Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hello - another newbie ehere

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

tifferz
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 01 Nov 2010    Post subject: Hello - another newbie ehere Reply with quote

Hello all

New to biking at grand old age of 36. Have held driving licence for many years but always wanted bike. Current journey to work means I can finally justify the expense to "domestic management".

Started doing my training about 3 weeks ago. Sailed through CBT & theory stuff.

However hang my head in shame as failed MOD1 test yesterday. Stalled the bike on the slow speed test walking behind instrutor with clipboard. Everything else was fine - gutted.

Wondering wether I should invest in a "cheap" 125 to practice on until as pass my test & maybe keep this bike through winter even if pass & then wait to buy new bike in spring next year - any advice greatly appreciated??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 01 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing DAS?
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tifferz
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 01 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, originally had planned to try to do it all in a condendsed period but work commitments means that at present I can only do training/test on weekends
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 01 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get back and get the test passed. Now is the best time of year to buy bikes. The summer warriors are getting rid of their bikes and in spring the price tends to go up by a few hundred quid.

Welcome to the forum btw
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

madturk999
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 01 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

unlucky mate you will pass it next time good luck i failed my first one not doing the shoulder check for the u turn Rolling Eyes
____________________
Yamaha r1 2008 mod 2 passed 09/11/2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jodie
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 01 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome tifferz,

I was a late starter too but decided to do it the other way and after passing the CBT got myself a 125 and just gained precious bike experience for a year and passed 1st time in August.

I am glad I did it this way as I'm still learning everytime I'm out (older fair weather rider Smile ) and I feel a lot more confident.

It's worth thinking about but I'd say but a cheap 125 not make my mistake and buy new.

Good luck Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 01 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Thumbs Up

Give it another go before buying a 125.

You know what it entails and you know you can do it.

At this time of year you will get more bile for your buck Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

psychofox
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 01 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky mate, get it booked again asap though!

I would advise getting a 125, they're handy for practising slow control and also learning test routes on for mod 2. Plus as you've been driving for so many years, riding a bike regularly will get you out of some nasty car drivers habits.

Then when you pass you can sell it on and make all of your money back as the second hand market just keeps going from strength to strength.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

tifferz wrote:
yes, originally had planned to try to do it all in a condendsed period but work commitments means that at present I can only do training/test on weekends


That's fine, I did it the same way.

It really is a decision of your own whether you feel you need/want to practice on a 125 for a few months or just get a big bike ready for when you pass DAS, and use the school's big bike until then.

The argument against the 125 (only one I can think of) would be how much would you use it in winter? Some people are fine riding in winter, others hate it and tuck their bike in for a nap. If you wouldn't use it, best to just use the school's bike.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tifferz
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite happy on the 600's which is why I had not gone down the route of buying a 125 as was hoping to get my licence this autumn & try to get a good deal on either a pre registered or nearly new bike.

However called my bike school yesterday to get test re-booked & they have now told me that they do not have any more test dates on a weekend this side of christmas. If they had told me that in the first place I would not have started my training & just bought a 125 straight away Evil or Very Mad

Now need to decide whether to buy a 125 & forget about a bigger bike until next year - is there any down side to spending a lot of time practicing on 125 if I always intend to get a bigger bike?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a different school.

Problem solved. Theres bound to be more than one in your area
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your test during the week Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ollieholt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a cg125 had it for a month or so before i passed and went through both tests without a single mark against me, practice makes perfect! plus if you buy one now you will definitely sell for a profit come spring. i made a profit on mine in a month just by tarting it up.
____________________
Laughing < This? Well this is just a day brightner.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tifferz
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant do it during the week due to work commitments - work between hours of 8.30 - 6pm & no holidays to take until next year - which is why I had asked the bike school when I started if I would be fine doing it on a weekend.

Looking at going with anither school but current school has some cash of mine which I will need to get back as they required that I pay lump sums up front - starting to think I maybe didnt pick the best school Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

tifferz wrote:
cant do it during the week due to work commitments - work between hours of 8.30 - 6pm & no holidays to take until next year - which is why I had asked the bike school when I started if I would be fine doing it on a weekend.



Not possible to have 2 hours off and promise to make up the time during the week?
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr_Cynical
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

tifferz wrote:
is there any down side to spending a lot of time practicing on 125 if I always intend to get a bigger bike?


The only downside I found to riding a 125 for six months was that I became a little lax with my observations. However, a few lessons before my MOD 2 got that sorted sharpish.

Best of luck whatever decision you make!
____________________
Bikes: '05 Better BT125-20 => '79 Honda CB750KZ (Now a project bike) => '99 Suzuki Bandit 600 => '01 Triumph Tiger 955i
"What's my motto? I like ham."
"It's a good motto, sir."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 89.34 Kb