Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I'm a big girl....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: I'm a big girl.... Reply with quote

...and that's an insult to big girls!

I have been biking for the grand total of 4 months, with 2 crashes to my name already. First one definitely wasn't my fault. Oil, diesel or a.n.other slippery substance on the road as I approached the lights. Was a wet day so I didn't see it. I braked and my front wheel just seemed to slip along the road, I had two options, go into the car infront, or bin it. I'm TPO so I decided to bin it (well that and I didn't fancy my head smashing through the rear window)

Second wasn't my fault, but I def could have avoided it. Car driver brakes for no real reason (road was clear in front of him) again it was a wet day, I brake, but it's not enough I brake harder and I know unless I pull the lever hard I'm going into the back of him, so I bin it again! If I had used back brake too I would have stopped on time, I just panicked...

Anyway I got a new bike, but I am nervous on it, not leaning over enough in the wet, braking very early and not going above 30 in anything less than perfect conditions! I'm being a proper shit bag basically! Any advice, or should I just get on and practice more?!

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:40 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Re: I'm a big girl.... Reply with quote

superdaaan wrote:
...Car driver brakes for no real reason (road was clear in front of him) again it was a wet day, I brake, but it's not enough I brake harder and I know unless I pull the lever hard I'm going into the back of him, so I bin it again! If I had used back brake too I would have stopped on time, I just panicked...

You need to learn the Two second rule. Assuming you're on a provisional you'll need to apply it for any test. It's a little longer in the wet though, allow at least 3, preferably 4 seconds, gap.

Another rule is that you're able to stop in the distance ahead that the road is clear. So any bends, brow of hill, etc. expect a parked/turning car, a slow moving tractor or a pedestrian stepping out, etc.

Get some more practice. Get some advanced training, either pay for it or see if your local IAM motorcycle group will give you a free trial session.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You need to learn the Two second rule. Assuming you're on a provisional you'll need to apply it for any test. It's a little longer in the wet though, allow at least 3, preferably 4 seconds, gap.

I had more than two seconds, he just stopped! I sensitive to everything now though, wind blowing me about etc.

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitly get some more training.

Even in the wet, it takes a lot for the front wheel to lose grip, even under hard braking. Thumbs Up

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one you should be scanning the road for anything that looks dodgy. Might have been avoidable, might not.

Second one was your fault plain and simple.It doesn't matter why the car slammed on, you were too close. Plus on a bike, if you don't panic you can always slip down the side of the car and avoid it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

superdaaan wrote:
Quote:

I had more than two seconds, he just stopped! I sensitive to everything now though, wind blowing me about etc.

I am sure it is 4 seconds in the wet, assuming you are going to use both brakes.

4 seconds is a long long time even at 30mph. Count from 0-4 when you are riding and look how far you travel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PizzImperfect
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel... After kissing some old womans arse in her Yaris ... Sick Wait... Crashing into the back of her Yaris i was pretty nervous.. However i found that just being extra... extra.. extra careful is the best thing you can do.

Take care of yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:41 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, tough luck re: crashes, self-inflicted or not at least you are okay.

I know how you feel about being nervous and every little thing seems like a huge thing and a potential crash in the waiting (maybe it's a girl thing Laughing ). Someone rear ended me whilst I was sat at a traffic light in the pouring rain and after that every time I went out I kept on second guessing everything, was the car behind too close, was the car in front going to stop or carry on....... I wanted to chuck in the towel as I had gone back to how I was when I first started riding. It was 3 weeks before my Mod1 and I was going to cancel it but my friend took me out for a long ride to somewhere I'd never been and after an hour or so somehow I kinda of loosened up, I'm not sure if it was cause I had to really concentrate on where I was going and not so much on what I was doing and who was around me but after that and another long ride I started rebuilding my confidence and be happy about being back on the bike.

The problem is when you're nervous and have lost your confidence your riding becomes more hazardous. How many times have you followed a learner car driver or even a standard driver and wondered what the heck they're doing and work out how to avoid them......

The previous posters are right, you really do need to observe the 2sec/4sec rule. Remember it's a minimum of 2/4 seconds not maximum. I took my Mod2 in the pouring rain and kept about 4/5 secs between me and the car in front on most occasions and didn't get any comments or get penalised for it.

If you really feel your riding is that bad then maybe contact your local riding school and see if they would take you out for a couple of hours to help you regain your confidence. I would also suggest you go out on your bike maybe early on a Saturday/Sunday morning or somewhere quiet where you can cruise along without hitting too much traffic and get used to riding your bike again and perhaps take someone with you who is good experienced rider so you can perhaps follow their lead and can give you advice on your riding.

Good luck and keep practising it will be worth it. This time next year you'll be cruising along, filtering, etc and thinking this is the life Smile

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:21 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Oil and Diesel is easier to see in the wet.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I used to go down quicker than the titanic. It happens as your nerve improves faster tha your skill level does.

It evens out later on, if you keep riding.

After a smash, after a drop or whatever I would always be that little bit more nervous for a while. Eventually I would gt my nerve back and go haring after my next mistake.

