Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:01 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Coxyzxr wrote:
Here here!

Where? Where?

There There!

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
27cows wrote:
CGs rot to nothing long before you can get anywhere near 100K, unless you're a compulsive type who cleans ratty commuters Laughing

The motors actually run to around 45-50K tops, despite the hype. If you ride them like an old man and polish them like a Harley rider with OCD, possibly 75K Wink

Couriering around Bristol, mainly local with occasional 50/100 mile trips, oil change every month or so, never ever cleaned and was covered in so much crap you could barely see bike and did 120k before i started going further on a 500

You must have got lucky. The one I had was comprehensively shagged by 38,000 miles.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:29 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
My second hand Shoei (around £100 in 'mint' condition) weighs less than a Caberg carbon - which seems to be far too heavy for a 'light weight' carbon lid.

Leathers is mostly keeping an eye on ebay, but you should be able to get a decent set for under £70 easily, then altered to fit you for under £100

Quote:
Boots, well Sidi Vertigos for £100, stupid not to.

Hell of a lot for impractical boots (ok, I do have some, but bought them for racing, not that they seemed to make much difference over cheaper boots for me, at a guess) - £20 for army boots that you can use to walk around in seems fine to me.

Fully comp insurance for a new young rider is generally a bit of mistake in my opinion - to claim you can easily end up spending more money on increased premiums, excess etc than you get paid back.

I've seen enough slim tall ladies in textiles fine, by the way, can see it might be harder to get the right fit (reality is few people have good fit on their textiles),

I have Sidi Vertigos £120, I also had a pair of assault boots I wore £35 IIRC and a pair of magnums (£50-60) I also have A* SMX4's £130.

The assault boots ripped the 2 weeks I had them when I slipped of the kickstart.

The Magnums where fine but was always worried buy the lack of protection around the ankle.

The SMX4 are brilliant cashed in them many times had them 3+ years and they are still waterproof and I never hurt my foot. Too hot to walk about in in the summer though.

I bought the Vertigos because I thought they would be cooler than the A*'s they are fine crashed in them once and slide heavily on my ankle it scraped away alot of the protective plastic but I remained unharmed. I am 90% sure I would have hurt my self in the Magnums. I feel the Vertigos are good boots that give a lot of protection, for peace of mind alone they are worth it. I wouldn't fancy going in an out of London everyday without them (or the A*'s if it is wet).
bigblackjet This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:01 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have crashed many times (generally gently or off-road, to be fair) in Army boots and Magnums and never had a problem.
I did manage to rip my goretex army boot kickstarting the other day though Sad - however it does seem to still be fairly waterproof, which is nice Smile.

Indeed bigblackjet, but they had a slightly different design philosophy. Not saying some Chinese companies make good, but so far they can't even copy a Japanese design well!

FLV
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:37 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here too so forgive any ignorance on my part if you would.

Whilst I can totally understand the op being pulled up on his arguments and reasoning, why is pitslayer being flamed for spending his hard earned on what seems to be quality and (hopefully) correctly fitting safety gear?

I'm not having a go at anyone, just dont get why hes taking flak for it?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:46 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLV wrote:
just dont get why hes taking flak for it?

it was probably something to do with this:
pitslayer wrote:
a fool and their money are easily parted

FLV
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:56 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

it was probably something to do with this:
pitslayer wrote:
a fool and their money are easily parted

ah ha, yeah...left himself wide open for piss taking there I guess Very Happy

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys know that the chinese government actually pays people to post positive things about china online? They also employ more technical people to remove negative things from websites where ever possible. That also includes promoting chinese products.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese bikes are all about cheapness at the end of the day and they don't have any problem reducing quality to bring costs down. I've seen two year old chinese 125s which look as if they've been dragged out of the sea the finish is that poor. Chrome exhausts rusted through, tanks springing rust.
Yes they are very cheap but the spares and dealer support network isnt there for them and I think they're best viewed as use and throwaway when they expire devices.
I think the japanese tried their best to emulate british bikes when they started off and since they were keen to have their products viewed as being of comparable quality they tried very hard to engineer them to a good standard, using good materials and with a clear standard that they were trying to copy or reach.
I don't see that the chinese are even attempting to match the standard of the budget japanese bikes so much as produce something which sells simply for its utter cheapness rather than anything else, longevity isn't a concern so much as shifting units!
Personally I'd say they're a false economy given the overall workmanship.

