Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic : View next topic  

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:11 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
spetom, old chap, I actually believe that some Chinese bikes offer great value for money, but your unremitting mentalism is making me doubt my own convictions.
I think you've said your piece. Over, and over and over and over and over again. Neutral

You're right, but it has less to do about Chinese and more to do about attitude of some Japanese lovers specifically in the UK.

Quote:
You keep on going on about the quality of the materials on the CB500. I'm stuggling to think which bits you're talking about, best I can think of are:

1. The silver paint flaking on the engine casings when corrosion gets underneath them. It's only cosmetic, and easy to repaint.

2. Crosshead screws, particularly those on the carbs. Bit of a catch-22 here, I've never come across a crosshead screw of any kind on any vehicle that didn't either soften or seize. Screws are cheap, so it makes more sense to go for a softer steel that can be drilled if someone can't use a screwdriver, rather than stainless that will dissolve the alloy around it.

3. The airbox screws seize into their captive nuts, making removal tricky. Lots of copper grease needed.

4. I'm struggling. The frame paint and steel is some of the best I've come across, the fuel tank is thick and hasn't tried to rust, the handlebars are tough - will take a drop without bending. Brake caliper bolts take a lot of torque without stripping the thread.

My CB500 rides like a new bike after a decade on the road. I would be surprised if one of the current crop of Chinese bikes can do the same without spending a lot of money on it.

You're right.

I'd actually say what you have said is 90% correct and I did say the user end side is of good quality. I've been more than harsh on the CB 500, spur of the moment getting pissed off while working on it, I haven't done it justice and it is a relatively good bike so far.

The only thing that pissed me off a little is to find out as soon as they moved production to Italy they dropped quality output, and found my bike was one of the Italian ones.

Still does not deter the fact that in the 125 range the Japs are for certain basically Chinese.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

spetom wrote:
Still does not deter the fact that in the 125 range the Japs are for certain basically Chinese but with quality control.

Corrected for you.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:43 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
spetom wrote:
Still does not deter the fact that in the 125 range the Japs are for certain basically Chinese but with quality control.

Corrected for you.

Not in mine and other users direct experiences.

How many of you have recently I mean in the last 2 years owned a CG and a Chinese at the same time?
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:53 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

spetom wrote:

You're right.

I'd actually say what you have said is 90% correct and I did say the user end side is of good quality. I've been more than harsh on the CB 500, spur of the moment getting pissed off while working on it, I haven't done it justice and it is a relatively good bike so far.

The only thing that pissed me off a little is to find out as soon as they moved production to Italy they dropped quality output, and found my bike was one of the Italian ones.

Still does not deter the fact that in the 125 range the Japs are for certain basically Chinese.

Dropped quality output how?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:30 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

spetom wrote:
How many of you have recently I mean in the last 2 years owned a CG and a Chinese at the same time?

So you have owned Jap-built & Wop-Built examples of the CB500 at the same time, then, that have lived similar lives, and accumulated the same amount of wear and tear, enviromental degredation & corrossion, rider abuse & damage then, to WHOLEY justify YOUR critasisms of that bike then......
Hmmm.... seems a bit like one rule for every-one else, and another for the the Prophet Tom, to me with you STILL waving that tar brush about indiescriminately, STILL insisting you have something worth while to say!
Tom.... Give up!
If you cant admit that you DONT actually know what your talking about, let alone that MOST of your ideas are pretty erroniouse, if not down right assanine, in the face of such weight of debate showing them as such.... at least recognise that your efforts to 'enlighten' us to the wisdom you have discovered are futile, and we obviousely aren't worthy of your ministrations!
We will cling to our Heathen ways, chanting this Japanese-Japanese-Japanese mantra in your ear, regardless.

(I wonder whether he really DOES hear people in his head, gregorian chanting such a mantra...... might explain a lot...... maybe its to do with his travels in Communist countries........ Do you think he might be a victim of 'the red room', or mind altering chemicals, perhaps?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:35 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
what the hell are you on about

the cg is the most basic bike ever,if you fail to make one with any decent amount of reliablity/quality. you fail epicly

Don't tell me about it, tell Honda.

I've owned 2 an old and a new 1 year old one, and my BT125-5 a 5 year old battered chinese was better fullstop.

This is my experience and that of many other people, then to have it pressed into my head that it is a simple lie is just exhausting and exactly what I'm talking about.

Lets turn everything I've said on it's head.

Ok so..

-No Japanese motorcycles are produced in China.
-Wuyang do not today produce most of the CGs for the world.
-Wuyang are not affiliated with Honda.
-Wuyang are not affiliated with Guangzhou Automobile Industry Group Co Ltd.

-The Chinese govnerment do not own a large part Guangzhou Automobile Industry Group Co Ltd.
-Guangzhou Automobile Industry Group Co Ltd do not own any other motorcycle companies.

-All Jap materials and bikes are produced in Japan by samurai's.

