Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What ever happened to 'the can'

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: What ever happened to 'the can' Reply with quote

I for one think bikes in general look better with a traditional can, alot of new bikes have these style exhausts that look hideous. Is this just me getting old?


Good

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/GrahamVFR/ZX6R%20636%20B1H/Random/3.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_0061.jpg

https://foto.scigacz.pl/cache/imgs/_w750/gallery/uzywane/Ducati_916_godzina_9_16_czyli_czas_na_legende/Ducati_916_termignoni.jpg

OK

https://www.bikebits4you.com/images/categories/er-6n2.jpg

https://www.motorcyclesupermarket.com/images/bikes/images/10781.1267050035.A.jpg

Baaaaad

https://www.visordown.com/uploads/images/Large/15709.JPG

https://www.encyclomoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/gsxr1000_2007_01_thaaaaaaaa.jpg
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more!

It seems the only decent looking cans are aftermarket which means more money if your buying a bike.
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think your getting old, I'm 22 and I way prefer the old style cans than the new designer fag cans.
____________________
Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:
I don't think your getting old, I'm 22 and I way prefer the old style cans than the new designer fag cans.


Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Im 15 Laughing

Well 16 in 5 days but, you know Wink
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard cans have never been great looking IMO.

Old ones were huge and too plain and shiny.

Bikes need to have a market for exhaust companies IMO. Not sure if they get any form of commision, but keeping the costs down.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Billing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more, very very few new bikes have nice looking exhausts from the factory, the above examples are spot on IMO
____________________
'84 TS50X, '91 TZR125, '89 CBR400RR, '91 VFR400R NC30, '98 R1
"Hey copernicus! Why don't you navigate yourself to the back of the line with your feet and stand there with your shit."
BCF Eastern members map here ---> g.co/maps/2tm8b PM me to be added to it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im totally with you, the can on my TT looks like a spud gun but IMO is a lot better than the stock cans on modern bikes. Why the sudden shift in design style?
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the majority.

The new exhausts are fuglier than fugly.

https://www.sportmotorcycles.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Honda-CBR1000RR-2010-SuperSport-Motorcycles.JPG

WTF has happened to this?

https://www.indiancarsbikes.in/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Honda-vfr1200-Motorcycle-2010-India.jpg

Even the VMax has suffered fuglyitus

https://www.besportier.com/archives/2010-motorcycle-cruisers-yamaha-star-stratoliner-deluxe.jpg

Not nice. I'm sure theres some bollocks about emission laws etc that they can blame for it but sheesh a little design wouldnt go amis
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

imanupstart
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cans are always the first thing I change on a bike, suzuki are the worst imo, horrible whale cock exhaust Sick
https://static.blogo.it/motoblog/suzuki-gsx-r-600-e-1000-replica-tourist-trophy-2008/Suzuki_GSXR_600_Replica_TT_1.jpg


Last edited by imanupstart on 20:04 - 28 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know. Remember the early 80's when people still commented that tapering 'maga-phone' exhausts looked funny compared to the old pea-shooter, and thought that two-stroke expansion chambers just looked daft!
Then BMW, not renouned for being particularly avante-guarde; still extolling the virtues of a 1912 Duglas 3 1/3 turned sideways and given shaft drive, released, 'the brick'.
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3095/2663872252_768d382d23.jpg
It was something of a shock to the system, after the old push-rod boxers, with a double overhead cam, 16v water-cooled, four cylinder motor, mounted on its side, longdetudinally, and curiousely many just couldn't quite accept it, so more column inches of magazine reviews and pub debate were devoted to the 'concept four' = "square" styling.... that included the square section exhaust, that was probably THE most talked about feature!
Personally? I am ambivolent. I'm not that exited about modern bikes any more, dont think anything has got me particularly exited since the original fire-blade, in 93, and the '97 ZX6 Ninja, sealed my lack of enthusiasm; bikes were becoming 'boring'.
They were going like leggo. All the fancy special 'parts' to make a space-ship that actuually looked like the space shuttle, rather than a heavily pixilated aproximation, that made the model on the box so much more like what you expected, but that you couldn't use to make a funky speed-boat instead.....
Modern sports bikes are even more like that; the whole thing is styled as a whole, the exhausts are just one styling queue, and I suppose if the styling 'works' as a whole, and the exhausts 'fit' in that styling theme, then they look 'OK'... certainly a lot better than that box on the back of the 'brick'!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my bike has an exhaust fitted somewhere on it.
It was on when I bought it and it still works fine. So no need to change it. Razz
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention the new VFR!

