Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:54 - 16 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adjustment Bureau 4.5/10

All premise, not a lot else. Redeemed a bit by Emily Blunt, but not a lot. Matt Damon still not very likeable in this.

The Santa Clause 7/10

Better than I thought it would be. Turns into a different movie in the second act where the mom and stepdad think the kid is having a psychotic break or something in that he believes in Santa Claus and the North pole. Still, switch your brain off and it's entertaining.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 7.5/10

Again, better than I thought it would be, not really much more than a bunch of Christmas themed sketches loosely drawn together to form some level of plot. That doesn't really detract from the film as it's still funny and clips along at a decent rate. Doesn't really fall flat anywhere but not the absolute side splitter that some would have you believe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 18 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding your Feet (9/10)
Celia Imrie, Imelda Staunton and Timothy Spall
Oldperson rom-com but with a really excellent feelgood factor.

Posh rich woman has to rebuild her life following marital-crisis and has to put up with her change of circs, including council flat life, wacky sister and crazy friends.
Imrie gets her norks out, albeit in a black lacy bra.

Cameos by Josie Lawrence and old ma Lumley
Good laugh, bittersweet ending.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 10/10

Superbly acted all round, any film featuring Sam Rockwell has to be worth a look.
Very well shot and directed with a powerful story and script.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^I've seen that, it really is extremely good indeed. ^^^

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo!
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes has just popped onto More4!

Not seen it, must sit down and adore Marilyn again for a bit Laughing

And Jane Russell, too !

Wub Wub Wub

End of film edit ... *happy sigh*
10/10

drkbishop
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look for some German War films, and came across

The Captain.

9/10

Based on true story

'A German army deserter finds a Nazi captain's abandoned uniform during the final weeks of World War II. Emboldened by the authority it suddenly grants him, he amasses a band of stragglers that cedes to his every command -- despite the suspicions of some. Citing direct orders from Hitler himself, he soon takes command of a camp that holds German soldiers accused of desertion -- and begins to dispense harsh justice.'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6763252/

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Oh wow!!! ^^^

Good call, that man.
I'm only halfway through it.
Fab.

Cool

drkbishop
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody 9/10

Really good film, cross between John wick and home alone Laughing

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7888964/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 03 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BIKE THIEF. 8/10

To the Rider his moped is everything. As a pizza delivery driver it is his livelihood. As a breadline straddling, immigrant father it is his family’s anchor. It takes his wife to work. It gets his daughter to school. So when one night the moped is stolen, his world collapses. He has to get back his bike – or replace it – in whatever way possible, before his next shifts starts. If he fails, he won’t just lose his job, he will lose it all. He tries to ask the few familiar faces for help in this unfamiliar, disorienting city. However, as he runs out of time and his options are wearing thin, his moral compass begins to crack and he grows more and more willing to forgo his conscience in order to save himself and his family.

Worthy of a 2nd watch. Good film.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrath of man 9/10. Statham and Guy Ritchie team up again. A few more good actors in the mix, Andy Garcia, Scott Eastwood, Josh Hartnett amongst others.

Best end shoot out scene ever, better than HEAT.

The plot follows H, a cold and mysterious character working at a cash truck company responsible for moving hundreds of millions of dollars around Los Angeles each week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFYEni2gsK0

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 20:22 - 27 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Wrath of man 9/10. Statham and Guy Ritchie team up again. A few more good actors in the mix, Andy Garcia, Scott Eastwood, Josh Hartnett amongst others.

Best end shoot out scene ever, better than HEAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFYEni2gsK0

Heat is a far superior movie ... W.O.M. is a watch once and forget movie (a 7 at best) ... the gun battle was instantly forgettable!

I've watched Heat multiple times, still love the gun battle ... even better with a 500W powered sub-woofer (sadly no longer have it) .... so loud you can't even hear the police at the door Smile

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:

Heat is a far superior movie ... W.O.M. is a watch once and forget movie (a 7 at best) ... the gun battle was instantly forgettable!

i watched Heat once, thought it was quite mediocre and forgot about it. Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promising Young Woman - i'd give that an 8.
The Flight Attendant - also well up there.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 28 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremors 6/10

I recall watching this when I was a teenager and finding it both interesting and amusing. Perhaps my perspective has changed in 20 years, but watched it again the other night and I found it just about watchable while it sent Mrs Thunderguts to sleep. Bit disappointed actually.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbroken
(on Netflix)

WW2 American bombardier/Olympic runner, plane crashed at sea whilst on a mission, survivors picked up by the Japs and kept in a Jap war camp.
Real life story.
I wouldn't normally watch that sort of thing.
Pretty good.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ice Road (2021) - 5.5/10

It's a ''straight to video'' kind of film with awful CGI and even poorer dialogues, but I did actually enjoy it. The cast was very surprising as well, I mean you don't see Liam Neeson and Laurence Fishburne in a B movie that often.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Shiners"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Rp-x59uVY

This is not a good movie. It's not even a professionally made movie. The acting is terrible. In fact, it might be fairly considered terrible all round. But it is entertaining. Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Days of the Bagnold Summer.
I can see how this wouldn’t appeal to everyone but I found it gently funny and charming. Basically a short story about an awkward 15 year old heavy metal fan and his librarian mother. It was on terrestrial TV a few weeks ago and I watched it in full on Apple TV.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:11 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrix (1999) - 9/10

I watched the first Matrix on Netflix again. It's been maybe 20 years since I first watched it. It's still a very relevant and well made film. There are only two places where the CGI looks a bit dated (cheap by today's standards) otherwise, apart from the dated cell phones, you could release this film today and people would enjoy it just as much as they probably did in 1999.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Matrix (1999) - 9/10

I watched the first Matrix on Netflix again. It's been maybe 20 years since I first watched it. It's still a very relevant and well made film. There are only two places where the CGI looks a bit dated (cheap by today's standards) otherwise, apart from the dated cell phones, you could release this film today and people would enjoy it just as much as they probably did in 1999.

The only problem with the original Matrix film is the subsequent Matrix films.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Sparks Brothers" 11/10

Directed by Edgar Wright - Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Baby Driver - this is an homage to Russell & Ron Mael aka Sparks.

Those of you that remember their TotP appearances in the 70's will recall the majesty of Russell and his falsetto, contrasted with the sinister stare of Ron and his toothbrush moustache. Laughing

Lots of talking, archive clips and best of all interspersed with the brothers themselves talking* about their past and present projects.

A brilliant, affectionate summary of Sparks' career and the men themselves.

And if you're wondering, Ron has aged better than Russ Crying or Very sad

* They make it clear at the outset that they hate the title of the film Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 21 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Destroyer" (2018) with Nicole Kidman 7/10

Really enjoyed this, just showing up on BBC1 this evening.

Fairly standard "undercover cop fucks over the bad guys" sort of thing with quite a slow burn, but fascinating to watch Kidman playing someone less glamorous for a change.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss level 7/10

on Amazon prime. better than i was expecting. a simple action flick.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean's Eleven Laughing

I know, I know, I shoulda watched it by now.
But I haven't.
I didn't even know its called that cos there is a Mister Ocean Rolling Eyes
I always thought it was a weird title. Now I know why.

It just popped up on Netflix last night so I thought ... why not.
Now (of course) Netflix is encouraging me to also watch Ocean's 12.

So I might just about fit it in before continuing to watch part 2 of Vigil at 9pm.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wait ...!
Its also suggesting I watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Shocked

Decisions, decisions Brick Wall

Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 181 of 194