Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:22 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeseybeaner wrote:
Quote:
IF the Japs had help, or started by copying Western designs; it took them barely SEVEN YEARS to surpass thier teachers, and start pushing the boundires of the technology they had ever further.

The Chinese and Korean start-ups are a very different kettle or herring to the postwar Nips.

And it ought to be noted, that when the Japanese started selling bikes in the west, they were NOT 'cheap'.

They were well priced against thier competition, but in 1970, a Honda CB125S was NOT a 'cheap' rival to a BSA Bantum, it was more expensive! Likewise a Yamaha YDIS 250 learner legal was more expensive than a BSA C15 250 learner legal. The Jap bikes were lined up against the 'exotics', bikes like the Italian Armacchi's or Ducati Desmo-singles, or the spanish hi-po two strokes, which they strove to out-perform, as well as out-price.

There were always 'cheaper' bikes than the Japs offered.

Not really sure about that. Italian firms were offering four cylinder dohc bikes long before the japanese were, obviously the japs were able to market and sell their bikes far better to a mass market than was the case with lower volume Italian machines.
It has to be remembered as well that the jap firms only became successful in racing after Ernst Degner defected from MZ and took their secrets to Suzuki.
Until then they were very uncompetitive.
They obviously knew how to make exotic things more accessible through mass production and targetting world markets, something which isn't true of some of the smaller makers who were there a little earlier but didn't want to or didn't know how to capitalise on what they had.

The Honda 750 'four' was released in 1969/70, but there are plenty of examples of four pot bikes dating back to antiquity, and the 750 'Four' was only SOHC.

I think it was about 1975 that MV Augusta offered their DOHC 750 shaft-drive' 'four' to the public, by which time Kawasaki's 1973 Z1 had provided a DOHC four to the buying public.

The earlier DOHC bikes from Itally were mainly singles or twins.

Benelli were the only wop mark to really favour the four, and thier bikes significantly came after Honda's small bore fours, and were roundly slated for being 'clones' of the Honda CB500F.

Sie 750, rushed into manufacture ahead of the CBX-6, by about 6 months was essentially one and a half Benelli 504's!

Ernst Degner's defection to Suzuki in I think 1964 (OTMH) took Suzuki from a back-marker on the GP grid to a front runner. BUT Yamaha were already there, maybe not fronting the grid, but certainly showing the promice of the hi-po 2T.

Would have to check the actual dates and stuff to be certain, but in general, YES, Japs took the higher technology of the exotics and made it cheap enough for the average joe to buy, in a production bike, but at the same time, they were also pushing the boundries of technology ahead of them.

They weren't copying Italian racers and selling them for the road; they were competing with them on the track on equal terms, and selling bikes for the road with the technology that experience gave them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Honda 750 'four' was released in 1969/70, but there are plenty of examples of four pot bikes dating back to antiquity, and the 750 'Four' was only SOHC.

I think it was about 1975 that MV Augusta offered their DOHC 750 shaft-drive' 'four' to the public, by which time Kawasaki's 1973 Z1 had provided a DOHC four to the buying public.

The earlier DOHC bikes from Itally were mainly singles or twins.

Benelli were the only wop mark to really favour the four, and thier bikes significantly came after Honda's small bore fours, and were roundly slated for being 'clones' of the Honda CB500F.

Sie 750, rushed into manufacture ahead of the CBX-6, by about 6 months was essentially one and a half Benelli 504's!

Ernst Degner's defection to Suzuki in I think 1964 (OTMH) took Suzuki from a back-marker on the GP grid to a front runner. BUT Yamaha were already there, maybe not fronting the grid, but certainly showing the promice of the hi-po 2T.

Would have to check the actual dates and stuff to be certain, but in general, YES, Japs took the higher technology of the exotics and made it cheap enough for the average joe to buy, in a production bike, but at the same time, they were also pushing the boundries of technology ahead of them.

They weren't copying Italian racers and selling them for the road; they were competing with them on the track on equal terms, and selling bikes for the road with the technology that experience gave them.

They introduced a dohc four cylinder bike in the late 60s before Honda introduced their sohc 750 four aimed at capturing the American market.
Obviously the fact that they cost nearly three times as much rather limited its appeal, but then MV Agusta were never intending to produce cheap accessible bikes through mass production.
But they were more technically advanced at the time.
Degner defected to Suzuki in 1961, the next year Suzuki won the 50cc gp title!

https://www.khulsey.com/motorcycles/vintage_motorcycle_mv_agusta.html

[/url]

calyx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on a minute!
SYM 125cc : £1500 OTR (3 year warranty)
Yungamashita 125cc: £1000 OTR (1 year warranty)

Why would I buy the "shita" ?

stuartadair
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:55 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash Reply with quote

spetom wrote:
There is not one, not one Japanese motorcycle today that isn't made up from at least some parts "made in China" and most "Japanese bikes" are made up of a majority of "made in China" parts, while only a small percentage could be truly called "made in Japan".

