Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
"The Social Dilemma", on Netflix. 8/10

Interestinggggggg.

"Why you should stop using ALL FORMS of social media and have a less internetty life"

It was hard to concentrate on the mature boardroom lady.
Her hair was too fabulous, I had to stop myself from fixating on it, so I could listen to what she was saying.

And that guy with the dreads ... verging on the freaky, dude.
(but really ... fascinating! Like a tarantula, so ghastly its impossible to take your eyes off him while he tells you about reality he reckons you should be afraid of)

So its more than just chewing gum for the brain, and yet not quite into the conspiracy theory spectrum.

I guess that's what they're expecting me to put, anyway.

But yeah. Watch it.
And decide what you are gonna do about it.

The tech experts all seem reluctant to let their children be drawn into technology at all. Strange that ...

I was expecting you to say because you were looking at Failbook Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Last Breath" 9/10

Docudrama on Netfllix about a North Sea deep-sea diving accident. I came across this by good fortune; it caught my eye as as I do a bit of diving. It's a part reconstruction and part actual footage of an incident which took place a few years ago, interspersed with some talking heads of the people involved. I reckon it's the most suspenseful film I've ever watched - at least, I can't think of anything which has had me more on the edge of my seat.

A must-see (and for what its worth 'er indoors, who has zero interest in diving, totally agrees).

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched that social media documentary again today, stop started it, rewound, listened, looked people up.

Fascinating.

I think I'll go and watch dystopian films with Russian hardbass backgrounds and see if I can mellow out a bit.
Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not out yet but I saw a trailer for "The Father" which looks very good. Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman so you'd expect quality.

What seems to be particularly good is that it portrays the mind of someone suffering from dementia from their point of view, them trying to rationalize what's going on in their decaying brain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:16 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm

On Amazon Prime and torrent sites now.

No review because I've just started watching it. Razz

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm halfway through watching Soylent Green with Charlton Heston Cool

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm

On Amazon Prime and torrent sites now.

No review because I've just started watching it. Razz

5/10

A sprinkle of funny moments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I regret ruining the ending for that by reading a lot about the film before I watched it. Worst part was I mentioned to my brother he should watch it and for some stupid reason told him how it ended because I thought everyone already knew Laughing It's an amazing film though.

The Irishman 6/10
Finally got around to watching this and I just dont get the point of it. The scenes with them being young still looked like they were 40 and all the physical fight scenes gave it away instantly. The story also drags on way too long and most of the time I was wondering what the hell the plot was. Like most people it took me a couple of sittings to get through the whole thing, which says it all really as I've had no problem sitting through other 3.5 hour long films.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:40 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enola Holmes 9/10

Lighthearted breezy adaptation of a book series about Sherlock Holmes' younger sister. It's so good and it's good because of Millie Bobby Brown who is just *chefs kiss* in this. Henry Cavill is great as Sherlock and so on. The whole thing is just awesome from start to finish. More of a family movie than anything but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm - DNF (score)

I very much enojed the first Borat movie when it was released. The new one? Well, perhaps I'm getting too old for this kind of humor, or I just had higher expectations. To be fair, there were a few funny bits, but all and all, I basically skipped through the film.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:13 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien but at the cinema. Brilliant on a big screen so if you get the chance go for it.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:16 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
hellkat wrote:

I regret ruining the ending for that by reading a lot about the film before I watched it. Worst part was I mentioned to my brother he should watch it and for some stupid reason told him how it ended because I thought everyone already knew Laughing It's an amazing film though.

Think, Nightingale hospital and free meals for poor families kids. 1+1= Shocked

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:44 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Alien but at the cinema. Brilliant on a big screen so if you get the chance go for it.

i remember seeing this at cinema when first came out.

Was very impressed by weavers cotton pant clad pubic mound displayed ten foot tall on screen.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue 8/10

Pretty good. Group of Mercenaries rescue white girls kidnapped for slavery in Africa, only to hide out at an abandoned Lion Farm.

The Lions looked pretty unrealistic, but of course the biggest lie was the idea that slaves would be taken by entities other than the British Empire.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppermint
Bereft mum Jennifer Garner turns into Sarah Connor and takes on the cartel who killed her [innocent] family.

Typical shoot/stab/hack them up, they stand back up again and run after you with a glock and an Uzi kind of adventure movie, but enjoyable.