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:40 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeseybeaner wrote:
Chinese bikes are all about cheapness at the end of the day and they don't have any problem reducing quality to bring costs down. I've seen two year old chinese 125s which look as if they've been dragged out of the sea the finish is that poor. Chrome exhausts rusted through, tanks springing rust.
Yes they are very cheap but the spares and dealer support network isnt there for them and I think they're best viewed as use and throwaway when they expire devices.
I think the japanese tried their best to emulate british bikes when they started off and since they were keen to have their products viewed as being of comparable quality they tried very hard to engineer them to a good standard, using good materials and with a clear standard that they were trying to copy or reach.
I don't see that the chinese are even attempting to match the standard of the budget japanese bikes so much as produce something which sells simply for its utter cheapness rather than anything else, longevity isn't a concern so much as shifting units!
Personally I'd say they're a false economy given the overall workmanship.

cuz they are shit innit

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cuz they are shit innit

Well yes if you like.

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:08 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride my wifes hartford vr125z alot and the motor is sound as a pound, currently on 14000 km. Its Taiwanese and we bought it cause it was cheap and she is gonna do her test quickly and get something bigger.I was expecting it to be shit, but to to be honest its not too bad.

The wheels were poor but i rust treated em and painted em and they're ok now. Apart from that im well happy with it and it looks kinda funky to me now but maybe thats because im used to it. Just thought i would share a positive experience of Chinese bikes.I Dont agree with everything the op says, and yes its a bit of an arrogant intro to the forum, but to lump all Chinese bikes together is unfair. Maybe the quality of some models differ from others. In my experience the suzuki finish is not a patch on honda. Perhaps the Chinese market just needs some time to develop so that the shit is exposed and the more promising makes and models evolve.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:27 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeseybeaner wrote:
I think the japanese tried their best to emulate british bikes when they started off

Japanese 'industry' (as opposed to craft trades) dates back to the 1800's, and the early 'China Traders'

Of the oriental 'imports' that made thier way back from the China seas in the victorian and edwardian era, a LOT of 'stuff' was made purely for the western market, and not of the 'best' quality.

Significant one was 'real' china ware. Staffordshire potteries were knocking out crockery in whitened 'china-clay' by the barge-load, but there was a LOT of snobbery and people would pay extra for imported Chinese 'China' crockery, rather than Royal Dalton or Wedgewood.

But the Japanese, didn't tend to get into the spirit of things quite as eagerly as China & India.

It's a cultural thing. The warrior elite were the highest in society. Craftmen were values artisans, and the peasants that tended the rice fields, were cosidered 'noble'. Traders & money lenders were necessary evil, the lowest of the low, beneath, in the Japanese feudal hiracy, even the dung-collectors, who emptied the night soil and sold it as furtiliser!

When it came to dealing with the Western merchants, the Japanese were very seperatist, and didn't encourage trade with them. They permitted trade ONLY where there was somtheing of greater value to be gained by 'Japan'.

Manufacturing Industry, was something that they deemed of worth, most significantly engineering. They were happy to leave textiles and ceramics to the chinese, what they wanted was ships, and engines.

And they founded thier own heavy engineering VERY early on. Many Japanese companies are OLDER than american & Eurpean ones.

Kawasaki Heavy Industries, I believe is actually one of the oldest of Japan manufacturing organisations, dating back to something daft like the 1860's to make ships.

By the turn of the century, Japan had built quite a significant manufacturing industry, at least EQUAL to American Insdustry.

