Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.5/10 The Sapphires

An Australian film made in 2012 about a 1960s "indigenous" girl-band and how they end up touring Vietnam for the troops.

Quite funny, sorta The Supremes, only there's four of em, with Aussie accents, nice feelgood film.

Wub

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony 2009 film.

This was seriously fucked up. Dude is a benefit wallah and has been for 19 years, he looks and acts a bit noncy and hobbies include watching 80's action films on VHS as he does not have a DVD player and killing people and cutting them up in bits in his bathroom. Oh and if the corpse is fresh he'll sleep next to it in the bed.

Amazon prime you suprised me. My wife stated "And what is this shit that we are watching?". I'd give it 5/10, Ricky Grovenor stole the only good scene in the film. Here is the clip and the whole film.

https://youtu.be/-qP3aJYPhp4?t=197

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winchester 6.5/10

The story of winchester house, the house built by the eir of the winchester repeating arms company.

Its a bit of a horror/supernatural thriller and apprently based on a real house in San Jose, which is apprently the most haunted house in america

It wasn't terrible

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:00 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid 90's - 7/10

I started watching Replicas but I got such a cheesey vibe from Keeanu's wooden acting at the start of the film, I turned it off. Ended up watching Mid 90's instead...

I saw that it was directed by Jonah Hill (maybe his debut?) and whacked it on for 10 mins and I was hooked. A coming of age story about the struggles of a group of skateboarders growing up in America. One of the kids is an actual pro skateboarder ( maybe the other too ) in real life so there was some cool skateboarding tricks in there too.

I do like the way it wasn't completely full of OMG 90s NOSTALGIA everywhere. It was done well.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Winchester 6.5/10

The story of winchester house, the house built by the eir of the winchester repeating arms company.

Its a bit of a horror/supernatural thriller and apprently based on a real house in San Jose, which is apprently the most haunted house in america

It wasn't terrible

I'd agree with this, I enjoyed it but it was not scary at all, once or twice there was a good jump scare but thats all it was. I was expecting eerie or spooky but it was in your face "BOO!" that did make me jump once or thrice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Tony 2009 film.

This was seriously fucked up. Dude is a benefit wallah and has been for 19 years, he looks and acts a bit noncy and hobbies include watching 80's action films on VHS as he does not have a DVD player and killing people and cutting them up in bits in his bathroom. Oh and if the corpse is fresh he'll sleep next to it in the bed.

Amazon prime you suprised me. My wife stated "And what is this shit that we are watching?". I'd give it 5/10, Ricky Grovenor stole the only good scene in the film. Here is the clip and the whole film.

https://youtu.be/-qP3aJYPhp4?t=197

Was that an attempted eye gouge? Confused

Jayy wrote:
Mid 90's - 7/10

I started watching Replicas but I got such a cheesey vibe from Keeanu's wooden acting at the start of the film, I turned it off. Ended up watching Mid 90's instead...

I saw that it was directed by Jonah Hill (maybe his debut?) and whacked it on for 10 mins and I was hooked. A coming of age story about the struggles of a group of skateboarders growing up in America. One of the kids is an actual pro skateboarder ( maybe the other too ) in real life so there was some cool skateboarding tricks in there too.

I do like the way it wasn't completely full of OMG 90s NOSTALGIA everywhere. It was done well.

It was alright for an arthouse type film. It was impressive how it genuinely felt 90s, probably cos of the aspect ratio/old film, and normally with 'period' films they mess up and have a modern building or car in shot but I didn't spot any Thumbs Up

Good but not great, 5/10 from me.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Was that an attempted eye gouge? Confused

Probably, the barman saved him though.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willow - 8/10

Forgot this film existed. Great little adventure full of non-SJW baggage that you'd never see today.

A community of dwarfs stumble upon a human baby which needs to be taken back to the humans, and they find that the baby is magic and will possibly save the realm.

The human characters in the film call all the dwarfs 'peck' as a derogatory term, and there's distinct non-SJW gender references with statements like, "Looking after babies is for women, us men are going into battle!"

It just felt like a fun film that nobody would ever think to make these days.

Also fantastic was the total lack of CGI (obviously, because it's quite old), which I think is better in most films. You can almost always tell when CGI has been used. Willow uses clever filming and a couple of animatronic bits which are just more pleasnat to watch, specially when so many effects are required because it's a fantasy film.

Good watch, anyway.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:50 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point Break (the new one) - 7.3/10
Most of those points for accuracy of the sports - from the aspects I know about (I know less about sea stuff, but also seemed quite reasonable) it was really quite well done - ie the bikes generally acted like bikes act, to go rock climbing they used actual rock climbing techniques, as well as turning up with real climbing shoes and chalk bags.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego Batman Movie. 6/10

I don't know why I watched it either, Christmas day post dinner kind of thing but it made me chuckle more times
than it should have. There were a lot of little lols, among them I noticed a reg plate on Alfreds car that said Wayne
Car
and the dialogue when Bruce Wayne first meets Robin was funny.

