Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Dunkirk was alright. I'm not much of a war history person though so couldn't really say if it was accurate or not. The scene with the Sptifire gliding for miles on zero fuel was stupid, for sure. Other bits were good enough for me.

Wasn't really a war film, more like a 1940s based psychological/suspense drama thing with WW2 as the backdrop, filmed almost entirely on a beach and a boat.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must preferred Darkest Hour to Dunkirk as a recent war movie.
Wish Churchill was around today, he'd have gotten us a half decent Brexit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just watched The Mercy - drama based on a true story about a an amateur sailor Donald Crowhurst. Looks like there are loads of films and programmes about it already.

But I didn't know the story behind it, so didn't realise the direction it would take, it was a tad depressing. Reminded me of All is Lost starring Robert Redford a little. Whilst All is Lost wasn't a true story, it was in my opinion the better film, there is little to no dialogue in it unlike The Mercy.

Am minded to search out more about this though, wiki suggests quite a few documentaries etc. Deep Water from 2006 is what I shall look for first online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:33 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
As this is the film tread, albeit a review thread, anyone getting mega exited about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-h5F5Iw78

It is just going to be awesome.

Looks perfectly daft, and I do like a Cohen brother's film Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the Dark

erm, it's not great, the landscape , the backdrop being hostile Alaska is done well, many films do it, and this does it well, but the plot is very patchy, even with a large dose of genre aware salt, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense and is hard to follow

not terrible though

first time that I've watched a netflix movie, and noticed a statement about product placement on the screen - I tried to spot what the products were, I presume trucks and cars loaned to them cos I didn't see anything else,

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to watch Hunter Killer tonight with the wife. She is a Gerard Butler fan, it's got Gary Oldman in it, so it might be OK?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Girl.

I'd give it 2 out of 10, but as "final girl" is itself a movie trope, I guess I can give it allowances and bump it up to 3 for being more genre than the genre. If that makes any sense at all.

Slasher film, made on the cheap, trying to be a bit Tarrentino. There were a few nice touches early on in the movie, one of the thugs was almost cool guy anti-hero as he danced out of his house with an axe.

But, it wasn't slasher enough to be a slasher film, or pychological enough to be a a thriller, or funny enough, or corny enough, it just didn't tick the right boxes. In the end it was just one long string of nods to other, better movies. Not helped by the intro and flashbacks to the mentor and her training, so you knew what was coming next, nor helped by the combat being so sub-par from someone supposedly so well trained.

Best watched as a pallet cleanser in the middle of an all night movie marathon imho, and talk amongst yourselves whilst it is on.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter Killer

Scotland's most versatile actor saves the day once again, Gerard Butler. A far fetched submarine escapade with lots of HOO RAR go marines. America saves the day and gets the girl and wins all the prizes.

From the director/producer of Fast and Furious, that should tell you everything you need to know. Total implausibility at every turn. Writer and director were both high on something when writing/formulating this.

5/10.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apostle - 2018 5/10

A Netflix british thriller/horror in the same vein as The Wicker Man.

A man goes to an island inhabited by a cult to rescue his sister who is been held for ransom.

Was OK.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 24 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter Killer.
Exactly what you expect from a submarine thriller. Worth it to wast an evening at the flicks.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 24 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hickok 4/10

Looked like a made for tv movie. Could've been an episode of Deadwood.

meh.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 02:45 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Animals - 7/10

Watched this randomly the other night and it was quite a cool film. I liked the way they cut from character to the "real" person being interviewed retrospectively. Good film.

Sicario : Day of the Soldado - 6.5/10

I had high hopes for this one based on the first one. I don't want to give anything away but it wasn't the direction I thought the film would go in based on the start of it.

A Quiet Place - ?/10

Couldn't rate it as I turned it off after 20 minutes, which is unusual for me. Based on the hype behind it, I imagine it must get better but I need a hook within the first 20 - 30 minutes.

Billionaire Boys Club - 6.5/10

Not massively keen on that lad who plays him (Kingsman guy) but the film was alright. Kevin Spacey is in it and he plays a sleezy homosexual rich dude... go figure.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:28 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

A Quiet Place - ?/10

Couldn't rate it as I turned it off after 20 minutes, which is unusual for me. Based on the hype behind it, I imagine it must get better but I need a hook within the first 20 - 30 minutes.

Where did you see it? Me and the mrs saw it at the cinema and were blown away. There was about 6 other people in there and no-one made a sound, so it really added to the atmosphere. I did wonder if it would lose something at home on a smaller screen...

Also, the first 10 minutes are brilliant (imo), with so much conveyed without a word of dialogue...

I've seen a few recently, so the highlights...

A Star Is Born

I haven't seen any of the three previous incarnations of this film, so I didn't know what to expect, but I was blown away - Lady Gaga is a much better actress than I expected, and Bradley Cooper played the grizzled alcoholic musician to perfection. I think that the film could have added a few more scenes to pad out the transition, and tightened it up in other places, but it was really well shot and directed, with a brilliant soundtrack. 9/10

A Simple Favo(u)r

Nerdy single mom (Anna Kendrick) makes friends with an enigmatic woman who then goes missing. A little bit Gone Girl, but done really well and I don't think this would have been as good without Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively (Mrs Deadpool). Tonally, it shifted a few times, but well worth a watch. 8/10

The Spy Who Dumped Me

Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon (SNL, Ghostbusters) star as a couple of friends who are on the run after Milas boyfriend is killed after being exposed as a spy. Not a bad film with some funny bits, but in comparison to films like Spy, it is a little bit lacking. 6.5/10

