Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anybody wear leathers through the winter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 24 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Anybody wear leathers through the winter? Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Will I freeze to death in leather trousers?

You will if this winter is the same as last winter.

-11 Deg. in Benson, other side of London. I took a quick pic as I got home from a -5 Deg. ride and as I moved lumps of ice fell from my jacket... Shocked

Good luck!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=63255

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 24 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

went riding in -1C in full leathers, wore thermal top and bottoms, with a long t shirt.

3 hours of riding commenced. Not the best ideas i was frozen. Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 24 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the coldest was last year, but I was riding to tunbridge wells and back and I know that that area had some of the worst snow in the country. Also didn't finish work until 9pm some nights so it must have been minus a couple of degree's.

Also IIRC for every 10mph faster it feels 1 degree colder.

I'm even more undecided now what to go for Laughing

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 24 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've always worn black leather as I don't think anything matches it for odour, feel, safety and allure.
Keeping warm in winter for me is all about multiple layers, light long john thermals underneath followed by several t-shirts and maybe one of those thin thermal v-neck jumpers on top of that or a micro fleece jumper.
I don't like feeling too restricted so try to keep it all thin, t-shirts may not sound like the solution but wearing three or four of them really traps the heat in.
As said though its your hands that are the major killer, I always find myself going in to petrol station toilets to use the hot air hand dryer which is very effective to remove the numbing pain!
Think I'll invest in heated grips this year for safety as much as comfort, not being able to use the controls as your hands are so cold isn't good!
A lot of couriers use muffs but I've never fancied them myself as I don't like the idea of not being able to see the switchgear plus having your hands trapped doesn't seem good to me.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 24 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used muffs for a while last year, they were sports bike ones and I was attempting to get them on an NTV which didn't really work so well. They were good while they were on though, a little restrictive and a pain in the arse above 60 (pressing on levers), but they kept the elements out pretty well. Didn't stop the general coldness though, just the wind and precipitation.

I guess I will pop down to HG and take a look at what they have in stock, I will probably go for leather based on this thread.
Priority number 1 is that they zip to my jacket, so they will be HG or Pro Sport. I guess I will also by some thermals, and another neck tube since I can't find my old one, and some winter gloves.

I'm going to stop thinking now before my list grows longer Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:16 - 24 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridden in just a T shirt and leathers in winter before. Not nice. Not nice at all.

Textiles for the win.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 08:20 - 25 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my old leather jacket a little warmer than my textile jacket last year - better wind resistance I guess. Did provoke more sidewind problems though - the wind tends to catch the leather a little more, whereas the textile flutters in the breeze.

I'd always wear my textile trousers mind - keeps me warm and dry whatever the conditions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 25 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather trousers with waterproof overtrousers and Sidi Black Rain boots. And I add a thermal base layer for the really cold weather.

For the top half I tend to wear textile jackets all year round, and occasionally use Cold Killers underneath my gloves

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 25 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: Anybody wear leathers through the winter? Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
c_dug wrote:
Will I freeze to death in leather trousers?

You will if this winter is the same as last winter.

-11 Deg. in Benson, other side of London. I took a quick pic as I got home from a -5 Deg. ride and as I moved lumps of ice fell from my jacket... Shocked

Good luck!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=63255

Why should leather trousers be any colder? If anything they cut the wind effect out more than textiles and are tighter fitting so better air and heat retention.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 8 years, 210 days between these two posts...
justinsmith This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2