View previous topic : View next topic  

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 09 Nov 2003    Post subject: WANTED: Reply with quote

has anyone got one of the following:-

kawasaki kr1s 250
aprilia rs250
honda nsr 250

i got about 1000 - 1500 to spend, buyer must live within 30 miles ish of m3 juntion 3a (farnborough, united kingdom). also is there anything i should know about one of the above (i am goping to be 17 when i get it and i already know i can afford to insure one of these)

thanks
david
https://meh-site.0catch.com/graphics/pics/my_bitch.JPG
here's what's getting replaced
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 20:17 - 09 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your suposed to be restricted to 33bhp.
All of the above are over 50bhp.

Unless you get them restricted...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:38 - 09 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm...
The NSR250's are as rare as golden hen's teeth. there are one or two around but even the 1988 ones command about £1500 if they're any good.

KR1S's are notoriously unreliable. When I say unreliable, I mean spectacularly unreliable. Something about the barrels not being machined quite in line (Its a parallel twin.)
Only buy one if its been stan stephens tuned, and then if its roadworthy I expect you're looking at more than £1500. (somebody might correct me with these, I don't seem to be the best person when it comes to prices.)

Aprilia RS's the cheapest one's I've seen (I was half heartedly looking for one) are about £1800 and even those I might be wary of. They have a '95 suzuki RGV250 engine in them which is also notorious for going POP. Apparently the powervalve pins rust and break without warning, meaning that you have a powervalve drop into your cylinder. While the bike's moving. At high revs.

Or to put it another way : "Earth sky earth sky earth, ambulance"

If you really want one of those, I would suggest a looked after RS250 and pay more than two grand.

Otherwise If I were you, I'd look for a freshly rebuilt RGV250. Try to go for '93 onwards because they are the sexiest and best handling (AFAIK).

I've seen a freshly rebuilt one that has been serviced by its mature owner (it is claimed) every 3000 miles on sale for £1595.
There are others available,(which are about half that price!!) but that was the only one I could find near me.

Be warned. All of these bikes drink petrol and high quality synthetic 2-stroke oil. They need rebuilding every 10,000 miles minimum, they are likely to go pop anyway without warning (some of them) and the insurance companies generally know that they're hooligan tools AFAIK. Therefore I personally would say buy a cheap sports 400. You can get one for around £1500 (so I'm forever being told by other members of the forum) and they're more reliable, insurance is about the same, they are much cheaper to run and on top of all that they're easier to ride.

This is my personal opinion, I hope it helps you. Smile

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 09 Nov 2003    Post subject: in reply to the above.... Reply with quote

yea thanks for your help, i know next to nuttin about bikes but i still wanna ride one when i turn 17, any way's, dunno about 400's, i'll go and have a search on https://www.bennetts.co.uk and see what the 400's are like for insurance, shame, i can't find any other bikes that look as nice as the three i mentioned that i can afford *sniff*

you are right, they are SUPPOSED to be restricted, but UNLESS I CRASH who's gonna know any different, my ped's supposed to be restricted to 30 mph but the police only know the speed limit of the roads and don't know about all the bike restrictions

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 09 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

another search shows i can afford a kawasaki zzr 250

https://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=51412599

your views?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:37 - 09 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats your riding experience?

I assume you're coming off a ped? Get a 400, restrict it, get used to riding it, get comfy on it etc then remove the restrictors.

Quite a lot of people from this forum around this area, so you'll have to come on rideouts Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:46 - 09 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ZZR 250 is a four stroke, not as powerful as the 2 stroke bikes, but it makes pretty much 33 Bhp, which is cool.

They aren't the quickest of bikes, but they are quick enough. Parallel twin and they are reasonable for a pillion.

The only trouble is they aren't very common. I think that they are grey imports, or, if they were officially imported then not many were sold.
Parts might be a problem, but certainly no worse than an NSR250.

If you can find a decent one, I would say that its a good first bike! Smile

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, as you lot seem to be able to come up with a reason why not to go for neally any of the bikes that i can find which i can afford/like

let's try it a different way

i have 1400 quid to spend (after bargain'in) what do you reakon i should go for

i will be 17 with the 33 bhp restriction never ridden a geared bike b4, can afford to insure 250's, 400's

and i don't want to be pulled over by the fuzz every five minutes so zimma i won't be hunting for and gsxr1000's Very Happy

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:13 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the 1400 for the bike or is it including insurance, TAX, MOT, Gear (I assume you only have cheap scooter gear atm).