Quote:
"Dick" - My name's Richard Grayson, but all
the kids at the orphanage call me Dick.
"Bruce" - Well, children can be cruel.

Laughing It's on NOW TV if anyone fancies giving it a chance.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They shall not grow old - 8/10

War stories told right.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bird Box 6/10
Strange apocalypse movie, where if people look at the entity they kill themselves Sandra Bollock getting by with 2 sprogs in tow, it flicks between the present and the past to show how she got there. Sandra Bollock looks rough in it.

The Circle 5/10
Emma Watson starts working at a social media/tech company, gets indoctrinated into their way of thinking.
feels like its should be a warning about the pervasive nature of social media and technology, makes you think but its otherwise its distinctly average and with a fairly obvious plot.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holmes and Watson - 3/10

I am a huge fan of John C and Will F but this was just terrible. Just a bad script I think because it had good actors but the story was boring and predictable and the jokes were just poor. 3/10 because there were some brief funny moments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Sandra Bollock looks rough in it.

She was also outacted by a 5 year old Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr and Mrs Smith

Well there was nothing else on ... Shifty

Was alright, but I didn't even watch to the end cos its American and all their films always have happy endings.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Mr and Mrs Smith

Well there was nothing else on ... Shifty

Was alright, but I didn't even watch to the end cos its American and all their films always have happy endings.

They get divorced Crying or Very sad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but they're both still alive enough to do so, right?

Divorce is only bad if one party doesn't learn from the lesson.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:13 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late to the party but Deadpool 2.

Who said it was as good as one? Was it bollox.

Maybe a 6/10 but no more. Was not impressed,. Mad

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Bird Box 6/10
Strange apocalypse movie, where if people look at the entity they kill themselves Sandra Bollock getting by with 2 sprogs in tow, it flicks between the present and the past to show how she got there. Sandra Bollock looks rough in it.

I think there needs to be a new film genre: Netflix Film.

Every single one is the same as all the rest. Low quality American idea of what a film should be. A half-arsed copy of what some of the good films do.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking something along those lines last night while watching another netflix film. They alll seem to have a generic averageness about them

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's advertised as a 'Netflix original' I absolutely will not watch it.

Having said that...

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. 8/10

Interactive film where you choose the outcome. A bit like the older Goosebumps 'reader beware, you choose the scare' thing, but it's not a childish horror story, it's a sci-fi psychological Black Mirror topic as one would expect.

Not a hugely exciting storyline, but very fun to feel slightly involved. Very cleverly made; it isn't possible to make a 'wrong' choice and cut the film time in half. Hard to really explain any of it. Fun to watch anyway.

A Netflix film (written by Charlie Brooker).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Watched it last night, tried a few endings. Well worth a go. Thumbs Up

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Bandersnatch, enjoyed it 8/10.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah so I did Bandersnatch followed by Birdbox.

I got annoyed at having to keep making choices in Bandersnatch. it did have a cool feel to it, because you could feel the choices becoming more ... intrepid ... as the film progressed. Although it was kind of fun telling him to chop dad up - although I did not choose that option first, cos it would be way too messy, psychologically for the poor boy Laughing (6/10)

Birdbox was okay, I am quite fond of apocalyptic survival films, this one had a 28 days Later-ish feel to it. I quite liked the denouement of the place they were getting to. Of course that's the kind of place it would be. Of course. Why didn't I think of that right from the beginning Laughing (7.5/10)

Plus the blindfolds thing lends it a certain ... vulnerability aspect that I am personally intrigued by. If I were deviant (which you all know I am not) then I might explore blindfolds and the way they make you feel.

Laughing
Laughing
Laughing

Laughing
Laughing
Laughing

Whaaat?
*attempts to look innocent*

Last edited by hellkat on 20:45 - 31 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

War of the Worlds 8/10

The Spielberg version, with Tom Cruise.
A spur-of-the-moment decision to stay up and watch was nicely rewarded Smile

Actually, I often get bored with late night movies and give up before the end, but this had my attention throughout. With some suspenseful moments, I wanted to see what would happen next.

It made a change seeing Tom Cruise in non-hero mode too (American standard-format hero movies nearly always bore me).

The ending was a bit anti-climatical, but by then I was ready for bed anyway, so it worked out well watching it when I did.

The Descent 6/10

Finally succumbed and watched this caving horror flick. Chicks were nice Smile But quite well acted too, realistically so. It was ok, wouldn't exactly make a point of watching it, but not the worst horror flick I've ever seen. I don't really expect a great plot in this genre.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 162 of 194