7 out of 10

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Got a chance to watch Alien 1 and 2 back to back at the cinema a few years ago. It was a long time to stay in a cinema, but the best film experience I've ever had. I'm waiting for a cinema near me to reshow Predator next.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love going to the cinema. And nowadays I understand the people who want to sit RIGHT UP THE FRONT Cool

The one thing I regret not seeing - yet - on a big screen is Cliffhanger, with Stallone.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford v Ferrari (aka Le Mans 66) 9/10

Carroll Shelby stuck in the middle between Henry Ford II and Ken Miles.
Well worth a look.
Its not about the cars, its about the personalities.
Great little film.
Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby, Christian Bale as Ken Miles.
Cool

Also, we then followed that up with Martian, because we decided to keep doing Matt Damon.
That was also good, if slightly unbelievable.
But hey, its Space, who knows what could happen Out There.
8/10

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unacknowledged - 8/10

I love a good conspiracy yarn. I believe.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:51 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Ford v Ferrari (aka Le Mans 66) 9/10

Carroll Shelby stuck in the middle between Henry Ford II and Ken Miles.
Well worth a look.
Its not about the cars, its about the personalities.
Great little film.
Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby, Christian Bale as Ken Miles.
Cool

Also, we then followed that up with Martian, because we decided to keep doing Matt Damon.
That was also good, if slightly unbelievable.
But hey, its Space, who knows what could happen Out There.
8/10

Le Mans 66 is ace. First time I've found Matt Damon actually likeable. The main unbelievable part about the Martian is that the US government would spend billions of dollars to rescue one man.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only just starting to recognise Matt Damon in things.
Apparently he was in all the Bourne things (?) but I never watched those as I couldn't cope with the double-double agent-agent thing.
He reminds me of the guy who plays Dexter.

Mind you, I am only just starting to know who a whole bunch of actors are, all those of a certain age (like, younger than Leonardo di Caprio), I often have no idea who they are.
And the women even less so.
I have to watch Graham Norton so that I know who all these people are Rolling Eyes
Ryan who? oh, himmmmmm Thinking

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscle. 8/10.

Shot entirely in monochrome, stars Craig big geezer Fairbrass as Terry a gym junkie who is into lots of naughty things; just stereotypically like all his character portrayals are.

Then there is Simon, a hen pecked call centre worker who has a shit job and failing marriage. Simon joins the gym, meets Terry who trains him and manipulates him. Simons wife walks out, Terry moves in as a lodger (help pay the mortgage) etc.

Things turn sinister, just as you would expect it to. A good film, plenty of twists and turns. Set in Mackem land. A good flick, worth a rewatch.

Trailer. https://youtu.be/yJLKaqlRmic?t=1

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillbilly Elergy - 8/10.

I only found this film because it was mentioned as an opposite example within the review comments of The Aeronauts (which is something my wife wants to watch). The Aeronauts has a cracking Rotten Tomatoes score from the critics but the audience score is abysmal - why? Because they rewrote history to take the heroic man out of the equation and plonked a fictional women in there instead, because diversity. Anyway...

Hillbilly Elergy got absolutely panned by the critics - a score of ~25% on Rotten Tomatoes. But the audience score is in the 80's, so what do?

Well I investigated and found this sort of response to it:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/03/hillbilly-elegy-netflix-uses-personal-experience-promote-stale-bootstrap-nonsense

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/hillbilly-elegy-review-jd-vance-memoir-adaptation-netflix-director-cast-oscars-b1721500.html

Yes, it's fair to say that the lefties didn't warm to it.

Well, I watched it and thought it was excellent. It's a Ron Howard film with a Hans Zimmer soundtrack - that's always a good start. It is gritty to watch and has an authentic feeling - Howard doesn't overdo the messaging by any stretch, it's not a political film, but it promotes the general ethos that you have to take personal responsibility for your position in life and with hard work and good choices you can escape the destitution. I can see why those that feel the Govt needs to step in to save people from themselves wouldn't like it.

For me, it resonated. Especially towards the end where the lead character essentially 'cleaves' from his mother to do what's right by him in the long term so that he can do more for the family over the long run. Having done similar with my parents, although not to the same gritty degree, I could relate to it massively.

