Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:53 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those things a re crappy. Get something a lot more fun like the Turbo or Carrera 4 8)

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBendy wrote:
Rob wrote:
I'm going to test drive a Porsche Cayenne at the weekend - I feel my christmas present to myself coming on...

Please be joking. The Cayenne is possibly the saddest vehicle on the road today. I saw pedestrians actually laugh and point when one went past.

Sick

Wassup with em? Better than an X5!?

Can't think of any other car than can seat 4 in comfort that is anywhere near as interesting!?

Range Rovers are ok, but a bit 'establishment'!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:57 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to have a massive fuel bill, just get a storm. If you want to take up all the road, just get a ex-army tank Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:59 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Maserati 4200 GT. Back seat will do the job nicely.

Stuff the off road bit. Nobody is going to seriously offroad a car that expensive so the only ones used off the tarmac are probably only there because the dodgy handling meant the spun off into a field.

With a car the centre of gravity needs to be low down, not so high that the top of the car needs clearance from air traffic control.

All the best

Keith

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:00 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an offroader, buy a proper offroader. If you want a Porsche, buy a proper Porsche. If you want to look like a dick driving round the 'mean urban streets', buy a Cayenne.

Plenty cars seat four in comfort, they don't have to look like a small-penised execu-wagon to do it! Sick

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If you want to have a massive fuel bill, just get a storm. If you want to take up all the road, just get a ex-army tank Smile

LOL! Laughing

Hmm, 4 people on a storm? I don't think so - Anyway, a Cayenne makes the storm look very fuel efficient!

Tank? Nah, no climate control! Wink

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBendy wrote:
If you want an offroader, buy a proper offroader. If you want a Porsche, buy a proper Porsche. If you want to look like a dick driving round the 'mean urban streets', buy a Cayenne.

But that's the beauty of it.. it is a proper Porsche, but it can seat 4 in comfort. Of course nobody is going to off road it, but that's not what it's designed for really!

EvilBendy wrote:
Plenty cars seat four in comfort, they don't have to look like a small-penised execu-wagon to do it! Sick

Hmm, I think the X5 falls more into that category!

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 15:06 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what it is Rob, you obviously have far too much money doing nothing at all.... See, this is where I have a solution for you! Idea

If you give me £15,000 you will start to feel happy in the knowledge that you did something worthwhile with your money by helping out someone in dire need of financial support. Very Happy Mr. Green Karma

Razz

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimma wrote:
I know what it is Rob, you obviously have far too much money doing nothing at all.... See, this is where I have a solution for you! Idea

If you give me £15,000 you will start to feel happy in the knowledge that you did something worthwhile with your money by helping out someone in dire need of financial support. Very Happy Mr. Green Karma

Razz

LOL! Hmm... but the Cayenne is £50,000. What would I do with the other £35,000? Wink Wink

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 15:11 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, you could give that to me too and I could buy a Turbo Hayabusa with it! Idea Mr. Green

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:11 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:

But that's the beauty of it.. it is a proper Porsche, but it can seat 4 in comfort. Of course nobody is going to off road it, but that's not what it's designed for really!

Hmm, I think the X5 falls more into that category!

So why's it so ridiculously tall? It's trying to look like an offroader and everyone knows it couldn't actually cope with the back lawn.

The X5 is sad, but not as sad as the Porsche. BMW have always made estate cars, made useable cars. Porsche have only really made sportscars, so trying to stick that signature Porka face on an 'urban onroader' just looks like pants to me. If they hadn't tried to make it look like a 911 on stilts, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:18 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
EvilBendy wrote:

It isn't a proper Porsche. It is an attempt to cash in on the craze for 4x4's by building a VW 4x4 with a few styling changes.

If you want a 4x4 buy a real one from someone who is experieced at it. After all you wouldn't go and buy a light weight track car built by Land Rover just like you would not buy a 250cc race replica made by Dneper.

All the best

Keith

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in everyone else's opinion what is the best car that can seat 4 people in comfort, that is modern & reliable (I know those two things don't often go together) but a classic/older car takes to much looking after.

It has to be well built, and not cost £100000 - so no cars like a Rolls or Bentley!