Look at why you were in such bad places and then dont put yourself again.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

ollieholt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckily i did all my crashing on scoots at 16, learnt alot. 2 offs my fault 1 i got t boned at a junction and couldnt walk for a month..

its all about forward planning imagine what would happen if that car were to just pull or or that person step out. prepare yourself for the worst at all times and be vigilant.

make yourself visable in the road, always be where you can be seen.

examples: stay further back from vans and busses so other traffic is more able to see you instead of you being hidden by the large vehicle. hold your own on the road and get central if everything is clear dont let yourself be forced over to the side of the road by angry drivers, if someone is riding your arse and it is becoming an issue pull over at the first oppourtunity. it isnt worth kissing the tarmac or his sump if he runs you over.

it does pay to be over cautious until you get your confidence and skill levels up, things will become instinctive if you put the hours in.

always ride to your level, if your uncomfortable or worried you will make mistakes.

happy biking and keep ya chin up

Thumbs Up

some say you're not a real biker until you have had an off...

calyx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you bin your current bike just buy a bike with ABS and combined brakes.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 09:30 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
chris-red wrote:

I used to go down quicker than the titanic. It happens as your nerve improves faster tha your skill level does.

It evens out later on, if you keep riding.

After a smash, after a drop or whatever I would always be that little bit more nervous for a while. Eventually I would gt my nerve back and go haring after my next mistake.

Look at why you were in such bad places and then dont put yourself again.

Seeing diesel in the wet?

It shines more in the wet it has nothing to do with reactions or experience.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get to know what your tyres can take aswell, if you know how well they grip, it'll give you a bit more confidence in them Very Happy Im always a bit wary of dodgy make tyres.. because i've never had that good an experience with them..

Willson
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:31 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for extra training.

It was crashing and failing my Mod2 that told me to get training, I did, and *touch wood* I've stopped crashing and I've passed my test Smile.

+1 on the 2 second rule, when it pours make it 4. When it's Icy, at LEAST a 10 second gap leave the bike at home.

Also: Remember your braking ratios:

70~ front :30~ rear in the dry, 50:50 in the wet.

Hope this helps!

Willson

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the comments!

In terms of the oil/diesel I wasn't looking, total noob! although I didn't see anything of the road surface at all.

I have avoided more crashes than I've had, people changing lanes without looking, even though I'm right next to them, vvv exciting at 60mph. My personal favourite is being cut up in the wet and was nearly t-boned at a junction, I manouvered out of the way.

Training is a must, I want a to take my L plates off!

I was ok after the first drop - rode my bike home (20 miles) which was the best thing to do. Second one I was shaken up so locked it up and got a taxi to work.

Suppose just get on and ride! Smile

PizzImperfect
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

superdaaan wrote:

Suppose just get on and ride! Smile

Be careful - but yeah Smile

A little birdie (or 30) once told me you're not a proper biker till you've had a spill. I've had 3 Thumbs Up

1 very minor
1 minor
1 OMFG WTF IM GOING TO DIE SSSSHHHHHIIII.........*GASP*.....PHEW

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 17:55 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as the 2 second rule, you need to always have an escape route planned.

Whether that is to the side of the vehicle in front, or into the nxt lane, or even onto the grass verge!!

Get used to looking for escape routes and it becomes second nature, then when something does happen you will react quicker and potentially ride out of the situation.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training as above Thumbs Up But it takes time.
Ive been riding since 2006, pased my DAS in 2007 and I still ride like a pansy sometimes.
Wet weather worries me, the 4 second rule turns into a 10 second rule for me.
Im riding for myself, if someone dosnt like it (behind me) they can over take.
Takes a split second to react to someone in front, hit them or take an escape route.
I only once come near to going into the back of a 4x4 - wet roads, slight bend on A27 - hit 70, then stand still traffic... braked and went towards the central resivation - without hitting it of course, but ended up by his bonnet..
If you dont feel comfy riding in shit weather, dont worrie about anyone else. Ride for you, and what you feel safe to do so.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my 1st proper off, i was determined to ride that corner again and again. I'd come off doing about 45mph...slide across a busy A-road. Sussed why i'd crashed, and learnt loads.

Keep at it.

Pat
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PizzImperfect
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 21 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is why we have bikes eh guys!?
I have to smile when i see big meathead guys in their £80,000 Lexus' bombing past... Hmm.

If you were a real man you'd ditch the cage and save some money!
Topstarclub This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 21 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Seeing diesel in the wet?

It shines more in the wet it has nothing to do with reactions or experience.

See furtrher down, she didn't see it because she wasn't watching for it. Now she will be.

When it's been unavoidable I have ridden through a mile of diesel in the wet without having an incident, thats the benefit of having experience.

There will be a hell of a lot of your riding skill that may be subconcious but is down to your experience whether you realise it or not.

/soap box...

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

Last edited by Kal on 13:37 - 21 Oct 2010; edited 1 time in total

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 21 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

superdaaan wrote:
In terms of the oil/diesel I wasn't looking, total noob! Although I didn't see anything of the road surface at all.

You won't always see it, you will often be too busy watching the other traffic, the sun might affect it, you might smell it though...(there have been talks for years about putting a colourful additive in it to make it obvious on the roads).

The only advice I can give you is to keep on keeping on, keep riding, go out every chance you get. Get to know your bike, learn how it feels to ride well. Keep going out on wet roads. And don't allow the elements to get the better of you. Thumbs Up

Ride out and about with other people, watch how they ride... but always ride at a speed you feel safe and secure with. Accidents always affect you, no matter who you are or how long you've been riding.

It is totally normal to be feeling a bit anxious. Cool

Digit
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:40 - 21 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since giving up the dreaded weed I find that I can often smell Diesel spills.

Roy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2