Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I want a Mountain Bike - Help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

swiftb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: I want a Mountain Bike - Help Reply with quote

So now the weather has turned to shite im looking for other ways to get my adrenilin pumping. Ive always liked the look of downhill mountain biking - so I fancy a go.
My definition of 'downhill' will probably start out with some extremely slow controlled descents on pretty shallow inclines.
But eventually I want to go downhill like a bat out of hell, probably fall off lots and break things (hopefully just bike things not body things!)
So I want to start out with an extremley tight budget, less than a £100 for the bike then some cheap ass protection like shinpads elbow/knee pads and maybe a chest protector and some sort of lid/hat.
Seen a few new bikes at around £100 new which I can imagine wont last long but thats fine, - I may not end up sticking at it anyway.
Muddyfox in argos for £99 looks ok - out of stock at min tho (full susp disc brakes etc)
Though I have seen a used trek vrx400 which could be in my budget - are these considered a decent bike? (il be honest I have no idea whats good other than going on price)

Also at 5 '10 with around a 30-31" inside leg what size frame should I be going for?

Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:55 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some research on this subject, looking for one for the girlfriend although I don't do mountain biking myself.

For £100, you aren't going to get a "proper" downhill mountain bike so I'd suggest you don't even try.

On the plus side. Cyclists are terrible tarts, worse than bikers so there is a lot of stuff for sale out there with nothing more wrong with it than it is last years model.

Second hand is definately the way to go. I wouldn't take a £100 brand new pushbike along the road and expect to make it to my destination in one piece, never mind throwing it down a ludicrously steep hill (although if it's adrenaline you're looking for...).

I would suggest anything with rear suspension is a no-no too. Again, for £100 it'll either be not up to the job or totally banjaxed. Rigid would seem the way to go.

Again. Brakes. Discs are either going to be shite or knackered on a bike for that price so I'd go with decent rim brakes which are just as capable of throwing you over the handlebars but look for forks with lugs for fitting discs at a later date if you want to.

Gearing-wise. Rigid bikes will probably be set up for cross country work so check to see if you'll be able to bolt a bigger chain ring on the front and budget for this.

I'd personally look for a reasonable frame with cheaper parts on that leaves scope for upgrading. You can upgrade gears, brakes, wheelsets etc as you go if you're enjoying it and eventually move them across to a better frame if you reach that point.

So, I'd suggest bunging some of those search parameters into ebay along with your postcode and see what comes up then check online for reviews.

I did a quick search and it threw up quite a few bikes that would probably not fall apart after your first run (plus a lot of shite). I attached the search parameters I used. Always a chance of a bargain if you trawl through the auctions as well as the buy it now section.

EDIT:
Just looked up a trek vrx400. Those things sold new for well over a thousand pounds. So yes, that bike would seem to fit the bill (although they receive pretty mixed to poor reviews) HOWEVER, I'd be having a very carefull look at it, there are a lot of wearable, breakable, bendable parts on that frame and it's 10 years old now. If it's been sat in a shed doing nothing, fine and dandy but it could equally be a worn out old rattletrap.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 20:04 - 04 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Carrera Vulcan or a Specialized Hardrock off ebay. Nothing below £100 will last 5 mins on anything more than a Canal tow path.

Something like this will do and is ideal frame for upgrading.
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/nearly-new-carrera-vulcan-XC-spec-mountain-bike-/330491494493?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4cf2d4005d

I have had one and its been thrown round Gisburn, Lee Quarry and over some dirt jumps and it still keeps going.

ian789
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:02 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gadget show did a thing on cheapo bikes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8_9aKejds&list=SL about half way through.

You won't get much or far for £100.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:06 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a £700 specialized and to be quite honest not even that is upto the job of anything more than a slow controll decent down a city street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:10 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On one" do some decent, fairly cheap frames. You can pick them up for as little as £60-70 but you're not going to get the running gear to go with it within your budget.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

£100 bicycles are like Chinese motorbikes.

Some bicycles cost more than motorbikes!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:18 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from bwfc4eva86.
If you actually want to do off-road stuff, need a semi-reasonable bike.
Definitely want to avoid cheap stuff.

If you can up your budget a bit I got a barely used second hand Carrera Banshee for £275 which seemed a pretty decent 'cheap' full suspension (new price was £500 or something.)

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very bare minimum for a Mountain bike is £250. Raise the budget to £500 and your looking at a reasonable mountain bike.

I'd go for the Carrea Vulcan on ebay or go with G's very good offer on the Carrera Banshee.

I have the Banshee X which is the slightly pricier version of the Banshee and its an excellent bike, albeit a little heavy.

