Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Slowing down some MP4 video footage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Slowing down some MP4 video footage Reply with quote

Hello,

I have some video footage, that has come from a security system.

It was in a strange format, using VLC Player (Only thing that would read it), I have managed to get it in to MP4 format.

However, it plays super super fast. I am looking for some software where I could slow it down. Probably about a 10th of the current speed.

I can play the footage in VLC and slow it down, but I need it properly slowing down, so it can be used in other presentations.

Even though I work in IT , I know jack shxt about video.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the original format? You might be better off working with that and quality goes down every time you convert or process the video (Unless somehow you've wandered into an episode of CSI). Windows movie maker is a common tool that can slow down video. You may have to install something that can let it read the file though.

I've got a shit load of video processing stuff on my PC after installing ffmpeg, so you might want to look into that (might be linux only).

Also keep in mind that slowing down the video won't give a nice slow motion effect, but more like a slide show effect.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TQ
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:

I've got a shit load of video processing stuff on my PC after installing ffmpeg, so you might want to look into that (might be linux only).


ffmpeg is also available for Windows.

Have a look at Super. It's got a rubbish GUI but seems to convert video pretty well.
____________________
First Bike :Gilera DNA 50 | Second: Imported 1989 NSR125
Third: 1998 Yamaha XJ600N | Currently: 1999 Yamaha FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original format is cctv specific, i've never heard of it and nothing would read it apart from VLC.

I have used ffmpeg to convert divx to my ipod touch. But not sure of the feasibility to slow down video using it.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 07 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would let you convert it to avi though (large file size, good compatibility) Then windows movie maker will easily let you slow it down. It will be 2 drags on a drag & drop interface and it will be done.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:02 - 09 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution in the end was mencoder there is a cli option
for -speed where 1 is realtime 0.5 half speed etc.

Mencoder also let's you conert to avi from mp4
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.25 Sec - Server Load: 1.9 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 47.09 Kb