Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What are back protectors actually meant to do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: What are back protectors actually meant to do? Reply with quote

Obviosuly they are meant to protect your back/spine but I recently saw the "Knox Kompakt" and though hang on, you can bend yourself around a tree because it is so flexible.

This leads me to the question, are they for impact? Are they for stopping you arching backwards? Are they for both*?

Thanks Thumbs Up

*Then the Knox Kompakt fails miserably.
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its supposed to reduce the amount of energy transfered from impact to spine.... thus in theory preventing breakage.

It does reduce some impact damage as I was being beaten up in Azerbaijan my back was not as bruised as the rest of me after they started kicking me about.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woll
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was so that if you were sliding down the road on your back it got worn away instead of your spine. Could be wrong though.
____________________
Current Bike- Suzuki DRZ400 SM K6
Previous bikes - Derbi Senda Xtreme50r, Honda CBR 125, Kawasaki ZZR 250, Yamaha DT125R, Suzuki Bandit 600, Gas gas ec 250, Honda CBR600FW
Damaged spleen, damaged kindey, 2 popped lungs, 2 broken ribs, broken face, broken wrist and 5 back fractures... remember kids walls hurt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

deleted111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never worn one or even looked into them tbh but I was always of the impression that they're designed to spread impact?

Like, instead of BANG (a blow to a specific location in the back)

its more like DUFF (a blow to the back with impact evened out so it's the same 'smaller' impact all round instead of a BANG in one place).

Sorry, I'm tired.


Last edited by deleted111 on 21:58 - 06 Sep 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the name gives it away slightly. Idea Laughing Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

They absorb energy and distribute it over a large area rather than a single impact point.
If I am going in a straight line I am bareback, Hill Climbing I wear a protector.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

deleted111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
They absorb energy and distribute it over a large area rather than a single impact point.
If I am going in a straight line I am bareback, Hill Climbing I wear a protector.


So to some extent, my bang and duff theory was correct, if not lacking a bit of the technical stuff?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slam wrote:


So to some extent, my bang and duff theory was correct, if not lacking a bit of the technical stuff?


Yup, they are made of some clever stuff that flexes under normal use but in impact takes the shock and spreads it. I wear one of
Forcefield Pro these, recommended.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My textile winter jacket has a big piece of high density foam built into the back. kind of feels weird when I first put it on but if it stops my skin from turning to mush if i fall off then I'm fine with it.

Back protector..... does exactly what it says on the tin Laughing
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of imagined they protect your fucking back by absorbing impact and keeping your back straight. Confused
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 07 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they aren't really designed to stop you flexing but to absorb the impact? Thanks guys. And what does everyone think of the knox kompatkt? Do people wear them on a day to day basis or just long rides? How many people wear neckbraces/when?

Mr. Green
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 07 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear my back protector every time I go out on a bike.

If I was able to foretell the future then I would only wear it when I know I would need to. But until I can foretell the future I will continue to wear it every time I ride a bike Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 07 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are two schools of thought about that though pax Gaz never wore anything other than a helmet. He said if you wear anything else you are tempting fate because you risk compensate. Much like people in 4x4s drive like cnuts because they don't think they'll be hurt when they crash.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.37 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 79.25 Kb