Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New addition to the garage - now with bonus MOT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:55 - 17 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really pleased that you got it all going Gerry. I hope the fork oil replacement goes smoothly. Remember to remove the fork cap before you drain the oil, else you might find you can't remove the cap and you've got no oil left!

I'm slightly envious of you that you've managed to take a bike that was not in a good way and make it into a useable pretty Japanese classic.

I have a hankering for a traditional looking air cooled bike now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:19 - 17 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer - I remember just what a difference balanced carbs can make from my experiences on the Bandit. Unfortunately, I don't have a temporary tank yet - I've got a fairly high-capacity petrol-resistant funnel that I can use, although I'll need to make up an adapter pipe for it.

Shaft - that sounds beautiful. I'm still in two minds about the whole idea, because if I can get the CV carbs sorted I won't need to touch them again for some time, but a pair of sidedraft Webers does sound awesome in pretty much every available way Laughing

MarJay - Cheers Very Happy It was a worthy learning project, I think, especially after my initial sodding about with smaller bikes. I can't help but think that it gives off this slight air of 'old man', but since it's such a composed ride, I genuinely don't care Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:23 - 17 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
I can't help but think that it gives off this slight air of 'Man of taste and sophistication', but since it's such a composed ride, I genuinely don't care Laughing

EFA. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:32 - 17 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:
I can't help but think that it gives off this slight air of 'Man of taste and sophistication', but since it's such a composed ride, I genuinely don't care Laughing

EFA. Wink

Based on that alone, I reckon I should nominate 'Sympathy for the Devil' as my theme song.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:36 - 17 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

Based on that alone, I reckon I should nominate 'Sympathy for the Devil' as my theme song.

OOOOOHH OOOOOOOHH

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:18 - 17 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about the fuelling issue, it could be electrical. Certainly sort out the random killswitch failure first. I'm not sure of the setup in your killswitch, but it might not be corrosion - if it relies on any kind of spring to make the magic happen, it may need to be tugged out a bit to make a better connection.

Then carb balancing and mixture screw setting. At least the mix screws are easy to get to. I think we just set them to two turns out at a guess, seeing as the workshop manuals are a bit shit it would be worth colourtuning.

Oh, and the air filter. Have you oiled it yet, or is it meant to be oiled, and does it seal well? It would be amusing (and typical of the project) if the whole thing was down to a poorly fitting air filter.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:28 - 17 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

It would with a twin choke, sidedraught Weber attached, or even a pair, for double awesomeness.

But twin Webers / Dellortos are so common Laughing

All the best

Keith

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:58 - 18 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory. Suppose you were to leave the idle running as rich as it is. Suppose that when you pull up to the 'ring of steel' at work, and they ask you to remove your lid, do a strip search etc, you leave the bike running... It's possible that they'll soon pass out/throw up. Shifty

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:30 - 20 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

In unrelated news, I've just sorted the fuel sender. I now have a working fuel gauge. Very Happy

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:41 - 20 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
In unrelated news, I've just sorted the fuel sender. I now have a working fuel gauge. Very Happy

Aww maan. I want a bike with a fuel gauge now. Seems silly, but I do!

I'm almost tempted to buy a BMW for commuting... someone stop me! Surprised

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:59 - 23 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

Aww maan. I want a bike with a fuel gauge now. Seems silly, but I do!

I'm almost tempted to buy a BMW for commuting... someone stop me! Surprised

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the fuel gauge is temperamental. If it rains, I have no fuel gauge for the next 24 hours - I need to go over everything with some kind of waterproofing technology that's better than my 'plastic bag zip-tied to the switchgear' approach.

In related news, the carbs are now balanced, thanks to the significant efforts of my mate Toby, and Shaft's 'point and laugh'-fu. 'Tis lovely. I've got the new indicator relay, too, so I should have it all completely operational before too long. Just need to coat the electrical system in vaseline or something similar.

:edit: Also, yes, I've now oiled the air filter. So glad it's not one of those silly K&N 'requires the special lube' filters - 10W40 is the recommended, and that is indeed plentiful.