I swear crossers are the only ones to come with normal exhausts nowadays.
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it is trying to emulate motoGP exhausts, except that they need a lot of silencing, and often cat's to get through emissions, so its a caseif trying to cram all that crap into there. I'm not a fan of the old style cans so much either, they're usually too long and wide due to being round. Ideally i think the exhaust should be as close to invisible as possible, either coming out the belly pan, or the seat unit. e.g.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3565/3290606375_5a651c3412.jpg?v=0

Epic win.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

baldy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

under seat cans for the win. I think the akra on my blade is sexy as fook. I almost want to make love to it every time i open the garage door. Shocked

Just seeing its gaping hole that spews out the sound of angels and sometimes a few tears when its cold... Wink

Exhausts are like a womans butt, you want it to look good and be seen not hidden under thier armpit or sticking out of thier side.

So, erm....

under seat are best. It's where they belong. Thumbs Up
____________________
One day i will rule the world, just not today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldy wrote:
under seat cans for the win. I think the akra on my blade is sexy as fook. I almost want to make love to it every time i open the garage door. Shocked

Just seeing its gaping hole that spews out the sound of angels and sometimes a few tears when its cold... Wink

Exhausts are like a womans butt, you want it to look good and be seen not hidden under thier armpit or sticking out of thier side.

So, erm....

under seat are best. It's where they belong. Thumbs Up


I agree. I mean:
https://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/2009-yamaha-R1-yoshimura-R77.jpg

I saw an r1 with Termi's not long ago doing probably around 70 in a 30 near me. Came flying past then up to a set of traffic lights. Didn't brake as there was no traffic and the lights were green but he shut off and I jizzed. The backfire and popping on decelleration with the scream as it went past was magic.

But I do think r1's underseat exhaust's look the best!
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:16 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet that spazzer exhausts were introduced as a way to tell modern SuperSportsTouring-stylee bikes apart. And now they all have them, and all look the same again. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, not a new thing, just seems to be the current stylish:
https://www.vyxxn.co.uk/catalog/images/honda%20bros650.jpg
Ok, not quite the same, but similar enough.

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd bet that spazzer exhausts were introduced as a way to tell modern SuperSportsTouring-stylee bikes apart. And now they all have them, and all look the same again. Very Happy

Thought more sports bikes got them first if anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

https://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/dt1111/CIMG1071.jpg

The new MV F4 with the squared of exhausts are nice too
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lewis87
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the standard exhaust back on my R1 and I think it looks good for a standard can Thumbs Up I even like how it looks so huge, like a piece of artillery Laughing I don't think you need to be old to like a more "traditional" exhaust, I was only 11 when my R1 was new. I had an 07 ZX6R with an underseat akrapovic and I liked that too though.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/lewis203/DSC01128.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

computer wrote:
I put the standard exhaust back on my R1 and I think it looks good for a standard can Thumbs Up I even like how it looks so huge, like a piece of artillery Laughing I don't think you need to be old to like a more "traditional" exhaust, I was only 11 when my R1 was new. I had an 07 ZX6R with an underseat akrapovic and I liked that too though.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/lewis203/DSC01128.jpg


Hold the phone...

Thats standard? Shocked
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
As above, not a new thing, just seems to be the current stylish:
https://www.vyxxn.co.uk/catalog/images/honda%20bros650.jpg
Ok, not quite the same, but similar enough.

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd bet that spazzer exhausts were introduced as a way to tell modern SuperSportsTouring-stylee bikes apart. And now they all have them, and all look the same again. Very Happy

Thought more sports bikes got them first if anything.

The difference between that (which I quite like) and the current exhausts is the apparent love of geometric shapes and black plastic. What's wrong with a nice simple round stainless steel can?
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lewis87
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD wrote:
computer wrote:
I put the standard exhaust back on my R1 and I think it looks good for a standard can Thumbs Up I even like how it looks so huge, like a piece of artillery Laughing I don't think you need to be old to like a more "traditional" exhaust, I was only 11 when my R1 was new. I had an 07 ZX6R with an underseat akrapovic and I liked that too though.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/lewis203/DSC01128.jpg


Hold the phone...

Thats standard? Shocked


Yeah, the 98 red and white R1 came with the carbon fibre exhaust.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is your aftermarket zorst like then?

I would have kept that!
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lewis87
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD wrote:
So what is your aftermarket zorst like then?

I would have kept that!


The bike came with a horrible blue flame end can which just looked cheap but I got the standard one with it too so swapped them over. I would maybe swap the standard exhaust for a carbon fibre akrapovic but that is it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Wilson12345 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 1.67 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 136.54 Kb