Some great casting and stellar performances throughout. A tough but involving watch.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Mans with Steve McQueen
Cool

Rush, about James Hunt and Niki Lauda
Brilliant.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 16 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I only found this film because it was mentioned as an opposite example within the review comments of The Aeronauts (which is something my wife wants to watch). The Aeronauts has a cracking Rotten Tomatoes score from the critics but the audience score is abysmal - why? Because they rewrote history to take the heroic man out of the equation and plonked a fictional women in there instead, because diversity. Anyway...

So we got around to watching this....

The Aeronauts - 4/10

The true story can be found here:
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160419-the-victorians-who-flew-as-high-as-jets

I wanted to watch this in the spirit of trying to ignore the fact they wrote out the important guy - Henry Coxwell, who saved both their lives in reality - with a woman for the sake of the movie's interest levels. It was, of course, tough to do but I did my best to appreciate it for what it is. Given the hype the critics piled into their reports - such as this little gem:
Quote:
Flamboyantly cinematic, epic on a scale as vast as the sky itself, director Tom Harper's airborne yarn about a history-making 1862 balloon flight offers more authentic thrills than a dozen Marvel movies.

So what did I make of it? Well, this one was more accurate:
Quote:
The Aeronauts is more than content in being that breed of film that you can rely upon on a rainy Sunday afternoon, one which will quite happily trade on period drama cliches

It's London in the 1860's and a dude obsessed with the science of weather prediction meets a girl who's obsessed with flying a balloon cos reasons - we never really get to find out the reasons other than she had a husband that also did it but he's dead now (no spoilers here). We get a bit more of why James Glashier likes his science as there's a heartwarming scene with him and his dad, his dad being aged and going into dementia, where James is seen by his father as the 10 year old he once was in his observatory. But ultimately, the two main characters - nay, the only characters really, given the airborne nature of the adventure - are just bashed together out of necessity rather than chemistry.

There are a couple of other characters - Robert Glenister doing a decent job of being the old hard lined b'stard that's paid for the trip and that means they're jolly well going up there regardless of what the weather does; and Hamish Patel (who just turns up in everything period drama at the moment, for reasons of I can only imagine diversity where none would have existed) as the plucky supportive best friend of James who ultimately becomes the convincer when Emily - the balloon pilot - decides she doesn't want to take to the sky after all because suspense and drama. Otherwise it's pretty much the James and Emily show.

And that's a problem because ultimately, both are unlikeable. James is stuffy and boring to start with, then turns into a dick mid flight, then goes into some sort of philosopher mode, and then has his shot as saving the day to become the hero. To be fair to James, the script doesn't portray it brilliantly but the reason he becomes a bit of a dick is from altitude sickness / lack of oxygen but it doesn't come across very sincerely at all. Meanwhile, Emily goes from being a drunk down and out, to a loud brash circus performer, to bossy megabitch, to unbelievably strong and robust heroine character, to being emotional wreck, and then of course in the last action being the heroine saviour again as they couldn't let James have the last moment like that, after building the film up all the way through to bang the 'women can do anything' drum.

Ultimately, it wasn't the fact they've rewritten history that bothered me, it was the unbelievable number of times they had to squeeze in something cringeworthily 'man bad woman good' - it's incredible how they've managed it. In fact, it's a bit like the Life of Brian:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PObBA2wH5l0/hqdefault.jpg

Quote:
Francis: I think Judith's point of view is valid here, Reg, provided the
Movement never forgets that it is the inalienable right of every
man--
Stan: Or woman.
Francis: Or woman...to rid himself--
Stan: Or herself.
Reg: Or herself. Agreed. Thank you, brother.
Stan: Or sister.
Francis: Thank you, brother. Or sister. Where was I?
Reg: I thought you'd finished.
Francis: Oh, did I? Right.
Reg: Furthermore, it is the birthright of every man ...
Stan: Or woman.

Seriously. From the vaguely credible 'we're higher than any man OR WOMAN has ever been to the outright preposterous 'find some other madman to get in a balloon with you...... Or a woman' Laughing This was on top of the scenes where Emily just goes strolling through Greenwich and of course you get the nasty man-bad 'you shouldn't be here because you're a woman!' to which she responds 'whatever, whatever, I do what I want cos I'm a strong independent woman'. You get the picture.

It just felt so utterly fake. The characters are weak, the script not very credible, the 'adventures' manufactured and all of the ways in which the director has tried to increase the threat level to bring on the action / suspense are just so transparent. Right down to the will they won't they become romantically involved.

With that said, it's an easy Sunday afternoon watch if you're so inclined to just watch a film for the sake of watching it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 180 of 194