And its not just the Japanese. When Mrs Wife wanted a scooter we looked at Chinese bikes but she said she wanted an Italian one. Having parted with £1000 for a new Piaggio I opened up the seat to find a huge sticker that read, "MADE IN CHINA" Mad

I'm a great lover of Chinese bikes. They represent excellent value and definately have their place in the market. You can make them sound good too - Have a listen to my Baimo Renegade at www.baimo.co.uk

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash Reply with quote

G wrote:
For the record, Triumph do make a supersport bike - it's 'ok' and quite nice for what it is, but I wouldn't say amazing and can't see any massive reason to buy one over a Japanese bike.

That's funny, that's exactly what I think about Japanese bikes - they're 'ok' but nothing to get really excited about.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:25 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash Reply with quote

What do you consider worth getting excited about, then? Smile

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese are content to churn out middle of the road bikes like R1s GXERs and Busas, No wonder people do not get excited.

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash Reply with quote

G wrote:

The Daytona you mentioned is one - at least it stands out a bit from the identikit Japanese sports 600s. Or the new BMW 1000 - that has royally kicked the butts of all the Japanese superbikes and has shown just how complacent and "follow the herd" the Japanese manufacturers have become.

If all you're worried about is rust, buy Japanese, otherwise go with something that has some character.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:03 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash Reply with quote

Which bits of the daytona 'excite' you, then Confused.
As I've often said for other bikes - for the riding you could get a very similar feel by getting a Jap 4, then adding a lower rev limiter and extra weight; then maybe dropping the bars a bit for a less comfortable riding position.
None of those differences really equate to 'character' - it just seemed to be a copy they hadn't made much effort over.

The BMW is an interesting choice - To me I saw it as another 'first' R1 or GSXR1000 - it's moved the game on, but along the same lines pretty much. Apparently they bought a couple of 05/06 GSXR1000s and tried to make them better, basically.

For me, I would include the new BMW, but purely because it IS even more of the same - though I wouldn't choose it for fun.
Otherwise, I think I'd have to head to the off road genre - Maico 700 and KTM150 both seem interesting (both 2 strokes), Highland adventure bike and possibly the new Triumph adventure bike, but I rather suspect I'm going to be bitterly disapointed with that one Sad.

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash Reply with quote

G wrote:
Which bits of the daytona 'excite' you, then Confused.
As I've often said for other bikes - for the riding you could get a very similar feel by getting a Jap 4, then adding a lower rev limiter and extra weight; then maybe dropping the bars a bit for a less comfortable riding position.

But you'd be running around on a Jap 4, unfortunately. And isn't the Daytona one of the lightest? If they'd produced just another inline 4 then I'd call it a copy too, but they didn't. And it makes the best noise.

In general sports 600s don't excite me but if I was to get one it would be the Daytona. I just can't think of a Japanese bike that's interesting.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:24 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash Reply with quote

Doug97 wrote:

But you'd be running around on a Jap 4, unfortunately. And isn't the Daytona one of the lightest? If they'd produced just another inline 4 then I'd call it a copy too, but they didn't. And it makes the best noise.

In general sports 600s don't excite me but if I was to get one it would be the Daytona. I just can't think of a Japanese bike that's interesting.

Erm, are you aware we're talking about the big-uns - the 955i etc.
I'm not sure what the real weight was, but it certainly felt heavier in comparison.

The 675 does a much better job of conforming to the class specs and isn't a bad bike, but doesn't feel massively different to a jap 4 (especially if you compare to a 636 for mid-range) to my mind, as it's generally similarly refined.

If it's mostly a case of wanting to be seen riding a bike with an 'interesting' badge, fair enough Smile.

A long time ago I wanted to be 'different', then I realised I could have more fun for less money if I didn't use that as a purchasing criteria Razz.

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry yes, I was talking about the 675 - the old 955i wasn't that great right enough. The 675 is the joint-lightest with the CBR600 and one of the cheapest.