This is a little bit cheaper and brand new https://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-5-2-grey-69566845/

Gets a good review on bikeradar. But this is a budget bike, which will need upgrades eventually.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:39 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that wasn't an offer of one to sell unfortunately, I'm afraid (I did wonder if it would come across like that) - that was what I got one for a while ago.
Unfortunately it got nicked and the second hand Banshee X I got to replace it I never found quite as good as it was a bit abused (the spring shock and cable brakes on the bottom model are surprisingly good.)

I would try and look for cases where people haven't really ridden the bike - been got as a present or 'best intentions' and not really used.

My current stead is a Boardman FS Comp which I got for £600 - brand new on the day it was purchased new for £850!
Bloke got it on the bike-to-work scheme to sell on. He did want more, but waving a wad of cash under his nose helped Smile.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:16 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, come to think of it.

For £150 I will sell you a GT Agressor XC3 - the thing is hardly used and retailed when I got it for £380.

Just as I have the specialized aswell I simply don't need it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:46 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic specialized hardrock will serve you well as the frame is very strong. Picked mine up brand new for just under £300.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

swiftb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the responses. I appreciate £100 wont get me a great deal - but thats all im budgeting for at the min - To be fair, even if I get a few months from it it will serve its purpose, im hardly going to be putting it through its paces as im a total noob so will no doubt spend most my time on the floor or carrying it rather than carreering down mountainsides and landing phat jumps lol!
If in those few months I get a taste for it then il happily spend £300-£600 on someting half decent next yr - but dont want to spend that immediately for the possiblity of it sat in the garage doing sweet fa.
So am I better off going for a rigid frame? theres a specialized hardrock which looks about 15yr old very nearby. Are we saying this is a better bet than something sub £100 with full susp??
Or this trek vrx400, worth a shout if can get it cheap enough?

Any opinion on these:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scott-mountain-bike-/280583343750?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4154120e86

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hardrock-Specialized-Ultra-Mountain-Bike-/300487462357?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item45f672cdd5

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-CARRERA-SUBWAY-1-HYBRID-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-09-20-/220690996328?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3362355c68

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mountain-Bike-Kona-Hahanna-/160501552032?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item255ea353a0

Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:54 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiftb38 wrote:
as im a total noob so will no doubt spend most my time on the floor or carrying it rather than carreering down mountainsides and landing phat jumps lol!
If in those few months I get a taste for it then il happily spend £300-£600 on someting half decent next yr - but dont want to spend that immediately for the possiblity of it sat in the garage doing sweet fa.

But as a noob, it might help you more to have a better bike, so you actually spend less time on the floor and more time enjoying going down those sides of mountains Smile.

Further, if you got a second hand bike and didn't ride it much, it probably won't lose much value. So you could then sell it again and not have lost much.

If you're budget limited, then you've got to get an even better bargain for full suspension - more likely to get a good bike in a hard tail.

I would be pretty tempted by dodsi's bike - a friend has an 09 model of one of these (still selling for £400 on the Halfords site which he paid for his from there, don't know if dodsi's is older) and it seems fine for £400 - so a pretty good deal for £150 Smile.

swiftb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
But as a noob, it might help you more to have a better bike, so you actually spend less time on the floor and more time enjoying going down those sides of mountains Smile.

Further, if you got a second hand bike and didn't ride it much, it probably won't lose much value. So you could then sell it again and not have lost much.

If you're budget limited, then you've got to get an even better bargain for full suspension - more likely to get a good bike in a hard tail.

I would be pretty tempted by dodsi's bike - a friend has an 09 model of one of these (still selling for £400 on the Halfords site which he paid for his from there, don't know if dodsi's is older) and it seems fine for £400 - so a pretty good deal for £150 Smile.

Yep I definetly see the theory behind that, buy something half decent, but having just blown a rather princely sum on a new bike less than a month ago I cant really justify anymore what with christmas etc etc.
So I really need something that will get me away for a few months - probably to get me fit initally more than anything and just being used to being back on a saddle for the first time in ten years.
After xmas/new year then I can look at a decent bike - Dodsis offer does sound interesting , especially if it was a bit closer to my budget Razz

This Carrera lrs 3 - £70

https://www.moredirt.co.uk/bikes/1681.jpg

??

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:51 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ok-specced second hand bike in good condition will be fine.
An ok-specced second hand bike that's well used can be a complete money pit - a lot of the cost of the bike is made up of items that are consumable (ie gears, brake bits, all cables, wheels can go out, bearings etc). Throw suspension in and it can be a serious money pit to buy blindly.

I like disc brakes because you can still keep going with quite knackered rims Smile.
Cheap cable disc brakes are cack, but more expensive ones are ok.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 00:53 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, mine is an 09' model too. a year old (just about) and hardly used because I also have the specialized.