A lot of it BOUGHT from america, and most of it to fuel thier war machine, taking terratories off the Chinese.

Allied to the Germans in WWII they aquired a lot of state of the art technology and industry from them.

After WWII, they then were given a hell of a lot of US 'aid' to get thier manufacturing industry back in business and get the country moving again, after the nuclear holocaust, ANd to redirect it away from its traditional products, municians and the machinary of war!

Their starting point was hardly that of a third world country.....

And thier cultural attitude was ALWAYS to strive for exelence.

AND into the soup of the war re-development, sent as part of the aid package, they got an american called Denon, who is the father of Statistical Process Control, who's ideas in post war boom-time USA were considered 'interesting' but of little worth in the rush to cash in on the consumer boom...... where in Japan, they lapped up and applied his ideas with aplomb.

Look at the early Japanese bikes; yes the early Yamaha were Japanese build copies of the DKW RT125, and the Kawasaki W650 a licence built copy of the BSA 650 lightening.

THOSE two companies were large existing manufacturers.

Honda was a complete start-up, given nothing. As were many others.

To build bikes they had to design them, and they set about it with a clean sheet of paper......

And within less than a decade, the bikes they were producing were FAR in advance of what was being built in Britain.

Honda started in only 1948, making an auto-cycle from attaching war surplus generator engines to bicycles.

By 1955 they were producing 250 & 350 twin cyclinder machines with then deemed 'advanced' pressed steel frames and Over-Head-Cam twin cylinder engines.

The British NEVER made an overhead cam-shaft production motorcycle in the post-war era, until the Bloor triumphs of 1990!

IF the Japs had help, or started by copying Western designs; it took them barely SEVEN YEARS to surpass thier teachers, and start pushing the boundires of the technology they had ever further.

The Chinese and Korean start-ups are a very different kettle or herring to the postwar Nips.

And it ought to be noted, that when the Japanese started selling bikes in the west, they were NOT 'cheap'.

They were well priced against thier competition, but in 1970, a Honda CB125S was NOT a 'cheap' rival to a BSA Bantum, it was more expensive! Likewise a Yamaha YDIS 250 learner legal was more expensive than a BSA C15 250 learner legal. The Jap bikes were lined up against the 'exotics', bikes like the Italian Armacchi's or Ducati Desmo-singles, or the spanish hi-po two strokes, which they strove to out-perform, as well as out-price.

There were always 'cheaper' bikes than the Japs offered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ordered chinese food tonight, and it was delivered on a honda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:24 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Well I ordered chinese food tonight, and it was delivered on a honda

LOL, best comment so far!

RussG
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:04 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just showed this article to my colleague, he says do you have any idea when his chinese bike will be fixed so he can give his even worse loaner bike back?

Dex
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:06 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of global engineering (making broad statements based on nationalities) is the the country's culture reflects their approach.

Brits- in small scale we were, and possibly still are, some of the best in the world. F1 teams are still mostly British based, and our skill is high quality innovative work. It was mass production where the industry collapsed, we never had the culture to inspire big groups of production line workers to strive for quality.

USA- sadly they believed their own hype and recently went the way of UK in the 70s, especially the automotive industry.

Japan- the honour system is to thank for their high quality output. Every member of a factory takes pride in the product and strives to create the best output. Honda is the oddity in that it had a strong single leader, its why Honda's ethos is more driven than most- it had direction from a single guy with a single vision. That ethos continues and Honda continue to innovate. The class system and cultural belief in excellence (but humility, and accepting there are always ways to improve) are the reasons the Japanese bike industry slaughtered the Brits- in the 60s and 70s, we thought we were great, they knew they weren't, but wouldn't stop until they were.

China- every aspect of modern Chinese society follows the old communist belief that their way is best. The people are fed misinformation, disinformation and lies. The news tells them their country is better than all others, so the mindset is that they are the best. A Japanese engineer running a factory in China would soon fall on his sword as he realised that years of indoctrination had taken away the ability of his workers to accept the scope and need for continual improvement.