For what it's worth, every single magazine review always places the 675 at the top. I know - what do a bunch of reviewers know? But they know more about bikes than I do, get to test them back-to-back, and are probably better riders too.

What's this new Triumph adventure bike? Are there any pics yet?

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug97 wrote:
What's this new Triumph adventure bike? Are there any pics yet?

Actually just did some googling - damn that looks quite tasty. Funnily enough, I was in the showroom today looking at a Kawasaki Versys.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:57 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my fault - I see you were quoting the 'supersport' bit - I thought we were on the 'superbike' section.

I thought it was more a case that the majority of British Magazine reviews placed it at the top - but then plenty seemed to be doing so before they'd even ridden it Smile.
Certainly as far as riding goes, I'd say the 675 has matched up to the competition by adopting the same ('bland') principals.

If the adventure bike does manage to not weigh more than the F800GS and isn't too far off the 990 as far as off-road performance goes, it'll definitely be interesting.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Chinese bikes & the Great Japanese Brainwash Reply with quote

Doug97 wrote:
G wrote:

The Daytona you mentioned is one - at least it stands out a bit from the identikit Japanese sports 600s. Or the new BMW 1000 - that has royally kicked the butts of all the Japanese superbikes and has shown just how complacent and "follow the herd" the Japanese manufacturers have become.

If all you're worried about is rust, buy Japanese, otherwise go with something that has some character.

Agreed but then it is rather royally expensive too! I think pound for power many would think they got more for their money with japanese bikes, not that I'm not impressed by the new beemer.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Oops, my fault - I see you were quoting the 'supersport' bit - I thought we were on the 'superbike' section.

I thought it was more a case that the majority of British Magazine reviews placed it at the top - but then plenty seemed to be doing so before they'd even ridden it Smile.
Certainly as far as riding goes, I'd say the 675 has matched up to the competition by adopting the same ('bland') principals.

If the adventure bike does manage to not weigh more than the F800GS and isn't too far off the 990 as far as off-road performance goes, it'll definitely be interesting.

Well the term 'superbike' term doesn't really mean a great deal these days as the performance threshold was established quite a long time ago. The term superbike is a little dated really and belongs far more to the 70s more than today where virtually every large sports bike can manage silly 0-60s and top 160mph.
High performance has become the norm and no longer impresses the way it used to when the term first came into use.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

'G wrote:
For the record, Triumph do make a supersport bike - it's 'ok' and quite nice for what it is, but I wouldn't say amazing and can't see any massive reason to buy one over a Japanese bike. '

For many the fact that they are designed and built in Britain is a very good reason to buy one.
This way you support the native workforce, our economy and bike industry. Given that they're at least as good if not better than some Japanese bikes only adds to the appeal.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:26 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take 'superbike' from racing classes - superbike is up to a 1000cc bike or a 1200cc twin. Supersport is a 600cc class, which includes 675cc triples and 750cc twins. I'd still probably class the 848 as 'supersport class', though it is rather cheating with an engine up to the size of a previous Ducati superbike pretty much.

I do actually think that buying local does make sense for various reasons, if people state this; then fair enough. Sadly I'm generally selfish in this regards and I'd prefer to spend my money on what ever best suits the bill, regardless of nationality.
It's interesting to see that in France the vast majority of cars are French; which may explain why they still have a good number of motoring firms.
(Oh, and for the record; I do own a Triumph Daytona 675 Smile ).

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeseybeaner wrote:
Agreed but then it is rather royally expensive too! I think pound for power many would think they got more for their money with japanese bikes, not that I'm not impressed by the new beemer.

Have you seen the price of a new R1?

These days (very important that bit), Triumph make great bikes. It just looks as though it's going to take a while to lose the mediocre reputation they had.

G wrote:

990? Is that what the Tiger used to be?

I agree with your supersport/superbike classifications. Seems fairly straightforward to me.

I also like supporting British firms - just as long as their product is genuinely competitive. Nothing worse for an industry long-term than people blindly buying the product even if it's shite. Look what happened to American cars.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:47 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the KTM990Adventure - don't see the old Tiger useful for much of interest to me apart from the big riding position - it's a road tourer.

Oh and remember you can get the price of the beemer down by not having all the fancy extras - but when you are spending that much, might as well!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:52 - 05 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so spetom has popped in, left seven messages, all on the same thread he started, promoting chiniese takaways, then dissapeared into the etha!

Ah, yes! School started back this week, didn't it?!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 08 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
(Oh, and for the record; I do own a Triumph Daytona 675 Smile ).

