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Summer of 84 - 6.5/10

Very well made horror film, set in the 80's. They captured the atmosphere of the 80's horror films brilliantly, with unknown yet good cast the ilusion was near perfect.

I agree with everything apart from the rating. 8.5/10 in my book.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Skyscraper 4/10

Diehard wannabe, terrible effort, appalling acting.

Panders big style to China, based in Hong Kong with the new largest building in the world built by a super wealthy Chinese guy. Dwayne the Rock Johnson is an ex FBI gunman who lost his leg in an explosion, now trying to make it as a security advisor after setting up a company which he ran from his garage. Blatant underlying message attempting to tell the everyday American to shift their business mind to the east.

Aside from that, terrible acting from the ex wrestler, far fetched nonsense all the time, and nothing thrilling or spectacular from the bits that were supposed to be thrilling or spectacular.

Also, a side-point: I had at first forgotten the name of the film, and upon searching "The rock's new movie" I found that there has been a blatant effort to purposefully eradicate this so-called actor's old wrestling persona from any of his recent so-called acting output.

prefer anna Nicole smiths version anyway Very Happy Embarassed Embarassed

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
Summer of 84 - 6.5/10

I agree with everything apart from the rating. 8.5/10 in my book.

As a fan of the genre, I do agree and even initially wanted to give it 8/10, but then in comparison with other films that I rated this high and higher, I decided to keep it below 7/10. I mean, the ending was a bit ''cheap and lazy''.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 155 of 194