North and South Korea - see China/Japan.

Dex
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:10 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of global engineering (making broad statements based on nationalities) is the the country's culture reflects their approach.

Brits- in small scale we were, and possibly still are, some of the best in the world. F1 teams are still mostly British based, and our skill is high quality innovative work. It was mass production where the industry collapsed, we never had the culture to inspire big groups of production line workers to strive for quality.

USA- sadly they believed their own hype and recently went the way of UK in the 70s, especially the automotive industry.

Japan- the honour system is to thank for their high quality output. Every member of a factory takes pride in the product and strives to create the best output. Honda is the oddity in that it had a strong single leader, its why Honda's ethos is more driven than most- it had direction from a single guy with a single vision. That ethos continues and Honda continue to innovate. The class system and cultural belief in excellence (but humility, and accepting there are always ways to improve) are the reasons the Japanese bike industry slaughtered the Brits- in the 60s and 70s, we thought we were great, they knew they weren't, but wouldn't stop until they were.

China- every aspect of modern Chinese society follows the old communist belief that their way is best. The people are fed misinformation, disinformation and lies. The news tells them their country is better than all others, so the mindset is that they are the best. A Japanese engineer running a factory in China would soon fall on his sword as he realised that years of indoctrination had taken away the ability of his workers to accept the scope and need for continual improvement.

North and South Korea - see China/Japan.

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:16 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being fair to the Koreans they are far better than the chinks, look at Hyundai and Kia, Take away the stigma and both are very good manufactures, Kia offer a 7 year warranty with all there cars now. IMO you can't argue with that.

Dex
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:18 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea is two countries, with two very different outlooks.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:50 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
Quote:
Kia offer a 7 year warranty with all there cars now.

because its cheaper to replace the broken parts, than increase their quality control standards.

Crap, once you factor in Labour it definitely isn't.

edit:- I forgot to mention when i was in Canada my Aunt had a Kia Sportage it was like a mini 4x4 Jeep thing. I believe it was a 1996 and it had 200,000 km on it with no major problems at all, it was a nice little car. This was out long before they introduced the 7 year warranty.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IF the Japs had help, or started by copying Western designs; it took them barely SEVEN YEARS to surpass thier teachers, and start pushing the boundires of the technology they had ever further.

The Chinese and Korean start-ups are a very different kettle or herring to the postwar Nips.

And it ought to be noted, that when the Japanese started selling bikes in the west, they were NOT 'cheap'.

They were well priced against thier competition, but in 1970, a Honda CB125S was NOT a 'cheap' rival to a BSA Bantum, it was more expensive! Likewise a Yamaha YDIS 250 learner legal was more expensive than a BSA C15 250 learner legal. The Jap bikes were lined up against the 'exotics', bikes like the Italian Armacchi's or Ducati Desmo-singles, or the spanish hi-po two strokes, which they strove to out-perform, as well as out-price.

There were always 'cheaper' bikes than the Japs offered.

Not really sure about that. Italian firms were offering four cylinder dohc bikes long before the japanese were, obviously the japs were able to market and sell their bikes far better to a mass market than was the case with lower volume Italian machines.
It has to be remembered as well that the jap firms only became successful in racing after Ernst Degner defected from MZ and took their secrets to Suzuki.
Until then they were very uncompetitive.
They obviously knew how to make exotic things more accessible through mass production and targetting world markets, something which isn't true of some of the smaller makers who were there a little earlier but didn't want to or didn't know how to capitalise on what they had.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

hadn't Japan been making bikes, or at least bits for bikes for quite some time?

I seem to remember reading someplace that in the 40s and 50s they ordered lots of Harleys, but never ordered any spare parts...

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 01 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
hadn't Japan been making bikes, or at least bits for bikes for quite some time?

I seem to remember reading someplace that in the 40s and 50s they ordered lots of Harleys, but never ordered any spare parts...

They actually made a Harley clone under license to HD for three decades amusingly enough!

https://motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=81
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9