Last edited by nowhere.elysium on 13:02 - 23 Jul 2012; edited 1 time in total

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:59 - 23 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self amalgamating tape is excellent stuff.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 23 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's needed here is self amalgamating wiring!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:34 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Groan*
What's needed here is for the GS to not piss the entire contents of its petrol tank all over the floor of my garage overnight. I have a suspicion as to what the cause might be, but I need to spend some time on Friday looking at it.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
*Groan*
What's needed here is for the GS to not piss the entire contents of its petrol tank all over the floor of my garage overnight. I have a suspicion as to what the cause might be, but I need to spend some time on Friday looking at it.

That sounds like two things wrong. The tap should not let that happen unless it was left on prime but the carb needle jets should not let it happen also so the jets have shit or float hight on one is wrong. When i did my float hight on my GPz i made the mistake on only measuring one float but they were squint so i got false readings.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:46 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

1888 wrote:
That sounds like two things wrong. The tap should not let that happen unless it was left on prime but the carb needle jets should not let it happen also so the jets have shit or float hight on one is wrong. When i did my float hight on my GPz i made the mistake on only measuring one float but they were squint so i got false readings.

I've done all of the float heights properly, and the float needles were replaced some time back. The tap was set to 'on', so it shouldn't have been that. I'll get to the bottom of it, it's just not really something that you want to see of a morning, you know? I've still got the SV, so can commute on that (which is the main reason for hanging on to it), but I'm just a bit irritated, is all. I don't know what it is that could have changed between last night and this morning, aside from the heat.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should not happen but it did. I had my Katana tank of the bike once and all was fine. I opened the cap and the fuel started to piss out the tap. Even after i shut the lid. It only stopped when i stuck it back on the bike and fired it up to get the vacume back. Your filler cap rubber may be buggered or the springs under it not giving enough preasure. After i got a new rubber all was good again.

If you do get a new kit for the tap pay the money and go to Suzuki. The Wemoto ones are rubbish.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:08 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

1888 wrote:
This should not happen but it did. I had my Katana tank of the bike once and all was fine. I opened the cap and the fuel started to piss out the tap. Even after i shut the lid. It only stopped when i stuck it back on the bike and fired it up to get the vacume back. Your filler cap rubber may be buggered or the springs under it not giving enough preasure. After i got a new rubber all was good again.

If you do get a new kit for the tap pay the money and go to Suzuki. The Wemoto ones are rubbish.

The cap rubber does look pretty shagged, so that may well be the problem. As to the fuel tap - It's ok, but a bit stiff. Might be worth shelling out for a replacement, I guess. I'll go and research prices.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only place i could find for taps was this But they are not cheap.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:36 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

1888 wrote:
Only place i could find for taps was this But they are not cheap.

The vacuum takeoff on there looks properly budget, too Laughing
It's a brass spur on mine, as opposed to the cast rubbish that's on that one. I've fitted a rebuild kit to the original tap anyway, so I'm reticent to point the finger of blame at that - I'm going to see what's what on Friday, and hopefully get it all nailed down. I'm just a bit annoyed that I'd only filled the tank yesterday evening, so that's nearly £20 of petrol that's gone.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found the photos of my 550, I'll scan'em in at work tomorrow!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:38 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Finally found the photos of my 550, I'll scan'em in at work tomorrow!

Good man. I'm looking forward to seeing them Cool

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:39 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've sorted the whole 'dropping an entire tank of fuel in my garage' thing - I pulled the fuel cap apart, and it was gummed to buggery, including a couple of breathers, so I'm hoping that should fix it. I'm about to go out for a ride, so will report back later.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:16 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Turns out it's a problem with the fuel sender gasket. I'm probably just going to coat it in mastic at this point.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:30 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it gets better. On the ride home from Rainham, it decided to shed a downpipe. Yes, a downpipe.
Managed to recover it ok, bungeed the downpipe to the luggage rack once it had cooled, and then proceeded to push the bike back home.

All 240kg of it.

In full leathers.

At the only point in the day when the sun elected to shine upon us.

Never before have I felt like I've deserved a beer as much as I do now. Thank fuck for off-licenses, is all I can say.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19