-Anything produced outside an SEZ in China where most things are produced and where Wuyang is located, is highly regulated with lots of quality control.

-My new CG was the best 125 I ever owned.

-My new CG was well built, solid and looked like it would last compared to my old one.

-I did not see any western automotive and any other such firms or household brands producing outside SEZ zones in China.

-The conditions and standards of any factories I did see outside of SEZs was excellent, quality control was very high.

-Radio 4 are liars, there is no such "sport" motortcyclist culture predominant in the UK and the government have no legislation on it.

-In the last decade the police have not started to increase the amount of random checks they do on motorcyclists, again Radio 4 are liars.

-The experiences of two elderly OAPs who were young men during WW2 and experienced much more motorcycling and motorcycling mechanics over the decades than everyone on this forum combined are wrong, they are liars.

-British bikes of the 40s were not reliable broke down all the time and splurged oil everywhere, they could not cope with the pressures of desert warfare.

-Quality of British bikes did not drop in the 50s continuing into the 60s due to Britains massive debt after WW2 and rush attempts to repay it, quality remained excellent.

-I'm wrong, Japanese motorcyclist are "uber alles" the best superior to everything, their modern output endures everything, the quality of the bikes is beyond everything I have experienced to date.

These are opposites of what I've been saying all the time. Can you not see just how f-ing outrageous each one of these statements is??

Can you not see how f-ing stupid it sounds to say them, and guess what only a brainwashed or severly ignorant person would agree with them.

You all sound like 1930s Soviets telling me the West was backward because apples still grew on trees, whereas in the Soviet Union they were manufactured in factories?? Can you not see just how f-ing outrageous this is?

Really stfu if you actually have no idea, go to f-ing china and prove me wrong.

I ask again which one of you has actually owned a new CG and a 5 year old Chinese at the same time?

I give up.

Last edited by spetom on 15:39 - 11 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:40 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
sorry cba reading all that Dance!

my cg is 18 years old and fine,maybe your just retarded and bought a shitter

Well if you could read English I did say my old CG was much better and an 80s one at that. Wasted words on dumbasses.

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:46 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
so you got rid of a good bike to buy a bad one ? ;D

Dyslexia, reading disability or just low IQ?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:51 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

spetom wrote:

Dyslexia, reading disability or just low IQ?

What about someone that says they will write no further on the topic, then very quickly is doing exactly that?

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:00 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
awesome your pulling out the insult card as you have nothing more to argue with.

i love how you keep replying though,keeping me mildly entertained

so you bought 3 125s? why didn't you just do your test

You deserve an insult card for asking stupid questions and not reading.

I've owned 5 125s in my life and ridden a lot more in the past 8 years including scooters, albeit not in the UK.

I owned an old CG 125 first for several years, was in need of cash and got a good offer for it so it went.

Then I saw a Chituma, was bloody cheap looked similar to my CG same colour so I bought it. Some months later sold it was a horrendous bike fell to pieces. It did ride pretty much the same though.

I thought bugger that I'll buy a decent new CG, had that for some months wasn't happy with the handling.

Got a BT125-5 was so cheap I couldn't say no, literally cost me peanuts, was really suprised how good and fast it was. Sold the new CG eventually.

Decided to take my test, rocked up to the test on my BT125-5 they told me it was an A1, I wasn't aware of the list read more here

Then bought a Wuyang and did my A2 test on it. Passed first time no lessons. Then sold it.

Then sold my BT125-5, now bought a CB 500.

I haven't mentioned the number of other scooters and bikes MBKs and such like I've been on, mainly abroad.

G wrote:
What about someone that says they will write no further on the topic, then very quickly is doing exactly that?

You are right, boredom at work gets me. On that note good bye.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
so there was nothing wrong with the cgs ? XD

maybe you didn't bother to inflate the tyres or replace bearings,man you fail

As said I earlier. CGs as standard are fitted with very very hardwearing commuter tyres - they are designed to last and last and last.

As we all know tyres that last like that do not grip so well. I'll put money on the older CG haivng had its tyres replaced at some point with ones that provide better grip and therefore traction... Miraculously improving handling dramatically. BTW when it gets to time look into banging BT45s on that CB500 Thumbs Up

Why do Honda fit these tyres? Because the market that the CG is aimed at doesn't want to be changing tyres every couple of years. The rubber on my ten year old Brazilian was a factory fitment and still on the bike when it was stolen at the 42 thousand mile mark.

