Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Decent overtrousers -recommendations please!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

621andy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Decent overtrousers -recommendations please! Reply with quote

Over to the UK on tuesday to do my mod 2, and it looks like I might need some waterproof kit Rolling Eyes

I've got a decent jacket etc., but need a pair of trews...not sure whether to just buy a cheap pair, or start off on the right foot and get a decent set...but I don't want to tempt fate and buy all the gear, and then go and fail Wink

Anyway, what do you suggest please?
____________________
'93 Africa Twin RD07, C-90,MTX-125,H-100,XL-125, a 125UAG(CG copy!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spada Milan-Tex. Not leaked in several large rain showers and keep me toasty warm.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your nearest Millets and get yourself a pair of cheap waterproofs, that'll do till you get your full kit.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some Spada thing-mies.

Had them for about 3 years now, new from Ebay for £40, warm, have never leaked and are equipped some basic knee armour too.

I find them comfortable in any conditions, and add a little more padding from the vibey singles I tend to commute on these days.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

621andy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know a bike shop between Brum and Bristol where I can buy these Spada jobbies, or at least have a look at 'em?
Found Bikersworld in Brummigen and obviously Fowlups in Brizzle, but neither of them list Spada amongst their listings Confused

I'm a tall fat bastard so sizing would be the problem Rolling Eyes

Otherwise it'll be Milletts...
____________________
'93 Africa Twin RD07, C-90,MTX-125,H-100,XL-125, a 125UAG(CG copy!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad recommends some Rev-it ones.

I have some sparda ones, while they don't leak, they zip to do them up at the bottom is a bitch and gets stuck all the time. I wouldn't recommended them for this reason.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
...the zip to do them up at the bottom is a bitch and gets stuck all the time. I wouldn't recommended them for this reason.


They are only £40-50 though, so I'll put up with that little design flaw.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overtrousers that cost £40-50!!

Just googled what you recommended, maybe I have different view to you what over trousers are.

These are the ones I have got:

https://www.spadaclothing.co.uk/productdetail.php?subcat=10&cat=2&product=146

And what I wouldn't recommend.

I wear kevlar jeans and then use these over trousers to keep dry. I have never had issues with my legs being too cold. Although my knees do feel like they have stopped working sometimes.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
I have never had issues with my legs being too cold. Although my knees do feel like they have stopped working sometimes.


Contradiction Laughing

I was recommending those trousers based on the fact that it's bloody cold at the moment. I wear mine over jeans.

I use to wear my Dickies Vermont over trousers just over my jeans, but anything below 10°C and my knees got cold, that's why I bought the Milan-Tex trousers.

I'd hate to be wearing jeans and over trousers now in these temperatures.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bencav
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 29 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-crag-regular-mens-waterproof-trousers-p105133

These...

Come in a longer leg lenght too. Not plain nyon, and zip all the way up to thigh level to get on over boots.

They were £13 in store a few weeks back, I got 2 pairs!!

BC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed when I used to commute to college through the winter. The worst bit was cold hands. Would arrive at college and not be able to undo my helmet, can't remember if I had heated grips at college or not.

Only got really cold knees on my scooter. Don't think I have had the same issues on my motorbike. But then again I don't really ride in winter being at university. Last winter around Christmas I rode a bit, wasn't too bad if I remember rightly.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they've gone up in price a little from when I got a pair.

These are the Spadas I'm referring to/use daily:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPADA-MILAN-TEXTILE-WATERPROOF-BIKE-TROUSERS-BLK-M-/300453074748?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Clothing&hash=item45f466173c
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Looks like they've gone up in price a little from when I got a pair.

These are the Spadas I'm referring to/use daily:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPADA-MILAN-TEXTILE-WATERPROOF-BIKE-TROUSERS-BLK-M-/300453074748?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Clothing&hash=item45f466173c


The ones I've got. I picked my blue pair up from a shop for £40 about a month ago.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
They are only £40-50 though, so I'll put up with that little design flaw.


£40-50 is a lot of money!!! If anything I bought cost that much and was flawed, I'd be demanding my money back!!! Shocked
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:
They are only £40-50 though, so I'll put up with that little design flaw.


£40-50 is a lot of money!!! If anything I bought cost that much and was flawed, I'd be demanding my money back!!! Shocked


And what am I going to get to replace them? There are no trousers that come close for price and performance.

Niggly things like the zip occasionally getting caught is not enough to put me off. When I'm riding with them on, it's irrelevant.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My over trousers are different to chives ones, so they probably catch more. And the reason it catches is because it is a very tight over the top of my boots. I was stupid enough to not try them on with my boots on. I have learnt my lesson
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

621andy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:48 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update...
I bought a one-piece oversuit from Fowlups in Bristol, made by Richa.
Cost 40 quid...
Very warm; in fact too bloody warm! Kept the small amount of rain out but as it's non breathable I was wetter inside than out!

...oh, and I passed Smile)

Edit; I forgot to add that I tried on various trousers, but none could be classed as 'over' trousers. Liked the look of the Milan jobbies, but I'd have to wear them as normal trousers, which was not really what I was looking for.

Anyway, I'll look for some decent gear when I'm back from the 3rd world in march...and I suppose a bike would be a good idea too Wink
____________________
'93 Africa Twin RD07, C-90,MTX-125,H-100,XL-125, a 125UAG(CG copy!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
There are no trousers that come close for price and performance.


I've had my waterproof over trousers forever...I've just dragged them out to check what they are called... Hi Dry lined waterproof trousers. I don't remember the cost but I know for a fact they didn't cost more than £15.

I burnt the knee on the exhaust, then fixed using fabric glue and a patch and so far so good. No leakage. I wear them on the bike, or when I go out and about, because they are so good. Oh and they wash well, I've had to stick them in the machine on more than one occasion - especially after Glastonbury 1998!!! Cool
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chives' over-trousers are proper textile motorbike trousers. Which was why I was amazed he spend £40+ on a pair when mine where around £12
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 106.42 Kb