BCF: Bike Chat Forums

33 bhp law

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 00:37 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: 33 bhp law Reply with quote

If the previous owner gave me a 33bhp certificate for a bike is it valid for me?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:04 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nothing in law about 33hp restriction certificates. Therefore no reason why the police should care either way about who fitted it. If they wanted to they could still get mardy. Not sure how they could prove that it wasn't 33hp short of a dyno run, and that would probably be dubious anyway.

All the best

Keith

mtthwpez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:11 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

er yes it should be its for the bike anyway!
the police might not care but if you had an accident the insurance co will want to see it to prove its restricted!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty sure it is, but i've got those pesky plates around *somewhere* if you're worried about it.

It's not the type of bike to be pulled over, and i never was when i had it.

Glad it's coming along nicely

Danny

PostPosted: 11:24 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could try and find those pesky plates it would be much appreciated. Wink

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a rumage around at the weekend though i'm pretty sure they're at the bottom of my toolbox.

Danny

PostPosted: 11:30 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate Very Happy When I get the GPZ relatively legal I'll meet you on it so you can have a look at your old machine.

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that'd be cool.
"blimey, it's had some maintainance...and a wash!"

Danny

PostPosted: 11:57 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about a wash Confused Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the other fairing I put on is slightly cleaner. and more complete.

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never be arsed to find fairings for that bike, plus it was easier that way cos when my girlfriend had a kidney infection I kept having to soften up the rear suspension so it'd hurt her less.

When will the GPz be on the road do you think?

Danny

PostPosted: 12:24 - 21 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next few weeks I hope. I've just ordered some BT45's for it and then all it really needs is an MOT and for me to be insured on it.

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 22 Nov 2003    Post subject: Re: 33 bhp law Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
If the previous owner gave me a 33bhp certificate for a bike is it valid for me?

The certificate is issued to the rider and the bike, therefore if you buy a restricted bike, then the certificate needs to be sent back to the manufacturer of the restrictor kit for the details to be changed.

Some Forces will take a bike to a local Dyno for a horsepower to be checked if they suspect it is unrestricted being ridden by a restricted licence holder. 3 were taken to a local Dyno only a few weeks ago, so you pays your money and takes your chances.

Quite often if I am examining a bike after an accident and the rider is on a restricted licence, I will examine the machine to see if it is restricted and I will ask to see the certificate. This could have a bearing on your insurance cover, as the rider would not only be without insurance cover, but they would be personally liable for any costs in respect of injury or damage.

Danny

PostPosted: 12:05 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if hypothetically speaking I had a certificate for the bike but not in my name and the restricters 'fell out'. But I had a rev-limiter (on a switch) that restricted the bike to 33BHP?

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
What would happen if hypothetically speaking I had a certificate for the bike but not in my name and the restricters 'fell out'. But I had a rev-limiter (on a switch) that restricted the bike to 33BHP?

Restrictors cannot just fall out due to the way they are fitted. If there is a certificate in place saying that it is restricted but no restrictors were actually in place then a number of things would happen.

Firstly you would get done for failing to comply with the conditions of your licence (unlicenced rider).

Secondly your insurance would be invalid.

Thirdly if the restrictors had been removed, then the chances are that the rider (if on a restricted licence) and the registered keeper would be arrested for attempting to pervert the cause of justice which carries 2 years imprisonment.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 23:18 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.C wrote:
Danny wrote:

Restrictors cannot just fall out due to the way they are fitted. If there is a certificate in place saying that it is restricted but no restrictors were actually in place then a number of things would happen.

Firstly you would get done for failing to comply with the conditions of your licence (unlicenced rider).

Secondly your insurance would be invalid.

Thirdly if the restrictors had been removed, then the chances are that the rider (if on a restricted licence) and the registered keeper would be arrested for attempting to pervert the cause of justice which carries 2 years imprisonment.

What if you pleaded ignorance because you just assumed that the bike was still restricted when you bought it from the previous owner and he gave you the certificate?

Failing that what could go wrong if you just ran off? Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:21 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running off as such isn't a good plan unless you:

- Know a good route where you can outrun cop cars
- Know somewhere you can leave the bike/ dump the bike, and know a mates place you can leave kit and borrow thier different colour kit if possible
- Have enough petrol to outrun them without a problem!
- Them not having your number plate would make stuff a lot easier as well.

Maybe an FAQ on this would be good Smile

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 23:22 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

That idea was just a joke, pleading ignorance may be the key!

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law. If you are buying a restricted bike, the onus falls on you to ensure that everything is legal and above board, therefore if someone says that it is restricted don't take their word for it get it checked, and 1 of the supplying dealers will be able to check quite easily depending on make and model.

F1 International are about the most popular kits and all suppliers and fitters are licenced, they will know exactly where to look and be able to confirm whether everything is still in place.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:23 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just show them your exhaust and they'll take pity on you Wink Razz

Danny

PostPosted: 23:26 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what if I just made my own restricter and stuck it on a dyno to check the results? BTW this would be using an electronic rev limiter with a switch.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 23:29 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mention the switch!

Leave my exhaust alone, all of you, haven't you mocked it enough?

Danny

PostPosted: 23:29 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then. Would it be legal without the switch and would it be legal with the switch. Question

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
Ok then. Would it be legal without the switch and would it be legal with the switch. Question

All illegal. The restrictor has to be internal and you have to have an approved and recognised certificate of restriction Rolling Eyes

A self built restrictor using an on/off switch with a Dyno sheet printout does not fall into any of those legally recognised categories Rolling Eyes

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 23:44 - 24 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.C wrote:
you have to have an approved and recognised certificate of restriction

I didn't think that there was anywhere in the law that said you have to have a certificate just that bike has to be restricted!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2