Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

hmm, catastrophic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:50 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: hmm, catastrophic Reply with quote

Not just a regular 'error', or a 'general failure', but a 'CATASTROPHIC FAILURE'. Very Happy

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/highlander_pj/images/cat.jpg

My PC is falling apart from the inside out.

All I wanted to do was change the settings on my nVidia card so I can pipe video to my TV.

Useless piece of crap.

Any ideas? (I have already got the most recent drivers, and MS Update site doesnt come up with any updates)

PJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:53 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

That should be in Funny Stuff.

Sorry I can't help you on that, computers really aren't incorperated into my vast field of knowledge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:56 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! its not funny, it's deeply upsetting, I cant watch Blade 2 on my TV now Sad

I have to sit 6 inches from my monitor with squinty eyes to see it the right size Smile

PJ

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:59 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what, I'll buy you a magnifying glass for Christmas.

Happy?

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:02 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecstatic Smile

Ill be able to use that for more than just watching videos too Twisted Evil

(sorry, is it too early for smutt?)

PJ

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:13 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, can anyone help with my failure, not as a human, I'm beyond help in that department Rolling Eyes , but with my PC.
Smile

PJ

GPzGav
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:15 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Not good Reply with quote

This looks very annoying! Maybe it's something to do with lack of memory? If you have adjusted all the setting to get it to work I think I would reinstall the drivers, or even change the slot the Video card is seated in. Failing that time to Format the thing and start over. That's what I would do any way.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 14:52 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the look of that screen grab you're running Windows 98? I know its the long way to sort it but i would suggest getting your hands on a copy of Windows XP off the internet (legal of course) Wink and installing that, then grab the latest drivers and see what happens. I wouldn't know how to fix that error though because i've never seen it before. I would suggest trying some older Detonator drivers though and see what happens, it's pretty much trial and error if you cant find any reference to that error anywhere on the internet. Good luck! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craig_
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:57 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that too with my Ge-Force said the same couldnt just beerror it was Cata Smile

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:17 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's XP innit? Try this:

Random Person wrote:
I had the same error when updating I have Xp Home if you have then follow this if not probably the same procedure.

I managed to get it working by;

download the FULL International drivers from the Nvidia website. Beware its a LARGE download 11meg+. If you dont have Broadband then read the end bit.

run the installer but it will stop with errors. It unpacks all the drivers before the error make a note of where they go (usually C:\Nvidia)

Now go to the control panel, system,hardware and device manager. Select the graphics adapter, drivers tab and click update the drivers. Select "Install from a list" then locate the directory the drivers were unpacked to.

XP then loads the drivers and fixes the error.

Hope this works for you.

GFK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:02 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is caused by the latest detonator drivers - they're crap, basically. After you get the 'catastrophic error' message, you'll probably notice that you can't access some parts of display properties at all.

The latest *stable* version you can use with GeForce MX cards is v45.23. Uninstall the atrocity thats causing the problem, and reinstall v45.23. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get it to you.

I'm planning to ditch Nvidia cards in favour of ATI. I'm a games programmer and Nvidia drivers have caused me no end of problems for the last 18 months.

mtthwpez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:20 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gave up on nvidia a long time ago i find them to unstable so i switched to ati and i have not had a problem since
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 17:21 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say i've had problems with there cards.
Must be you up dating freaks. Just leave everything the way it is and stop up dating Wink

mtthwpez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:30 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant help it got to fiddle yer see Very Happy

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost state my life on the fact that that is not windows 98 (i assume 2k or xp), i'm preety sure when p_j had his dvd drive problemo he said it was xp but i can't be bothered to check, hmm, don't know what i'd do, a format is what i'd do, are you sure you've got all the right cables?

mtthwpez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:42 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them?

baldrick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 25 Nov 2003    Post subject: error Reply with quote

I have the 45.23 drivers & still get an error when trying to go into the tab geforce4 mx420 on advanced dislpay properties, there was a version, 2 back I think, 44.09 that is ok, but i am just waiting for the next newest drivers.
"an error occured while windows was working with the control panel file c\windows\system\desk.cpl" was the message I used to get.

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:20 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
...By the look of that screen grab you're running Windows 98?...

How can you tell from a screen grab? Confused

GPzGav wrote:
This looks very annoying! Maybe it's something to do with lack of memory?

How could lack of memory cause this? Confused

The Boss wrote:
That's XP innit? Try this:

Some Random Person wrote:
wrote:
I had the same error when updating I have Xp Home if you have then follow this if not probably the same procedure.

I managed to get it working by;

download the FULL International drivers from the Nvidia website. Beware its a LARGE download 11meg+. If you dont have Broadband then read the end bit.

run the installer but it will stop with errors. It unpacks all the drivers before the error make a note of where they go (usually C:\Nvidia)

Now go to the control panel, system,hardware and device manager. Select the graphics adapter, drivers tab and click update the drivers. Select "Install from a list" then locate the directory the drivers were unpacked to.

XP then loads the drivers and fixes the error.

Hope this works for you.

Downloaded the newest drivers I could from nVidia site, Installed, re-booted and
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/highlander_pj/images/cat2.jpg
Smile

Thats the screen I was after Smile

Thanks again people.

PS, I do run XP Home. *cough* Piece of crap

PJ

GFK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:05 - 26 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the site, it seems they re-released the English 52.16 detonators on 5th November to fix the XP problem.

I'm about to install it... I may be gone for some time... Sick
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1