Rocket science? Nope, motorbike handling science.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zzzzz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bike was a Jin lun marketed as direct bikes 125 cruiser scooter, bought it online for 699 bargain but only lasted 6 months, alternator went rear brake cable bracket snapped, 2 tyre vales needed replacing the flashed unit went twice for indicators the panels never lines up the screw were made out of some form of blue tack painted green, I had green flag out 15 times and they said inwas abusing there service as I needed constant jump starts and the final nail in the coffin was I was going down spittlefields and heard a twang and ping sound were the rear part of my frame snapped whilst I was going about 50, the bike itself was very quick and looked nice but dear god was it Bad,

I know ride a Hyosung gt125r which I've had for over a year an no problems although it is Korean not jap or Chinese but I love it

If you do get Chinese don't get a direct bikes there LAME and tried to kill me,

Hockeystorm65
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:44 - 18 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that having read this continuing saga (that will never end as there is no right answer) I would offer the following contribution:

If there is anyone out there who genuinely believes that there is no Chinese manufacurer that can produce a great quality bike then they are deluded and talking bo**ox!

If there is anyone out there who genuinely believes that there is no Japanese manufacturer that has ever made a bad or poor quality bike then they are equally deluded and also talking bo**ox!

....at the end of the day we all have a choice....buy the one you like!

So just to break up the monotony, I have a differet topic I would like to offer for the next 13 pages of rants:

Squirrels are better than Badgers.....discuss! Laughing Laughing

zzzzz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 18 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockeystorm65 wrote:

Intresting point but where are these squirrels from are they Chinese squirrels and Japanese badgers because I'm going to go with the Korean pidgeon and what about the english hedgehogs

Lol

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:46 - 18 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockeystorm65 wrote:
buy the one you like!

Exactly the advice that sees a lot of people disillusioned with bikes that aren't suitable for their needs! Wink
'Like' isn't always a good indicator when choosing what machine to spends loads of money on - sometimes it's sensible to use your head instead of your heart.

Hockeystorm65
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:16 - 18 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTRay wrote:
Hockeystorm65 wrote:

I'm going to go with the Korean pidgeon and what about the english hedgehogs

Lol

...the English hedgehog has been in decline for some years now! Despite the obvious emotional impact of watching another great British institution decline, the reality is that it's on-road performance is very poor!

On the subject of the Korean Pidgeons, these are simply in-bred copies of Japanese Pidgeons and despite their often more colourful plumage longevity has been a problem in their domestic market........much the same for the Korean Dog......Japanese Dogs live much longer and have a much higher quality bark! Laughing

Hockeystorm65
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:20 - 18 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Hockeystorm65 wrote:
buy the one you like!

Exactly the advice that sees a lot of people disillusioned with bikes that aren't suitable for their needs! Wink
'Like' isn't always a good indicator when choosing what machine to spends loads of money on - sometimes it's sensible to use your head instead of your heart.

....by like I mean, one that fits your age, experience, ability, requirements and budget.........I just don't think you can get that from manufacturers spec sheets. Also, a lot of bikers change their bikes within a couple of years, not because they made the wrong choice, more because they have simply gorwn in experience and moved on. The follow the heart route is surely why we ride bikes in the first place.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:26 - 18 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockeystorm65 wrote:
...the English hedgehog has been in decline for some years now! Despite the obvious emotional impact of watching another great British institution decline, the reality is that it's on-road performance is very poor!

On the subject of the Korean Pidgeons, these are simply in-bred copies of Japanese Pidgeons and despite their often more colourful plumage longevity has been a problem in their domestic market........much the same for the Korean Dog......Japanese Dogs live much longer and have a much higher quality bark! Laughing

Trouble with Pidgeons, Korean or Japanese is that they are basically a redomesticated ferral animal, and are very difficult to house train.

Dogs are far easier, but they serve very little useful purpose, apart from hogging the fire. We've had an anglo-german Boxer-Shephard for some while now; utterly useless, no matter how much we try he just cannot be trained to do make coffee, let alone shut the back door after himself!

Now PIGS, there's an intelligent creature. Far more intelligent than the Squirrel, thats basically a fluffy rat!

Problem solving skills of the commom squirrel have been shown to be incredibly high, and they out-perform mice in maze challenges by an amazing begree, BUT the pig, has even greater ability. Not only does it have fantastic problem solving skills, it also has even greater sensory perception to dogs or birds, and incredibly well developed meomory. Overall a good pig will out-perform many primates for all but dexterity, where they are unfortunately limited by thier trotters.

Snowie was very keen to get a Vietnamese pot-belly pig, but unfortunately, it reminded me too much of my ex-wife... and I'd never be able to enjoy a bacon sandwhich with it lurking near by!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:35 - 18 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockeystorm65 wrote:

....by like I mean, one that fits your age, experience, ability, requirements and budget.........

In my experience that's rarely what people mean when they say "I like it". It usually means they've got attached to the idea of having a new numberplated bike, because in their subconscious some where that is 'cool' and linked with success.
Similarly for various other reasons people 'like' a bike - such as the BMW 1150GS adventure which is the most suitable bike for maybe 0.05% of owners.

I think the spec sheets (along with general reviews, etc) actually give the best indication for what you list above, while what isn't on them is how it makes YOU feel. Which often has nothing to do with riding a bike and a lot to do with capitalistic materialism.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9