Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 22 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree,
I liked the idea of having a tunnel through the centre of the earth but apart from that the re-make was just utter Brit hating drivval shit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:38 - 22 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I agree,
I liked the idea of having a tunnel through the centre of the earth but apart from that the re-make was just utter Brit hating drivval shit

The tunnel is from the original Philip K Dick story as I recall. I've not read it myself but I think I should put it on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 22 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iron Claw

True story bro pic about the 5 Von Erich brothers and their competitive dad in the world of US wrestling. IRL only one brother survived, each having his own demons to (literally) fight and lose against.

Zak Efron properly beefed up for the role of Kevin, the remaining living brother. Some of the hairstyles are proper tragic though Laughing

You don’t have to be a grapple fan to like this, it’s a story of ambition, family ties and resilience.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 23 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving Private Ryan.

I'm sure I watched it before because (apart from the opening scene) I remember having quite a good impression about the rest of the film. But I didn't remember much about it - musta been stoned when I watched it the first time Laughing

So this time round, enjoyed it quite a lot more.
Except for the start, of course.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 23 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the day before that I watched SKYSCRAPER because the dog was asleep with the remote control in her furry little arms and I didn't want to wake her up Rolling Eyes

Does anyone really watch Dwayne Johnson movies for anything other than the musculature? He doesn't really even seem to be real ... at least Statham and Schwarzenegger have a sense of humour. Wub

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:37 - 23 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
And the day before that I watched SKYSCRAPER because the dog was asleep with the remote control in her furry little arms and I didn't want to wake her up Rolling Eyes

Does anyone really watch Dwayne Johnson movies for anything other than the musculature? He doesn't really even seem to be real ... at least Statham and Schwarzenegger have a sense of humour. Wub

He has got a bit up himself in the last few years, but he does make movies that take the mick out of himself. I adore the two most recent Jumanji movies, and Central Intelligence is great. He has this whole speech about how he loves unicorns and then beats up some guys in a bar fight. It's surprisingly funny. When he does comedy (particularly with Kevin Hart it seems) he works well. When he does straight faced action, it's just meh. He wants to be the new Schwarzenegger but he doesn't quite have the same charisma.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 23 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt mainly because he still has a dash of polynesian about him, and reminds me of half the Samoan rugby team Cool So I'll keep my keen eye on him for a bit longer ...
My first husband was* also quarter-Samoan, I find them generally quite dishy.

Still prefer Schwarzenegger or Statham, though Wub

*(?is - not seen him in 40 years, not sure if he's even still alive LOL) Shifty

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:12 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Things - 7/10

Emma Stone was good as you'd expect and Willem Dafoe. Film though is just a mix of Mary Shelleys Frankenstein and Island of Dr Moreau... with added levity. Only original bit being the make-up of Emma Stones character. Cant remember that having been done (but it probably has).

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Poor Things - 7/10

Emma Stone was good as you'd expect and Willem Dafoe. Film though is just a mix of Mary Shelleys Frankenstein and Island of Dr Moreau... with added levity. Only original bit being the make-up of Emma Stones character. Cant remember that having been done (but it probably has).

Well, the feminists loved it showing a sexually unblocked female wallowing in her own sensual pleasures. My take is that it’s quite Freudian (she’s stuck in the toddler phase) a mysoginist fever dream imagining a woman who uses men solely for her own pleasure and an unfortunate voyeuristic portrayal of a woman with learning disabilities.

However, I loved the ending and the steampunk aesthetic. But….I wouldn’t want to watch it with my mother Shocked

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:52 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
But….I wouldn’t want to watch it with my mother Shocked

Can't think of a better endorsement Laughing

Whenever a film's on TV proceeded by "WARNING: may contain scenes of a sexual nature, violence and drug use" the wife and I do a high-five Smile

Last edited by Easy-X on 11:08 - 02 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaceman (2024; Netflix) - 5/10

Adam Sandler somehow plays a Czech spaceman on a solo mission to the edge of the solar system. Then, wondering about what's going on back home, talking to a spider like creature who guides him. Some Czech references involved, such as characters names, Czech flags around, Antonin Dvorak's music, a brief selected Czech history excursion and they even called the spacecraft Jan Hus.

Jan Hus was the lad who got burned at the stake in 1415 for not quite agreeing with what the Church had to say.

Anyway, the film was lengthy but somewhat alright, I guess. Nothing I would watch twice, though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Adam Sandler somehow plays a Czech spaceman...

Another one of those "the book was better" I suppose.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
But….I wouldn’t want to watch it with my mother Shocked

In the same vein, I watched Saltburn with my daughters (24 & 27). Embarassed
Shall check google next time they suggest a film to watch together. I haven’t had sausage since Rolling Eyes

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:34 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zone of Interest 7/10

Interesting juxtaposition/portrayal of the Auschwitz commandant and his family who live adjacent to the camp.

Chilling scene where the Germans are having a meeting regarding improving the efficiency of the plant.

Shot in vibrant, bright colours.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:36 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iron Claw

Zak Efron properly beefed up for the role of Kevin, the remaining living brother. Some of the hairstyles are proper tragic though Laughing

Properly beefed up with steroid abuse - something wrong with his head. Looked like a square. Payday was probably worth it though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 03 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Beekeeper - yet again "Jason Statham plays... Jason Statham!" the violence may be slick but I'd place it below something like Nobody.

The backdrop is interesting. An accurate synthesis of the obscene decadence of American politics bar two points: 1) call centres are all run out of India, no corporation pays $15 per hour by choice & 2) Bad People are lauded not punished.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of us Strangers.

Very powerful film.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:33 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune 2 - Go and see it, it's literally epic.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I take it that's go to a cinema and would be lost on home tv.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I ‘spose it depends on whether you’ve got a big one Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 06 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ‘spose it depends on whether you’ve got a big one Wink

Well yes... but what about the TV?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:31 - 07 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I saw it on a medium sized cinema screen where you could see some of the dirt on the screen in some scenes. I do regret not seeing it on the biggest screen I could, but it's kind of hard to choose when you're limited in timeslots. It was fantastic, and part of that amazement is seeing it on a screen the size of a house. with a very good large UHD TV and a good sound system you *may* get the same effect but I don't have one so I don't know.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 07 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I saw it on a medium sized cinema screen where you could see some of the dirt on the screen in some scenes. I do regret not seeing it on the biggest screen I could, but it's kind of hard to choose when you're limited in timeslots. It was fantastic, and part of that amazement is seeing it on a screen the size of a house. with a very good large UHD TV and a good sound system you *may* get the same effect but I don't have one so I don't know.

IMAX booked for next week Dance!

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:55 - 08 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

IMAX booked for next week Dance!

SuperScreen booked for tomorrow.... actually i've forgotten to book it. Better be 2 seats left or im in the sh*t with milady again.

Edit: Watched it. Pretty good if overly long. Wouldn't advise cineworld superscreen as the vibrations were annoying and distracted from the film.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 10 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUNE II

10/10

Insanely good. Watched it on Friday night at an ODEON and I am going to watch it a second time at IMAX.

Genuinely a masterpiece.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 193 of 194