Searching

The asian dude from Harold and Kumar loses his wife to cancer and then his daughter goes missing. Shown in the perspective of a computer screen, with chats, emails, searches and calendars all explaining what happened. Debra Messing (Grace from Will and Grace) is really good as the police woman assigned to help find the missing daughter. Better than I expected. 8/10

Incredibles 2

The follow up to the first film continues straight after the first, and this time is all about female empowerment. Really good, and not as preachy as it sounds, although I saw the end about 2 thirds of the way through. 7.5/10

The House with The Clock In Its Walls

Not a bad kids film. Jack Black has been worse in films, and Cate Blanchett is likeable. Kept my teenager entertained. 7/10

Christopher Robin

The Batman Begins of Winnie The Pooh films for me, not as cheery as expected, although the animation/CGI was fantastic. 7/10

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King of Thieves

The story of the old gimmers who carried out the Hatton Garden Robberies. Paul Whitehouse and Ray Winstone stood out for me, decent film but darker in tone than I was expecting. 7/10

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

District 9 - 8/10

Seen it about three times now. Quite a few parts where you end up thinking, "It really wouldn't be like this in real life", but it's still a far more accurate portrayal than most when it comes to human ethnic/sectarian attitudes, segregation and all that interesting social commentary stuff.

Would really like to see a District 10.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:24 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

There was so many rumours going around about a sequel but the director never once intended a sequel. I do not think we'll see one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
District 9 - 8/10

Seen it about three times now. Quite a few parts where you end up thinking, "It really wouldn't be like this in real life", but it's still a far more accurate portrayal than most when it comes to human ethnic/sectarian attitudes, segregation and all that interesting social commentary stuff.

One of my all time favourite films District 9. Very very underrated. You really needed to see it at the cinema to appreciate it fully.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Man - 8/10. Interesting film giving the backstory to the first lunar mission right up to Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the moon. Very much an emotional rollercoaster film but when they get to the point where the lunar module starts its descent to the surface it became something else for me. I even did a buy of one of the songs on the film soundtrack.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
District 9 - 8/10

One of my all time favourite films District 9. Very very underrated. You really needed to see it at the cinema to appreciate it fully.

I enjoyed District 9, it was a modern spin on apartheid. Kill the prawn Laughing

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:34 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halloween (2018)

I think the original 1978 Halloween is one of the finest films ever released, and in Michael Myers, one of the best baddies. I even love Halloween 2. The rest of the films slowly turned MM into a joke (DRUIDS??!?), so with the news that John Carpenter was involved with this, and having seen some of the trailers I was massively looking forwards to this film. I think that is part of the problem though, I went in with massive expectations, and although the film was good, it doesn't stand up against the original.

Worth a watch, and if you've never seen the original then this would be a decent entry point. 7/10 (Original is 9.5/10)

Straight Outta Compton

Having watched The Defiant Ones on Netflix recently, and then "All eyez on me", I was interested in this. A really good film showing the rise and fall of NWA, as well as Eazy E. From what I've read, E was not as nice in real life, and there were big parts of the story that weren't in there, but I suppose the film would have been too long... Anyways, a decent film, decent soundtrack and the acting was spot on - 8/10

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:48 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, Tonya

Dramatisation of the circumstances around the assault on Nancy Kerrigan supposedly orchestrated by her rival's ex husband. Her rival being Tonya Harding. The GF and I were looking for something to watch on Amazon prime and this was the only thing we agreed on. Supposedly it's got some important historical inaccuracies, but it was immensely entertaining, and quite suspenseful in a lot of ways. You can't help but feel sorry for Tonya Harding, and her 'Bodyguard' is very much like a similarly named member of this forum, IE a fantasist. Whether or not Harding was actually involved in the crime itself against Nancy Kerrigan we'll probably never really know, but it painted a good picture of the circumstances surrounding it. Pretty decent.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I, Tonya

Dramatisation of the circumstances around the assault on Nancy Kerrigan supposedly orchestrated by her rival's ex husband. Her rival being Tonya Harding. The GF and I were looking for something to watch on Amazon prime and this was the only thing we agreed on. Supposedly it's got some important historical inaccuracies, but it was immensely entertaining, and quite suspenseful in a lot of ways. You can't help but feel sorry for Tonya Harding, and her 'Bodyguard' is very much like a similarly named member of this forum, IE a fantasist. Whether or not Harding was actually involved in the crime itself against Nancy Kerrigan we'll probably never really know, but it painted a good picture of the circumstances surrounding it. Pretty decent.

I saw that when flipping through Prime but didn't really fancy it. I'll give it a go after you saying that. Wifey would probably enjoy it. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo. A Star Wars Story.

Oh dear, and I paid to watch that. Crying or Very sad

I suppose it was OK but Harrison Ford is Hans Solo. It didn't work for me, Thumbs Down 5/10.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:38 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Solo. A Star Wars Story.

Oh dear, and I paid to watch that. Crying or Very sad

I suppose it was OK but Harrison Ford is Hans Solo. It didn't work for me, Thumbs Down 5/10.

Hans, Bubbie! I'm your white knight!

https://filmschoolrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/1xS2XladyuA4jMAfFo5mWcA-768x383.jpeg

Last edited by MarJay on 13:36 - 30 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:12 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon - 7/10

I was browsing things to watch and was like, errrr what? Surely they haven't remade Papillon!? Sure as fuck, they have and I had no idea it even existed until last night. As a huge fan of the original, I grabbed it and put it straight on.

It was really good. Anything I see Charlie Hunman in, I immediately think, "This is going to be shit". Then I saw Rami Malek (Mr Robot) as his best friend Diego and was sold.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 169 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 157 of 194