Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:42 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castaway - 8/10

As with most of the stuff I'm watching lately, this isn't a new film to me. Good film, will probably watch more times in future.

(Although, let's face it. Being lost that long, he would have died so many times it's just stupid. And it isn't really a film, it's a FedEx advert.)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Castaway - 8/10

As with most of the stuff I'm watching lately, this isn't a new film to me. Good film, will probably watch more times in future.

(Although, let's face it. Being lost that long, he would have died so many times it's just stupid. And it isn't really a film, it's a FedEx advert.)

I'm sure I read somewhere that FedEx didn't pay anything for that Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They Shall Not Grow Old - worth a watch, it's Peter Jackson's film adding colour to old WW1 footage, so rather than soldiers walking around at a funny speed, you get to see facial expressions etc., most of which are smiling and waving at the camera but some convey the horrors they were going through.

The colour bit starts about 25 mins in (I was a bit confused at first), it probably could have done with starting there as an hour would have been about right. It's very strange seeing what looks like any other war movie, but with real people dying Confused

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:01 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot Em Up (2007) 8/10

Missed this when it first came out and only just got around to watching it, despite friends raving about it at the time.
A slightly stylised generic action film poking fun at it's self.
Well crafted and amusing enough.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:21 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tickled (2016) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5278506/

"David Farrier, a New Zealand pop cultural reporter whose story subjects often verge into the bizarre, believes he's found his next story when he stumbles across an online video on the world of competitive endurance tickling, a sport where the participants, with hands and feet tied down, are tickled for as long as they can endure. Participants are flown to Los Angeles first class, paid $1,500, and put up for four nights in a luxury hotel. Suitable participants are deemed to be younger, muscular males. The event is held on a monthly basis. In contacting the organizers, US-based Jane O'Brien Media, via their popular Facebook page to arrange for an interview, David receives a return message from one of their representatives, Debbie J. Kuhn, declining the offer, the message a homophobic rant largely against David.

However, the documentary eventually morphs from the sport of competitive endurance tickling into the mysterious world of Jane O'Brien and Debbie Kuhn, especially: as they seem to have unlimited resources both to hold the events and to conduct their online harassment they learn not only of David, but of former associates who now seem to want to distance themselves from the "sport" and Jane O'Brien Media; as Jane and Debbie initiate legal action and threaten even more legal action, and issue general threats time and time against David and Dylan not only for this unauthorized documentary but for their activities toward Jane O'Brien Media as a whole; and as no one seems to know who Debbie or Jane are, even the people that work for them, or what their end goal is, namely what will be done with the resulting videos of the competitions, which populate the Internet. The story takes a further twist when David and Dylan learn there truly is a tickling sexual fetish subculture, one within that community, Richard Ivey, who willingly talks to David and who remembers someone else online decades ago within the community with a similar M.O. to Debbie and Jane."

Download links: https://kat.unblocked.gdn/katsearch/page/1/tickled%202016

I give this documentary film a score of wtf out of ten. You should watch it. Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohemian Rhapsody. 10/10.
I'm too emotional for a proper review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlaw King 6/10 - Netflix trying to get in on the GoT action, with Young Captain Kirk, Grown-up kick-ass boy and oh no... one of the main characters from Game of Thrones Smile The battle scenes were good, the soundtrack was good, I rather enjoyed it but it seems to be getting shit reviews.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Outlaw King 6/10 - Netflix trying to get in on the GoT action, with Young Captain Kirk, Grown-up kick-ass boy and oh no... one of the main characters from Game of Thrones Smile The battle scenes were good, the soundtrack was good, I rather enjoyed it but it seems to be getting shit reviews.

I think it was OK film. I watched it on Friday. I would give it 6/10 too.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:54 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venom 6/10

Don't even know where to begin, it was that bad.

Okay, it was a reasonable film to watch once, as far as time-passing entertainment goes, but it was clearly nothing other than 2018's lead-up-to-christmas blockbuster, and not a good one either.

Tom Hardy does a very good job as an American loser-who-isn't-a-loser-but-the-film-tries-to-tell-us-he-is, and, well that's it. The plot has a stupid basis, and barely ever gets off the ground, then suddenly it's over.

I won't add a spoiler by explaining the story of who/what Venom is, either. For those who have read the comics (I haven't), I'd really like to know if Venom's back-story is the same as the movie potrays, because it's just rubbish.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:57 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I won't add a spoiler by explaining the story of who/what Venom is, either. For those who have read the comics (I haven't), I'd really like to know if Venom's back-story is the same as the movie potrays, because it's just rubbish.

Venom's back story is part of a Spider Man story. Spider Man manages to lose the symbiote after he realised it was turning him just a little bit evil. But then Spider Man's greatest journalistic enemy, Eddie Brock somehow gets the symbiote attached to him instead. Because the Symbiote knows the true identity of Spider Man, Eddie now does too and so does his alter ego Venom.

I doubt the movie goes through all this because they don't have the rights to Spider Man.

I think the idea in the comics was that Eddie Brock was a gym bro with some decent level of strength, and that with the symbiote and it's ability to spoof Spider man's powers he was supposed to be more than a match for our Friendly Neighborhood wall crawler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:48 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of hours free on Friday, waiting for the Mrs. Watched A Star Is Born again. Such a good film, and massively surprised by both Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Venom's back story is part of a Spider Man story. Spider Man manages to lose the symbiote after he realised it was turning him just a little bit evil. But then Spider Man's greatest journalistic enemy, Eddie Brock somehow gets the symbiote attached to him instead. Because the Symbiote knows the true identity of Spider Man, Eddie now does too and so does his alter ego Venom.

