Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New addition to the garage - now with bonus MOT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
View previous topic : View next topic  

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 20 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remember the Katana forum. Lots of bits. Just a bit late with this as a guy wants rid of a 650 kat. Its on eBay now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GS650-Katana-complete-bike-for-spares-/140888971881?

Keep what you need and brake the rest. I not long stuck newer switchgear on my 80's Kwak. Easy job if you have the wire diagram that the bike's new switches are coming from. Infact the L/H side was the same wiring, only had the right to do

Just incase you forgot

https://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php

Also look at GSX switchgear. GSXEF, ES, EFE. They should be very close to the GS with minimum or no wire swaping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm vaguely tempted by the Kat, but I'm not sure I've got enough room in my garage. it's a bit packed at the moment Laughing

Also, I'm pretty certain that it's not the switchgear that's at fault: I've striped it, cleaned it, and checked it for continuity, and it's fine, according to every test I can think of.

Personally, I'm wondering if there's just a break in the loom somewhere, that's gotten worse with riding due to vibrations or something. Either way, there's a replacement loom on its way, and I'll use that to help me diagnose the problem areas.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiring loom arrived yesterday. It's from a G, not a GT, so there's likely to be a few differences, but nothing I can't get around. As it is, I'm only interested in using it for troubleshooting purposes for now.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is an intermittant fault it is quite likely to be around the headstock area.I had such a problem on an old CB550F a few years ago and ended up chasing the fault by connecting a multimeter at each end of the relevant wire and flexing/bending the loom in any suspicious areas.It ended up being a faulty connection where Honda had twisted some common feed wires together and the solder holding the wires together had corroded.

If you still have my number you know where to find me if you should need any help.

Always have a 'Plan B'

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:10 - 29 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer, it looks like I may be about to take you up on that offer. I've got the loom off the bike now, and while it appears to be in good nick, none of the wiring diagrams I have seem to bear much relevance to what's sat in front of me right now. I'm reticent to cut away the tape that's binding the whole thing together, on account of the loom being marginally older than myself, and self amalgamating tape costing a shitload compared to regular electrical tape. Not to mention my complete lack of the stuff.

I'll report back when I've got a clearer idea as to what's happening next.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:46 - 29 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, one gutted loom later:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8322854082_9679dbb88a_z.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8322853382_544ee36650_z.jpg

Not only was I greeted with a load of water falling out at me, I was presented with several taped spurs leading off from the loom, like the one pictured above. Suspiciously, I decided to unwrap it to check the state of the wires contained therein.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8501/8322853150_8a1f4fcbbc_z.jpg

Not so bad, thinks I. However, this turned out to be the best one. I'm not fond of crimps at the best of times, but discovering that there are ~12 waterlogged crimps that look like this:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8221/8322853538_2a51ba7236_z.jpg

Well, not best pleased doesn't even begin to cover it.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:59 - 29 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special mention goes to the retard who crimped this:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8504/8322096199_34d57ef739_z.jpg

Yes, that's two linked crimps, with at least six wires collated into two.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:55 - 29 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get a pattern loom for my RD350, and even then it didn't quite match with the original, I had to re-crimp a load of the connectors as I didn't have both ends of some of them. (The OEM Yamaha ones are discontinued, so I just bought similar ones on ebay and crimped them both).

I'm really glad I did though as it has transformed the bike from a scary unreliable crate to a useful rideable bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 29 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait to get into the loom on my Triumph... It's got oriental writing on it and i'm hoping that's a good thing.

*I really hate electrics... Soon I will know your pain on this one

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:34 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Given the wire colours and the types of crimp I would suggest that those are possibly original crimps from new. Just someone has stripped the loom back looking for a problem and then taped them up with insulation tape.

All the best

Keith

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:01 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Just someone has stripped the loom back looking for a problem and then taped them up with insulation tape.

I would've thought that, too, but I grilled my dad about it (since he owned it from new, like), and he reckons that it's never been disturbed. Suzuki has never had the most amazing reputation for electrics, but I rather fear that the early 80s was just a vortex of lunacy for such things, having seen this up close for myself.