The only use it has really had is about 100 miles or so road use.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you afford £80 extra for that vulcan i posted? i started off with this to see if i was still in to mountain biking and it was a brilliant bike.

I'd go with the carrera rather than the ones you posted as some are Hybrids and some are just shite.

The carrera will handle canal paths and also red routes at trail centres.

An example of a red route https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4WT40n_Lb0&feature=related

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Always amazes me the amount of people who go Shocked Disk brakes!! Full suspension!! Razz

Like anything, you get what you pay for!

Some good advice up there, have a browse on ebay, a reputable make would help and Carrera's are pretty good quality for the money.

Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:11 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Scott and Kona always did make good frames. The ones you put up are both very basic model bikes though.

An early 90's steel Specialized frame ought to survive armageddon. I wouldn't pay a lot for it though (like £40 or so) and you could sex it up significantly.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 19:50 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
An early 90's steel Specialized frame ought to survive armageddon. I wouldn't pay a lot for it though (like £40 or so) and you could sex it up significantly.

I'd be wary of frames from that age.

a) early Stumpjumpers have 1" headsets - so hardly any modern forks will fit, and the one or two that do will be overpriced.

b) need to have been well looked after - steel rusts

c) The front-end geometry won't have been designed to take the length of a modern suspension fork, it might work nicely, more likely not.

Stumpjumpers are great frames though, I have a late M5 alloy model that handles much better than I ever expected from an XC-race biased frame.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:04 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

People with loadsa wedge will always tell you things cant be done without spending loadsa wedge.

Maybe it might be worth you increasing your budget, maybe not, but there is fun to be had by going downhill on a £10 bike off ebay, as long as the brakes work. Obviously the more you spend, the more capable a machine you could get.

I'm not in a position to advise you on what's best to get with £100, but I bought an old mountain bike for £180, that was worth £1800 when new. It needed new fork inserts, which I didnt realise when I bought it, but only set me back £25. I've no idea how it compares to modern bikes. I do know that I bought the wrong spring inserts, so the forks are a bit hard and dont use the full travel, but the bike is fine for me. It looks a bit pretty as anything that was once a premium product will do, and it hasnt let me down yet.

But then again my cheap £30 mountain bike never let me down either even if I did hate grip shift gears.

My current one is just a bit nicer and more bling.

Personally I would never want a full suspension bike, fork suspension only, as its extra weight, and if you are out of the saddle going up hill, you lose energy as the bike bounces up and down, and if you are going down hill, most of the weight is over the front wheel anyway.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:14 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
People with loadsa wedge will always tell you things cant be done without spending loadsa wedge.

Not always.
You could equally say "people that have seen shoddy products will always recommend you avoid them" Smile.

The problem with your £10 bike is the fun soon turns to frustration as you find it doesn't shift properly, stuff bends and breaks and the like.

Quote:
Personally I would never want a full suspension bike, fork suspension only, as its extra weight, and if you are out of the saddle going up hill, you lose energy as the bike bounces up and down, and if you are going down hill, most of the weight is over the front wheel anyway.

My full suspension bike weighs in around the same as the GT dodsi's has for sale (I paid 4x as much as his is up for, so hope it's a bit better). As it's designed for cross country, it climbs pretty nicely - despite 5" of travel, when climbing not only is bob not too bad at all, but the suspension means you generally noticeably better traction for various reasons, meaning more of the wheel turning is actually powering you up the hill, rather than spinning up. I wasn't sure before I got it, but I'm definitely a convert to the XC full suspension bike now.
If your weight is over the front when going downhills, you're probably doing it wrong, or not going down steep enough hills Smile.
There's plenty of other situations the full suspension does seem to help. Plenty of other situations where the full suspension is beneficial too - as I say, get a decent go on a modern full suspension XC bike and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

swiftb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

Im now considering another option - have a credit card with 0% till april so could afford to get something for upto £250 on that - or as said around £100-maybe £120-£130 cash for something used.

Can I get something new which is going to be reasonably upto the job for upto £250?

Ive seen these on offer - worth a punt over a £100 used bike or shite??

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_518215_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/diamondback-db-stealth-dd-26in-p103600

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=22568&categoryID=675

https://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/Claud_Butler_Trailridge_Gents_2010-1086-38.html

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Claud%20Butler-Pinelake-Mountain-Bike-2010-Hardtail-MTB_34242.htm

(Im sticking all these here for my own reference but feel free to have a scan at each and comments suggestions plz )

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 07 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all pretty basic / shit. Neutral

Keep your eyes open for a second hand decent one. I picked up a Specialized for £140 a few years ago and it's only just need a re-vamp.

I got given a Diamond Back the other month and after spending £60 on cables / chain / cassette / saddle my GF now has a perfectly serviceable mountain bike.

Can you not get one on the "cycle to work scheme"?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2