Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New addition to the garage - now with bonus MOT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:32 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing a whole downpipe?

WTF...any idea on the cause?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:35 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably something retarded, like me forgetting to use spring washers, or something. They're not studs, so I had to pack out the length of the bolts I was using with washers - it wouldn't surprise me if it transpires that I'd solely used flat washers, which would be a really stupid thing to do.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:38 - 10 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tits.
I've isolated the cause of the leaky furl tank, and it would appear that hamfistedness on my part is the point to blame.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8302/7969476304_b0f4d139e0_z.jpg
This is the fuel sender mounting plate - yes, I know that there's an inordinate amount of Hylomar all over the place; it got to the stage where I honestly thought I could just coat the offending part. Didn't work, obviously.

As you can see, there are two bits of metal sticking out below the mouth of the hole - these are bits of the tank skin that have been punched through by an overtightened bolt. As such, since the tank wasn't empty enough to be able to even attempt to re-seal it with solder, I elected to have a crack at Araldite-ing it to buggery.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8034/7969472144_d14ff8a727_z.jpg

So, my dad and I fashioned a plate from some aluminium sheet that he had lying about, and stuck it to the tank. The liquid surrounding it is Araldite that I deliberately laid on extra-thick, so it'll run down into any other holes and gaps, and fill in any spaces. The Hylomar is because I got the plate the wrong way up first time round; although it doesn't look like it, the bolt spacing has actually got a specific orientation.

The tank's still over at my parent's place now, I'm going to leave it there for a couple of days to cure and harden, then I should, hopefully, have the GS back up and running in short order.

While I don't particularly care about not having a fuel gauge, I am still a little annoyed at having to make a permanent change to it. If this hasn't worked, then it's replacement tank time, which is the last thing I needed, given my current financial constraints.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:59 - 15 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank fix didn't work, but I've just had an extraordinary bout of luck on eBay; managed to get two tanks (one's got a rough paint job, the other has a pullable dent) and a new fuel sender unit for £114, including postage.

Result.

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 12:54 - 15 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice win! Looking forward till I next see the gs again.. and steal a go Wink
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:18 - 16 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a bit of a coup pricewise. Unfortunately, it does mean that I've got to save up some money for a decent respray, though.

Still, better than no bike Wink

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:53 - 20 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win. My tanks have both arrived. I'll start checking them over for general condition tomorrow; I've got other things that require my attention this evening.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:12 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8036/8027464813_2507ca2367_z.jpg
Shot with the matt black tank. This one doesn't have a fuel sender mount, so I'm going to be getting the dent pulled from other one, and will have it repainted at some point.

Depressingly enough, I got a parking ticket for this, too.

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need a fuel level indicator? Every bike I had that had one was useless. I just always brimmed it and used the odometer (which I am sure you're aware of)

Edit:
I hope I've got the right idea of what a fuel sender is!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:31 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have, and no I don't, really. I just wanted it out of a sense of completion, more than anything. The bike will be ridden without one for now, and I feel none the poorer for its loss, I assure you Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that it doesn't have a mounting, I thought all GTs came with a fuel gauge as standard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:45 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The petcock mounting point is further back, too, so I'm wondering if it's from a GL or a similar parallel model. Interferes with the side panel slightly, but nothing too drastic. It's only temporary, anyway.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be a GL, that was the factory custom model, with a pronounced peanut tank.

There was a 650E, that I don't think was officially imported, but even my lowly GS550Es had fuel guages.

Curious.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:06 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
There was a 650E

Yup, just seen a photo of one on Google, and it's got the petcock further back than it is on the GS. I'm definitely not a fan of the alternate side panel it uses, either. Looks a bit too 'American market' to me.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read a write up on the E and it's a totally different bike to yours, essentially a bored out GS550.

They also didn't have a fuel gauge for the first year, so that looks like it could be the origin of your tank.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:29 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting ballache from the RHS switchgear. I'm wondering if it's worth just buying a generic switchgear unit, or if I should shell out £40 for a genuine one from a broken GS.

Bandit switchgear, although having the same stuff on it, has got a different plug, and would require some wiring work as a result. It's half the price, but doesn't look quite right on there.

Hmm. Thinking

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with original, but if it's 40 quid for an unknown secondhand one, give Pete Bond a call; he's just round the corner from me and he does fully refurbed units for about £60.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:39 - 18 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I've spent the past couple of weekends chasing this electrical problem with my Dad, and we've not gotten any further. I've ordered a secondhand loom, with a mind to using it as a template so I can make my own.

I'll report back when I've got an update.

AlexW
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:54 - 18 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats up with it?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:56 - 19 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexW wrote:
Whats up with it?

Intermittent electrical fault. I'm not 100% sure of what it is, so I've got the 'new' loom to help me design a reduced replacement. There's a lot of weird design choices in 1980's Suzuki electrical systems, so I'm going to do my best to simplify it.

AlexW
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:50 - 19 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Feel free to ask if you need any assistance, As vehicle electrics are my day job, and something as simple as a 80's bike would be pish.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:57 - 19 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is damn useful to know Thumbs Up

I want to be able to modernise as much of it as possible, ideally. I figured that Bandit electrics would probably do the trick, but I'd be a lot more comfortable with it if I could check with someone who knows what they're doing, so I'll doubtless be picking your brains some time soon.
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:40 - 20 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

YellowX5 wrote:
Can you rewire to use a Superdream Reg / Rec? I seem to remember that was a common mod on certain old Suzuki's to stop the wiring fires.

Yeah, it's a known mod, as you say. Ideally, I'm aiming to install as much common kit as possible; the main thing that I've had trouble with is sourcing GS parts over the past few months - they're a bit on the hen's teeth side these days.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19