Ah, and it also has to be fun to drive - but not necesarily a sports car cos the Bike if far more fun to go out on a weekend hack on!

The car is purely for long journeys with 4 people..

Roll on the ideas??.....

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:25 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only *really* tough off roaders are the original Landy, ( Smile Big up the Short wheelbase Land Rover!) and any Toyota off roader (as demonstrated on Top Gear the other week.)

All others are for School run mums with insecurities about "little Johnny" and Exec types with insecurities about their own "Little Johnny" Wink

Present Company excepted of course Rob, you have taste in bikes, so I'm sure your pulling our legs about the off-roader thing. Get a Mercedes estate, It will do the same stuff and won't take up three lanes of motorway!
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:27 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They are not exactly rare. Loads of 50K cars around that can seat 4 and are OK to drive (or at least better than a tractor). BMW 5 series or 7 series, numerous Mercs, Alfa 166, various Jaguars. If you can put up with the occasional rear seat passenger just having normal space then buy the 4200GT. Reasonable size back seat (far better than the XK8), reasonable boot space, 390hp (and the quickest person on the Top Gear Star in a reasonably priced car drives one).

If you don't mind 2nd hand (maybe a couple of years old) then there is loads of choice. OK you might have the odd repair but then the Porsche tractor is likely to loose 25K depreciation over the next 3 years which pays for an awful lot of repairs (hell, for that much you could probably do a seasons banger racing in a new BMW 3 series).

All the best

Keith

Rob
World Chat Champion

MarJay wrote:
Present Company excepted of course Rob, you have taste in bikes, so I'm sure your pulling our legs about the off-roader thing.

Wink

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

I don't really follow cars in great detail, but I'd be thinking some Audi or BMW type of thingy.

Something with a proper centre of gravity. There's no way that Porker is going to be fun to take round a corner.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:31 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mate's dad has an audi A8, thats fantastic to drive. Corners well, accelerates OK for a car... a good choice.

Only downside is that I personally think the all round visibility is a bit poor. My mate doesn't notice because he drives it so much, but it seems that a lot of modern cars are going that way.

All I can say to that is us bikers better look out! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

They are not exactly rare. Loads of 50K cars around that can seat 4 and are OK to drive (or at least better than a tractor). BMW 5 series or 7 series, numerous Mercs, Alfa 166, various Jaguars.

But when it comes to it, they are rare. Certainly one that is a bit different or interesting!

As you say, there are Mercs/Beemers but they are all 'executive' cars that there are lots of them on the road!

If was after a real luxury off-roader, there is no doubt the Range Rover is the one, but for true off road ability, the Land Rover Defender is the way to go!!...

Some of the old Suzuki SJ's are also very capable off roaders!!

Last edited by Rob on 17:02 - 04 Dec 2003; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:32 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBendy wrote:
I don't really follow cars in great detail, but I'd be thinking some Audi or BMW type of thingy.

Having once had the misfortune to own an Audi I would not wish that on anyone. Badly engineered heap of junk whose saving grace was that they built it using decent quality materials (which just meant that the dodgy engineering lasted longer).

EvilBendy wrote:
Something with a proper centre of gravity. There's no way that Porker is going to be fun to take round a corner.

Don't know, could be fun to watch people try and take it round a corner.

All the best

Keith

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 19:23 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto car did a test on the porche and a suzuki jimny, the porche was £67k and the suzuki was £9 and guess who was the best off roader.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:00 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was that? Remember them testing it but not that

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:01 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months back, I still have the magazine at work.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as off roaders go, i actually like the look of the little suzuki jimmy, and i just think that i needs a bit more engine, (the Grand Vitara 2ltr V6) should do nicley, and some alloys and a few styling tweaks, and you'd have a pretty decent 4wd i reckon. Otherwise just go and get a Freelander, as they look kinda tough, and work well on or off road.
The one thing i really hate are them stupid 4WD Audi/Volvo estate cars with big daft plastic lower halfs, and a jacked up chassis. What the hell are they all about. They look even more shite than a std estate, and have bugger all off road ability!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:00 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V70 Volvo XC isn't half bad off road Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6