Ah well, I got all but two of these crimped connections soldered up - I know that solder's generally not considered to be the best thing for a connection that's in a vibrating environment, but in conjunction with a crimp, it should not only improve connectivity, but also stop contaminants from getting inside the joint again.

I'm thinking that there was just a couple of shorts to earth, judging by the amount of water that fell out of the loom when I stripped it back, so I'm going to try and waterproof it a bit more comprehensively this time, and see if I can solve the issue that way. There were a few large sections of exposed loom near the headstock, which is where I suspect the water got in, so I'll make sure that they're sufficiently covered before refitting it all.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:17 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Might have been done by the original dealers or one who serviced it.

The yellow tape is way too messily done for something which was mass produced.

All the best

Keith

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:25 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
The yellow tape is way too messily done for something which was mass produced.

I quite agree, although don't forget that this bike has had one owner, and has only done 12k. I can't think of a single compelling reason they'd have had to tear into the loom like that. What makes it worse is that the yellow tape wasn't all that it was covered in - there were a couple of different grades of tape involved: normal black tape, yellow tape, and this weird wide dark blue stuff that was harder to shift than Rupert Murdoch's legal team.

Either way, whoever did it can be classed as a ten-thumbed spacktard.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the entire post! Hope you get the electrics sorted soon! I had the 650 kat version..picked up a doggy one with shot 2nd gear and shagged cams.....air box= effin nightmare so sympathy there. I fitted another motor to it I bought from a breakers and yes it also has a shot 2nd gear! One stupidly heavy engine and I mean steam engine type heavy? Jeez next bike I had was a slabby GSXR and I could carry that engine easily even tho it made 50% more power. I gave up on my kat after the shaft snapped so I guess it had had a rough life! Oh yes it has a rotted seat to.....I couldn't find one 15 years ago let alone now! Superb thread by the way Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:54 - 02 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
Just read the entire post!
You loon Laughing
bladerunner wrote:
Superb thread by the way Thumbs Up
Thanking you Very Happy

Got another photo highlighting the godawful work done on this loom:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8330278470_da77667a0c_z.jpg
That is exactly how I unwrapped it. No idea why it was set up like that.

So anyway - I decided that I was going to re-wrap it slightly differently, since water ingress had been such a big deal with the way it was done originally. As such, I cleaned up as much of the loom as I could, using a WD40-soaked rag. This got the old adhesive off nicely, and smells a lot nicer than a thirty-year-old bundle of wires does.

I then elected to tie the loom up using zip ties, and wrapped it in cling film. Once I'd done that, I heated the cling film so it's shrink into place, and grip the loom fairly tightly, and I then re-wrapped it in electrical tape. https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8497/8329221803_901f5bdf07_z.jpg
I don't have a photo of the electrical tape-wrapped final product, but it looked a whole helluva lot better than it had done, and because I'd wrapped it up further up the loom, leaving less wiring exposed, I managed to re-fit it to the bike in such a way that should minimise the chances of further water ingress. Originally, there was ~10cm of wiring showing at the ends of the tape, when I was finished, that was closer to 2cm. It made refitting the loom quite a bit harder, doubly so, thanks to the fact that loom was pretty stiff from wrapping it as tightly as I had, but it was worth all the extra slog, since I got the starter motor to turn over today.

I'm going to completely bypass the RHS switchgear starter button, though, since it's still not working right. I'll be wiring a new starter button in, closer to the relay that I'll be using. It's not ideal, but it will make the bike slightly harder for an opportunist thief to make off with, and I'll have an easily fixable/modifiable starter button setup.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:11 - 04 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've wired in an alternate starter switch, and it works, although the battery has been drained to the point where it won't operate the starter relay, so I've had to put it on charge overnight.

Who knows, I might even be back on the road tomorrow.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:24 - 04 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Who knows, I might even be back on the road tomorrow.

Thumbs Up Very Happy

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:07 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo and behold, the beast lives once again. I was still having trouble with crap earthing points, so I think I've managed to sort as many of them out as possible. It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if that was the original issue with the stock starter button. Either way, I'm using my new alternative, which is sufficiently out of the way to deter opportunists, I hope.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me your beast.
Show it to me now.

And well done. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Gerry, woo! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19