Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hello, New Biker!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Vicstress
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:20 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Hello, New Biker! Reply with quote

Thought I'd introduce myself.....based in Hampshire and been going on about learning to ride a bike for years. Given up owning horses (too expensive) and decided to get my thrills out of riding a bike!

Had my first lesson (not CBT) on a 500 on Sunday and am completely hooked - here's hoping i pass my CBT on 7th Nov and theory on 18th Nov....then DAS in late Nov/early Dec.

So hi to all!


Last edited by Vicstress on 14:08 - 26 Oct 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:23 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - same route into bikes as me and I've been hooked ever since my CBT!! Mr. Green

Fingers crossed for you for the 7th and welcome to the madhouse that is BCF Thumbs Up
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vicstress
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarre how knowing how to ride a horse helped learning to ride a bike though....very odd!

already looking at bikes, want a Bonneville but think I may be too short....will have to get out and test ride lots I guess!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the motorbike balance more akin to mountain bike riding but years on the road in a car gave me the roadsense and confidence and the balance on the bike was not an issue - if you can stay on a horse you can stay on a bike!! Shocked

I'm not very big either 5'2" and had an issue over my first bike. Once you've more experience and confidence not having both feet on the ground isn't an issue, but for a first bike I'd go as low as you can go!! You need to be able to concentrate on riding and not get all nervous thinking that you're gonna drop the bike.

Get yourself into some showrooms and get sat on a few bikes - it's very different to riding them but it'll give you a good idea as to whether it's a possible or one for the future. You don't have to buy from them just get an idea which bike suits you best.
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vicstress
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:38 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped into a bike shop yesterday and they guy said he can lowered a bonnie for me if I want - prefer to be more upright for a while I think - not sure a sportsbike is for me just yet!

I quite like the Street Triple aswell though - and the Suzuki I'm learning on is quite nice (500)

Oh well, time will tell I guess - hopefully get my DAS passed first!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:52 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big Triumph dealer round the corner from me at Three Cross, is that where you went? I really like the Street Triple and the Speed Triple is on my 'next bike list' Rolling Eyes

I had my bike lowered and it made all the difference, so it's a good thing to do even if you're not 100% sure you need it - you can always change back up at a later date!
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vicstress
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:57 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's were I went! the guy in there was great and excused the fact I was worried about knocking the bike over Laughing

here's hoping that I can get a bonnie and get it lowered or go for the street triple. I like the suzuki gladius too (or the Gladis as I kept calling it!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gazzeh
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:01 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics or gtfo... i'm joking

Welcome to the Forum!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Vicstress
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:03 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazzeh wrote:
pics or gtfo... i'm joking

Welcome to the Forum!


Hello to you too! haha Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:08 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I'm in portsmouth so get your cbt done and I'll happily show you some decent roads in the area.

And take a few pics for gazzeh Wink
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie's are pretty low as-is, there's a big squashy seat you could probably take some height out of before worrying about mechanical lowering.

Thing I found is often it just takes a little time to get used to the bike, for example if they said 'oh we can't fit the lowering kit for 2 weeks' and you took the bike anyway, you'd probably decide you didn't need it by the time you were due to get it done.

Finally, I cannot recommend these enough. And they have the advantage that they lower *all* bikes, which to my mind is money far better spent than just lowering one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Bonnie's are pretty low as-is, there's a big squashy seat you could probably take some height out of before worrying about mechanical lowering.

Thing I found is often it just takes a little time to get used to the bike, for example if they said 'oh we can't fit the lowering kit for 2 weeks' and you took the bike anyway, you'd probably decide you didn't need it by the time you were due to get it done.

Finally, I cannot recommend these enough. And they have the advantage that they lower *all* bikes, which to my mind is money far better spent than just lowering one.


Roll your jeans down though Laughing

Welcome! Mr. Green
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome.

Take it easy on them roads, there are nutters about. Wink
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:


Take it easy on them roads, there are nutters about. Wink


Hey I resemble that remark!
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Paxovasa wrote:


Take it easy on them roads, there are nutters about. Wink


Hey I resemble that remark!


I was talking in general, but if the cap fits Very Happy
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

YZFR1IAN
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome, oh and yes do get a sports bike Laughing
____________________
05 Yamaha YBR125 > 94 Honda CB500 > 98 Honda Hornet 600 > 02 Yamaha R6 > 2000 Yamaha R1 > 2000 Yamaha XJR1300SP > 2000 Honda CBR929RR Fireblade
MY BIKES Past & Present
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicstress wrote:
the Suzuki I'm learning on is quite nice (500)


Hello and welcome. I'm guessing the bike you are learning on is the GS500, I'd be wary about owning one of those, they are notorious rust buckets.

I tried the Bonneville a few months back and found it very low, much lower than the sv650 which Tonka owns & rides (and manages very well on), plus as Bendy says it has a rather squashy seat.

Best to go around and sit on and test ride a few different bikes you like the look of before you make a decision on looks alone. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay another biker chick Very Happy

Hi and welcome.

Sigh I feel so left out, I can't play with the big boys & girls Crying or Very sad ......now I wish I'd held out for the DAS even though it would have meant taking it in Nov but I just wanted to ride Laughing

Good luck on the 7th Cool
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vicstress
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Vicstress wrote:
the Suzuki I'm learning on is quite nice (500)


Hello and welcome. I'm guessing the bike you are learning on is the GS500, I'd be wary about owning one of those, they are notorious rust buckets.

I tried the Bonneville a few months back and found it very low, much lower than the sv650 which Tonka owns & rides (and manages very well on), plus as Bendy says it has a rather squashy seat.

Best to go around and sit on and test ride a few different bikes you like the look of before you make a decision on looks alone. Thumbs Up


thanks for the advice.....will definitely be going out and test riding what ever I can when i pass!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jodie
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & welcome Vicstress.

Good luck with your forthcoming tests Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nokiakeys
Token



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this mad place... been here for about a month already and can feel myself go crazy... I've already got a twitch Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 06 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your CBT tomorrow - weather looks like it's gonna be kind to you Thumbs Up
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 17 - Page Size: 120.82 Kb