Hard to say what to do in your shoes. Don't get a 600 and don't get a 2 stroke 250, but you'll get bored of whatever you do get pretty fast anyway.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 13:26 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
Scotty wrote:
Your suposed to be restricted to 33bhp.
All of the above are over 50bhp.

Unless you get them restricted...

LOL like anyone sticks to their restrictions lol.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
is the 1400 for the bike or is it including insurance, TAX, MOT, Gear (I assume you only have cheap scooter gear atm).

Hard to say what to do in your shoes. Don't get a 600 and don't get a 2 stroke 250, but you'll get bored of whatever you do get pretty fast anyway.

1400 just for bike, mums paying for test, i have 900 saved up for the other stuff i need an i could always work a bit harder Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:25 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:

Ignore robby, he'll just tell you to get a car or as near as possible anyway Razz.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:39 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get something like a CBR250

Goose did, and loved it. Then he bought the devil on wheels Rolling Eyes

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

car, them things cost more money then bikes

i thought about one but then came up with the following reasons why i don't want a car

a) if i had enough money to buy a nice car, and buy the insurance i'd have fuk all money to spend on anything else

b) bikes are comparably cheaper to insure

c) it's cheaper to get a bike that looks and rides nice then a car that looks/rides nice

d) takes longer to pass your car test about 6 months minimum unless you do a learn to drive in a week thingy

e) bikes are faster

f) cannae be arsed to type any more out

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:04 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

dav^^ wrote:

My car cost £150. My bike cost £4000. Mr. Green

Bhp per ton, the car loses big style.

Bhp per £1 spent... errr Embarassed

And my car insurance is cheaper too.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 15:06 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBendy wrote:
dav^^ wrote:

My car cost £150. My bike cost £4000. Mr. Green

Bhp per ton, the car loses big style.

Bhp per £1 spent... errr Embarassed

And my car insurance is cheaper too.

Similar story here, Car cost £400 bike cost £4000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also meant to add that to buy a bike i like is cheaper then to buy a car i like

also this is all meant to be preety uch legal, i.e insurance costs e.t.c

bah, you have to be old to get cheap insurance

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:09 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

dav^^ wrote:
i also meant to add that to buy a bike i like is cheaper then to buy a car i like

also this is all meant to be preety uch legal, i.e insurance costs e.t.c

bah, you have to be old to get cheap insurance

Yeah. And what's even better is that cheaper insurance represents an even smaller fraction of our higher wages. Razz

Age rocks ass.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

you won't be saying that when you start going bald

o wait, to late Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 16:39 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women normally don't go bald? Laughing And last time I seen Bend she had a full head of reddish coloured hair.

As for me going bald, don't care when I get my hair cut its half way there. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:40 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I can say with a 100% guarantee that I will never suffer from male pattern baldness.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:54 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

G was going bald long before he could say Age Rocks Ass.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:12 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

right youve got 1500 to spend, its quite simple, bear in mind, whatever you get, it will probly need restrictors, and to the same end, you wil probly take them out very shortly afterwards, retaining the certificate for police stuff

if you ride like a twat, you will get pulled, you can get pulled on a 100% legal biek, just as easily as you would riding an illegally powerful bike, just depends how you ride it

dont base your decision on the restriciton anyway Smile

i'd say realistically, as your first geared bike, look at 250's, 400's and maybe commuter 500, anything bigger might be a little too much

you can pick up CB5's ER5's, and GS5's for 1500 easy, naked slightly beat up 400 grey imports are easy to find for your price bracket, but may need a little work, not necessarily a bad thing as will help you understand bikes, but if you get a dudd, it will cause you hell, and youll spend more time fixing than riding (talk to robby Razz)

250's i'd stick with the 4 strokes, 2 stroke 250's are a bit more heavy going, require a lot of rider input, and not necessarily ideal for gaining experience, and wont be particularly forgiving to ill treatment or duff controlling, especially shit bikes for this time of year

cbr250 would of course be the best choice, but like most sports 250's all grey, and much harder to find than the 400's

thanks for giving me something to do Smile

head over to biketrader whack your budget in, and see what comes up
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:

thanks for giving me something to do Smile

not a problem

now, if only women were that easy to understand Very Happy

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 23:04 - 13 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

oi, what you sayin Razz
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Bikes & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2