I doubt the movie goes through all this because they don't have the rights to Spider Man.

I think the idea in the comics was that Eddie Brock was a gym bro with some decent level of strength, and that with the symbiote and it's ability to spoof Spider man's powers he was supposed to be more than a match for our Friendly Neighborhood wall crawler.

Not sure if I've missed something here, but the story you've outlined there is nothing like the story given in the Venom movie.

Venom backstory from the film Spoiler: First we're told Venom is a symbiote that has been constructed by an evil genetic mega-corp of some kind, but later we find the symbiotes are actually an alien race that put themselves on earth, and there are several of them (three feature in the film), all wanting to destroy the planet. Eddie Brock (an all-round good guy news reporter) ends up infected with a symbiote, then for some reason the symbiote becomes a good symbiote and it wants to help Eddie save earth because..., "I'm a loser on my own planet, and you, Eddie, are a loser on earth, so let's team up and save the world!" Laughing !!!!!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:01 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Not sure if I've missed something here, but the story you've outlined there is nothing like the story given in the Venom movie

I said why, it's because the makers of the Venom movie don't have the rights to show Spider Man.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Err... no. It's not a /bad/ movie, and it does illicit some level of emotion, but there's no real story other than 'successful band is successful by being quirky' and 'quirky singer dies'.

It's missing a decent chunk of either real story, or stylisation to make it more coherent as a narrative.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
recman wrote:

Err... no. It's not a /bad/ movie, and it does illicit some level of emotion, but there's no real story other than 'successful band is successful by being quirky' and 'quirky singer dies'.

It's missing a decent chunk of either real story, or stylisation to make it more coherent as a narrative.

I didn't want a rockumentary. I followed them reasonably closely over the years to be able to fill in the gaps.
I dare say that another film could be made using just the story about the film scores they did.
I think you'd need a six hour film to cover everything.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I said why, it's because the makers of the Venom movie don't have the rights to show Spider Man.

Spiderman 3 was a massive disappointment as well (the Venom one), it somehow passed me buy, then I picked it up new on blu-ray in Poundland... and felt ripped off Very Happy

Most of the Spiderman films have been shit, the only one I liked was the first one back in 2002 with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst (when she was still hot).

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:56 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Black Hawn Down - 8/10
Well, it certainly is one of the better ones. Still has a few annoying yeehaw America parts, but overall it's a good watch.

agree, one of my fav war films.

(true story, limited artistic changes to the book as i read it.
altered the way americans viewed war, on a much smaller scale to vietnam, but still changed the mentality..at the time )

weird to see pakistani army coming to the americans rescue.

Decent acting, and i also spotted a few of the stars who went on to other things.

i think eric banas attitude to it all, just summed it all up for me.

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:06 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Jayy wrote:
Papillon - 7/10
"This is going to be shit". Then I saw Rami Malek (Mr Robot) as his best friend Diego and was sold.

Because of your review I decided to watch this remake....

I ended up skipping through most of it as it was a pile of crap compared to the original. I.... at least in the original Steve McQueen looked close to death when he was dragged out

Cheers Jayy, will give that ago at some point

and polar bear, have to agree, book started slowly for me, but once it got started, outstanding.

and McQueen and Hoffman, defo looked the worst for wear in most of that movie, andyM

I think, looking back the 'Just out of solitary, look seemed to be a one McQueen did well

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:50 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commando

My local cinema does classic film nights, so I took my dad to watch a film that we watched when I was a little kid. Mid 80's, awful soundtrack, abysmal acting, shameful script and it was loud enough to give me tinnitus for the rest of the night, but overall, it was brilliant. My dad hasn't been to the cinema since 1995, and he was walking around like a kid seeing new stuff. Prime Arnie, lots of guns and fighting, classic one-liners... 8/10 for the experience of seeing it in a cinema alone.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:01 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Commando

My local cinema does classic film nights, so I took my dad to watch a film that we watched when I was a little kid. Mid 80's, awful soundtrack, abysmal acting, shameful script and it was loud enough to give me tinnitus for the rest of the night, but overall, it was brilliant. My dad hasn't been to the cinema since 1995, and he was walking around like a kid seeing new stuff. Prime Arnie, lots of guns and fighting, classic one-liners... 8/10 for the experience of seeing it in a cinema alone.

CBFcarl, remember when I said I was gonna kill you last? I lied.

Wink

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:30 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindalwald

This felt like some anti "mpd72/alt right" propaganda with Johnny Depp playing Tommy Robinson.

The main actor has an irritating style of speaking but apart from that it was OK. Wouldn't recommend and will not watch ever again. 5/10

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppermint

Jennifer Garner goes all Rambo on a drug cartel and corrupt police and prosecutors that killed her family and subsequently saw them not being tried/convicted correctly.

From the director of Taken. It was OK, if you enjoyed Taken and films like The Long Kiss Goodnight; then this is for you. 8/10

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Not sure if I've missed something here, but the story you've outlined there is nothing like the story given in the Venom movie

Right, but that doesn't explain the utterly rubbish alternative story they invented for the sake of making a movie with the Venom character.

Could have been the Venom everyone expects, minus Spiderman.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 9/10

I really enjoyed this collection of tales from the Old West by the Coen brothers.
A real mix of fortunes for the brilliantly acted characters with some absolutely stunning scenery.
A little gem on Netflix.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching 4.5/10 - young Sulu's daughter goes missing and he sets about doxxing the f**k out of her. It felt a little bit like Unfriended: Dark Web but for PG audiences. It wasn't bad but there wasn't anything particularly original or memorable about it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 159 of 194