Mine's nearly as good - a Street Triple, with Daytona clipons! Very Happy

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 15 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Sorry, the KTM990Adventure - don't see the old Tiger useful for much of interest to me apart from the big riding position - it's a road tourer.

It's not all that bad off road, nowhere near the capabilities of a 990, but having taken the 885i down some green lanes, it isn't impossible to off road.

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:36 - 22 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Err been trying to untangle the 'thrust' of you post.... and the reason you felt the need to post it for?

I get tired of hearing the Japanese mantra, which are actually just made in China. This is the thrust.

Quote:
And... there DO seem to be rather a few flaws in there, that could be exploited to undermine the 'authority' you proffess to promote Chinese bikes by.

It is when I was sent to China 3 times by the people I work for, that I then stumbled across the truth with my own eyes, corroborated by other sources.

Quote:
Firs of all, your qualification as a rider...... you are still on 125's, which you admit to.

Suggests that you are probably young, and have not been riding very long.

I have an A2 done last year, I'm 28 have been riding since 17-18 on 125s, 2 CBTs + a lot abroad in France where you don't need a licence to drive a 125 in the countryside. I have driven a car since 18.

Quote:
Then there is your claim to have owned numerouse chinese bikes.....
either way NONE of it really adds much aothority to your suggestions.

You also pose some intreguing pseudo engineering and business arguments.

I'm not going to argue about this, investigate and see for yourself. I am no expert on bikes but I have had a lot of experience on 125s and I think my post indicates as such.

Quote:
Not going to challenge what you have said; motives behind it are probably 'reasonable' there IS a lot of predjudice against Chinky-bikes, and it isn't REALLY fiar to them, BUT a LOT of the critasisms against them DO have a lot of validity.

Isn't that just what I pointed to in my post?

Quote:

Next, you come over as a school-boy, with an axe to grind. A little knowledge. Possibly some work experience in engineering and a LOT of reading of second or third hand opinion and report, but actually not a lot of REAL extensice authoratitive 1st hand knowledge.

Be worth listening to his opinion a little, rather than challenging it.....

BUT an introduction would have been polite....

And a little back-ground to support the authority of your aspersions, would, I think go a long way to avoiding people just taking you to pieces, becouse they can, rather than actually considering what you have to say..... which, put with SLIGHTLY more reverence to the audience its aimed at, PROBABLY has quite a few very valid points..

I believe I have been polite, but I'm not going to give anyone any grandiose introductions, reverence or audience and neither do I expect any so people are welcome to "take me to pieces, because they can" as you put it, it's the internet not the British Motor Show. I likewise enjoy the "school boy" quotes, which indicates to me that I have hurt some Japanese brainwashed egos, if this is you just stop for a second and think what exactly is it that you are defending so vigorously?

It actually doesn't matter who I am or what my experience is, it is what I'm trying to show you = don't take my word for it search for yourself, a little bit of questioning and common sense is all that is needed for the truth to start unravelling behind the mirage. I am not promoting Chinese bikes I think my post makes that quite clear. But I am putting into perspective the serial brainwashing that has occured with Japanese bikes.

Will I buy a Chinese bike again? No. Will I buy a Japanese bike in the future? Yes quite possibly but I will be under no delusions about it being some uber alles machine. Of course if you get a full Honda rip off service every 6 months nothing will go wrong so much for reliability. Give me a good Triumph from 1941-48 and believe me it will be just as reliable if not more than a modern Japanese and cost peanuts to service at home and please please stop moaning about the 50s-60s British motorcycle reliability, we all know the British motorcycle started a steady decline in the late 40s.

Everyone buying British classics is ridiculous, however my point illustrates something simple regarding Japanese bikes and that is "WAKE UP" and understand the hype and brainwashing you have allowed yourself to be conned by. While Honda for example do make some good bikes they also have a very good marketing strategy, more so as every block head is like a walking virus repeating the mantra "Japanese...Japanese" over and over, enough to make walking into a motorcycle shop make you feel sick. A bit like Toshiba and reliable laptops, remember 2001-2002? Started off reliable with amazing advertising about reliability and durability, Toshiba was the mantra for laptops, 6 years down the line all their new laptops did was break, only reliable when serviced every 6 months.

Last edited by spetom on 21:09 - 22 Sep 2010; edited 3 times in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:58 - 22 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:

It's not all that bad off road, nowhere near the capabilities of a 990, but having taken the 885i down some green lanes, it isn't impossible to off road.

I've taken my zx9 down a greenlane and did ok too Smile.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9