Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cured - 7/10

Good low budget Irish movie, takes a different angle with the undead/virus/zombie genre. A story of reintegration after finding a cure.

I very much enjoyed this film, even if it did go a little more traditional towards the end. Thumbs Up

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Happytime Murders. 5/10

It was funny in the same way the likes of Ted and Team America are funny but its not the sort of movie you could watch again. Basically a murder mystery with puppets and bad language. Gets 5 because it did make me laugh in places out loud
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny Cow - 2/10

I don't know how we ended up watching this dross, I think the wife thought that with the name of it, and the trailer giving some glimpses that it was going to be humerous, it was going to be a comedy of some description but what it was instead was a pile of massive 'Grim Up North' cliches with some properly weird acting, half-trodden character-filling plot lines and just general abject misery.

The premise is that a woman grows up in the grim north, gets battered around by her dad (that's also her brother, well the actor that plays both of them is - cheap or what?) and then her partner who she gets with after a whirlwind romance quite young and he turns into a wife-beating bastard. Why it was her dad beat her, who knows; why it was that her boyfriend that becomes her husband goes from nice and pretty ordinary to a nasty piece of work, who knows. I think the narrative you're supposed to take here is that all Northern men knock women around for fun whilst shouting 'make tea'. To top this off, her mother becomes an alcoholic after her dad dies, for reasons that - guess what - who knows; and her brother gets married with kids and then distances himself from her for reasons of - guess what - who knows.

To cope with all this she befriends an unfunny comedian who does stand up in the local Labour clubs (because all Northern men are working class Unionist Labour supporters with weight problems and limited intelligence, of course) and decides to follow in his footsteps to escape from her batshit life. He feels unwell, she takes to the stage, owns some fat northern heckler and everyone loves her; great times. Her friend the unfunny comedian then immediately commits suicide because, who knows. How does she feel about that? Who knows. Don't see anything of it.

So to summarise, she's a poor little girl getting beaten up who becomes a young woman who gets beaten up who becomes a woman who finds a way out of her horrible life into a new life which is still horrible and she still has no friends or family around her. Yes, it really is as comical and riveting as that sounds.

Utter shite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
joombo This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismissed 7/10
Watched it this weekend. It's about a teacher that downgrades a pupil who goes full psychotic
Overall worth watching. It's rather too short and many of the characters are wooden except Dylan Sprouse who is really convincing as the pupil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Blade

5/10

It's okay in places, I do like the "Roman soldiers meet civilization xyz" type of film, almost as much as I like the Viking versions.

But, the plot is almost non existent, and it's jumping around all over the place. Visually quite good though.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Dragon Blade

5/10

It's okay in places, I do like the "Roman soldiers meet civilization xyz" type of film, almost as much as I like the Viking versions.

But, the plot is almost non existent, and it's jumping around all over the place. Visually quite good though.

I like that sorta historical stuff so i'll give it a try. Have you been watching the Vikings series? Best thing i've seen in a while

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:15 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan Lucky

A movie that finally shows that Kylo Renn is actually a decent actor. A Steven Soderbergh heist movie but sothern fried, it tells the story of a family who attempt a heist at a NASCAR track during one of their largest events. Not what I expected at all. Slightly lacking in genuine conflict, but it's immensely funny and satisfying at the same time. Very impressed by the unknown actor Daniel Craig's turn as a safe cracker (the credits say and introducing: Daniel Craig which is pretty amusing on it's own).

Well worth a saturday night in front of the tellybox. Entertaining, funny, fast paced, satisfying. Only let down by a little lack of conflict towards the end of the second act.

8/10

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bhinso"]
thx1138 wrote:

I like that sorta historical stuff so i'll give it a try. Have you been watching the Vikings series? Best thing i've seen in a while

yeah watched them all up to Series 5 part 1. liked it a lot

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:18 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom - 5/10

Total wank. Should have just stopped with the last one as a nostalgic revisit it to park 20 years on. This was regurgitated toss.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Score

I really wanted to see this on the big screen but there were only a handful of places showing this that A: were too far away and B: The showing times were incompatible with the time I could have got there for.

I was pleased when Blu Ray rips started turning up at the usual places yesterday.

Pierce Brosnan, Dave Bautista and other famous faces. Film wise; think Van Damme's Sudden Death but with a bigger budget, sort of Die Hard in a Football Stadium. Very enjoyable film, I'd say a solid 9/10, the motorbike scenes were worth watching a few times over.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Squad 7/10

Tongue in cheek humour. Switch brain off and enjoy. Thumbs Up

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mission Impossible: Fallout - 7/10

Felt like a 90s spy/espionage/secret agent film, straight from the 90s, with actors from the 90s.

Not bad, but not exciting. A typical international spy film plot, with a few too many twists and shock-reveals that weren't actually that shocking because there was so many of them happening every other minute.

Also, fair enough, he's doing very well indeed for his advancing years, specially the parts where he's running and jumping around like a man 30 years younger than he really is, but it just seemed like I was watching a 55-year-old Tom Cruise trying very, very hard not to be the 55 year old that he is. It's pretty obvious he's done some kind of anti-aging procedure to his face, too.

