Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Only went in for a look around...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 01 Dec 2003    Post subject: Only went in for a look around... Reply with quote

Went into a sort of junk/antique shop today at lunch, partly just to fill a bored lunchtime and partly to escape the drizzle. I mean, it was pure chance that I had my wallet on me at all. Anyway, I was looking around the various cabinets and displays on show appreciating certain items and dismissing others when I came across a set of Golliwog pin-badges.

"Ooh" says I, "I remember them"

And then I saw it. I was caught hook, line and sinker. Totally amazed at the fact that I'd found the Golly pin badge that I'd wanted when I was younger Very Happy Stupid really. So I bought it.

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 01 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice politically correct badge!! Laughing Laughing

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 18:27 - 01 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, nice find. Smile

I had a few of those when I was younger, never got the motorcycle one though Sad , it was marmalade they came with wasn't it? I've still got a knitted golliwog somewhere that my nan made for me.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:34 - 01 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an inflatable golly, got from the tokens. He got swept out to sea one day, never to be seen again. Crying or Very sad

kevo
Cop Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 18:40 - 01 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: Only went in for a look around... Reply with quote

I have a full collection from the Jam Jars, since being banned they have become very sought after and fetch a decent amount of money to collectors.

Regards,
Kevin.

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:57 - 01 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBendy wrote:
I had an inflatable golly, got from the tokens. He got swept out to sea one day, never to be seen again. Crying or Very sad

Laughing

*Cough* Sorry, thats awfull Sad

We collected a few of them from the tokens on jars when I was 'lil. No idea what happened to any of them.

PJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:54 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racist I tells you, its all racist. I'm surprised the it isn't the symbol/logo for the BNP as they are racist too. Razz Laughing

I used to have (probably still do at home) a proper material gollywog, not knitted etc. Had a couple of the badges but not many. Sad

Political correctness, you can blow that out your arse as far as I'm concerned. It is a fucking black board, it is a gollywog etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 10:27 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBendy wrote:

Awww bendy *hugz*

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:33 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've still got a knitted golliwog somewhere that my nan made for me.

My nan knitted golliwogs for all of us children in the family, and when my neice was born she had one too, and my nephew (who, as my neice likes to say "I've got a brown baby brother") also had a lovely golliwog knitted for him too.

You've got to love my nan, she knits for England. Very Happy

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 14:55 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:

Political correctness, you can blow that out your arse as far as I'm concerned. It is a fucking black board, it is a gollywog etc.

Well fucking said!
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella

PostPosted: 19:50 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're wrong.

It is a coloured message board for use with chalk.....

Did you know that children aren't allowed to sing "baa baa black sheep" at nursery any more because it's politically incorrect?

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 20:00 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
Quote:
I've still got a knitted golliwog somewhere that my nan made for me.

My nan knitted golliwogs for all of us children in the family, and when my neice was born she had one too, and my nephew (who, as my neice likes to say "I've got a brown baby brother") also had a lovely golliwog knitted for him too.

You've got to love my nan, she knits for England. Very Happy

My nan was welsh (probably shouldn't admit that), she also made gollies for all my cousins and sisters, strange tradition really, she could have just made teddy bears. Confused

Annabella

PostPosted: 20:04 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think nans get more left over black wool than they do teddy bear brown from all the school uniforms they have to knit. Hence golly wogs. Or maybe it was a free pattern in "Knitting Pleasure" back in the 50s Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:06 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
No, you're wrong.

Well that will really confuse the kids. Black is not a colour, it is a lack of colour.

All the best

Keith

Annabella

PostPosted: 20:09 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...but... Uncle Keiff...... you get black when you mix all the colours in the paint tub together....

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:12 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered last night that I also had a gollywog doll - he wasn't knitted, he was made out of fabric and had tartan trousers, a green and white checked shirt, red bow tie and a very dapper green tailcoat that later graced my Gordon the Gopher. Cool

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:28 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
No, you're wrong.

Did you know that children aren't allowed to sing "baa baa black sheep" at nursery any more because it's politically incorrect?

So what do kids call black sheep then? Smile

Keith wrote:

Annabella wrote:

No, you're wrong.

Well that will really confuse the kids. Black is not a colour, it is a lack of colour.

All the best

Keith

They use white boards now anyway... so ... is it politically incorrect to call a white board a white board if its 'wrong' to call a black board a black board? Confused

Since when have politicians been correct in anything at all anyway. Useless lying sons off ...

PJ

Annabella

PostPosted: 20:35 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_J wrote:

They use white boards now anyway... so ... is it politically incorrect to call a white board a white board if its 'wrong' to call a black board a black board? Confused

PJ

Not in my old school they don't! They can't afford to upgrade the Victorian decor (nor install showers the last time I checked Sick )

Cassy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

i still sing baa baa black sheep with the kids at pre school, some nurseries dont like it tho Rolling Eyes . i think britian is becoming racist towards white people and descriminating against christians. i think its gone to far!

Cassy

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 20:45 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Annabella wrote:
No, you're wrong.

Well black doesn't reflect any colours, but who's to say that if you shine a black light at something black it won't reflect it? Just like green things only reflect green light, blue things only reflect blue light and so on. Laughing Wink

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 10:23 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilBendy wrote:
I remembered last night that I also had a gollywog doll - he wasn't knitted, he was made out of fabric and had tartan trousers, a green and white checked shirt, red bow tie and a very dapper green tailcoat that later graced my Gordon the Gopher. Cool

Sounds similar to mine. Very Happy

Quote:
They use white boards now anyway...

I believe they are called WIPE boards - its all arse wipe to me though, its black, its a black board. Why the hell that should offend someone is beyond me.

Quote:
so ... is it politically incorrect to call a white board a white board if its 'wrong' to call a black board a black board?

Correct, however in my line of thinking its white so its a white board. Oh no, your discriminating that board as its white/black/pink/indigo fucking poker dotted.

FFS I'm white (well more pinky), Ainsly (the cook) is black, mystique ladies are milky brown, Gandi was mucky, chairman Mao yellow and fucking martians are green. People want to stop been so soft.

Right I'm off for a lie down before I kill someone.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex is correct. 'Blackboards' are now known as chalkboards. 'Whiteboards' are referred to as wipeboards. If you think that is crazy then you should hear the other PC madness that is happening in our schools Confused

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 11:02 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even say how incredibly stupid and pointless i think political correctness is, because people would call me a racist facist sexist vegitarianist whatever. Weird how political correctness is enforced, and yet anyone who isn't politically correct suddenly gets a load of none politically correct verbal back eh? Soon we'll find ourselves getting shouted at for talking about blackbirds or bluetits (no tit jokes please)!!!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm incredibly angry that they would even think about calling a bird such an offensive and blatently racist name such as 'blackbird' but I'm even more angry at you for saying it Sad

Discrimination I tell you

Razz

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 11:25 - 03 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since one of the sex's of that coloured bird is brown!

/me walks off in a PC correctness shove it up your jacksee mode.

3-2 odd's I slap someone today!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2