A way better film involving an 'advanced years' badass would be Taken, where Liam Neeson was also 55.

Overall, 7/10, would probably watch again but not for at least a year. Might be fun to have a Mission Impossible fest and watch them all over a weekend.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond

Not even worthy of a score. I just cant find the words to describe how rubbish this movie is. Netflix thing and it should stay there and never see the light of a TV screen.

Sci fi shite. Avoid at all costs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

diesel dog
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:23 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Krays - Dead man walking

0/10

Utter shit. Don't even waste your time.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every one of them will be nothing compared to Legend

"I've come here for a good old fashioned fucking shootout!"

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 Shades of Grey: 6/10

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bit late to this one, but what a total joke.

Was that it? Was that the big film all about exploring female sexual empowerment?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Synopsis: Insecure girl meets wealthy controlling man with extremely dominant S&M fantasies, she falls in love with him and his constant attention, obviously because he's a rich fucker instead of a lowlife penniless stalker, then she realises she doesn't really want to be a sex slave and leaves him.

And that's it! Laughing!

Genuinely amazed that this film had so much feminist empowerment hype around it! Laughing !!! It's about a girl being used for sex by a weird rich man!

There are not enough Laughing faces in the world for me to express how much of a joke that film was, and how pathetic the feminist crusade was for jumping on it as an example for women to to be inspired by.

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Predator (2018) 8 / 10

cheese fest. stupid one liners, lots of ineffective gunfire, seemingly intentionally bad CGI, ridiculous plot, glaring product placement, the works.

i loved it. Thumbs Up

i think my favorite moment was when the group needed transport when stranded in an area - 51 style base and there's just a cut to them riding away on new brand new Harleys. Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first purge (4/10)

Watched it over the weekend, I've always liked the context but it just turned out into a film version of our "Black lives matter" thread.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Whiplash (2014) - 8/10 Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cool

Jazz drummer student meets drill instructor type teacher, a dynamic relationship drama between student and teacher cumulates in a decently satisfying ending.

Music is good if you're high brow like wot I am.
Regardless of your musical tastes, the acting is much better than the normal Hollywood A-lister shite.

Nicholas Cage, I'm looking at you.

Became my new goto film, if there's nothing on telly and I have 100 minutes to kill.

Couldn't tell you how many times I've watched it now, music is right up my street, I'm a drummer and JK Simmons is every overbearing, arrogant, nasty piece of shit teacher that I encountered at public school, all rolled into one.

Close to perfect in my book, almost could've been made just for me.

9.5/10

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunkirk - 5/10

Some of the boat sinking was incredible, but there was too much drivel throughout.

Opening scenes in front of UPVC clad houses and an all glass building which looked circa year 2000

The 10 minute gliding Spitfire that managed to chase after another plane, shoot it down and land. Ridiculous.

Kenneth Branagh, what was the point.

Some incredible cinematography mixed with a lot of that'll do.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is the film tread, albeit a review thread, anyone getting mega exited about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-h5F5Iw78

It is just going to be awesome.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Whiplash (2014) - 8/10 Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cool

Jazz drummer student meets drill instructor type teacher, a dynamic relationship drama between student and teacher cumulates in a decently satisfying ending.

Music is good if you're high brow like wot I am.
Regardless of your musical tastes, the acting is much better than the normal Hollywood A-lister shite.

Nicholas Cage, I'm looking at you.

Became my new goto film, if there's nothing on telly and I have 100 minutes to kill.

Couldn't tell you how many times I've watched it now, music is right up my street, I'm a drummer and JK Simmons is every overbearing, arrogant, nasty piece of shit teacher that I encountered at public school, all rolled into one.

9.5/10

I will be watching again, can't believe how far under the radar it flies.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Shaft wrote:

9.5/10

I will be watching again, can't believe how far under the radar it flies.

I only knew about it because I heard someone mention it on the radio and I thought the idea of a movie about a jazz drummer was a bit leftfield and it appealed to me.

Then a copy appeared in my local supermarket and I thought it might be worth a punt - best 3 quid I've ever spent, in fact, I'm watching it again now.

There's a few factual inaccuracies, but I can live with that, they don't take away from the story.

The only thing I'm never quite sure about is the ending - I know why they did it that way, but I can't help thinking a split second of audience reaction would've finished it off a little better.

And I guess it's under the radar because it's jazz, as Fletcher says 'and they wonder why jazz is dying' Sad

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Dunkirk - 5/10

Some of the boat sinking was incredible, but there was too much drivel throughout.

Opening scenes in front of UPVC clad houses and an all glass building which looked circa year 2000

The 10 minute gliding Spitfire that managed to chase after another plane, shoot it down and land. Ridiculous.

Kenneth Branagh, what was the point.

Some incredible cinematography mixed with a lot of that'll do.

I got bored after about 20 minutes and turned it off. Oddly enough a lot of it was filmed around Lee on the Solent and I used to watch the spitfires take off and fly past while training. That was more exciting than the actual movie turned out to be for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 156 of 194